Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I got this game and I have to say: 15/10. Please send help in the form of addiction counselors.

I'm gonna loving die when they clean up the multiplayer issues and expand the tech tree. Also if/when they set up a proper random map generator...

Edit: The randomized alternate recipes add so much replay to this. Also there's a part of me that's wanting to restart, finding it easier to just start from scratch than refactor my base. Another part wants me to keep sitting in denial about how I'm up to oil and I simply do not have enough screw production because I'm trying to shove it all through a single belt.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Han Nehi posted:

Argh, gently caress trucks. One of my sugarcubes decided to drive into a lake, so when I got trucks I built a huge beautiful long-rear end freeway with walls on either side. Set up the truck stops and programmed the routes ... then I found out that trucks can't drive up a 4m ramp. :doh:

So I used my beautiful freeway to build conveyors instead. You know what never drives into a lake? Conveyors.

Also, should I go hog wild with fuel generators? The internet doesn't seem thrilled with them. Should I stick with coal until I get nuclear or something?

Edit: RIP, truck freeway:

To be fair, the 4m ramps are tall as gently caress ramps. I've barely dipped into this game and I quickly figured out that I really should use the 2m ramps for actual roads. On the plus side I have noticed that however finicky it is, the pathing AI is surprisingly robust. I watched my first tractor come down a ramp, screw up the U-turn and smack into the side of the truck station on it's first AI go then back up and fix itself. Then every other subsequent path it adjusted and successfully navigated the U-turn.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just keep a good power capacity buffer and overclock whatever needs it for the current end-products I'm making, and a few nodes.

I'm truly lazy though, I have a Poor copper node overclocked instead of actually finding a better node :haw:

Honestly buffing nodes is probably the best use for power cores. Though you can only buff an impure node so far :v:

Me new at the game: I think I'll start in the grasslands because it's safe-ish.
Me a bit later: The other areas are way more awesome and high-end resources aren't forever away (except for the desert).
Me now: IF IT HAS IRON, COPPER AND LIMESTONE IT'S A START LOCATION :black101:

(Also between Satisfactory and Factorio we really need some engineering/exoplanet despoiler version of :black101:)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LonsomeSon posted:

Give me this, and a basic prevailing wind direction so there can be an expanding pollution plume downwind. The building animations already have plumes coming out of their stacks with consistent directions ~

I'm amazed that this game's particle physics actually respect blockages as well as they do. Put some smelters or foundries beneath a ceiling and the smoke they produce actually slams into the ceiling and moves off to the side. Of course it does go with the general wind direction instead of properly smogging up the place but it's still pretty good.

My real list of wants:
-A proper procedural map generator (even if it is smaller than the monster, hand created map we have now)
-The ability after the final tier to just slam resources into your space elevator to send upwards. Kind of like the AWESOME grinder but as an actual goal and not just a dump you're rewarded for
-Coal plants to just have a bigger, proper plume of smog. It just looks so dainty, especially considering you get a recipe to create hotter burning but more polluting coal as an alternative.

Though I think the first two are wants for almost everyone, likely even Coffee Stain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, laying cable in this game is one of the easiest tasks, at least if you don't mind it being kind of wonky. If it has to be PERFECTLY STRAIGHT then you gotta set a concrete path which takes a while and some effort.

It helps that power cable can go a surprisingly long ways.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I think next factory I make is going to have the proper assembly and such organized by buildings. One for motor stuff (rotor first floor, stator second, motor third, turbomotor 4th), one for structural stuff (reinforced plates, frames, heavy frames), one for electronics, one for space elevator parts. That sort of thing. If only to keep the stuff semi-sorta neat.

As new stuff is unlocked, and I get alternate recipes I'm sure the space between everything will become a massive nightmare but what's the fun if everything is actually 100% clean?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LLSix posted:

Does anyone actually use the pure iron and pure copper alternate recipes? The ones that add water to the ore to basically double the ingot production?

They seem like they'd be a pain to setup.

Yes and...not really? Insert Tab Fu/Cu/Au/Si into Slot A, and Tab H2O into Slot B.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I find building layouts get way easier when I get height. So standing on top of another building, or one of the lookout towers they provide, does wonders.

Of course belts, pipes, splitters and mergers are way more finicky and require you to get down into the mess.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Clitch posted:

I just realized I can turn the input/output of a freight station, a bunch of storage containers, and a smart splitter tree into a huge buffer/filter loop for incoming freight from multiple sources, and now I want to redo my whole supply line again.

Just remember that your freight stations are limited by the belt speed since they only have one slot. This isn't factorio where you have just stack inserters.

Of course once you get to tier 4/5 belts that becomes a non-issue. I'm imagining you're basically having trucks slowly roll through a series of cargo stations that unload them, and the output from all the stations are sorted?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Powershift posted:

Because my old powerplant looked like this and i don't want people thinking i employ apes. Also i had a power issue and couldn't figure it out but the little hump in the water pipes was starving the left most plants.

MKII is much nicer.

A little "secret" when setting down pipes: Press "R" to change the build mode until you get the vertical mode. When mixed with the stackable pipe supports you can put your pipes on top of your conveyor belt lines feeding coal in and let gravity do the work (at least once you get the water up there). The vertical mode will let you also slip pipes in a few tight places the normal build mode wouldn't let you.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I just want trains and trucks (not tractors, actual trucks) to unlock sooner so I can expand out with them. Then again I feel there will at least be more to do with them when more tiers are added.

Also while this game is still very much in EA I really do feel like the tiers should really be separated off with more Space Elevator deliveries (the early ones obviously being relatively minor). Tier 0 if you do it is it's own thing, then tiers 1-2, 3-4, etc. all just kinda blend together in one tier for me since they're unlocked at the same time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I present to you one of the most important and ground breaking new technologies and creations in Satisfactory:

The Slug Exercise Track. Also known as "what me and my buddy find absolutely hilarious when it's 3 AM and we're both tired and getting kind of loopy".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LLSix posted:

Nice. I had to think for a minute to figure out how you did that. Did you drop a slug from your inventory onto the “ground” while standing over the conveyor? How many tries did it take to get the angle right?

Nope. Build the track, a storage container, use a belt and merger to transfer the item(s) you want onto the track then dismantle the unwanted belt/merger/container.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, the moment I get solid biofuel and mergers I build myself a bog standard biomass producer. A container/constructor each for leaves, wood, and maybe mycelium depending on where I set up shop. A combined container for biofuel, and then another constructor and a slowly growing stack of containers for solid biofuel that one day is pumped into a refinery to make liquid biofuel.

And then after I get a couple stacks of spare organs/carapaces each I'll turn one of the constructors to dealing with those for a while.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

drat, preparing the first payload for the space elevator takes forever. I suspect that operating on one single iron extractor by tier 3 is no longer feasible, huh?

Well, um, if you're doing a minimalist run, sure? And if the node's pure (producing 120 iron/minute).

But once you get to the steel age you kinda want ALL of the iron ore.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

Is it mostly about the positioning of the cliffs and the mineral nodes? Where would you recommend I start instead?

Grassland: As mentioned it's not actually that great. Almost all the nudes are weak (which isn't a huge deal, just hook up more), there's little to no advanced resources, and the big killer for me: there's really no water except at the coast and a lake to the north.
Rocky Desert: Lots of resources and advanced resources. Like you have just about everything besides Coal, Sulfur, Uranium and Bauxite...and the Coal and Sulfur aren't really that far away either. Lots of water on the coast and in a big central oasis.
Northern Forest: Did you say RESOURCES? You're drowning in pure nodes, a handful of geysers for endless free power in later stages, lots of easy access to drives. But the terrain is a bit rough.
Sandy Desert. Dunes. Boring dunes everywhere. But there's actually a lot more biomass to get started on power than the game likes to pretend, and a decent amount of water. The starting resources are mostly all spread out with little to no convenient clusters though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Got my first train line up and running. Those things are cool. Love how apparently the loading stations connect to a similar pocket dimension tech as our inventory for freight canisters, but we can't use it to teleport the equipment.

Oh well, no big loss. Means we get trains! Even if they're rather mediocre trains that just clip through anything they drive though instead of properly smearing players and creatures across the tracks.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Some of the things are a lot harder to do in Satisfactory considering it's in 3D compared to a 2D tileset. Messier for sure.

Though I do wish for a global production screen that can be pulled up like Factorio's.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Trains are great! It felt so good to find a natural route that let me thread a rail line up to the big central mountain plateau, and I really love the station animations.

Still, it feels like there's a lot of early-access shortcuts in them. There's no rail supports; the track just floats there if it's not half buried in the ground, and the trains have no collision with each other - and I'm not sure how well the rails would work with the map if they did, since getting even a single rail track through the environment can be very awkward, let alone two. I look forward to seeing how these things get resolved eventually.

Regarding map choices I'd argue against the apparent thread opinion and say Grasslands is the best start for a new player. Because you need to go out and explore the world and the grasslands forces you to do that. If you've already played the game before and know its layouts and such, then sure, rocky desert is the best all-rounder start, but otherwise the different starts all have qualities that affect how you play them and Grasslands is the one that teaches you how to play Satisfactory rather than 3D Factorio.

Track supports: Have you tried using the pillar foundations to make yourself some monorail platforms? You'll still get some silly looking wibble-wobble back and forth but you'll have elevated tracks and semi-decent looking pilars.

As for the map choice, I just feel that the grassland is a bit of a dick move once you move into or past coal and steel due to everything being so absent. Heck, even a single impure quartz node would make me rank it way up there just for electronics and/or early access to the map and dune buggies.

I do have an idea to do a mad setup making a grassland base where everything is delivered by tractors/explorers/trucks. Just a big truck-stop hoovering up resources from around the world. Even oil and water delivered in containers! But for now I'm getting my Satisfactory itch scratched in a multiplayer game and...well trains are literally the only vehicle that works in mulitplayer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Klyith posted:

What doesn't work with vehicles? My friend and I have had no problems with cars, other than twice when they've clipped through the world. But that was when they were parked, and I'm pretty one of those happened when I was playing solo.

(Both times the cars were kinda under a thing -- a tractor I had parked up against our space elevator in a spot where the elevator base was overhanging it, and my friend's explorer was parked under an elevated rail line. OTOH I've had a truck parked in a little garage building for a long time and it's not fallen under the world, that has much less headroom than the rail line did. So foundations seem to be key to preventing vehicles from falling through the ground.)

With me and my friends every time someone who isn't host gets into a vehicle horrible desyncs happen. Bad enough that I haven't dared trying out if autopilot stuff works out in multiplayer.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Pigbuster posted:

IIRC there needs to be a single MAM somewhere in the world at all times, but that means you can just leave one in your base back home and use a "portable" one for actually loading hard drives.

Nope, you don't need a single MAM at all. The MAM effectively acts as a way to access the research screen and nothing more. Once you've started a research or a drive, you need a grand total of zero MAMs on the map until you want to check up on the research.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

TjyvTompa posted:

There is too little oil on the map.

:confused:
It's only in certain areas but the oil nodes produce a massive amount of crude, especially if you shove power cores into them. You're basically limited to 300m3/minute per derrick by the pipes but that's the only real limit. And oil comes in clusters so it's not a huge issue.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 7, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DreadCthulhu posted:

I don't understand Pipeline Pumps. How do I know I need one? I have my coal generators slightly uphill from the lake and the water seems to flow just fine. Is there an easy indicator that I can look at to determine if I need to add them?

Pumps push fluids up giving you 20 meters of vertical play, gravity pulls fluids down forever. If you're going downhill you don't need them. If you're going uphill, you'll need them every 18-20 meters of vertical height. How do you find where you need them? As TjyvTompa said just check the pipes and go "Well this one's not getting past 1/3 full, I need a pump about 1/3 of the way up."

For reference, any building that outputs a liquid (water pumps, refineries) only has 10 meters of head lift so you do get some free lift to play with.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

DelphiAegis posted:

I just set up 4 containers and 4 constructors. Two containers are stacked so that I remember wood on bottom and leaves up top (like a tree!) both go into their own constructor, merged into another container that feeds 2 constructors making solid biofuel, which outputs to a single container right next to the two stacked inputs.

That way I drop everything off, and turn a bit and pick the solid fuel up with ought much hassle.

But of a pain before you get split/mergers, but you should be teaching up fast if you're at the point to need to semi-automate biopower.

That's generally what I do myself. Only the final container eventually becomes an ungodly giant stack, especially when organs and poo poo are fed into it, that's eventually fed into liquid biomass.

Also I put the wood on the bottom because I remember "If this were real life, which would be the biggest pain to lift off of the ground: couple hundred pounds of logs or a few light bushels of leaves?"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Organization is a lie

This is the most truth I have witnessed in the last few weeks. Had a Factoriobuddy who I've reduced to tears of pain at the spaghetti I could create since he's a perfect-ratio person and I'm like "IT loving WORKS, WE NOW HAVE A THING WE DIDN'T BEFORE!"

Seeing what I could do in three dimensions (even if I'm utterly anal about poo poo actually clipping through each other) made him throw his hands up in disgust and hate the game.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Some of the alternate recipes are just bafflingly useless like that. Usually the ones involving rubber or plastic.

Like they would be useful on a non-fixed map with at least randomized resource nodes. You could end up with some interesting resource scarcity issues. But without said resource scarcity using those alternates is just silly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Frida Call Me posted:

Caterium Circuit Board is an amazing recipe that everyone should use. Quickwire cable is absurdly efficient for the last stages of the space elevator. Usually I just rush trains and cart in trainloads of 200 plastic/rubber per minute and that will cover me until I want to get outlandish.

Yeah, I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about rubberized concrete, biomass to coal when there's no way to automate biomass generation. Or the electrode circuit board that uses rubber and petroleum coke.

I'm not talking about the good poo poo like caterium circuits or steel bolts. I'm just talking about how there are some really...weird choices for alternate recipes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Bussamove posted:

A life-changing revelation that you will still one day find woefully inadequate for your needs.

And then hopefully by then you'll find steel screws

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

priznat posted:

Heck yeah it really grabs you.

I feel like I am cheesing the game when I construct 1m foundation square highways through the sky completely unsupported :haw:

Finally found a quartz mine! Pretty much the only thing this is useful for is crystal oscillators right?

Naturally. Unless you want to make it more useful which can be a fun challenge.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

In any case, even with arbitrary tools, it's still a ton of work and a lot of creativity.

absolutely. Especially with poo poo like the platforms that specifically don't line up for artistic reasons.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Or the weird recipes that add plastic to get extra iron ingots or similar. Like, I *could* use my plastic to make more of the most common resource in the game, but no thanks.

Honestly I like coated iron plate because it just vomits out iron plates for a bit of plastic. 75/min for one machine compared to 20/min of the normal one. I feel 3.5x speed and 1.5x iron multiplier is worth upgrading a machine tier and adding an extra resource.

The coated steel plate on other hand isn't so great. I mean maybe if you're going for full efficiency using various alternates to get a better iron ore-> iron ingot -> steel ingot -> iron plate ratios but...really it's a game with infinite resources and it's not worth going through that many steps of diluting your iron unless you're going for gimmick builds.

Though one thing the other alternates do let you do is do gimmick builds. Do what you want, when you want. gently caress the efficiency police!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I noticed in the patches they tried to make vehicles better. How are they now? Still a disaster if not on a rail (or flying)?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Tombot posted:

I saw in a video you can put a plutonium nuclear fuel cell into the awesome sink, giving us a sorta roundabout way of removing nuclear waste. We'll see how long that lasts for.

If you're talking about the ImKibitz video he tested the other products needed in the refining the waste and they didn't work. It was only properly prepared and refined Plutonium Fuel Rods that worked so probably intentional.

Gives players the option of either having more power in return for a No Man's Land or safe, endless power.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I mean, if there was a way of automating infinite biomass production...sure that would be cool if you wanted to set up some sort of farm. But there's not and well resources in Satisfactory go in 3 stages:
1) You have none of it
2) You have some you scrounged
3) You have infinite, limited at a rate of X/minute.

Having an alternate recipe to convert wood to coal even for stuff like the MAM sulfur/black powder research is still massively underwhelming compared to finding a coal node and dropping a handful of portable miners on it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

OgNar posted:

Bought this today and have already put a good few hours into it, just got the rebar gun.
What level does the map come in?
I have a map key but it does nothing.

e: crap, didnt find it at first, after researching quartz

Yup. The map's a bit frustrating as it's under Quartz. Honestly just take 3-4 porta-miners (or build them on the spot, the equipment workbench and the miners are cheap) and have them dig up a few stacks for you from a node then run it back to process at your base. Same with Caterium and Sulfur really. At least you can get the map before the first space elevator delivery.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

What guards? North forest, south cliff area? There's maybe 1 or 2 of the little spitters and they can be killed easily.

As someone who's set up there too I have no idea what they're talking about. The dual pure-quartz on the northern cliff-edge of the northern forest has some chargers. There is a spitter on the nearby pure quartz, and an Alpha Spitter on the road down to the northern lowland/desert strip.

Honestly with the exception of Alpha Chargers, I find most everything else comes down to "do I have enough health items to tank this?" Alpha Chargers come down to "Do I have a ranged weapon?" because they have so much health and are way too good at punting me off of cliffs.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

I'm finding the zipline tool kind of a disappointment, save for helping reduce Foundation Spam for climbing hills early-game :v:

It's one of those tools that's better the rougher the terrain your base is set up on. Over flat terrain it's rather mediocre but if, like me, you set up on the northern edge of the forest it's super convenient because I have a power line down over a gorge and down several cliffs that lets me straight up ignore the terrain as I go check on my coal power plant in the coal-filled lowlands area on the eastern edge of the rocky desert.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

That’s way too organized looking for me. Mine are all looping around each other and splitting and merging everywhere for really no reason.

Do you ever eventually get a way to have a smart storage container that can have multiple items in it and only shoot out what is needed?

Honestly, I'd kill just to have the ability to turn off inventory slots in containers like in Factorio/DSP. No I don't need an entire storage container of iron rods, I need at most 1/2 of one.

Though I guess it's not as big of a deal with how Satsifactory has infinite resource nodes that don't expire unlike the other examples where nodes are drained over time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ymgve posted:

I feel it's a bit too Earth-like, they went from No Man's Sky to Skyrim. Also that one crash site is now totally obscured in the dense forest so you can't locate it visually.

I like it overall but I agree. The sandy floor of the canyon and around the cliff really should have less trees/different plants who grow better in the wet, sandy soil with less light.

Also they really should have kept, or added, some alien looking underbrush at least. The forest is thick enough that most of the floor will be clear, but anywhere there's a break there should be a bunch of ferns and smaller trees growing to fill it.

Nitpicking aside, I do like it overall though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Non-poo poo trucks in Satisfactory has finally made me actually eager for Update 5.