Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Sjs00 posted:

I hope I never have to operate a hurdling ton of metal for any reason ever again I'll just walk

My car that I drive once a month now has a worn out bearing in the engine. I can either pay more than the car is worth to repair the engine, or I can sell it as junk. Either way I want to make it the last car I ever own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Ghost Cactus posted:

Do you have more quail pics, or do you post them in other threads? They’re great!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&userid=227353

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

Cheers!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
in 2007 i was playing star wars galaxies while complaining about the nge or playing battlefield 2/2142 in between going to community college classes, materially the only difference is my computer is better and my degree is worthless and also the temperature now reliably whips 40-50 degrees every 2 days

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

an annoying thing about maps is that they usually have political boundaries instead of just showing an entire area.
https://twitter.com/UWCIMSS/status/1389919296780972032
seems like lots of people are respectfully celebrating mexico today, lets check in
https://twitter.com/jscarto/status/1389702835403624451
https://twitter.com/augustpeztutu/status/1389753727884660736
https://twitter.com/webcamsdemexico/status/1389399378851373057
https://twitter.com/tonyo_hernandez/status/1389261920193089539

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand
thank you! i invite everybody to admire the flock of tiny fat elves that terrorise me on a daily basis

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NY has like a monsoon season practically at this point.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2798.msg307815.html#msg307815 posted:

It is the fifth of a new month and therfore the latest monthly average of global CH4 is available:

January 2021: 1893.4 ppb
January 2020: 1873.4 ppb
January 2011: 1801.1 ppb
Last updated: May 05, 2021

This is the highest value of methane in modern human history.
The annual increase has reached 20.0 ppb. This is the highest annual increase since monthly averages are available (1984) and it is more than twice of the 10y average increase rate (9.2 ppb/a). An increase from December to January has happened only three times (1985, 1986 and 2010). Usually January is about 1 ppb below December. This shows how abnormal the "methane explosion" is.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

:yeshaha:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
time to halt the climate change discourse for a full year as people say "methane?? i thought i had to be scared of carbon dioxide???"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

fart planet.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Will you dumb libs ever make up your mind? First global cooling, then global warming, now climate change, first it was carbon dioxide, then it was the ozone, then it was carbon dioxide again, now it's methane?

You guys need to conserve some political talking points if you ever want to make a profit difference :smugbert:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

I was waiting for the data. nice. just as good as i expected

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Tony Tone posted:

Not really.

Generally the more invested you are in your car, the more anxious and afraid you are of driving. I drive a shitbox 1999 Mazda Lantis and I couldnt give less of a gently caress while driving. Truck scratching the side of my car? Dont care. Some dumbfuck bumping me while parking? Dont care.
One bonus of driving a shitbox beater with mismatched bumper is that actually everyone gives you a wide berth and drives way more cautious around you.

But it's largely not the car that matters, its that it still sucks.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I stare at the methane numbers and mumble regression to mean to myself and try to imagine it not hitting 2000 ppb in 2025

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
We're so so hosed

https://twitter.com/CAL_FIRE/status/1389988548296671234

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

in one year more than twice the 10 year average increase rate

it's beautiful

it's like art

it's accelerationism

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that seems bad

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mdemone posted:

I think I had a stroke while reading this sentence.
Holy poo poo, so loving :same:.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Give me the BOE

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mobute/status/1390020757682630666

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

nah it'll go back down

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mayor Dave posted:

Give me the BOE

Arctic sea ice has been meandering sideways-ish on the graph since mid-April, somewhat strangely. last couple weeks have been a sharp drop though.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Homeless Friend posted:

nah it'll go back down

well i suppose at some point there won't be anything left to burn so that's technically correct

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

mdemone posted:

Arctic sea ice has been meandering sideways-ish on the graph since mid-April, somewhat strangely. last couple weeks have been a sharp drop though.

Winds inducing transpolar drift are very strong right now, and they are pushing central pack ice out toward the Atlantic margin in the Barents. This is importing newer ice into the central pack from the Siberian edge near the East Siberian and Laptev Seas.

So extent appears to mostly be flatlining or maybe even going up because ice is spreading out. But that ice is mostly old ice going to its death at the margins while weaker ice goes in to replace it. Not a great setup for a melt season, but it's not the whole story (snowpack cover describes more of the variance in terms of predicting a melt season).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Homeless Friend posted:

nah it'll go back down

Yeup.

Fun Widget: Climate Analogs, or, click a city and see the present-day equivalent to its 2080-projection.

Deserts don't burn.Types of Desert:

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 23:36 on May 5, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

my brain is so loving broken that I started playing the Sears AC commercial in my head when I saw this. Yeah you know the one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Good. If you've had a kid in the last 10 (20 I'd say) years, you made a very big and very grave error

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Accretionist posted:

Deserts don't burn.

hahaha yes they loving do

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

hahaha yes they loving do

What's there to burn smart guy, the SAND???

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Glass the desert I guess.

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Thump! posted:

mostly invasive grasses

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Thump! posted:

Haha, right? What is that guy talking about?

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

This just means there's less stuff to burn later on this year. This graph is a good thing!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

T-Paine posted:

Good. If you've had a kid in the last 10 (20 I'd say) years, you made a very big and very grave error

oh man not this topic again

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

T-Paine posted:

T-Paine is posting again, wow. Im glad that at least some political prisoners have been released

stellers bae
Feb 10, 2021

by Hand Knit

Accretionist posted:

Yeup.

Fun Widget: Climate Analogs, or, click a city and see the present-day equivalent to its 2080-projection.

Deserts don't burn.

More ammo for the Olympic Peninsula/WA Islands right here. Oh no, Sequim and Oak Harbor will be like... Seattle!!

lmao at Portland tho

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

T-Paine posted:

apologies to the folks who've had children recently but I wake up every morning and sigh with relief that I didn't bring another life into this world

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

hermosillo is loving awesome, suck it climateailures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Crazypoops posted:

apologies to the folks who've had children recently but I wake up every morning and sigh with relief that I didn't bring another life into this world

:same: