Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
john, you are the drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'll throw my hat into the commentary ring (I'm in Europe so I'll go for a weekend slot). The Discord link has expired though?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'll be fine with weekends as well; just haven't recorded anything in ages.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I'll throw up another Discord link after work - I could have sworn I set it to not expire, but oh well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'd be game also, if you're wanting very vague memories from a Scot on this game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon posted:

I'll throw up another Discord link after work - I could have sworn I set it to not expire, but oh well.

Discord link is still viable - https://discord.gg/9DQpTpz again.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
That music from Episode 2 is giving me serious flashbacks to System Shock.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Bootcha and Leylite) - NO COMMENTARY - 14:37

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Watch me Stream some practice runs of Descent!

https://www.twitch.tv/berryjon

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

The spread cannon does equivalent damage to the level 4 laser I believe, but its firing arc makes it better for crowd control in a game where you don't want to be taking on enemies X to 1, and other upgrades coming up make their similar damage a moot point.

It would have been pretty helpful to have some crowd control in those rooms with the spawners though :v:

No reason to hold back on missiles either, you can only hold 20/10 of the basics and there are pickups EVERYWHERE so spam away!

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I wonder if the larger energy ball on the spread cannon is able to hit things more easily.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not really, there isn't a good crowd control weapon until Descent 2. But as was pointed out, this is a game where you really want to pick enemies off one by one.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I found the spreadfire good for clearing corridors when you don't want to stop. It's also good for AAAA SURPRISE HULK moments since all three shots will hit the hulk's wide "chest" area and kill it quickly.

And yes, the solution to the level 3 reactor room is to volley-fire missiles upwards, then scoot back out with your finger on the fire button to kill the chaff as quickly as possible. That Medium Hulk by the exit is Extremely Rude.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Do you have flares in Descent 1? I used them a ton in Descent 2 to light up corridors. Also, I thought Gauss Canon was only in Descent 2 as the alternate to Vulcan Canon

berryjon
May 30, 2011

mastersord posted:

Do you have flares in Descent 1? I used them a ton in Descent 2 to light up corridors. Also, I thought Gauss Canon was only in Descent 2 as the alternate to Vulcan Canon

Yes, there are Flares, and I even use them later on when the lights start going out.

Yes, you're right. It's just that was a slip of the tongue. Everyone knows that the Vulcan is in the number 2 slot, that's for sure!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also later in the game Flares are a great door opening tool. They always cost only 1 energy and sometimes it's a really bad idea to open a door by bumping into it.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I never played much of the first Descent, but I almost beat the second one. Are you going to LP that game, too?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Solitair posted:

I never played much of the first Descent, but I almost beat the second one. Are you going to LP that game, too?

Long term plans are to do D1, D2, D3 and D3:Mercs.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

berryjon posted:

Long term plans are to do D1, D2, D3 and D3:Mercs.

D3 is it's own beast. I'd also like to recommend D2:Vertigo and some of the fan-made stuff. I'm working my way through Enemy Within, but it is pretty hard.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

mastersord posted:

D3 is it's own beast. I'd also like to recommend D2:Vertigo and some of the fan-made stuff. I'm working my way through Enemy Within, but it is pretty hard.

Not as a Megathread, mind you. Separate threads for each, with Mercs being an appendix to 3.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Bootcha and Leylite) - NO COMMENTARY - 12:48

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

berryjon posted:

COMMENTARY (With Bootcha and Leylite) - NO COMMENTARY - 12:48

Ah yes, the Shreddy Boys. Many a night of me jumping out of my chair and hitting my head on the ceiling after one of those bastards sneaking up on me from behind, above, below...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bellmaker posted:

Ah yes, the Shreddy Boys. Many a night of me jumping out of my chair and hitting my head on the ceiling after one of those bastards sneaking up on me from behind, above, below...

I remember hiding behind the chair first time I encountered one as a kid.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Do the enemies have friendly fire damage? Those hugbots look like they would take a bunch of hits from the rear on approach

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Slaan posted:

Do the enemies have friendly fire damage? Those hugbots look like they would take a bunch of hits from the rear on approach

Maybe? I know I've seen enemies hit by friendly fire, but I can't tell if they took damage or not.

The AI is also pretty good about checking to see if they have a clear shot before firing, and having someone in your face usually causes everyone else to hold their fire.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Slaan posted:

I don't know about the version berryjon is running but I remember in the original that enemies did have friendly fire damage. It's just exceptionally rare and you can't really game it to get infighting going.

Also I might be wrong and that was a thing in 2 onward.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The shreddy guys do a pretty decent chunk of damage, too. Especially if you get pinned against a wall by one.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know in Doom if you get one guy to shoot another they turn around and start fighting. Can't recall if Descent does that.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bruceski posted:

I know in Doom if you get one guy to shoot another they turn around and start fighting. Can't recall if Descent does that.

No, not in this game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite) - NO COMMENTARY - 17:27

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

So neat thing about the cloaking device that wasn't mentioned: Enemies can't see you until you shoot, then they'll target the location you were shooting from (like the reactor did at the end). For 1994 that was nuuuuuuuts.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

So neat thing about the cloaking device that wasn't mentioned: Enemies can't see you until you shoot, then they'll target the location you were shooting from (like the reactor did at the end). For 1994 that was nuuuuuuuts.

And unless you're actively shooting, Homing shots don't home. Instead, when you break cloak, Homing weapons reorient on your last-known location, and keep flying in that direction.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
There are so many things about this game that were downright miraculous for their time.

But are there any bugs? Way back when I was a kid, I don't remember it ever crashing or anything else. It seemed pretty stable.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

berryjon posted:

And unless you're actively shooting, Homing shots don't home. Instead, when you break cloak, Homing weapons reorient on your last-known location, and keep flying in that direction.
Yeah, this is how you do invisibility as opposed to, say, Doom.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

But are there any bugs? Way back when I was a kid, I don't remember it ever crashing or anything else. It seemed pretty stable.

Bugs? Not that I can recall. Heck, I just googled that, and the only mention of bug was for Amnesia, the Dark Descent, not this 25 year old game.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I believe bot weapons do not have friendly fire - missile-armed enemies will happily fire them into the backs of their own allies (especially a particular lategame one) without blinking, and there are several energy-weapon-equipped bots that fire indiscriminately. I have never seen a bot destroyed when it soaks up shots like that.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

COMMENTARY (With Leylite and Speedball) - NO COMMENTARY - 16:34

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
It's really impressive how spiteful this game can get sometimes with both its enemy placement and setpiece design (and, more boringly, just having a hitscan enemy with fast reaction time in general).

This is how developers make memorable difficulty, not just "increase the enemy quantity and enemy stats" difficulty.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

VRRR :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

It just occurred to me that I should use the Class 1 Driller Drone alert sound as an alarm on my cellphone. Ought to be super effective.

In Descent 1 robot infighting isn't a thing but in Descent 2 it was present and could be toggled via cheat code in version 1.1 causing bots to actively attack each other. Otherwise the infighting functionality wasn't used anywhere in the normal game.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 4, 2019