Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
New climate change thread, because the last one got a little too theoretical. Post about how utterly hosed we are and possible solutions/ deranged lols here. Do NOT post about completely theoretical ecoterrorism. In conclusion,

Lol.

slumdoge millionare has issued a correction as of 14:15 on Mar 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

start bombing factories

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm starting this thread of right by giving you how the libs imagination sees us fixing climate change by 2050.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...m_campaign=news

It's grim.
The part about more people moving into cities and expanding public transit is good though.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The lifespan of climate change threads seems to be shrinking just like ours

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
violence is being done against you

you are under existential threat via greed

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

you should probably be a good citizen though and not worry about it and don't do anything

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I didn't read the old thread but I heard about the infamous climate change thread from the mental health thread, where it seems to have generated or worsened clinical depression in about half a dozen people

I see this new one is also off to a good start

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Wow! Incoming death to all life!!

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Ted!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

twoday posted:

I didn't read the old thread but I heard about the infamous climate change thread from the mental health thread, where it seems to have generated or worsened clinical depression in about half a dozen people

I see this new one is also off to a good start

I think part of the problem is that there rarely good news on the climate change front so what else is there to do but lmbo at the bad news?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

net work error posted:

I think part of the problem is that there rarely good news on the climate change front so what else is there to do but lmbo at the bad news?

Rarely? Rarely??

name one good bit of climate change news in the last decade and no paris accords don't count

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Good is relative but the seaweed cutting down on cow farts was neat and the green new deal getting big and jackbooted toddlers accosting boomer politicians is fun. Other uhh :shrug:

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

net work error posted:

It will take a minimum of a few millions years for intelligent life to evolve again and by that time all of our electronic records will be long destroyed so they'll think we were some kind of hyper-advanced precursor race that died to something cool instead of idiots too stupid to stop doing capitalism.

Like imagine the beetles that evolved to eat plastic or whatever unearthing a Cheesecake Factory and thinking that it must have been some sort of temple.

Iron Twinkie has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Mar 11, 2019

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
None of this would had happened if fungus that could break down dead plant matter didnt take millions of loving years to evolve after trees and poo poo popped up. There wiuldnt have even been amy oil or coal for us to hurn or turn into lovely disposable plastic goods.

We got owned by evolution.

EvilJoven has issued a correction as of 16:08 on Mar 11, 2019

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
nobody forced humans to start burning fossil fuels

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

EvilJoven posted:

None of this would had happened if fungus that could break down dead plant matter didnt take millions of loving years to evolve after trees and poo poo popped up. There wiuldnt have even been amy oil or coal for us to hurn or turn into lovely disposable plastic goods.

We got owned by evolution.

This is the funniest part, like, are we double+ lucky/unlucky out of all sentient species in the universe? Impossible to know whether everyone gets handed the rope to tie their own noose, but it can't happen here again.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
when you think about it, it seems pretty foolish to burn the toxic, concentrated death of past eons for quick dirty energy

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lol at my friends and coworkers who have convinced themselves that having kids is a good idea

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
loving cowards lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ground floor

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Streak posted:

Lol at my friends and coworkers who have convinced themselves that having kids is a good idea

my bloodline!!!!!!!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Okay new front page, may as well throw this out there again in the spirit of, uh, constructive endeavors, as opposed to... the alternatives. (It's guillotines :ssh: :killing:)

The Green New Deal is a great conversation starter, but there is a crucial piece missing. Nuclear power is the only workable option we have that could scale to and replace our fossil fuel addiction. It would be monumentally expensive, but feasible, to roll out reactors at a rate that would actually meet emission reduction needs, were there political will to arrest the resources towards such a goal.

So like, get on the loving bandwagon already if you're still a nuke luddite you're loving wrong son

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

I'm starting this thread of right by giving you how the libs imagination sees us fixing climate change by 2050.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...m_campaign=news

It's grim.
The part about more people moving into cities and expanding public transit is good though.

I heard this on the radio when I was driving in this morning. They interviewed a woman having a full delusional break acting like it was 2050 and talking about all the cool things that happened, like getting rid of trucks, building a massive solar array in the sahara that gave south-saharan africa cheap power, and electric everything. I couldnt figure out what the gently caress the point was beyond thinking "shits hosed, lets just pretend like we can fix it"

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
future looking mighty bleak

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Protagonist posted:

So like, get on the loving bandwagon already if you're still a nuke luddite you're loving wrong son

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

RaySmuckles posted:

future looking mighty bleak

hey if you're feeling down here's some good news: the human population is going to approach zero by the end of next century

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

Okay new front page, may as well throw this out there again in the spirit of, uh, constructive endeavors, as opposed to... the alternatives. (It's guillotines :ssh: :killing:)

The Green New Deal is a great conversation starter, but there is a crucial piece missing. Nuclear power is the only workable option we have that could scale to and replace our fossil fuel addiction. It would be monumentally expensive, but feasible, to roll out reactors at a rate that would actually meet emission reduction needs, were there political will to arrest the resources towards such a goal.

Nuclear not being improved on and forcing us to be stuck with old plants that aren't as good and not as safe as newer ones thus helping people buy into the narrative that it's bad is a cool loop.

Solar and other renewables are good but don't scale up as well right?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They don't scale up as well, they aren't a constant meaning we need massive batteries/capacitors to store energy for when the sun is down or the wind is not blowing strongly (and our tech to do that with sucks), the wind turbines have like a 8-10 year lifespan (iirc), and you need to dig up tons of rare earth metals for the solar panels (don't remember if more mining would need to be done vs the mining required to get fissile material for a nuke plant but pretty sure it is more mining for rare earth metals and in shittier areas like the Congo where kids will be doing said mining).

In a nutshell, wind/solar is great but afaik it currently isn't sufficient to be the backbone of the electrical grid and there are still more environmental concerns than versus nuclear.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/494425/death-rate-worldwide-by-energy-source/

http://www.nuceng.ca/refer/risk/risk.htm

spooky scary RaDiAtiOn though

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:42 on Mar 11, 2019

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

succ posted:

my bloodline!!!!!!!

thank god mine dies with me

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Went back and looked at some numbers, the commonly touted Jacobson 100% renewables plan calls for half a million 5-megawatt wind turbines, and eighteen billion square meters of PV panels, which upon reaching end of life averages out to a little more than a million square meters of PV needing replacement, per diem

Overall it's a ~$15 trillion dollar price tag and we haven't even talked about storage yet. Hooboy. Anyway the same output from next generation nuclear plants is estimated at around ~$3-6 trillion, with far less land, maintenance and material costs.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Is the fuel inside nuclear weapons compatible with power generating reactors?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

net work error posted:

Yeah. Iirc, that's what subs use (smaller, quieter reactors)

edit: They use uranium. Bombs can use uranium or plutonium. The good bombs use plutonium. Nevermind, there's reactor designs for both

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 18:57 on Mar 11, 2019

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

net work error posted:

gently caress yea it is, in fact, a while back the US bought like 21,000 old russian warheads and broke them down for reactor fuel, which still lights some of our cities today. That also makes nuclear power the strongest market incentive for nonproliferation b

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe

net work error posted:

Yeah they blend it with depleted fuel to make it more manageable in a reactor or something like that. Supposedly it's been a thing for a while as part of disarmament treaties or some such.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So let's just do more that. Someone tell AOC or something.

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
The extreme amount of nimby for nuclear power is hilarious.

Oddly enough where I'm at we've got power from a nuclear plant and people here really hate windmills instead.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Moridin920 posted:

They don't scale up as well, they aren't a constant meaning we need massive batteries/capacitors to store energy for when the sun is down or the wind is not blowing strongly (and our tech to do that with sucks), the wind turbines have like a 8-10 year lifespan (iirc), and you need to dig up tons of rare earth metals for the solar panels (don't remember if more mining would need to be done vs the mining required to get fissile material for a nuke plant but pretty sure it is more mining for rare earth metals and in shittier areas like the Congo where kids will be doing said mining).

In a nutshell, wind/solar is great but afaik it currently isn't sufficient to be the backbone of the electrical grid and there are still more environmental concerns than versus nuclear.

It's quite feasible, cheap and most importantly a lot faster to use renewables up to a certain percentage (most sources say about 80%), after which it gets way more expensive. They're not perfect tho and we need a smart combination of renwables with nuclear and peaker gas-plants to make it work. Nuclear imho takes too long and is too expensive in the short run to go full hog on.

Your wind lifespan is way off mark tho, it's more than double what you quoted. In germany we are shutting off wind turbines after 20 years because the compensation per kWh is running out, not because they're unable to run any more.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Have you considered not burning hydrocarbons? Idk, seems pretty simple to me

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Son of Rodney posted:

It's quite feasible, cheap and most importantly a lot faster to use renewables up to a certain percentage (most sources say about 80%), after which it gets way more expensive. They're not perfect tho and we need a smart combination of renwables with nuclear and peaker gas-plants to make it work. Nuclear imho takes too long and is too expensive in the short run to go full hog on.

Your wind lifespan is way off mark tho, it's more than double what you quoted. In germany we are shutting off wind turbines after 20 years because the compensation per kWh is running out, not because they're unable to run any more.

Fair enough, I'm probably not as updated as I could be. We definitely need a mix and there's no reason we can't do things like cover high rises in solar panels.

But if this is true:

The Protagonist posted:

Went back and looked at some numbers, the commonly touted Jacobson 100% renewables plan calls for half a million 5-megawatt wind turbines, and eighteen billion square meters of PV panels, which upon reaching end of life averages out to a little more than a million square meters of PV needing replacement, per diem

That's untenable imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Mayor Dave posted:

Have you considered not burning hydrocarbons? Idk, seems pretty simple to me

Okay, but what about besides that.