Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lost Time
Sep 28, 2012

All necessities, provided. All anxieties, tranquilized. All boredom, amused.

The Oldest Man posted:

People are going to be really mad when the first few cities get permanently destroyed/dehabitated by sea level rise and tidal or surge flooding and/or wet bulb mass death events and it finally enters that zeitgeist that a) we are truly, truly hosed - not in some future for our grand children by in the lifetime of millennials - and all these climate treaties and green initiatives have been pure marketing bullshit and b) this was all as predictable as pushing an egg off the kitchen counter and watching it break open on the floor.

Yeah, the truth is we're going to be broiling long before we even have to worry about which tipping points we're currently demolishing. How many record breaking fire seasons does Cali have left in it before even more people gtfo because they know the situation is hopeless? That's a question for today too, because we don't need the Arctic to go away, the Amazon turning into a savannah, or Thwaites Glacier melting away to have a really bad existential time.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/09/us/california-wildfires-drought-conditions/index.html

quote:

After the worst wildfire season ever in 2020, California is bracing for more destruction this year due to worsening drought conditions and above-normal temperatures.

"We had world record-breaking high temperatures in our own backyard in California... 130 degrees in our state," Governor Gavin Newsom said Thursday as he launched a $536 million funding package to boost fire prevention projects.
The outlook is already ominous as 91% of the state is suffering from drought and has reported consecutive dry months since last October, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor.

"Even record investments in this space are not enough to deal with the magnitude of that reality," Newsom said. "But yes, we need to do more on forest management and vegetation management."

According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, known as CAL FIRE, the fire season across the West has been starting earlier and ending later each year. The length of the fire season is estimated to have increased by 75 days across the Sierras and seems to correspond with an increase in the extent of forest fires across the state.
Overall, California is budgeting more than $1 billion toward wildfire prevention and preparedness efforts, Newsom said.

Western USA is going to burn down this season, and we'll probably be saying that every year for the rest of our lives. And that's in a country where the outlook is still a lot more favorable than a lot of other spots in the world that are worse already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

perepelki posted:

you can see why i've chosen to place bets on a surprising number of species surviving the death throes of humanity

simply put, they're smarter than we are. and the death throes are going to be both more intense but also a lot shorter than many people were predicting.

I'm sure a lot will survive, but populations sure are going to take a beating from people catching and eating anything they can get their hands on.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lost Time posted:

Western USA is going to burn down this season, and we'll probably be saying that every year for the rest of our lives. And that's in a country where the outlook is still a lot more favorable than a lot of other spots in the world that are worse already.

I think people will simply say "ah, well, nevertheless" to any amount of forest land or national parks or whatever - and small towns - burning down, as long as people can slap on a mask when they go outside to ignore the ashes and there's still a job to go to and the food continues to arrive in the grocery store and they can get drunk or smoke weed on the weekend, because, really, that's just life and if all that continues then life continues. For most people all the other poo poo is an entertainment program they see on TV.

But if cities are overrun with internal climate refugees from a couple major cities like Houston and Miami being depopulated in a matter of months, and food production starts to be disrupted, or the electricity browns out half the day, then those things that make up day to day life are going to start failing. I think that's when people are really going to get mad.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Oldest Man posted:

People are going to be really mad when the first few cities get permanently destroyed/dehabitated by sea level rise and tidal or surge flooding and/or wet bulb mass death events and it finally enters that zeitgeist that a) we are truly, truly hosed - not in some future for our grand children by in the lifetime of millennials - and all these climate treaties and green initiatives have been pure marketing bullshit and b) this was all as predictable as pushing an egg off the kitchen counter and watching it break open on the floor.

I can see it getting pretty spicy while the boomers are still around tbh.

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Xaris posted:

There may be physical mechanisms that we are yet to uncover that could help Climate Change stabilize and ‘doomsday’ may never come

thread title plz

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gods_Butthole posted:

I can see it getting pretty spicy while the boomers are still around tbh.

It's already getting spicy but I think we've probably got another few decades before "this city doesn't exist anymore" becomes the new normal.

But I've been wrong before!

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

The Oldest Man posted:

It's already getting spicy but I think we've probably got another few decades before "this city doesn't exist anymore" becomes the new normal.

But I've been wrong before!

You are more optimistic than me Oldest Man. I hope you are right, I think.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
What's going to happen is the cities in the rich countries will get giant sea walls, and in the poor countries they will be left to drown.

Occasionally, a sea wall will break and thousands of people will die

Oh and carbon emissions? More than ever!

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
Humanity? We’re just getting ... “warmed up!” (Cackles while lightning and thunder strike)

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's going to happen is the cities in the rich countries will get giant sea walls, and in the poor countries they will be left to drown.

i don't think the rich countries can build enough seawalls tbh

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

redleader posted:

We'll build sea walls and make poor countries pay for it

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

redleader posted:

lmao pretty much. there won't ever be any funding for sea walls in america because then it's acknowledging it's seriously instead of just greenwashing lipservice. the country (or states) will never go for a big sea wall. okay maybe manhattan. florida will never do it as chudslandia. san francisco is a penisula and lol at walling off the entire bay. seattle... eh maybe. still no, feds arent gunna fund any sort of that non-sense

prob netherlands and stuff will i guess

rich ppl will just live up far above sea level in mt cook or someshit.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

san francisco is a penisula and lol at walling off the entire bay

u just gotta wall off the golden gate

then build a canal through whichever part of the peninsula would impact the most poor people and build a giant statue of nancy pelosi so u can catch a glimpse of one of ur superiors as u drown when the wall fails due to a comical error where the contractors thought the blueprints said snails instead of nails

also the snails are poisonous because they were the cheapest kind of snail, so if the tsunami doesn't drown or crush u, or set you on fire while drowning and crushing you, the snails will finish the job

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

if you start building seawalls then you’ve implicitly accepted the logical conclusion of underwater domed cities

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
doomsday will not be skipped. at current pace domesday will be

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1380886631381630984?s=20

fire season looking promising

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=280yPTyei0U

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

covid has really shown us no one understands how to think exponentially. we've probably already activated a ton of feedback loops that just haven't manifested yet, so people are really gonna be in for a shock if during a particularly warm year or whatever a bunch of bad poo poo happens that's leads to irrevocable loss.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Xaris posted:

lmao pretty much. there won't ever be any funding for sea walls in america because then it's acknowledging it's seriously instead of just greenwashing lipservice. the country (or states) will never go for a big sea wall. okay maybe manhattan. florida will never do it as chudslandia. san francisco is a penisula and lol at walling off the entire bay. seattle... eh maybe. still no, feds arent gunna fund any sort of that non-sense

rich ppl will just live up far above sea level in mt cook or someshit.

i think we'll see both a combination of seawalls for the wealthy and just letting things flood. plus in general the people in the low lying flood prone areas are poor and the rich people live on the hill when possible.

but i completely believe in our ability to build seawalls without admitting its a serious problem.

like the plan to build seawalls to protect the oil refineries in texas lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

also shout out to Obama's illegally installed seawall in Hawaii that's ruining the local beaches

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Xaris posted:

There may be physical mechanisms that we are yet to uncover that could help Climate Change stabilize and ‘doomsday’ may never come

thread title plz

is it me or is irresponsible for that guy to say that in the article.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Stairmaster posted:

What are you talking about? Everything is going to be fine.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Personally I'm more interested in all of our coastal cables that are about to get submerged if big pieces of Thwaites just start collapsing into the ocean.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Xaris posted:

that just reminded me of a level in railroad tycoon 2 (or 3?) that takes place in the future and that's exactly what the dutch did and now you have to build a rail network there and to what remains of the rest of europe to make it all work. to get the gold medal you need to build a gigantic undersea tunnel all the way to what remains of the uk where there's the only sources of uranium on the map and import some of it. that was a fun scenario. maybe i should play that game again

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Stairmaster posted:

adding that disclaimer allows him to keep his job, sounds pretty responsible to me

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lost Time posted:

where/when was the 130 degree mark hit?

will this stuff every seriously affect some of the urban coastal areas, like Seattle, SF, etc.?

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Apr 10, 2021

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
If something as big as Thwaites slides into the ocean all at once, how long does it take for that rise in sea level to propagate? Days? Weeks? Hours?!

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

actionjackson posted:

will this stuff every seriously affect some of the urban coastal areas, like Seattle, SF, etc.?

wildfire can't burn a metropolis to the ground but suburbs are already getting torched and changing out your indoor HEPA filters is now a seasonal chore on the west coast. not sure what you're expecting here. the southwest is just going to get increasingly unpleasant to live in year over year.

Laterite posted:

adding that disclaimer allows him to keep his job, sounds pretty responsible to me

ya basically anyone who's been in the game more than a couple decades knows exactly where we're headed but your career is over the moment you engage with reality. we'll see world population nosediving by the billions and research will still be getting published talkin bout "the near term pathways available for avoiding catastrophic warming".

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

actionjackson posted:

Cities won't burn to the ground if that's what you're asking, but it's gonna affect a lot of big and small cities.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah actually rich countries will just let their poor suffer and die as they are doing right now while the actual rich - who have no national affiliation whatsoever in practice - gently caress off to their other house in the city that's not been turned into a pestilent swamp or overtaken by the starvation riots yet.

jetz0r posted:

Cities won't burn to the ground if that's what you're asking, but it's gonna affect a lot of big and small cities.

A lot of the basic infrastructure of places like SF and Seattle - like electricity generation and transmission, municipal water, etc. are reliant on areas that very much are going to burn down. Also, the cities themselves could experience significant direct fire damage once we get into "out of control firestorm" territory, although that's much less likely and will happen much later than simply ending up in the dark for weeks.

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Apr 10, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Xaris posted:

thread title plz

It's going to be a pogrom

Ecofascism will be the solution

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grapplejack posted:

Ecofascism will be the solution

AKA the status quo. :smith:

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Apr 10, 2021

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

actionjackson posted:

where/when was the 130 degree mark hit?

Death valley last August, but there were plenty of record highs across southern california including 120 degrees in orange county (which is crazy)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Hot Take: "Eco-Fascism," is actually just the status quo.

No it's going to be much worse. Imagine sterilization and genocide campaigns levied against south america / the middle east / southeast asia

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Grapplejack posted:

No it's going to be much worse. Imagine sterilization and genocide campaigns levied against south america / the middle east / southeast asia

No see our current ecofascism is fascism against the environment itself

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

You're just describing the status quo but moreso

E: I mean, literally, genocide by proxies has been a fixture of US imperial policy in SEA, the ME and South America for decades.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Wakko posted:

wildfire can't burn a metropolis to the ground but

well that sounds like a challenge to me