Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Project Geeker

Aired: 1996
Seasons: 1
Network: CBS

quote:

The show parodied the style of action-adventure cartoons. Set in the future, it was based around a genetic shapeshifter experiment known as Project GKR (Geno-Kinetic Research), who had been stolen by Lady MacBeth (a short-tempered cyborg with a bionic arm) before he could get the programming he needed to be a deadly and powerful weapon at the hands of the evil Mister Moloch, head of Moloch Industries. Due to the lack of his final programming, "GeeKeR" is left to be a totally random, permanently salivating, four-fingered klutz. He only occasionally manages to use his powers to any full extent, a blessing and a threat to his friends and their enemies. Lady MacBeth and her partner-in-crime Noah, a baseball cap wearing intelligent Tyrannosaurus rex, must now prevent Moloch and GeeKeR's creator Dr. Maston from ever obtaining GeeKeR at all costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Shnookums and Meat Funny Cartoon Show

Aired: 1995
Network: Disney

quote:

This animated series actually follows three different cartoon scenarios along with a few other segments.

Shnookums and Meat!
This segment involves a cat named Shnookums (voiced by Jason Marsden) and a dog named Meat (voiced by Frank Welker) who do not get along very well. Their owners are unseen stock characters only viewed from the neck down and named (appropriately enough) Husband & Wife (voiced by Steve Mackall and Tress MacNeille). Husband is always referring to their home as their "domicile" before the two leave their pets in charge while they are away.

Pith Possum: Super Dynamic Possum of Tomorrow
A spoof of the Batman comics, with the superhero Pith Possum (voiced by Jeff Bennett) and his sidekick Obediah the Wonder Raccoon (voiced by Patric Zimmerman) fighting crime in Possum City when called by Commissioner Stress the Gorilla (voiced by Brad Garrett). Pith Possum's true identity is lowly tabloid copyboy Peter Possum. Pith Possum fights various enemies with his recurring one being a mad lumberjack named Dr. Paul Bunion (voiced by Jim Cummings). Pith Possum (even when in his true identity) also has developed a crush on a female human reporter named Doris Deer (voiced by April Winchell). It was stated that Pith Possum was an ordinary lab opossum until he gained ultra opossum-like abilities upon an experiment gone wrong. The titles of the episodes are completely unrelated to their contents but rather (usually) over the top titles always using the word 'dark' or 'darkness' and often with the words 'black' and 'night' (e.g., The Phantom Mask of the Dark Black Darkness of Black, Return of the Night of Blacker Darkness, Return of the Dark Mask of Phantom Blackness, etc.). Jim Cummings provided the narration in most episodes.

Tex Tinstar: The Best in the West
A parody of Wild West serials involving the cowboy Tex Tinstar (voiced by Jeff Bennett), his horse Here Boy, and Tex's friends Smelly Deputy Chafe (voiced by Charlie Adler), Percy Lacedaisy (voiced by Corey Burton), and Floyd the Insane Rattlesnake (voiced by Jess Harnell) who always get into trouble when pursuing a group of outlaws called the Wrong Riders consisting of Wrongo (voiced by Brad Garrett), Ian (voiced by Corey Burton in a homage to Paul Frees character Inspector Fenwick from Dudley Do-Right), and Clem. The end of each episode ends in a cliffhanger for next week (not unlike the serials or "Rocky and Bullwinkle"). Jim Cummings narrated each installment.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkcJneh3cLI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMIzTh0Lafg

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Sam & Max

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Skeleton Warriors

Aired: 1995
Network: CBS

quote:

The story takes place on the fictional distant planet of "Luminaire". The conflict of the plot revolves around the need to control the Lightstar Crystal. This powerful crystal powers the great city of Luminicity. Baron Dark, the show's main villain, tried to steal the crystal in order to gain control over its incredible power. He only succeeded in obtaining half of the crystal, with the other half being obtained by Prince Lightstar.

The half of the crystal that the Baron Dark managed to obtain turns him into a living skeleton. It also gives him the power to turn those with evil hearts into living skeletons for his army. Each episode involves Prince Lightstar, his siblings and Baron Dark attempting to obtain the other half of their respective crystals in order to gain control over the planet.

Prince Lightstar forms part of the "Legion of Light." It consists of Justin Lightstar a.k.a. Prince Lightstar, Joshua Lightstar a.k.a. Grimskull, and Jennifer Steele a.k.a. Talyn. They also have been endowed with great powers through their half of the Crystal. They team together with their uncle Ursak (a.k.a. Guardian) to battle the evil Baron Dark. While Baron Dark is transformed into an undead skeleton and given the ability to transform other living beings into his Skeleton Warriors, the Legion of Light gains other fantastic abilities: Lightstar gains the ability to channel energy through his hands, Talyn gains the power of flight, and Grimskull is transformed into an undead creature similar to the Baron, but also has the power to travel through shadows.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Not exactly obscure, but Exo-Squad.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

MASK

A motorcycle turned into a helicopter!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoqXzmEYcyU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

pnumoman posted:

Not exactly obscure, but Exo-Squad.

Good pick. Exo Squad was the first non Japanese cartoon that I ever watched that was actually willing to kill off characters and deal with the ramification.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Brave Starr

Aired: 1987
Network: NBC

quote:

Marshal BraveStarr (voiced by Pat Fraley) - The title character; a Native American who can call upon the power of "spirit animals", enabling him briefly to perform superhuman feats. The Eyes of the Hawk enhances his vision and can also grant him an aerial view of the adjacent area. The Ears of the Wolf gives him super-human hearing. The Strength of the Bear gives him super-human strength. The Speed of the Puma gives him super-human speed. The Strength of the Bear grants BraveStarr strength sufficient to destroy stone or support steel bridges, whereas the Speed of the Puma allows him speeds akin to comic-book characters Quicksilver and the Flash. In addition to his animal powers, he has electronic equipment such as a computerized visor and a two-way radio. BraveStarr also carries a "Neutra-laser" pistol and a "Trans-freezer" rifle, and the badge on his shirt can shield him at need. Although called "Protector of Peace" and "Champion of Justice", he usually acts in the former role, preferring to serve as a mediator in any conflict. He often seeks peaceful resolution to every problem, unless confronted by the series' periodic villains.
Thirty/Thirty (voiced by Ed Gilbert) - BraveStarr's Equestroid and chief deputy, capable of assuming a bipedal form at will. His principal weapon is the "Sarah Jane": a large blunderbuss from which he projects directed energy. He is more belligerent than BraveStarr, and will often prefer fights to resolutions. His appearance later inspired an alternative design for the character of Sylvia in the Wander Over Yonder episode "The Cartoon."
Judge J.B. McBride (voiced by Susan Blu) - Fort Kerium's principal (and perhaps only) judge and lawyer, BraveStarr's ally, consultant, and occasional paramour. In battle, she uses an electronic gavel (called a "hammer of justice" in the series) given to her by the Prairie People.
Shaman (voiced by Ed Gilbert) - An otherwise-unnamed mystic, capable of teleportation, time travel, psychokinesis, and near-omniscient clairvoyance. He is BraveStarr's mentor and foster-father. BraveStarr would often telepathically contact Shaman for advice on how to handle certain situations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

gargoyles was v good and had the beard kirk from tng as an insane billionaire who married a werewolf

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
There was a show called little Dracula on briefly in the early 90s. I had toys and the comics.

Plus pirates of dark water

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
pirates of dark water. cancelled before they finished the quest

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhL5gUWj6Wo

Schon

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Motorcycle mice from mars my dudes!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdSDuJu04xU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I actually remember Project Geekr and Shnookums.

What about The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat? I actually liked the 1990 movie when I was a kid, but it doesn't hold up today :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asqNyc8XdmA

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

What about The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat? I actually liked the 1990 movie when I was a kid, but it doesn't hold up today :(

All I remember from the Felix movie was the part where they were chased by a tribe of head hunters. But the headhunters would also take the heads from other headhunters, leading to some having a huge stack of heads.

And the heads had wings and would try to fly away to escape.

It was an odd movie.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw1G8fAkr14

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I refuse to believe that Project Geeker isnt a weird internet hoax.

My choice is something that I barely remember (would have been 4 or 5 at the time), save for the fact I used to eat quesadillas at the time it was on and the one time i caught a bit of it playing in a Mexican airport. Some kind user on the X-E forums identified it ages ago.

The Comic Strip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuDSDtgEoAU

Aired: Sept 1987 - Dec 1987
Season: 1 (barely)
Network: First Run Syndication (Fox 11 in L.A.)

Rankin-Bass' last cartoon work, it was a 30 minute show that showcased 4 different series. Not quite an anthology and not quite a Hour Of Power type bundle, it operated under the idea that you were watching Tv in the same way you would read comics from your local paper. The show varied which series were being shown that day (usually 2 per airing) so if you had a favorite you weren't guaranteed to get it.
As far as I know, no toys were made or any supplemental media produced, so it's not surprising it didn't last too long.

The four shows were (edited from the Wiki):

The Mini-Monsters: The Muppet Babies ripoff,
Human twin siblings Sherman and Melissa find themselves sent to summer camp for one year. Camp Mini-Mon turns out to be attended by monster kids who are offspring of usually famous monsters: Count Dracula's son Dracky, Frankenstein's son Franky, The Wolf Man's son Wolfie, The Creature from the Black Lagoon's son Gill, The Mummy's son Mummo, the Invisible Man's son Blanko, Klutz (who may or may not be Godzilla's son), Jynx the Witch, and Merlin's son Melvin.

Street Frogs: TMNT, by way of puns relying on Hip Hop and Frogs.
Depicting the teen-aged hijinks of a gang of street-smart frogs named Big Max, Spider, Moose The Loose, "Honey Love" Loretta, and Dr. Slick. Each episode contains a musical number. Apart from Rankin-Bass regular Bob McFadden, this segment featured an African-American cast.

Karate Kat: the Hanna Barbera ripoff,
A private investigator cat uses his karate to fight crime in his town which is usually in the form of gang leader Big Papa and his two lackeys named Boom-Boom Burmese and Sumo Sai. When working at for McClaws's Detective Agency run by his boss Katie "Big Mama" McClaw, you know what, I'm not gonna subject you to all the cat puns. He works with cats, they have cat names, it's a mess just go watch the hip hop Frogs show.

TigerSharks: Grew up in the shadow of its big bros Thundercats and Silver Hawks,
A group of powered up human/sea animal hybrids consisting of Mako, Walro, Dolph, Octavia, Lorca, Bronc, Angel, and Gupp become involved in underwater adventures that has them facing off against villains like T-Ray and Captain Bizzarly. Each episode consisted of two parts.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

Aired: 1990
Seasons: 2
Network: Fox

quote:

The series picks up five years after The Great Tomato War (much as the film Return Of The Killer Tomatoes did), where tomatoes are banned. However that has not stopped Dr. Putrid T. Gangreen from engaging in his experiments. Gangreen's ultimate goal is to rule the world and he will not let anyone stop him. But his most successful experiment may very well be his undoing. Tara Boumdeay, a tomato turned human, runs away from Gangreen, taking along her 'Brother', the fur-covered F.T., whom she passes off as a dog. They befriend Chad Finletter (nephew of the Great Tomato War veteran, Wilbur Finletter) who, after saving the pair from a tomato attack, gets Tara a job at his uncle Wilbur's Tomatoless Pizza Parlor. She shares their secret with Chad regarding the two of them being tomatoes and Chad vows to help them against whatever Gangreen has planned. That is where everyone stands at the start of the first episode, "Give A Little Whistle", where the evil Doctor sets his new plans into motion (and would continue through the first season).

Season Two would center on Gangreen actually conquering the world in the debut episode. But Gangreen learns on a personal level the importance of the quote "Be careful what you wish for". He is overthrown by Zoltan and his gang of twice-mutated tomatoes, and is forced to join up with Chad, Tara, Wilbur and the rest of the Tomato Task Force (other vets of the Great Tomato War).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
My childhood was basically everything on this list up to ~2005, combined with some Nickelodeon and Disney channel. Probably not very obscure if you grew up in Canada.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Shmoo.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I thought Road Rovers got at least three seasons but nope, 13 episode run. Sad.

The Centurions was as blatant a toy commercial as they come but it was cool as poo poo and all the main characters were very gay

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors was pretty :krad: until after the point of the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K0SzFIf4A

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Sam & Max had an episode that was just a spoof of Apocalypse Now/Heart of Darkness set in Central Park complete with a Marlon Brando impression and it was lost on me as a child.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCf57yiE52U

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How about a Canadian produced, Japanese animated, adaption of a hyper-violent/sexual Argentinian comic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqrp3cx4ngw

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I thought Road Rovers got at least three seasons but nope, 13 episode run. Sad.

Trying to make sense of seasons with most of these old cartoons is very weird.

It's not uncommon to see a show with only one season, but had like 60+ episodes.

Then you have even more confusing cases with stuff like Darkwing Duck which had 3 season, but season 1 and 2 aired concurrently on both Disney and ABC for a grand total of 91 episodes over 2 years.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron

T-Bone and Razor were some cool kats for cool kids, like me to watch in the 90s. Also the first episode premiered on Sept 11th, 1993, so you'd never forget

Vakal
May 11, 2008

RatHat posted:

How about a Canadian produced, Japanese animated, adaption of a hyper-violent/sexual Argentinian comic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqrp3cx4ngw

Cybersix was so cool for its time and it's a crime it never got more episodes.

For some reason it really reminded me of the Mighty Max cartoon which was also really good.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron

T-Bone and Razor were some cool kats for cool kids, like me to watch in the 90s. Also the first episode premiered on Sept 11th, 1993, so you'd never forget

The best part about Swat Kats is it's every bit as good and cool as you remember

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPq036JDj3w

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vakal posted:

Cybersix was so cool for its time and it's a crime it never got more episodes.

For some reason it really reminded me of the Mighty Max cartoon which was also really good.

Fun fact: The author and artist of Cybersix sued James Cameron for plagiarizing the plot for Dark Angel. It was only dropped because they ran out of money(and Dark Angel was cancelled after only 2 seasons anyway).

Vakal
May 11, 2008

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Why is Martin Short about to suck off Hitler?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aUfGClzhdI

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

anime is not cartoons!!!!!

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Good show. We had a couple of cats named Eek and Annabelle growing up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lor_uUkJkkw

Dino Riders! Made some loving awesome toys.