Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I did! And the joystick was so much better that I was able to shave off three minutes of level time because I could, you know, reliably hit what I was aiming at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Two videos this week to make up for last week!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Is that the return of the Medium Hulk from Descent 1? Or was it in one of the previous couple levels?

I'm wondering because it went unremarked, and it seemed to be the first D1 returner. Maybe because that level got re-recorded.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 29, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You know, I do think that's the first D1 enemy that came back, you're right.

It's just that it gets overshadowed by an enemy that shows up in level 5.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Montegoraon posted:

Is that the return of the Medium Hulk from Descent 1? Or was it in one of the previous couple levels?

I'm wondering because it went unremarked, and it seemed to be the first D1 returner. Maybe because that level got re-recorded.

The Descent 2 engine and assets included all the Descent 1 robots (and boss robots). Vertigo just added a bunch more robots on top of that.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

berryjon posted:

It's just that it gets overshadowed by an enemy that shows up in level 5.

"Enemy" isn't a nice way to refer to an old friend :(

Only a handful of D1 robots return for Vertigo but they picked some of the real assholes of the bunch for the reunion tour.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 29, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Level 3 has some audio balancing issues; large portions of the commentary were inaudible over the game audio.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Commander Keene posted:

Level 3 has some audio balancing issues; large portions of the commentary were inaudible over the game audio.

Tell me if this works out for you.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Much better!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

You and your co-commentators are very quiet again in this video. Except it varied this time; Leylite was largely fine, but I could barely hear you even when the game was quiet.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm sorry about Solitar's audio, that's as loud as I could make it.

Evil Imperial
Sep 4, 2014
I think your thinking of either Archimedes Dynasty, SubWar 2050, or TigerShark for the PSX for the submarine game you mention in the video.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Missing that yellow key was the Descent equivalent of watching television, going to the kitchen, pouring yourself a drink, chatting with family, doing the dishes, answering some texts, then going back to watch TV and forgetting to pick up the drink.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How is Descent with a joystick? I have a Thrustmaster HOTAS I use for Freespace and Elite, but I just use KB&M for Descent 1, 2, and 3 and Overload. Does Rebirth (or even Descent 3) worth with modern joysticks

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I only play with a joystick and keyboard, as I think it's the best way to play the game. And yes, D3 and Overload work with joysticks.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

berryjon posted:

I only play with a joystick and keyboard, as I think it's the best way to play the game. And yes, D3 and Overload work with joysticks.

Ok word, I gave D1 a try with my Thrustmaster T1600000000000M joystick and it works great, but for this game I don’t think it feels as comfortable as keyboard and mouse. I might play with it some more to see if I can adjust.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Not dead! I've got 10, 10A, 11, 12 and 13 ready for commentary, but my usual horde of helpers seem to be taking summer vacation, and I'm completely chill with that. Updates will resume when people trickle back in.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Welcome back! Also, as I know many of my commentators are starting to run out of gas, as such, here is the Discord Link for people who want to commentate in the future!

https://discord.gg/9DQpTpz

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'll be honest, I withdrew from commentating because it sounded like people didn't like the sound quality that comes out of my mike setup. I don't really do LPs anything like often enough to justify an expensive upgrade, so I've happily let others get on with it.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Regarding enemies working together, I recall that was a major advancement in Half-Life, that some were programmed to work together. It feels primative now, but at the time it was amazing.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Naturally, after fighting all those cloaked enemies in that level, the one cloaking device that dropped was from an enemy that wasn't cloaked.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Yay feeding an earth shaker to a thief bot has now been promised! :dance:

This is now stuck in your head.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

Yay feeding an earth shaker to a thief bot has now been promised! :dance:

This is now stuck in your head.

No.... You're doing it wrong. Remember that if the Earthshaker hits a target directly, then it just goes boom. But if it misses and hits a wall, it releases submunitions that seek out and deal more damage.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Level 20 is finished, which means that all primary recording for Vertigo is done. This means I can now start working on Descent 3!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

berryjon posted:

Level 20 is finished, which means that all primary recording for Vertigo is done. This means I can now start working on Descent 3!

I'm really excited to see Descent 3. I never played Mercenaries and don't remember the second half of D3 at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All I remember from Descent 3 is the train tunnels level and the whole game feeling really weird in the new engine. Definitely looking forward to that one.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Before you depart for the more 3d accelerated and 640x480 hard coded pastures of Descent 3 would it be possible for a brief bonus video showing off some of the more interesting cheat codes in Descent 1/2? Besides the basic power up cheats there are a few related to the guide bot that when combined are absolutely diabolical.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
"Introducing the game" videos are so fun, we decided to do another one!

I'm helping!

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
I don't know how Vertigo was originally sold except for the Descent I and II Definitive Collection. I bought it around 1999-2000 right when i started college and it was being sold really cheap in a bargain bin at Electronic Boutique (I'm not even sure it was EB Games at that point cause it was a long time ago). I still have the disks sitting next me in my piles of old CDs and DVDs.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

As a retail box on the shelf Descent 2: Infinite Abyss included Vertigo. I suppose Infinite Abyss would count as a Descent 2 re-release, repackaging, or something along those lines. I don't think Vertigo strictly by itself was available as a retail box anywhere.

Found this post from 2016 which seems to contain photos of every Descent related retail package to ever exist on Earth: https://playoverload.com/forums/topic/hello-there-here-a-descent-collectors-intro-8/#post-2891 :stare: Infinite Abyss is in there but I don't see Vertigo.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 30, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

DO I NOT PROMISE YOU THESE THINGS?!?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Hurling missiles at the thief bot until it was probably around 10% health and then force feeding it an earth shaker was the most appropriate way to do it. :allears: