Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Watching Haruhi for the first time and just finished this arc, I thought it was fantastic. I just got more and more hype for the concept as it went along. Your thoughts, everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Endless eight owns and all the naysayers can get OUTTA HERE

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i watched it while i was v comfy and drunk. i don't know how people do it otherwise.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

littleorv posted:

Endless eight owns and all the naysayers can get OUTTA HERE

Make me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

They call it Endless Eight because eight to life is long the people at KyoAni should get in prison for making this travesty of animation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject but are the Haruhi novels still going in Japan? I know there hasn't been much in the way of the anime version since the Disappearance movie a while back.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Endless Eight is a unique and vaguely surreal experience. I have no idea whether or not I would recommend it to anyone but I'm sort of glad I watched it for reasons that I can't explain.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I only made it to episode 3.

You guys who tortured yourself with all eight confuse me greatly.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I thought Endless Eight was a FYAD thing?

They have all those sigs with the characters from that Adam Sandler Christmas cartoon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ah yes, Endless Eight. How can I forget?

"Kyon, your phone" :stonklol:

I... I'm fine. Really.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I only made it to episode 3.

You guys who tortured yourself with all eight confuse me greatly.

I knew what was coming and was determined to watch the whole thing and I also only got to episode 3 before burning out on the whole show.

Honestly the worst decision I've seen in television. I can only imagine what it was like when it was airing.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I knew what was coming and was determined to watch the whole thing and I also only got to episode 3 before burning out on the whole show.

Honestly the worst decision I've seen in television. I can only imagine what it was like when it was airing.

The slow realisation that,yes, they are doing it for eight episodes was excellent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Larryb posted:

Off the subject but are the Haruhi novels still going in Japan? I know there hasn't been much in the way of the anime version since the Disappearance movie a while back.
They sort of ended in 2011, insomuch as there was something that could be called an ending, but a lot of things were still unresolved and there was no big announcement that it was ending, it just kind of happened. But the author hasn't published anything since outside of a short story last year. So, who knows.

my take on endless eight: I don't think it's an especially good watch but I admire KyoAni for doing something so experimental.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Has anyone tried a Zaireeka-esque approach with Endless Eight?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The shot following the second hand of the clock for a full minute was awesome, IMO.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
How long would it take, minimum, to watch all episodes of Endless Eight in all possible consecutive orders, such that some of these orders are allowed to overlap?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The math has been solved but I don't get why you'd do that they are clearly meant to be in the order they're in.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Kyon-kun, denwa

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Last year I rewatched all of Haruhi, including all of the Endless Eight.

Watching it the first time was a much different experience, since then I was watching it as it came out, so with each one you didn't know that this episode really was going to do it again. At least the first time through I really empathized with Yuki having to relive it all again and being aware of it each time.

On the rewatch, only knowing that the movie was ahead of me, kept me going through the Endless Eight. I don't think I'll ever rewatch all of them again.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It's cool how Yuki's in a different spot in the pool scene each time. She's already seen it all but she's still going to observe to the best of her ability from every available perspective.

Will admit I'm curious what they did those two times they didn't go to a Bon festival.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Watching Endless Eight for the first time was like running a marathon through a hot desert, but the payoff when Kyon fixes the poo poo was like diving into a pool of ice water and chugging ten cold beers after said marathon.

It wouldn't have felt anywhere close to that good if it was just the finale of a single episode, if we had not suffered and strived to reach this one point, but was that glorious cathartic moment actually worth the agony of the journey? Was Endless Eight a triumph, or just audience torture? Were there any time loops where Nagato just loving kills everyone?

We may never know the answers to these fundamental questions. In short,

littleorv posted:

Kyon-kun, denwa

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv posted:

Kyon-kun, denwa
Don't need you to tell me that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

P-Mack posted:

Will admit I'm curious what they did those two times they didn't go to a Bon festival.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Were there any time loops where Nagato just loving kills everyone?

I think we've cracked this one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

P-Mack posted:

The math has been solved but I don't get why you'd do that they are clearly meant to be in the order they're in.

Because why not?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Because why not?

The Hui people of Gansu have an annual ceremony where they commemorate the attempted genocide of their community under the Qing. They gather at the mosque and read every single chapter of the Quran- simultaneously.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

littleorv posted:

Kyon-kun, denwa

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm down with the EE

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Endless Eight is one of those ideas that is genius to read about others experiencing but is actually garbage as an actual work. I don't know anyone who didn't quit around halfway through the 3rd loop once they realized what was happening.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Goon walks into a cathedral, stares up at the stained glass windows:

"The Crucifixion? I've already seen that story two or three times already. Pass."

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I call it the Epic eight.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's amazingly that it exists but in retrospect I wouldn't mind them animating the rest of the series instead of stopping on the biggest troll ever created.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, has there been anything from the light novels that still hasn't appeared in animated form yet?

As for EE, I appreciate what they were trying to do but I also think they could have accomplished the same result without wasting 8 whole episodes on it. Also, was that particular arc even from the novels?

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Endless Eight was amazing and I appreciated the amazing troll that it was. That said, I was super excited for 14 new episodes of Haruhi, and got essentially 7.

Once they did it past 4 episodes, I started wanting them to go all the way to 8 endless eight just because the meltdowns on 4chan were so amazing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of which, has there been anything from the light novels that still hasn't appeared in animated form yet?

As for EE, I appreciate what they were trying to do but I also think they could have accomplished the same result without wasting 8 whole episodes on it. Also, was that particular arc even from the novels?

The story is in the books but we only ever see the final loop. It's just, "Hey Kyon stop summer vacation from repeating", "okay", the end.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Count me in the 'got bored after 3 episodes' camp

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I was nervous after the plot of the second episode diverged from the first, then extremely hyped when the third was identical to the second.

What if we'd gotten eight episodes of Kyon exchanging a heater?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

galagazombie posted:

The story is in the books but we only ever see the final loop. It's just, "Hey Kyon stop summer vacation from repeating", "okay", the end.

All the more reason why we didn't need a full 8 episodes, just do maybe two or three episodes to establish they're stuck in a time loop and then jump straight to the final one after that. Also considering they only had 14 episodes to work with wasting over half that amount on an elaborate troll seems kind of stupid to me.

Off topic, it's been a while since I saw it but how well did the movie work as a series finale?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

It’s a fantastic movie but it doesn’t wrap everything up since it leaves some plot threads hanging

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I didn't mind watching through Endless Eight live, because it was kind of interesting and the payoff at the end was worth it at the time. Looking back now, I kind of wish they hadn't done it that way since I think it played a major role in killing the whole franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regardless I'd still like to see more Haruhi one day but as mentioned a few posts above, the original author hasn't really done anything with it since 2011 so it's probably not likely at this point (then again, the Slayers novels started back up again recently so I suppose anything's possible). Also, they never told us what Kyon's real name was did they?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 11, 2019