Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

What I want them to add are some proper thin floor/roof tiles that are aren't 5 feet thick so I can properly run convey belts, at the very least, either above or below all the machinery. The foundation tiles just eat up too much room.

Or maybe a floor grate tile that will create a small opening automatically if you run a belt or lift through it so you don't have to sacrifice possible floor space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

One reason why so much space gets taken up is that the only input/output to smelters/constructors/assemblers is located exclusively in the front and rear, rather than side by side. This has so many bits for compacting conveyor belts but very little in the way to squeeze machinery together in an organized or organic way.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPa9wSimOiA

Another teaser.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I just place smelters next to whatever is being mined and then have trucks pick the ingots or whatever and deliver them to a giant storage building next to my central factory or a secondary site.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

Do you do it this way just to save space at your actual base? It can't be about efficiency of transport, since one iron/copper ore smelts into one ingot.
EDIT: pretty happy to see wall power plugs in that video

My main factory keeps changing in design and scope as I go up in the tiers, while my mining sites don't, so rather than trying to redesign my factory to accommodate a million different belts being pipped in from a million locations, I just have to change the routes slightly with my trucks.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mr. Powers posted:

Update 3 is great but I need a dedicated server. Maybe that will show up with steam in March.

Wait, update 3 is out, I thought it wasn't being released until the 11?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Just check to see if your pipes have the maximum flow you can output, if it’s coming up short, you either need to add a pump to the line where the short starts or whatever your feeding is sucking up more water than you can provide.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I have a nice set-up for a 2 floor 3 x 5 factory that has 4 constructor and 4 assemblers that has become my go to design, but they're a pain in the rear end to set-up every time because how small it is, everything needs to fit perfectly or I have to scrap everything and start over. If we had some sort blueprint system it would take a lot of the pointless busy work that seems to be the problem in this game.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Duodecimal posted:

Already lives within his prison of belts, a jail of intersections reaching the boundary only to erect more walls and wires to bind himself to his twisted purgatory.

Worst of all, it's a prison of your own psychotic design.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, started a little playing Factorio for the first time, some of the QoL stuff just fills me with envy. I wish Satisfactory would emulate a few of its features.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I’m starting to wish there were floor platforms you could attach to an elevator or something just so I don’t have to build ramps everywhere for my vehicles.

E: or a crane of some sort that I can automate.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Sereri posted:

I just noticed that the pipes in the background of the steam news update have non-orange colors

So at least that's getting added :rory:

You can color pipes with the paint gun.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvdlZ6e_o5Q
I guess they're adding a fluid packaging machine with the fluid update?

I haven't really played a lot in the oil tier, but I guess the idea is currently you use refineries to pack fluids, and this is splitting that off?

"There is no mk2."

:smith:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Ladders.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Not having a blueprint system is a big problem because as the game goes on, it wants you to build more and more on top requiring you to make factories more complex, everything starts to scale up, but not make things easier, but for the sake of just making things more complex. That's a big difference between Factorio and Satisfactory, in Factorio as you start building bigger and more complex factories the game start introducing interesting QoL features that make doing so easier and easier as you progress through the game, in Satisfactory on the other hands, a late game player isn't anymore capable of building anything better beyond how they started the game, despite the game requiring to do more.

I don't want to have to remember where I built everything exactly when I try duplicate a basic parts factory that I somehow jam something like 10 constructors in a 5x6, it's tedious.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 23, 2020

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Klyith posted:

Well, you're wrong. I mostly enjoy the slow and repetitive nature of builds here, I find it relaxing. I wouldn't call it the core gameplay, but it's one of the 3 or 4 main elements of the game. And it's the game as it is, rather than some other game or some idea I imagine I'd like better.

It's like, the thought and choice part is best done entirely outside of the game, on paper or with satisfactory-calculator or satisfactorytools. Which a ton of people use despite the fact they remove a ton of that thought and choice you say are the core of the game.

So how I see the gameplay elements of Satisfactory are:
• planning, math, graph paper
• exploration, hunting for drives, picking up slugs, just driving around scouting the locations
• slow building like we did it in minecraft (also a game without blueprints)

As I said before, to me a coal plant is a relaxing build where can skip the graph paper and just lay out buildings and pipes. It takes an evening or two and is done, I can listen to a podcast even. (I don't normally do game + podcast, because I can't split attention for poo poo.)

That said, I have no objection to things like this:

but I think the gap between "limited blueprints" and "magic wand" is narrower than you think. And the just don't use it then argument only applies if the game balance makes blueprints completely optional. (Also it's no more or less valid as just use mods then. Copy & paste is already in mods and the game is still unfinished.)

Here is the thing, you're play-style would still exist with any of the QoL features suggested while at the same time the game would become infinitely more accessible to people who only tolerate that tedium to a degree. Also, don't bring Minecraft into this, it's like comparing Duplo to Technic, their similarity are superficial at best.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 24, 2020

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Did we ever find out what the "mysterious" building from the teaser was?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Frekkie Melody posted:

Does exploration/combat give you anything yet?

Last I played this game it was all "build level 1 mcguffing generator to spit out parts for a slightly faster level 2 mcguffin generator"

And I did that for something like 70 hours but none of it even amounted to anything. Unlike factorio where you eventually start making nuclear weapons, tanks and cannons etc.

That would require a need to build such thing, which in term would require the world to be a little more interactive and/or hostile, which I'm for, but I don't think the developer have any interest in doing anything like that; much of their effort seems to be focus filling their tier list with mk2 or mk3 of X.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Frekkie Melody posted:

Maybe I'm the odd one out from this type of game.

I was always about automating production of ammo and explosives so I could rampage through bug nests and collect valuable materials to bring back home to base. Not to much automation for its own sake.

When I played this game the first time I saw flying manta like things and thought "I can't wait to see what those things drop once this game has SAM-Sites.

You are definitely not alone in that regard.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Feels like an oversight that you can't feed packaged water into Foundries.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

What is that guys accent? It seems like he slips into some sort of British accent occasionally. It doesn't matter in the long run I'm just curious.

Sounds like a normal Swedish accent to me, but what do I know, I'm from Texas.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

lagidnam posted:

New video, this time they show the new gas buildings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxh8kvtUuxY

That’s cool I guess, but doesn’t seem like they’re adding anything that directly effects the player. Because that’s a big problem with the game overall.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

In what way? It looks like the new extractors are going to be a new way of handling resource extraction, and the gas pipelines are likely to end up behaving differently to liquids. Along with the blender building more of your factory designs are going to involve fluid handling in general.

Do you just mean in terms of actual player upgrades? Because in that case it's true, they haven't shown off any new tools/equipment, and I don't think they did with the fluids update either.

A lot of this game is focused around making parts for the sake of making more part, other single purchase upgrades which are few in number, we don't use these parts for anything.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

A Moose posted:

Sounds like all the people that want to play tower defense should just play something like Rimworld, where you can organize stuff and build a base, but there's much more combat

Sorry for suggesting the game have a little more depth

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

My take away from the tease is that they made waste disposal ten times more complex, while achieving nothing.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

S T O P putting out more cosmetic pieces until we have a way to assemble them which isn't part by part, please

One thing I noticed in the trailer is that they didn’t just add new stuff but replaced things too. Like the stairs blend into the foundation better or wall conveyor belt allows for proper spacing for mergers/splitters, but yeah, I wish they’d take a que or two from the modding community implement stuff like the SMART builder or the procedurally generated builder based on player habits.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVVmTAZCHJU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl0gWGnm2bM

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Patch day maybe.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dear God, never enough of them loving screws. I think I'm gonna stake another iron+coal claim and make a huge factory that just makes screws.

I hate screws. The game goes out of its way to discourage making buses by decentralizing basic materials from most parts. Except it in the case of screws, but even then it’s not enough because recipes requires a crap ton of them and you can only move so many of down a belt. They bottle neck everything and not in a fun way that encourages you to be creative; the only solution is to brute force it or get stupidly lucky with an alt. recipe. :argh:

E: Stupid iPhone autocannon

E2: Why would you change “auto-correct” to autocannon!?:negative:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 23, 2021

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Where is my update?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Peewi posted:

Today is September 26th. The update is coming October 26th.

I dumb. :downs:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Whoever suggested having a crawl space between factory floors to hide belts, thank you. I’ve gone being able to fit 10 constructors to 12 in my 6x6 buildings with plenty of extra space to move around.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

priznat posted:

Is there a Hardspace: Shipbreaker thread? It's pretty similar to Satisfactory in a lot of ways (heck could exist in the same "universe") and I've been just playing nothing but that lately. It's coming out of early access on the 24th and will be on Xbox Game Pass (PC) then too.

Super fun and when things go haywire (oops I lazer cut the wrong thing and now stuff is exploding!) it gets pretty wild. Looking forward to what 1.0 adds!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928162

Thread is kind of dead because most don't want to get burned out before the 1.0 release.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

New uniform spotted!

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If you're talking about the yellow one at 45 seconds, that's just someone wearing a hazmat suit,

Oh man, thought we final got the ability to color our suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Man, what I wouldn't give for them to make evaluators of some kind.