Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Today I spent six hours setting up a facility to produce Heavy Modular Frames and I couldn’t be happier with the time spent. I know that’s nothing compared to some of the poo poo out there but it’s my first really big production facility in the game all geared towards a single purpose instead of whatever I happen to need at the time.

This game gets in your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Today's experiment: Careening trucks off cliffs as I attempt to bungle my way through automating a path up and down a kind of steep slope.

I don't like trucks.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

neogeo0823 posted:

This vid's a bit old, but likely still mostly applies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDjW5FOFVq8

As for me, does anyone have a good chart of the different item tiers? Like, base ores and materials are tier 1, ingots tier 2, plates, rods, and wire tier 3, etc. etc. etc.? I wanna know so I can begin planning out some general layout stuff for the megabase I'm working on.

Oh, so if I just... go away the flipped truck at the bottom of the cliff should respawn back on its track and teleport between nodes perfectly? Dope.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Usually when I finish a space elevator phase I turn off the project component assemblers for it but I had the feeling I would need a ton of them to make these new ones I hadn't heard of before and boy howdy was I glad I kept them on. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Getting real frustrated at this trains not being powered for clients bug— I want to make sure the tracks I lay are working right but that involves calling over the host, and we’re both getting frustrated with how fiddly the track laying (especially splits it seems) is in general.

Might just lay conveyors down between all our bases instead. :v:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I make more modular bases so plan as I go— make sure everything works in its little area perfectly and then redo things surrounding it so I can incorporate it into the larger machine for whatever I designed it for. Rather than one uber factory With everything transported to it I have several smaller satellite factories that make simpler components that are then bussed in to make more complex parts at a centralized location— steel products are made at one, plastic rubber and electrode circuit boards at another, then they’re moved to my central base to get put together into computers and stuff. Heavy modular frames get their own dedicated production facility built on top of three pure iron nodes close together since they’re so complex and resource-intensive to make.

I find a decentralized approach makes it way easier to incorporate new products as I unlock them. Means I can go find a new site close to the resources I need, set up production there, and pipe it into the central manufacturers.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The fact bullets take beacons to make is hilarious to me. Like Ficsit is tracking every drat shot to make sure you’re not the one shooting the space elevator when you’re bored.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The proper alternate recipe changes everything. Ask me about tearing down my Heavy Modular Frame factory mid-construction to start again because I unlocked the encased frame recipe halfway through. It was absolutely worth it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

While I have no problem with individually placing everything, I do agree that power lines are needlessly fiddly. At least let me daisychain machines that are next to each other together so it looks tidier.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

Oh No, I started playing again. Please send help, my work needs me.

The Factory is all the work you need, friend.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kramering into the thread to call the game a pile of poo poo, mindless, and “5% fun” is like the definition of bad faith posting.

Go play Factorio. I’m serious, you seem to really enjoy it and want to play more of it in other games so fire that bad boy up again. :unsmith:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

You can absolutely automate beacons.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Organization is a lie

It’s this.

I have my own personal brand of chaos that I can navigate and is a nightmare for the others on our server. Same for their bullshit spaghetti piles and me.

Let’s Game It Out said it best: “Yes it’s a nightmare, but it’s my nightmare.”

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

What do you mean where are the screws? In the screw container! Hang on fine.

*Takes three jump pads and a hypertube, climbs through several production plants and runs up to a cargo container identical to every other cargo container clustered around it*

See they’re right there how could you not find them?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

teacup posted:

How does the multiplayer work in this game? A mate and I both picked it up for steam and we’ve independently played a few hours each. Do you just have a different start point on a fresh map and both work towards making something? Does the game still give you the little objectives at the start? Or do you play in your already existing maps from single player?

You can choose whether or not to work through the step 0 stuff, if you skip it the host starts with the Hub parts and enough materials to make a couple miners or other machines. Both of you would start in the same biome the host chooses but you have to find each other, which isn’t too hard.

I highly recommend playing with other folks you know, it turns the game into even more of a motherfucking time vampire than it already is. Just be warned vehicles are even more hosed in MP.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Some of the alternate recipes are just bafflingly useless like that. Usually the ones involving rubber or plastic.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

One tiny little QoL feature I will always want is the ability to hook splitters directly to the output of a machine/cargo container and mergers to the input. That little fiddly bit of belt you have to deal with has driven me crazy more times than I can count.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

if only the world was all conveyors

With gumption and Ficsit ingenuity, you can make it happen.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Realtalk signage would be a nice addition.

Not for organization or anything. I just want the ability to throw up huge billboards of bullshit to annoy my friends.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

“Okay the rest of you fuckers actually build I’ll be paving over the entire planet on my foundation-jeep smell ya later.”

-Me to my friends, driving off into the sunset and leaving a parking lot in my wake

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

mirarant posted:

But you can do that right now..right?

You can but it’s fiddly in whether or not it’ll take or just sit there and clog up the line so you have to tear it down and redo the belt.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

What in gods name is this witchery of casted screws?

A life-changing revelation that you will still one day find woefully inadequate for your needs.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Something to keep in mind with manifolds is that they take time to fill— the first machines in the line will start producing efficiently before the others, then as their queue is maxed it will propagate down until, if you mathed it out right, the entire thing is producing at max efficiency. So give them a bit of time to chug up to speed before checking numbers.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Satisfactory has an in-game map but you have to unlock the tech through the MAM.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I much prefer to set up builds for basic resources at the deposits themselves then belt those to my central production facilities/nearby factories I’ve set up specifically for things like heavy frames. I’ve got in to the habit of staking out a good spot near the resources I need and doing a megabuild there for that sort of thing. It gives me something to do without bloating my main factory so much.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Can we skip the page or two or arguing about blueprints and go right to the inevitable “if you want blueprints play Factorio” instead?

I do agree that trains need tweaking though, but that could be an update all on its own. Vehicles in general, really.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The game is entirely about parts to make parts to make parts and how to best lay your factories out to make those parts. You’re playing a zen garden that shoots stuff off into space.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The proper corporate way isn’t bothering with the sun, just somewhere that isn’t the planet you’re on so it’s somebody else’s problem.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

So according to the host of our little three man gently caress-around there’s no auto-saving on this update? Which is just terrifying to hear after six hours of building.

Sounds like it’s a bug they’re aware of though.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Also, once again, modeling and designing new art assets is an entirely different part of a development team from designing and implementing a new building system.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

drunken officeparty posted:

I’m about to unlock tier 7 and 8 for the first time.

Computers, supercomputers, and heavy modular frames can bite me.

I feel like I'm the only person that actually enjoys mathing out and then finding a suitable place to build heavy modular frame factories.

Yes I do spend several hours on it and yes most of that is making it look good instead of a jumble of platforms and no I won't be taking any questions at this time.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Dunno-Lars posted:

Giant cancerous spaghetti that cover the map is fine, you can just cover it all in foundations :)

That’s the coward’s way.

Display your spaghetti for the eyes of god, man, and passing FICSIT observation satellites to behold. Brazenly spit in the face of decency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Rynoto posted:

Why yes I will take 15 giant plush lizard doggos please and thanks.