Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've just started playing this. How are the type of resource like quartz and especially coal supposed to work? The deposits disappear once I've dug them out. This seems especially puzzling with coal?

Are they eventually going to add more procedural things?

--edit:
Seems like I need quartz to research towards getting the map, but it's scarce as hell?

--edit:
Didn't do me any favors starting in the beginner desert apparently.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I checked out Mapisfactory (or something) and went looking. Yea, the quartz was pretty far off. I'm looking at the next unlock, one has a tractor. Does that work like protection against wildlife, if I'm scooting around in it?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Look how dumb I am and how long it took me to haul shitloads of concrete around and make things accessible by throwing around random wild floor plates and ramps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any reason I shouldn't just ramp up steel beam construction like an idiot, let it manufacture at highest speed into a storage box, so that I can build Mk3 conveyors everywhere?

Also, I suppose I should create minifactories for specific components? I saw all kinds of modular designs over on reddit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

The game is CPU constrained, so if you plan to build big you don't want to do completely wasteful stuff.
Upgrading to 5995WX to play Satisfactory...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Tried messing about with a multiplexed bus, i.e. merging and balancing poo poo from collection sites over multiple belts and then taking things apart again at the collection/processing site with smart splitters and mergers. Looks nice, but what a pain in the rear end to set up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

GotLag posted:

Alien carapaces make a good renewable and quick-to-collect fuel source, especially when you have the rebar gun. One bolt as it approaches you and then a single zap to finish it off as it reaches you.
Eh, I should have built the gun earlier, I've been running around with the bigger Xeno basher, and it proves quite insufficient trying to whack the bigger mobs heading into the upper green sulfur land.

I have the rifle now, but shot it only once against those fireflies so far. :[

Also, it'd be nice if you could make blueprints of factory blocks, for easier replication of things.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dear God, never enough of them loving screws. I think I'm gonna stake another iron+coal claim and make a huge factory that just makes screws.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eh, tier 6. Seems everything you need to go big. Time to tear most down and make proper specialized factories.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I set up a copper shop at late night yesterday, with tired eyes. Because I found a pure copper node. Or so I thought. I wired it up today, started it and wondered why the vein gave 60 units instead of 240 per min. It said impure. :toot:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I really want to get out of the Rocky Desert, ideally into the Dune Desert for space and flatness, but not tear down functioning infrastructure. I set up a first conveyor to the Northern Forest, for bus planning, and man, it was a pain in the rear end. This is gonna be fun, because I found satisfactory-calculator.com, which has a height map, that made me go :catstare:. Routing it to there eventually is gonna be a pain in the rear end.

--edit: I should probably just start over in the desert at tier 6.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 25, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

M_Gargantua posted:

The dune desert is not flat, it is in fact filled with massive sand dunes.
Seemed flatter than the older places I drove to. Large surface without big rocks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh neat, train tracks are power lines.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Holy poo poo what an unintuitive pain in the rear end it is to set up an A-B train line.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I take it I need one freight platform per freight car. No tomfoolery of unloading multiple cars in one platform?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hmm train track bending also seems imprecise. If I try to make a 90° turn on a 4x4 block area, I need to offset the end of the track, to that the boundaries are parallel. Goddamnit. --edit: For a loop at the end of the track. --edit: This is becoming too much fidgeting to save 25MW.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 25, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Designing a factory with a serial bus based on chained splitters makes things clean, but takes ages for the factory to get going, since all hoppers in the machines have to get filled for the bus to saturate.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's smart splitters. The simple ones can filter by one argument per output. The programmable ones later you can assign multiple items to filter per output. Requires high tier components to research and build.

I'm currently using smart splitters for when I'm creating two or three different products at a factory to transport to a hub. The community calls it "belt compression". Merge everything onto a belt and then separate it using smart splitters.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I just notice, now that I manage to make bigger factories that create an abundance of parts, I never put any overflow into Awesome sink before the buffer storages. And there's no space to rejig everything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ymgve posted:

Also what you get from hard drives is randomized (but the location of the drives isn't)
Ah poo poo, so I guess the fancy screw recipe is a matter of chance then.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What's the best way to go about a factory bus? Right now I tried ten lines arranged in 5+5, where each five belts are arranged like the five on a dice. Works somewhat OK, but a goddamn pain in the rear end.

--edit:
I mean look at this poo poo. I should probably finally abandon the starter site,

--edit:
Also, doesn't this game run at 4K? I've set the resolution as such, but the images a) still look upscaled and b) the screenshots are 1440p.

--edit:
Nevermind, it's this 150% scaling bullshit tripping the game. Why even?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So the game was only rendering at 1440p instead of 4K because of the 150% scaling option in Windows. With an application override, it now renders at 4K natively. That and another 150W at the socket. CPU bound as gently caress I guess, if there was still that headroom on the GPU.

They should enable DLSS, since it's an option in the upcoming upgrade to Unreal 4.26. Stops my computer from being a room heater for no reason.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Jace mentioned on one of the recent videos that the new version of UE supports it, but they don’t have a test lab, presumably with RTX cards. He also mentioned that most people with a system that supports RTX are already CPU bound, so it may never be turned on for the public.
In a lot of cases, DLSS can also deliver better antialiasing than TAA by itself. So there's that, too.

NVIDIA's apparently also finally allowing DLSS to do its thing at native resolution instead of subsampled frames. For some reason they gave it a new name. DLAA. loving marketing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm currently sitting out a bunch of days to see what I should do, build up some creative juices. I think I'm gonna rebuild the main facility, a lot of poo poo to tear down.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess they'll also derail when you brake too late then, when riding them manually.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Can I build over these steep waterfalls at the southern edge of the map? Satisfactory Calculator says there's a good margin to the actual world border. It'd make for a good railway route.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

IDK, they will be allowing intentional clipping for most object types with Update 5, because people were already using it creatively with tricks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'd wager this game would probably benefit from Unreal 5's Nanite stuff in regards to environment. I wonder if they'll ever consider moving onto it (considering the work required), when it releases.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought this load balancing stuff using mergers and splitters helps dealing with this, since you can run multiple belts. Then again, I forgot at what tier I got those.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeh, so far I am putting down storages behind constructors, assemblers and such, so when I can't get 100% efficiency, it'll stock up. It also acts as buffer for whenever I start redoing anything downstream, so that it'll keep collecting intermediate products and things can start back up immediately, because the time to all hoppers being filled is cut down. The simple single level storage container is cheap as gently caress.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Finally used some gas masks, they don't work in vehicles. :/

--edit: Hmm poo poo, red forest has these explodable boulders. I guess I need sulfur for explosives now.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 9, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, gently caress. I saved within the quartz cave, and when loading in, my Explorer falls through the floor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Here I was proud to break the 2GW power production barrier, then I was browsing some random poo poo about train networks and game across stray posts about needing 110GW for some factories working towards space elevator phase 4. I always thought these huge nuclear plant bases were an emergent gameplay joke. :[

--edit: I think one of the upcoming long weekends, I'm just gonna build a rail ring around the island.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Oct 10, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Now that zooping is becoming a thing, they should probably give 16m or larger foundations a consideration. That'll probably help towards any object/entity limits, aswell improve rendering, since it cuts down on polys. I just laid out a foundation for a power plant, and god it's so much tiles.

--edit: So I'm making fuel for 43 fuel generators. :psyduck:

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 10, 2021

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm just going over the overclocking numbers of the fuel generators on the Satisfactory Wikia. So there's no efficiency loss when overclocking these? The fuel consumption scales linearly with the increased output. It just takes snails?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Overclocking is good for your cpu. Half the machines = half the math. I think in my update 5 game I'm going to try to make a doggo ranch early to get a big bank of shards.
I've been putting that one off until I finally unlock tier 7 and subsequently hazmat suits. Because those things apparently also bring uranium.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's certainly an interesting loop in my new fuel power plant on these islands in the west, below the rocky desert. I can currently pump up to 720m³/min with the current setup, with the necessary plants to turn it all into fuel and resin. I have a row of refineries to turn all the potential resin into plastic and rubber. Except they're underfed, because I don't have enough consumers of that fuel I'm making and things are backing up. So now I need to take some of the plastic to package the fuel to sink it, just to get the fuel refineries up to 100%, so that I can actually make more plastic.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ignoranus posted:

Why not just build more fuel generators to burn the excess fuel?
Still need to make space cleaning up old stuff. Also, I think I probably need some packaged fuel, because I'm still janitoring solid biofuel into truck stations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They should introduce larger foundations then, which will probably be lighter on the game, since they're so pervasive in builds. Before you could have made the argument that it's a timesink. But zooping kills that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

A static object like foundations has almost zero weight on the game, other than loading & saving time. After that they're basically free for the CPU to handle, the engine can put 1000 foundations in the world nearly as easily as it can do one.
I'd expect in background, if there's 1000 instances of a foundation, that there's an according amount of drawcalls and additional (IMO unnecessary) load on the GPU.

I don't really care that the game is largely CPU bound. I'd still prefer unnecessary work to be avoid. Among one reason I'd like to see DLSS on this game, CPU bound or not. I have 4K displays. Initially the game configured itself to 1440p, because it's yet another application that gets confused by the 150% scaling I had configured. When I switched it to native 4K, it swiftly added another 150W power draw to my system. If I could avoid 120W of that, that'd be nice.

At least the object limit is higher than expected. Recently I came across a figure of around 30K, which is why it made me concerned.

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Is there a publicly available roadmap still? I couldn't find one when I went searching, but I know Update 5 is the last before 1.0 release, and based on what we're seeing it really seems like this update is all about getting ready.
They seem to be cagey about things. They accidentally mentioned a priority merger (or whatever it was) and when people asked about it, they pretty much went "We didn't reveal it yet, so we're not saying anything."

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 17, 2021