Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't mind placing a bunch of stuff manually. It's relaxing to me.

Now laying out power poles on the other hand... I really wish wired foundations would be added that serve as power connections to any machines placed on them. The power pole situation is just busiwork that makes things ugly. There is no clever problem-solving being done, it's just a matter of plopping a hundred poles around the factory floor. And later slightly fewer poles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

boxen posted:

I'm not sure what I think about the blueprints thing. Sometimes setting up a factory is tedious, but I spent most of last night redoing the iron/steel production that was the first stuff I set up (it's not important, but it's right next to my main base so I had to look at the spaghetti mess ALL THE TIME...)

I figured out that a large part of the satisfaction I get from this game is trying to plan out factories and getting everything running smoothly. I realized I could eliminate iron ingots and get everything from steel, so I figured out the max amount of coal I could get (belt-limited), then scaled my iron ore to match...

I can get more steel by making iron ingots first then using an alternate recipe to turn them into steel... okay how many smelters do I need for that much iron... ~12 per miner non overclocked... okay so that's two floors of 12... i can do 2 rows of 6, 3 rows of 4, let's do 2 floors of 4 rows of 3... then I need foundries...and then figure out the belting for everything.... Also, if I can download blueprints off the internet, that'd likely just show me how poo poo I am at laying things out in this game compared to other people.

I didn't finish the setup, and I don't know what I'm going to do with all the ingots, but it was very satisfying to figure it all out and plan the layout. I think for me blueprints would be sort of like having cheat codes on in something like Skyrim - fun for awhile but I'd get bored much faster.

Same. I don't think I've ever torn down a factory to move it and actually set it up the same way at the destination. I always find better ways to do things or better ways to lay things out.

It seems like blueprints would stifle that for me, like locking in whatever blueprint I make as the best way to do whatever it is.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A Moose posted:

its not a huge issue, but why can't we have splitters for elevators?

Speaking of elevated splitting, it was a bitter disappointment to find out stacking splitters didn't merge them.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I bet if I figured it up, about one out of every four objects I've placed in my world has been devoted to making and transporting screws.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

drunken officeparty posted:

But I meant also at the limit of what my brain can handle. So many conveyor belts.

It helps to remember that there are exactly zero stakes in this game. There is no fail state, no time limit, no way to waste resources, and death just means a hike back to your death crate (which never disappears outside the odd glitch). You don't have to figure out everything at once and there is no reason to optimize everything to perfection. Even the one real limit, space in which to build, is easily overcome if you build a platform above the terrain.

Of course it is a damned crime that trains are locked until the late game. Whose terrible decision was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

GotLag posted:

Once I need resources that aren't local to my starting base (iron, copper, limestone) I sort of flounder until I give up. I never know what kind of rates to shoot for, either.

This is exactly why it is an astoundingly bad design decision to make trains such a late game technology and make them so resource intensive.

There is no elegant way to get distant resources to your base early on. It's the goofy truck or belt spaghetti until 3/4 through the game.