Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Rime posted:

No, you've got about ten years left.

You know in fantasy /sci-fi the trope of an advanced mystical civilization shrouded in time? Lost technology which built vast monuments and allowed for miraculous knowledge?

You're living at the top of it. Three hundred years from now, some wretch is going to dig up the last smartphone you ever bought and take it to the local shaman, to try and divine secrets from a legendary slate of power.

And then that tribe will drink from some source with just a few too many heavy metals / radioactive isotopes in it and the last of humanity will go poof as they poo poo rivers of blood and die.

Boom, the circle of life will have finally consumed itself.

goddamnit rime, 2029 is the exact year some fruity goddamn futurists predicted ai will be viably generalized and i have been running my mouth about how our destiny is not to persist but to give birth to synthetic life just before expiring and fffffff page topper deux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Personally I just accept that poo poo is hosed and we will all die of climate change, if not for other reasons beforehand, as a given.

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

Rime posted:

You know in fantasy /sci-fi the trope of an advanced mystical civilization shrouded in time? Lost technology which built vast monuments and allowed for miraculous knowledge?

You're living at the top of it. Three hundred years from now, some wretch is going to dig up the last smartphone you ever bought and take it to the local shaman, to try and divine secrets from a legendary slate of power.

And then that tribe will drink from some source with just a few too many heavy metals / radioactive isotopes in it and the last of humanity will go poof as they poo poo rivers of blood and die.

hmm good point have you considered throwing your internet devices away to get acclimated to it? just a thought

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Mayor Dave posted:

Miami Beach is entirely artificial and the sea will reclaim it in short order

Hamas should rebrand with, "Climate Change, or, Driving Miami-Beach Into The Sea One Emission At A Time"

They can stump for adaptation/mitigation through efficient urbanization, pursuant to which a 2-state solution naturally follows ofc

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 02:42 on Mar 12, 2019

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Rime posted:

yo Rime word to the wise CSPAM mental health thread is stickied at the top of the forum

I've been a turmo poster since I stared at palestinian children getting roasted alive by the israelis via white phosphorus

You need help, bud.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

That's a take. Another one is he's just a clear eyed realist with a sober analysis of the known, indisputable facts.

Or

Maybe

The truth is somewhEeerreEeeee inbeeeEeeeetween

I really liked your long form post Rime, but 10 years does seem scant.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Protagonist posted:

you should probably be a good citizen though and not worry about it and don't do anything

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

slumdoge millionare posted:

yo Rime word to the wise CSPAM mental health thread is stickied at the top of the forum

I've been a turmo poster since I stared at palestinian children getting roasted alive by the israelis via white phosphorus

You need help, bud.

I'd put what he's talking about somewhere in the middle of the outcome distribution at this point to be honest. Maybe a bit on the unlikely side, definitely not in the long tail.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Mutar posted:

i get depressed reading in detail can someone see if they mention how long they estimate the whole scenario 1 ->2->3 progression is likely to take?

Not that I see. But, → assuming worst case ←, #3 would start pre-2100.

With regards to #1, projections generally top out around 4.5C by 2100.

With regards to #2, they're using these feedbacks:

Some of those would be at least like 50 years out. But since #1 puts us at 4.5C by 2100 by itself, this can only serve to accelerate that.

With regards to #3, no idea. On geologic timescale, it counts as 'immediate.' But on human timescales, no idea.

Here's a great article about this: A World Without Clouds

quote:

To imagine 12 degrees of warming, think of crocodiles swimming in the Arctic and of the scorched, mostly lifeless equatorial regions during the PETM

Yeah, I really don't think the status quo is a good idea anymore.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Guys. Guys. Also, hypothetically, girls.

The near end of the mitigation curve is still attainable. Get Bernie and a majority in senate in 2020 and do untold WH40K violence on the superrich and a sustainable civilization with a recognizable quality of life could be realized. It sounds crazy to type out, and most of us are really lazy and complacent and greedy so the probability of it happening is really low, but it is technically one potential future path we could, with sufficient collective action, still take.

Yes. Even now.

Right at this moment yes.

For at least several many moments more this post is possibly still true 3/1-2X/201..9

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Personally, I'm looking forward to ramshackle, panic-driven geoengineering (which, as a field, doesn't even really exist yet).

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

The near end of the mitigation curve is still attainable.
get a load of this guy he's still hopeful

lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

listen buddy i'm just a gameshow host describing that one slice of the wheel of fortune that is only one peg wide and sandwiched by bankruptcy slices

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward to ramshackle, panic-driven geoengineering (which, as a field, doesn't even really exist yet).

we chosen few who watched the animatrix shall be like sages foretelling the future

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Homeless Friend posted:

we chosen few who watched the animatrix shall be like sages foretelling the future

yeah too bad our doom is stupid bullshit sun shades and iron tides of death instead of kick rear end nuke robots murdering us in our cities after we darken the skies.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah too bad our doom is stupid bullshit sun shades and iron tides of death instead of kick rear end nuke robots murdering us in our cities after we darken the skies.
look I've watched the Matrix and I know that shades make a dude about 5000% cooler

we can't give earth the full shades treatment, it's only got the one round thing to put a shade in front

but we can ensure our legacy is that this planet is the coolest in the universe

the only way for aliens to compete would be to add a black leather trenchcoat to their planet, but jokes on them they'll Venus themselves before they ever have enough cows and dye

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012

https://earther.gizmodo.com/how-will-we-know-the-world-is-ending-1830381869 posted:

The very question indicates that the world has already ended. Feelings of unreality or uncertainty are symptoms of trauma. When you’re in a car crash, you wonder whether it’s really happening… The pain of all kinds comes later. “Has global warming really started yet?” is a sign that it has already started, a bit like “I wonder when this acid is really going to kick in.”

Your intuition is correct: this is a nightmare. Isn’t that a relief and a fantastic challenge?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Accretionist posted:

yeah i roll coal so what

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

net work error posted:

I'm starting this thread of right by giving you how the libs imagination sees us fixing climate change by 2050.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...m_campaign=news

It's grim.
The part about more people moving into cities and expanding public transit is good though.

Why the gently caress would you move into the city?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

12C by 2100 is lunacy and is a hilariously rash extrapolation of a model showing stratocumulus dissipation as an eddy at local scale.

Things are obscenely bad but try to buoy yourselves to reality a bit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I still have the old thread bookmarked and keep opening it only to get owned over and over

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

12C by 2100 is lunacy and is a hilariously rash extrapolation of a model showing stratocumulus dissipation as an eddy at local scale.

Things are obscenely bad but try to buoy yourselves to reality a bit.

The loss of stratocumulus didn't happen at 12C, it happened at 4 - 5C with 1200 ppm CO2. The extra warming to 12C resulted from the loss of the clouds.

Extrapolating the model from 5 km by 5 km to the entire globe is obviously fraught with problems, not the least considering their model kept currents and wind patterns constant. The loss of cloud cover needs to be better modeled to improve predictions, but this does point to another feedback mechanism we weren't able to properly account for.

Here's a pdf of the actual paper if you want to read it.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Mar 12, 2019

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

CODChimera posted:

Why the gently caress would you move into the city?

Ideally the city is walkable and has decent public transport in the fantasy scenario and does more to curb emissions than some of the other fantasy in that article. Also didn't Marx like cities because they tend to cause Solidarity or something.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What if Monsanto GMOs up a tree that can grow in salt water and floats and we just chuck a billion seeds of that into the ocean and it sucks a bunch of carbon out of the atmosphere and then when it dies it sinks into the anaerobic part of the ocean where the carbon stays sequestered.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

The loss of stratocumulus didn't happen at 12C, it happened at 4 - 5C with 1200 ppm CO2. The extra warming to 12C resulted from the loss of the clouds.

Extrapolating the model from 5 km by 5 km to the entire globe is obviously fraught with problems, not the least considering their model kept currents and wind patterns constant. The loss of cloud cover needs to be better modeled to improve predictions, but this does point to another feedback mechanism we weren't able to properly account for.

Here's a pdf of the actual paper if you want to read it.

Having read the paper was one of the major motivators for me making my post. I'm interested in what real long tail outcomes look like, not roleplaying Guy McPherson.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

not roleplaying Guy McPherson.

i have unfortunate news re: the direction these threads always go

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

though tbf the only other direction it goes is the one that got the previous thread killed so uh

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Having read the paper was one of the major motivators for me making my post. I'm interested in what real long tail outcomes look like, not roleplaying Guy McPherson.

Whoops, I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't, I remember you linking or quoting other paywalled articles. Well it's in the post now for anyone else.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

+12 deg. C? jesus dont get greedy guys. +4 C is more than enough climate apocalypse for everyone

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Fallen Hamprince posted:

+12 deg. C? jesus dont get greedy guys. +4 C is more than enough climate apocalypse for everyone

Here in America we believe in the entrepreneurial spirit that will enable us to reach warming scenarios only dreamed of in the night terrors of climate scientists

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

Admiral Ray posted:

Whoops, I shouldn't have assumed you hadn't, I remember you linking or quoting other paywalled articles. Well it's in the post now for anyone else.

Word. It's a really good read and is a great example of the kind of localized chaotic phenomena that lower resolution global models cannot feasibly reproduce.

Atmospheric dynamics are definitely where the big lurking feedbacks may be. It's really hard to draw any conclusions about mesoscale behavior in previous climates and it's really hard to model in ways that we can generalize across time and space.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Good news!

Few pathways to an acceptable climate future without immediate action

quote:

A new comprehensive study of climate change has painted over 5 million pictures of humanity's potential future, and few foretell an Earth that has not severely warmed. But with immediate action and some luck, there are pathways to a tolerable climate future, according to a research team led by Tufts University.
The massive analysis shows that meeting that target is exceptionally difficult in all but the most optimistic climate scenarios. One pathway is to immediately and aggressively pursue carbon-neutral energy production by 2030 and hope that the atmosphere's sensitivity to carbon emissions is relatively low, according to the study. If climate sensitivity is not low, the window to a tolerable future narrows and in some scenarios, may already be closed.
:getin:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Rime posted:

They're poo poo. They have a useful lifespan of 25 years, the engineering flaws with them are massive and paradoxically getting worse, and after you factor in repeated major component replacement they almost never pay off the inherent carbon cost of manufacturing and running the fuckers. Nobody in the industry gives a flying gently caress beyond the paycheck, myself included. Nobody.

You're full of poo poo, both of these claims are extremely wrong. I have never seen a single study that has claimed anything even remotely over a year of energy or emission amortization for either on or offshore wind. After year 1 they run emission and energy surpluses, including all costs over the entire life cycle, including all maintenance and Replacements. What are you even talking about?

Also I Personally know at least two dozen people in the renewable industry, including a good number of wind engineers and planners, and they all care a good amount about the climate and do it for idealiological reasons. Myself included.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Son of Rodney posted:

You're full of poo poo, both of these claims are extremely wrong. I have never seen a single study that has claimed anything even remotely over a year of energy or emission amortization for either on or offshore wind. After year 1 they run emission and energy surpluses, including all costs over the entire life cycle, including all maintenance and Replacements. What are you even talking about?

Also I Personally know at least two dozen people in the renewable industry, including a good number of wind engineers and planners, and they all care a good amount about the climate and do it for idealiological reasons. Myself included.

That's cool, you're wrong. Ignorance must be bliss. :thumbsup:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Rime posted:

That's cool, you're wrong. Ignorance must be bliss. :thumbsup:

:psyduck:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

When the climate change comes I will make a raft of the bloated corpses of the people who laughed at the idea of climate change and i will sail the world seeking dry land susained by my sense of righteous self-satisfaction as I laugh at how wrong my boat was when it was alive

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

What is probably going on is that the world leaders are shape shifting dinosaur refugees from the stars (from earth originally) who are trying to terraform the earth to suit their purposes

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Dairy Days posted:

hmm good point have you considered throwing your internet devices away to get acclimated to it? just a thought

we must post as much as we can before the End of Posting

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

I'd put what he's talking about somewhere in the middle of the outcome distribution at this point to be honest. Maybe a bit on the unlikely side, definitely not in the long tail.

the tails are fat for most climate change stuff which really makes it difficult to take proactive action to deal with the effects

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

just consume less you utter americans