Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Klyith posted:

tl;dr:
don't use buffers just 'cause, they probably aren't helping. every machine has an internal buffer, your pipe network generally just needs to be a delivery system.
keep some margin below max flow rate in your pipe networks unless you want to dive into the details of the fluid sim. and even then you will probably need a bit of troubleshooting to figure out why this valve works and that valve doesn't.

*Reads this excellent post*
*Looks at massive aluminum refinery that I've spent two days setting up expecting full 600m3 pipes to work properly*
*Screams internally*

I set up a aluminum refinery based on the 5 alumina solution refineries = 1 600m3 pipe. I have 4 floors of this.

Oh, and I have 25 water pumps all completely filling 600m3 pipes.

*sigh*

Just going to deal with it for the moment. Redoing it is :effort: rn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

priznat posted:

Oh gently caress yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_PEIFKPPoE

Will watch it after work, cannot wait.

This is so good. lizzard doggo basketball loving killed me

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

Most of my factories now are mk1s or mk3s, rarely do I need more than 270/m.

I reached mk5 belts a while ago and have enough alclad plate production that I just use nothing but Mk5 belts even if I only need a tiny fraction of the throughput. It's kind of the same deal for me from DSP where once you can manufacture 30/s belts I never use anything else.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, tier 6. Seems everything you need to go big. Time to tear most down and make proper specialized factories.

Don't tear anything down. Instead, build somewhere else then later come back and look upon your humble beginnings.

In my case I kept most of my initial factories but built a new hub over the top of it Hengsha style.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

As the poster above me said: https://satisfactory-calculator.com/ is a decent option. It’s probably the best one for visualization. It has a very hard time if youre trying to plan out very large factories though. I hit a brick wall once I decided to go nuts and I just started running the numbers myself for a while. Also be careful; I discovered recently that the recipe it has on the website for batteries is wrong. I don’t know if anything else is wrong that I know of, but just double check the recipes on the site with what’s in game, because it’s not perfectly up to date.

As a DSP veteran who moved to Satisfactory to play factory builder with a friend, I was bummed that my favorite DSP calculator didn’t have a version for Satisfactory. I looked again just the other day and viola, they had added a satisfactory calculator since I’d last looked. If you want a quick and dirty sheet of how much poo poo you need then I recommend this; https://factoriolab.github.io/list?p=bauxite*60&s=sfy&v=1 This one gives more options for setting goals beyond straight items/min but isn’t as good of a visualizer.

It also never hurts to do some napkin math of your own, really helps you understand these games. Eventually though I find myself doing more math than playing so I turn to calculators.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Outside of some cosmetic touches, I think it's time to call this aluminum, radio control unit, crystal oscillator, computer, battery, fused frame and plastic factory complete.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Smart is the best mod. I played waaaay too much of this game without it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Trains shaping up to be really cool. It'll be a fun project to potentially remake my mess of train lines that pretty much only have one train on them each. I learned early on that not only did my brain *really* not like trains passing through each other with no collision, but I got nailed multiple times by the bug that can have trains take the wrong switch direction if they're running too close together and I didn't want to make turnarounds everywhere. From there I just stopped having trains share track. That being said, most of my trains are relatively local to the factories they're supplying so it's not too bad.

The thing where you can filter what items a train drops off is really neat. I wish it could be extended to be by car, but still a neat feature that gives me a lot of ideas.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

Just want to echo this, between the godawful power system that is biomass & the aforementioned belt issues. It's enough that my friend and I have given up our coop attempt to continue with the game. Just spent the whole time thinking "I could be playing Factorio and actually accomplishing anything".

Meanwhile my coop game with another goon has eclipsed 500 hours. (Note: at least 50% of that is me being AFK, but still). We're just starting to set up our final elevator delivery.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

OTOH I feel like Factorio is much better for co-op factory design, because Factorio factories are far more comprehensible. One thing that kinda ended our co-op game was we weren't really building together, we were building different stuff in the same world. It's quite hard to build a complex factory collaboratively unless you sit down and pre-plan the whole thing. (The bigger deal was that his GPU got killed by a failing PSU, so he's now on a 10 year old video card.)

This is true. My friend and I have had generally different tasks. He decided kind of early that he’d deal with all of our power and oil production. He undertook all nuclear production as well I’ve done almost all other manufacturing. It’s a dynamic that has worked really well. Even though we’re not working on the same task we’re both still working towards the same goal and it’s really fun to suddenly see the benefits of the other person’s work - even if I’ve never laid eyes on some of it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

My overclocking has been specifically limited to miners and moments where I realize that I have created a design I juuuust didn't quite design right and now the 3rd floor is going to be 2, 3, 4, whatever foundations longer than the lower floors and gently caress that I'm going to overclock the 3rd floor so it fits the horizontal footprint of the rest of the building.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

They seem to be cagey about things. They accidentally mentioned a priority merger (or whatever it was) and when people asked about it, they pretty much went "We didn't reveal it yet, so we're not saying anything."

I catch myself treating mergers like Dyson sphere mergers all the time so I’m stoked for priority mergers if that’s a thing. Will simplify a lot of stuff for me.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Ryaath posted:

I find this does good at telling me how many of each input/machine/output I need to plan, but not so helpful for how to layout (row of X of these, feeding Y of these, etc)

This sort of just comes down to playing the game and seeing what works. I looked at the guide you posted and there's nothing I can say to you that isn't already there. The easiest thing you can do is just lay down lines of buildings, feed the inputs in via manifold, combine the outputs, move the outputs to the next stage where you manifold them into the next recipe. The only real consideration is making sure you don't exceed your belt speed. This is a simple, barebones setup that will never fail you. It will also look nice and clean. Everything after that is pretty much fancy window dressing or chasing a little bit more efficiency.

Edit: Oh, and I highly recommend the SMART mod. It makes building manifolds, even ones for manufacturers trivially simple so you can spend your time doing more important things.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

This one is my favorite.

https://factoriolab.github.io/list?p=bauxite*60&s=sfy&v=1

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

edit: oh lol that factorio calculator has satisfactory on it. no better illustration of the biggest difference between the games: the flow illustration quickly becomes unreadable for high-end products because satisfactory's design is so much more messy.

I don't really use the flow page. What I really want is a quick and easy list of items, rates, number of belts and number of buildings. I've played this game and other factory games enough to just be able to visualize in my head that what my layout will be. I also what the ability to easily figure out how much of thing x can make if I have so much of thing y, or so many belts of thing y, or so many factories of thing y. I really like those generation options. Most importantly, it doesn't crash when I ask it to calculate something large - which was my primary problem with satisfactory calculator.

Not that your comment was really dunking on me or aimed at me at all - I just really like quick results and multitude of starting points.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Roundboy posted:

But coal / quarts / cad is pretty annoying to get

?? There are two pure coal nodes and two pure caterium nodes in the grassland start. It wasn't annoying to get at all.

Crystal is another story.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I got a dedicated server up and running. Small sample size of like two hours but it looks good so far.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I watched a video about signals from a different guy who suggested that you basically put a path signal at every block entrance and a block signal at every block exit. I should draw this up for reference, but that seemed to make things worse in my case. My swamp base has 6 trains running around everywhere. To handle the train throughput I laid down 4 parallel tracks, 2 for each direction. Trains entering this strip always enter on the outside track of whatever direction they're headed and the inside tracks are for passing. This basically means there are something like 4-5 junctions all one after the other. I initially signaled it like the video suggested with path signals at the beginning of every junction and block signals to terminate the junction. Throughput was terrible with this setup because every train would slowdown to almost to a stop because it doesn't reserve the next path until after it passed by the block signal terminating the previous reservation. Removing the block signals improved things immensely and everything appears to be running smoothly.

The next question that came up for me was I might have wayyy too many signals. I don't have signals as you guys are describing in the middle of every junction, but it occurred to me that I could treat each set of 2 tracks as a giant block and let the game do the rest of the work, as opposed to now where I basically have it broken down into 5-6 blocks where every "on ramp" and every passing lane is marked with a path signal and then terminated with another path signal a bit later. The tradeoff here appears to be that reservations will last longer, and any trains that are unable to make a reservation will have to potentially wait the entire time it takes a train to enter and then leave the larger block.

Gotta play around with this more. On the plus side, signals are super cool and redo'ing the complete mess I had at this factory with completely isolated tracks for each train so they instead share a set of common tracks has made the entire thing extremely cool to watch. Seeing trains headed out to pick stuff up and watching them reserve 6-8 signals is real cool.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 1, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

So there is a massive flaw in the train signalling & pathing logic: trains always want to use the shortest path, and won't use a longer path even if it would allow them to pass a train and get to their destination. This means that "stackers" / staging yards don't work, and passing lanes only work for dividing a 2-way rail into a pair of 1-ways.

This explains a lot of what I'm seeing.

Also I tried uploading my save to the map to do exactly what you said, but it won't load my U5 save.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

Make sure you select Expirimental in the top right.

This did the trick.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Little Update 5 before and after action.

This is a copper refinery making ~2400 ingots a minute that is being fed into a computer/radio factory down the line. I like decorating my factories, but I had spent so much time in this area building a massive aluminum/radio/computer/battery factory that I sort of gave up on finishing decorating it because I was burning out. I decided I'd spend my first hours in U5 learning how the train signals work and redo'ing the train lines for this plant. See - both me and my co-op buddy have this thing where we could absolutely not handle the U4 trains clipping through each other, so we built our train lines on isolated sections of track. It was more work - but honestly not too bad since laying track - even duplicate tracks all headed to the same place is easier than laying down the equivalent in long range belts and trains are cooler anyways. This factory has six trains running to it - Bauxite + Sulfur, Coal + Sulfur, Crystal, Plastic, Copper Ingots plus a train hauling uranium to the nuke plant in the area (which constantly tries to kill me). Well - now that signals are a thing I wanted to fix this. At the same time, the copper refinery was pretty sparsely decorated so I used some of the fancy new toys to make it a bit more appealing.

Not totally finished yet. Working on getting rid of the massive amounts of foundation scaffolding I laid down to precisely set up the tracks and this building is a little floaty for my tastes but man U5 gives some pretty slick aesthetic options.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does any one have a good guide on how to make trains actually work? I finally got all the pathing running, but its a 50/50 chance that the train won't actually use the freight stations. Sometimes deleting the station and rebuilding works and some times it doesn't. I'm not getting any errors in autopilot, and if I do it manually the dock option shows up, it just .... doesn't work.

Trains aren't really all that complicated. Set freight to load at one station, unload at another. If you're playing on experimental there are some new settings for stations that I've had mixed success using, but the default behavior is *almost* exactly what it was in U4 (with the small addition of a 15 second wait time if a train doesn't unload). Some things off the top of my head that might be causing issues:

- The freight station is full. This seems unlikely because you've said that you've deleted the stations and tried again but a train won't unload unless it has room in the station.
- Wrong load/unload setting. This is a gotcha that I sometimes realize I've screwed up until the train is pulling out of a station
- Experimental mode bugs. I see one mention of an issue regarding load/unload issues, but anecdotally my trains appear to be working just fine.

If you have a save I'd be happy to take a look and see if I can find anything.

Edit: Are you playing in multiplayer or on a dedicated server? There have always been weird issues with trains when you're in an MP session and are not the host.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I have a very silly train setup in the dune desert where I basically mine all of the pure nodes in the middle of the region - load it all onto a train - ship it to a smelting facility where it is all turned into iron ingots some of which is processed into steel pipes and steel screws. The remaining iron ingots (at least 4 mk5 belts worth) are loaded onto one train, and the steel pipes and screws onto another. Both of these trains depart for a second steel smelting facility where some of the iron ingots are dropped off and turned into more pipes and steel beams. The steel train then picks up what is made there and both trains head to a 3rd facility where everything remaining is turned into modular frames, smart plates and versatile frameworks.

It's an incredibly silly setup. In particular I regret shipping the screws. The building footprint for steel screws is so small that I should have made them on site. Also I chose the final production site - on top of the northernmost plateau - purely for aesthetic reasons, but it lengthened the train trip to a 7 minute round trip so the trains are both the longest I have in the game.

I would do it differently if I could start over but I won't because it would take so long just to redo it all.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

The one thing I dislike about Hard drives is if I go out and collect a bunch of them I have to wait consecutive ten minute periods to unlock all of them. So if I go and grab 6 hard drives I am waiting an IRL hour until they are all unlocked. Oh, and I have to physically be at the location so if my game is spread out enough I don't want to go to far away because I'll just have to come back 10 minutes later. This can be shortened by setting up a quick MAM near where you're working, but I'm still being interrupted so I can go start the next hard drive. I can't build more MAMs or anything to speed it up. I'd find the system much more pleasant if it was just instant.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

I usually just put a MAM down as soon as I get a drive, then deconstruct it once it’s going. Even if I’m looking at the next wreck while I’m doing that it still might take me 10 minutes to get there (less now that ramp zooping is a thing I guess)

Yeah I acknowledge there are work arounds to the physical location thing since we can poof buildings our of thing air for some metals plates or whatever. Still annoying tho, and there's no way around the 10 minute timer.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

but IMO that was getting into "umm maybe this is too easy" zone.

Chadzok posted:

I totally disagree with this assessment. The game should be about creativity, not menial drudgery, and the interface should do everything it can to expedite the process (within reason, I obviously don't want a "build factory" button and I'm happy to not have this be a blueprint game).

:same:

It's something you don't really notice when your factories are like a dozen buildings. But the QoL improvement when you have 100+ machines to throw down is pretty incredible. I also don't think this game lends itself well to blueprints, but in place of that a set of controls that make setting up machines not suck a click fest (that can and does lead to errors) is very welcome.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

That line is gonna be in different places for everyone, some people want everything up to full factorio blueprints and built-bots. The "IMO" I put there was trying to express that it was just my personal take. And not even some sort of abstract game balance thing or anything, just for me building my own stuff. I'm 100% happy that SMART exists for anyone who wants to use it (and before zoop, I used it myself).

To explain, there's a thing that happens towards the end of many of my builds, where the belting and connections actually becomes kinda challenging. Mostly because I habitually leave myself just enough foundations to fit when 1 extra would make everything easy, but that's water under the bridge by this point. A lot of the time I'm cursing myself while I'm trying to figure out a twisted merger/splitter/belt nightmare. But the thing is, I enjoy it when I'm done.

That SMART power, if I started using it, might encourage me to do connectivity in a more systematic and regular way. And that would mean when I'm building 50 refineries that are all doing the same thing, dropping down 2 rows of 25 front to back. Rather than 13 in an L-shape block, 16 in a U around some blenders, 12 in double rows, and 9 in rows but offset halfway to fit the awesome sink that can't go anywhere else. SMART is powerful in a way I'd find boring if I used it effectively. And if I'm doing my normal style, it's actually not very powerful because I don't repeat the same pattern 50 times.

tl;dr I like the grunt work because I like paying attention to details

This is a fair and reasonable opinion.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

So uhhh, after hundreds of hours in this game I only realized just the other day, thanks to zoop forcing me to look at the "build mode" menu that pipes and hypertubes have additional build modes that make it easier to do things. I dearly wish I had known about the horizontal to vertical mode for pipes and the noodle mode for hypertubes.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

I have two water feedback loops. One for aluminum and another for batteries. The designs are both 100% stable - but they must run constantly. It took a VERY long time to get the aluminum one to work properly. I'll have to draw it out because I iterated on it several times. Every time I thought it was fixed then would go back 2 hours later or whatever to find it locked up. I've never had trouble with my 400 batteries/min factory feeding the water back into the sulfuric acid unless the batteries stop producing which leads to a lockup.

When it came time to make fused frames I had another opportunity to use waste water and I passed deciding instead to use a little bit of left over coal to burn it off. It's a fun challenge but it can be a headache.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Just used trucks for the first time myself transporting steel ingots and quickwire to my new nuke plant I'm setting up. The power plant's location is fairly close to my original hub and I was already transporting fuel there by train for personal use. So I set up a 3 stop loop for both materials including a stop at the hub to fill up. It worked out better than I hoped, although truck loops seem like one of those things that is easy to setup but is a bit more difficult to squeeze out 100% efficiency/reduce conflicts etc. It's working well enough for now so I'm just going to leave it, but it's a genuinely pretty cool thing to see delivery trucks bringing stuff in. Sort of a breath of fresh air from using trains.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Was about to come and complain about a dumb issue I'm having. But Satisfactory QA issue board is really good. Be careful messing with the default swatches. Apparently the wrong defaults are assigned to some things, like for instance, the Ficit Factory default swatch is attached to concrete walls. I touched it briefly to mess with something, and now all my concrete walls are coming out dull red.

https://questions.satisfactorygame.com/post/61928e38831c85205235e2c6

Just going to load an earlier save, because this is annoying to deal with.

Edit: Nevermind - looks like this is just a bug. Had nothing to do with me messing with the swatches. Concrete walls are just red now. lol

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 15, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

they seem very difficult to optimize.

They're really not.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I've been looking at packaged liquids. When it unpackages it always does result in the same amount of empty packaging as required to bottle it? No small losses to gently caress with the player? So I can essentially set up a truck or train line with a finite amount of canisters?

Yep!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Who else here has noticed that a tool gave you incorrect numbers when planning a factory and only realized it when you were 80% done. *raises hand* anyone?

I got burned by the different overclocking rules for power plants and the calculator I use not using those different rules. I have an extremely cool design with nuclear power plants oriented in a pentagon but only just now realized that I was short an entire power plant for the amount of uranium rods I'm building. :negative:

At least nothing is radioactive yet.

Hell, maybe there's enough room to plop down the 6th plant right in the middle then I won't have to do anything too crazy

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are those huge spiders new? First time I've seen them today.

No they've been around for a while. The spider skittering noise is honestly a super creepy sound that always puts me on edge.

Edit: Wait till you find the version of the spider that will jump attack and fart clouds of poison at you

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

priznat posted:

Do the spiders respawn? It seems like they are back in areas I could swear I cleared out.

Yes. Don’t quite know the length of time it takes but they do. Also I’ve never seen anything respawn in an area I’ve “touched”. Maybe dropping a building or some foundations might prevent it as well although again not at all sure what the threshold is there.

Edit: the wiki has the info

“the wiki” posted:

Creature respawn mechanism

There are spawn points for hostile creatures such as Hogs and Spitters scattered around the map, particularly near by Resource Nodes or collectibles.
If creatures were killed, they will attempt to respawn within three game days, and only if the pioneer is not within 300 meters of the spawn point.
At the start of the game, (or upon game updates/balancing) the hostile creatures will be present around their spawn point by default.
To prevent hostile creature respawn, the following must be fulfilled:

There is at least one player-built building within a 300 meter radius around the hostile spawn point.
The existing creatures around their spawn point, if present, must be killed first.
The creatures with their spawn point only active at night, must wait to be spawned at least once then be killed, even if all the above criteria are fulfilled before the first night.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 17, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Long post incoming - tl;dr cataloging my design choices and issues with my nuke setup

I've been working the past week on setting up a nuclear plant. As far as I can tell there are basically two choices when selecting the location for a nuclear plant. You're either very near water like on a coast or you're near one of the 4(?) uranium sources in the game. There is also both I guess since the impure node in the north west is right by water and the node in the swap is close-ish to the coast. However since U5 I've been mostly playing solo, this is still a co-op game and my options were more limited since two of the nodes were already tapped and there was already a couple of small existing plant on each coast. Ultimately I settled on tapping the node in the cave in the northern grasslands. I'd build the plant spanning the giant hole in the map potentially using it for waste storage as well if needed.

The plan was pretty straightforward: Utilize 240 uranium/min, build basically everything on site shipping in the handful of materials I'm missing which were caterium and steel. I didn't want to deal with waste initially so at first I was going to build and then sink the plutonium rods. I has several initial plans to solve the water problem since there is water close-ish with lakes to the East and West but not close enough to be easy. I was thinking maybe shipping it in by train, but I ultimately decided that being at the very bottom of the map altitude wise surrounded almost entirely by sheer cliffs would make adding train access to my existing network irritating. So I settled on long pipelines. More on water later.

I used a calculator and to keep the plant's footprint smaller I decided I would overclock the plants. Helpfully (or so I thought) the calculator had a recipe for uranium waste which I thought was giving me correct numbers. It told me that 240 uranium/min would support 5 plants at 240% (Spoilers: This is wrong). I wanted a cool shape and the plants being oriented in a pentagon would be pretty cool, so I started working. Everything was going very well. Almost all production was on site. The fuel rod production got a "wing" of the pentagon and so did the control rods. The control rod wing starts almost right on top of the copper nodes I needed anyways and the fuel rod wind started at the entrance to the cave where the uranium was coming from. I decided to ship in quickwire and steel ingots by truck. This location is very close to our initial hub/storage location which was already receiving packaged fuel and our initial steel setup was nearby along with an untapped pure caterium node. Setting up the trucks was easier than I thought and 1 truck per route works perfectly.

I also solved my initial water problem. This location is very close to two sets of water resource wells. Cool, I thought, that makes everything easier. No super long water pipes and when maxed out I was getting more water than I needed. It was my understanding that water coming from a resource well has variable output but my water setup had each node of the well feeding a buffer first which I figured would even out the variable flow.

As I was finishing water I was struck by a bit of clairvoyance and realized that my numbers were wrong and actually I needed 6 power plants running at 250%. I was suddenly short water. The resource wells provide *exactly* enough to run 6 plants at 250%, but I was also using a little bit of water in a pure copper and steamed sheets recipe and I could no longer support that. I had basically two choices that made sense. I was already piping in sulfuric acid from the west, and nitric acid from the east. Might as well piggyback that and bring in some water to feed the copper manufacturing. As for the 6th plant itself, there was just enough space to put it right in the middle of the pentagon. It actually looked very cool so I sort of lucked out there.

Work continued. My last issue before turning everything on was how I was going to get silica to the plant. There is crystal close-ish, but belting it directly would have involved what I considered to be an extremely ugly set of elevators down a sheer cliff. This was a bit too gauche for me. So I bit the bullet and decided to bring it in by train. I did have existing rails in the area - in fact I had an existing station directly over the crystal nodes to the north east. But they would need a U5 rework. I loathed this train line. It was one of my first, and used a set of switchbacks to bring aluminum ingots down to the hub to be processed into alclad plates, casings and heatsinks. I decided to completely redo it, eliminating the annoying switchbacks for a large spiral. It took a while but the results were great, imo. I also utilized one of the new U5 features and set the delivery station to wait until the entire train could unload. I made the train larger than it needed to be so it wouldn't run as often reducing the chance for conflicts with the existing train.

Then it came time to turn the plant on. I made a save point because I figured there would be problems and I didn't want to have to deal with radiation when I went to fix them. There were two major issues.

The first is that my sulfuric acid I was piping in wasn't enough. So there was a fuel shortage. I was tapping an existing acid setup my friend had built on the sulfur node to the West. He was helpfully making acid on site already. I made some mistakes when calculating how much I would need. This was easy to fix on the problem scale.

The other issue was water. Water flow was horribly inconsistent. To make matter worse each plant needed a constant 600m3/min - which means a full m2 pipe - which means butting into a known issue with m2 pipes where they can't reach full 600m3 flow even if it's indicated. I had already run into issues when trying to utilize designs that needed 600m3 so I was already somewhat nervous when I had to revise my numbers. Fixing it was a huge headache. I noticed first that I was getting inconsistent flow all the way back to the resource wells. This was super aggravating because the fluid buffers were full or near full at almost all times. If there was water in the buffers and they never fully emptied I didn't understand how I could be getting less than max flow once water came out the other end. Another issue was what I decided was a bad design. I laid out the resource well pipes in a grid where they would all contribute to the eventual output. This was a convoluted design and it made it harder to diagnose issues so I scrapped it immediately and isolated out nodes to direct to power plants (still with a buffer in-between) and stopped sharing between the pipes more than was necessary. (i.e. I would combine 2x 300m3 nodes into 1 600m3 pipe for one plant).

Nothing I was doing was improving the situation. Flow was still inconsistent. It's not that it would slow down or speed up briefly - it's that it would temporarily halt completely. I would sit and watch a power plant doing very well receiving the full 600m3 flow and looking extremely stable and healthy, then suddenly it's like the faucet was shut off. The plant's buffer would drain completely and then shutoff for about 15 seconds before suddenly the faucet was back on and the buffer would fill and start running again.

I was frustrated and was questioning every choice I made. At first I was blaming the resource wells. I figured their flow was too sporadic to be useful to a power plant even if it ended up averaging out long-term to the listed flow rate. I was not pleased at the prospect of having to tear down the water setup and pipe in water from extractors. It was just another time consuming delay. I took a break and came back a little while later with some last second ideas to keep the existing system. The first was to not only place buffers right after the water nodes, but also place a buffer after that once the pipes had combined. I also added valves before and after every buffer to prevent any backflow into the buffers. The 2nd thing I did was lower the overclock by a few percentage points so that instead of needing 600m3 of water they'd only need like 585m3. I was only missing out on a few hundred megawatts per plant. it was a drop in the bucket honestly and I figured I could tune the rest of the plant to match the new fuel requirements and waste production.

Viola. Stable power plants. Just have to decorate the sucker although it already looks magnificent. Can only provide map photos right now though. I love this frustrating game.

Overall area:

Plant closeup - uranium waste is processed in some blenders below the plant, but I thought the pipe and beltwork was cool so I excluded the blenders.

One of the two water well pressurizers and the piping after it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Unless I'm getting your meaning wrong, I don't think this is how it works. It's variable in the sense that the satellite nodes around a pressurizer will have different purities, but each of those nodes should have a steady output (30 for impure, 60 for normal, 120 for pure). It's not like the power use in a particle accelerator where the power draw goes up and down depending on where it is in its production cycle.

Ah. I now know where I initially read this: I confused geothermal generators and resource wells.

Good to know the flow doesn't fluctuate.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Klyith posted:

Your problem with flow cutting out completely may have been the head lift interaction: a buffer only passes head lift from one side to the other when it's full or nearly full. Otherwise, its output head lift is only equal to the imaginary level of fluid in the buffer. (IE, an 8m tall small buffer that's 50% full has only 4m of head lift.) If you don't know about that and have buffers low in your system, you will get that exact result: buffers start to empty, head lift is suddenly way less and cuts flow completely. Then the buffer fills back up and can pass full head lift, but pipes have to re-establish flow along the whole line.

tldr: in any situation where you need N units of constant fluid flow, you don't need buffers.

Oh poo poo!

I considered headlift issues as part of the problem. So there are two sets of nodes: One is close, just south of the plant and from my eyeballing it, looked to be higher than the plants. The headlift for the other set of nodes wasn't an issue because it is up a very large cliff.

I will *definitely* check out removing the buffers completely and also adding some pumps to the system. Not home again for another week, but I'll give that a shot as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading my long post and offering these suggestions. I've played this game long enough where I've entered a state where I think I've considered everything, but now that you've mentioned headlift as an issue I can't say with certainty that the closest set of nodes is higher than the plants unless the buffer is full.

Edit: Just struck me that I might be able to use the map to find out for sure since I have a copy of my save on hand. I'll take a look see.

Edit 2: That's it. Hard to tell when eyeballing it, but the issue is definitely the headlift. The buffers sit on a foundation 4 meters lower in altitude than the power plant, which accounts for basically all my issues and why flow would stop completely to the plants unless the buffers were full. The more you know.

Thanks again Klyith

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 19, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

That's just something I did because I wanted to have my rails going straight. You can totally make them at any elevation, but the lower to the ground you go, the more twists and turns you need. I still need to figure out how I'm going to add pillars to all of my rails because the floating foundations are a bit of an eyesore at the moment.

Those arrows? Are those real rail switches or a decoration? I haven't seen those before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Roundboy posted:

I refuse to pull up the map website as I like to discover the game as i play.

Yeah I recommend this to anyone starting the game. Initial exploration is, imo, super fun and I'd avoid the map completely until much later. There is a point though I think where you've played enough and the exploration gets in the way of building cool stuff, which is I think where busting out the web map and "cheating" is worthwhile just because it saves time.