Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
they deliberately made people stupider but completely overshot it

there’s a point where the dumber people are the harder they are to control and that’s where the us is now- if the people were easily “controllable” they’d wear mask and lock down without issue. however they never removed the “you can’t tell me what to do” cornerstone of american philosophy

the objective was so the people would never upset the established order (they won’t deliberately) but it’s just resulted in a different dangerous unfocused energy that makes them unable or stupidly (but rightly) unwilling to support the states goals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Mola Yam posted:

people won't riot against the rich, there will just be unfocussed, easily marginalised unrest against governments. people will never come for the rich en masse.

i do think the police state will take a nice step up when we see our first tech bro lone wolf assassination, though. in roblox.

Yeah that's what the French and Russian aristocracies said too. Of course the Bezos class will just jet off to their New Zealand bunkers...or try to. Assuming all the people in that particular chain stay loyal. Probably depends at which point they try to jet off. But, the sub private jet owning 1%ers are going to be fair game. Even some of your dumbest Chud right wingers know they're getting hosed over. It's just their expression and conclusions of that information lands in fascism.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

there is a point where people will actually react, it'll just take a lot. But for example, if food becomes unaffordable, that is certainly a tipping point of sorts.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin
I personally think it's extremely naive to assume people are ever going to wake up and rebel. Even when ecological disasters start unfolding daily at their doorsteps it will just always be something that "we just have to deal with now" without ever making the connection that it's climate change caused by the rich. That there is someone responsible for the sky falling down on top of them.

Everyone is a closeted masochistic millionaire these days and Im not just talking about the US, unless you're extremely well read in political theory and science and know how these sorts of things pan out you're only part of turbo-online 0.0001% of the population or something, like this thread. A niche of a niche of a niche and functionally no better than the homeless man screaming about the end times on your way to work - even if that homeless man actually has a PhD in climatology and knows what the gently caress hes talking about.

For the majority of working class people these sorts of things require way too much personal investment and time to ever bother getting into the nitty gritty of it all, especially the majority of the middle/working-class across the world that deals with daily poo poo like bills and working 60 hour work weeks and scraping together enough dopamine at the end of each day to not kill themselves. Who gives a gently caress about climate change at that point when you're living that kind of life? Let it all end, gently caress it. Crank your AC up to max comfort level, buy as much meat as you want, enjoy it while it lasts and isolate your social circle from people who will rain poo poo on your parade by telling you your steaks aint ethical at your once-in-half-a-year BBQ gathering. I will bet my everything on the fact that this is the prevailing zeitgeist and always has been.

The rich will never be harmed because they're secretly (and openly) the idols of every society. Everyone wants the comfort and leisure afforded by endless money. It's "#goals", it's "personal hard work", it's "they earned it, just like I will! Any day now!". It's what everyone aspires to be, far more so than any king or dictator throughout history.

When and if society starts unraveling, the poor will eat each other.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
A good way to waste your money and live it up if you can't travel to the natural beauties or whatever is becoming a foodie. Eat new and exciting cheeses until you can't breathe (short term and long term).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

what's all this about methane

not that bad, yet?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

not that bad, yet?

Looks like everyone itt is gonna be a methhead soon

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

not that bad, yet?

nm, what's all this about methane with you?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mayor Dave posted:

Looks like everyone itt is gonna be a methhead soon

Way ahead of you my guy :okpos:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

When people can't afford food and water disappears bad things happen. Whether organized or not it's exceptionally naïve to think there will not be significant upheaval. It isn't about some sort of awakening it's the continued deterioration of material goods in an extremely obvious and impossible to ignore way. That the nebulous 'rich' will be able to escape this unharmed is fanciful....if only for the fact that 'Hey look that compound must be full of poo poo lets organize and raid it' sense.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/PaulEDawson/status/1389218191428132865?s=19

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Tony Tone posted:

I personally think it's extremely naive to assume people are ever going to wake up and rebel

The majority will definitely go fash but there's going to be enough crack pingers who decide to go out in a blaze of rich person murdering glory that it's going to be a thing.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shipon posted:

every time i read this thread i just feel anger at ted for not picking petroleum engineering departments instead of whatever CS people he could find

Didn't he just send bombs to people with Wood in their names

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

that’s it France, you’re in climate jail now!!!!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i tell people to eat me all the time whats the big idea here

e: also the reason they treat it like a sick joke is because they are trying to find you merely tasteless instead of worrying that you're unhinged.

despite his best efforts to assure them he will taste fine, yes

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

EvilJoven posted:

The majority will definitely go fash but there's going to be enough crack pingers who decide to go out in a blaze of rich person murdering glory that it's going to be a thing.

It's really too bad you cant steal from the rich anymore unless you're playing their game

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Wow, first Derek Chauvin and now France. Methinks 2021 is the year justice finally matters.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
to the few people itt jerking about 'getting' the rich lets do some basic math with the conclusions met on this page.
>People won't react until there's no food or water
>People start dropping in 3-7 days of thirst and starvation
>??
>People organize an effective raid on the rich people's fortified bunker; fortified as gently caress as I type this.
Where did I misunderstand

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Your supply of food and water can become noticeably more precarious and costly before you totally run out. This lengthens the starvation process. See any time a famine or drought has occurred and everyone in fact did not simply die in the span of a week.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sjs00 posted:

to the few people itt jerking about 'getting' the rich lets do some basic math with the conclusions met on this page.
>??
>People organize an effective raid on the rich people's fortified bunker; fortified as gently caress as I type this.

I think the word math tripped ya up

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Sjs00 posted:

>??

Core concept.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

a few months ago i read this thread continually for about 15 hours with no breaks

still about 12 years before the imperial core collapses right? has the timetable shifted recently?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

quote:

Paris' administrative court on Wednesday ordered the state to pay one euro ($1.20) for moral damage to each of the associations behind the lawsuit, ruling that government failures "undermined the collective interests defended by each of the applicant associations," the court said in its official communiqué on the case.
Despite only symbolic damages being awarded, the charities hailed the result.

lol

lmao

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Tungsten posted:

has the timetable shifted recently?
major powers around the world have, outta nowhere, really been making a lot of noise about methane

so... probably

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

major powers around the world have, outta nowhere, really been making a lot of noise about methane

so... probably

That's it's being mentioned at all is terror induced diarrhea scary

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Sjs00 posted:

>??

this might help op

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lugubrious posted:

Paris' administrative court on Wednesday ordered the state to pay one euro ($1.20) for moral damage to each of the associations behind the lawsuit, ruling that government failures "undermined the collective interests defended by each of the applicant associations," the court said in its official communiqué on the case. Despite only symbolic damages being awarded, the charities hailed the result.

excellent lib energy right here. we are fighting climate change because we used 70% recycled paper for the legal briefs for the symbolic case.

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
Biden is getting rid of HFCs. That's something: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/climate/EPA-HFCs-hydrofluorocarbons.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

rex rabidorum vires posted:

When people can't afford food and water disappears bad things happen. Whether organized or not it's exceptionally naïve to think there will not be significant upheaval. It isn't about some sort of awakening it's the continued deterioration of material goods in an extremely obvious and impossible to ignore way. That the nebulous 'rich' will be able to escape this unharmed is fanciful....if only for the fact that 'Hey look that compound must be full of poo poo lets organize and raid it' sense.

I just dont think food and water will ever run out across the developed world in a small enough time frame that would theoretically facilitate a revolution in whichever sense of that word you prefer.

Some areas are going to get hosed, then emergency measures will come and placate the populace of that particular area, until the next area is going to get hosed. Rinse and repeat a neverending cycle of half-measures and band aid fixes. Will more and more people lose faith in the system? Yes, but wanna know what's easier than storming a government building/compound protected by 200 cops? Going to your neighbor who lives alone down the road instead.

Its not like there will ever be a mass organized movement that takes care of your basic needs like food and water if poo poo already hit the fan, because if the government don't have it, chances are random civilians wont either. Its going to just be every man for himself. For a while I truly believed that a society based on mutual trust, cooperation and good will could exist despite the hellworld we inhabit but I now realize it's just a pipedream. Everyone is either a lonely social wreck, or an overprotective family man. The concerns of anything and anyone outside of the scope of your immediate friends and family is virtually nonexistent for the crushing majority of western population and Im sure someone who is better at words than me already articulated this point better with examples and evidence.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

EvilJoven posted:

Its kind of odd to me that in the current cyber age we live in there hasnt even been like a collective of black hats or something that just wants to wreck gov/corp poo poo ala Mr. Robot or whatever. You dont really need to go murder rich people in minecraft when we are surrounded by all this tech, tracking services and the internet of things etc. Im sure serious damage could be done all from the comfort of your home.

But I guess if you're into that kind of thing the better and more sane alternative is to just go work for the corporations instead

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Tungsten posted:

a few months ago i read this thread continually for about 15 hours with no breaks

still about 12 years before the imperial core collapses right? has the timetable shifted recently?

far right radicals stormed the capitol this year and the outgoing us president didn't understand germ theory. eviction moratoriums are the only thing preventing a homeless crisis of unprecedented scale and we are so deep in late capitalism the capitalists are losing business rather than raise wages.

you are living in the collapse of the imperial core my dude

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Tony Tone posted:

Its kind of odd to me that in the current cyber age we live in there hasnt even been like a collective of black hats or something that just wants to wreck gov/corp poo poo ala Mr. Robot or whatever. You dont really need to go murder rich people in minecraft when we are surrounded by all this tech, tracking services and the internet of things etc. Im sure serious damage could be done all from the comfort of your home.

But I guess if you're into that kind of thing the better and more sane alternative is to just go work for the corporations instead

whoops we just figured out why computer touchers get paid so much

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Wakko posted:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
turns out new zealand depends on the same ozone layer as the rest of the earth, and that bunkers are nicer to hide in voluntarily than they are to live in by necessity

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/drvolts/status/1389305062166458368

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Wakko posted:

far right radicals stormed the capitol this year and the outgoing us president didn't understand germ theory. eviction moratoriums are the only thing preventing a homeless crisis of unprecedented scale and we are so deep in late capitalism the capitalists are losing business rather than raise wages.

:doh: i always miss the forest for the trees

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
research actual real-world famines. by the time starvation sets in, people are too weakened to do any storming and plundering. they just die quietly at home and/or eat their own children

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Tungsten posted:

:doh: i always miss the forest for the trees

on this front, the price of lumber has doubled

edit: tripled

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
india is going to deforest itself instead of using mass graves

Adbot