Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

God Hole posted:

So on Friday I got together with a bunch of kids and youth workers in my tiny Ukrainian village and we did some superficial cleanup on a local pond (pulled bottles and trash out of it) and planted 15 trees and 10 bushes. Yeah, it’s a drop in the ocean, but we’ve been riding high an ecological mindfulness wave recently and hopefully this will have been an empowering experience for the kids and get them a little more invested in the ecological health of their community.

(sorry my phone camera sucks, I dropped it in a puddle recently)

Not sure how informed you guys are about Eastern Europe but at least in Ukraine, recycling hasn’t really taken off yet. About 6 months ago we used the funds from a grant we had received to buy large yellow containers for each of the three schools in our community for the purposes of collecting plastic. We formalized an agreement with a local plastic refinery plant to sell our loads of plastic to them when the containers fill up, they’d even come and pick it up themselves.

Seeing as this was a youth-led initiative, we were expecting the kids to keep the program alive at the very least and deposit their plastic when convenient while at school, but we were not expecting to see it take off like this. People in the local community now go out of their way to come to the schools to dispose of their plastic bottles, meaning we’re selling to the plant much faster than we expected. The water here is bad, so everyone buys clean water in huge 5-10 liter jugs from the store that immediately get tossed in the landfill when finished. Now they’re being sustainably recycled and a revenue stream of $50-$100 a month has been introduced to each school’s budget. A not-insignificant amount.

Additionally, our local government has taken notice and decided to donate glass/paper/battery and compost collection containers as well. We’re hoping the surrounding communities take notice and take on similar initiatives.

The total monetary cost to buy those containers and kick this whole thing off? Less than $200. I didn’t invest much time in this at all either. If climate change is getting you down, take a detour on your way home and check if your local school or community center has a recycling bin. Keep your eyes peeled for vacant lots that could potentially host a new row of trees. Is there a dirty river bank that’s been getting you down for a while? With ten people you could clean it up in an afternoon.

Seriously, if you approach a school director or the head of scouts troop, local church, whatever with a rough outline of a clean-up day or a tree planting day, they will jump on it. Local botanical stores would kill for some good press associated with donating a couple saplings to a youth group as well. A little work up front creates a lot of good faith for follow through. If people are given an opportunity, however small, to do some good, they’ll do it. Create the opportunity.

this is a good post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
After the Dragonflies
WS Merwin

Dragonflies were as common as sunlight
hovering in their own days
backward forward and sideways
as though they were memory
now there are grown-ups hurrying
who never saw one
and do not know what they
are not seeing
the veins in a dragonfly’s wings
were made of light
the veins in the leaves knew them
and the flowing rivers
the dragonflies came out of the color of water
knowing their own way
when we appeared in their eyes
we were strangers
they took their light with them when they went
there will be no one to remember us

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Loling at remembering my avatar. Haven't posted for years, must have pissed someone in the bad forum off by saying something controversial like maybe we shouldn't dump pesticides that kill bees all over the crops.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

kraken! posted:

:lol: we aren't even close to assessing those questions at my level, I'm having a hard enough time telling my classmates that any CCU/CCS process operated by companies based on incentives is just a handout to the rich for what will inevitably the worst solution. The main waste generated by the process I'm looking at is monoethanolamine, which is pretty non-toxic and a pretty standard way of concentrating CO2. Making gigatons of PET is not a good way to sequester carbon, just the result of a bunch of decisions being made for me.

Funny thing about MEA and solvent based carbon capture... Solvent based capture is the only industrially proven technology, and MEA is the reference solvent because it actually works. It's been around for 100 years. There are newer generation solvents that improve on MEA marginally, but in any case a carbon capture unit at a power plant is going to reduce power output by 30 percent or so from what I've heard. Why? Look up the heat of reaction between MEA and CO2 - it's huge. Absorbing the CO2 is easy. Getting it out of the solvent so you can store it and recirculate the solvent? That takes an incredible amount of energy. CCS is technically possible right now. We know how to do everything. It is just a question of policy. Which means, obviously, we are hosed.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Truga posted:

fat chance, op

When I saw this the other day I felt like someone punched me in the stomach. Still do.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
To clarify, it feels worst than the time a bully sucker punched me in 7th grade and I bawled my eyes out.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Can't bawl now, of course, even though the planet is dying. I've got important grown up work to do!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Lol at a loving grad student who thinks he has all the answers. Oh a grad student on a full ride, I mean (as if there's any other kind in stem). Just loving insufferable. I don't even know what this lovely argument is about I just want my daily doom mainline. Jfc

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

I understand the need to aggressively advocate for more nuclear power. It's just that we got into this mess through a disregard for science and inability to make hard and unpopular choices, so now we need to solve it through a disregard for science and inability to make hard unpopular choices.

What about the Halliburton scientists who figured out fracking? I think their science was pretty highly regarded.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

met some new friends tonight who strongly recommended doing something starting with "c" and ending with "ne". i'm almost 40 and have never touched anything stronger than a joint my whole life but climate extinction makes me wonder if perhaps i should just say gently caress it and enjoy poo poo that i never would have touched otherwise. if we're doomed ASAP, might as well go out with some pleasure

what are your thoughts wise goons

Don't mix it with alcohol it's bad for your heart.

Other than that go for it. Why not.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Strikes me as kind of silly to make a big deal about food transport being a problem for veganism as if meat eaters don't also eat vegetables transported from faraway places.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I have nothing to back this up but there's just no way people used to eat as much meat in the past before refrigerators and supermarkets. I find the idea that current meat consumption rates are somehow natural except in like, Eskimo communities, completely absurd. People used to eat way less meat and they ought to again. loving lol at crying over a vegan eating quinoa as if people don't serve quinoa as a side to steaks from cows fattened on soy grown in what used to be the Amazon rainforest.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

no one is crying about vegans eating quinoas, whatever that is, the point was that you personally not eating meat doesn't stop brazilian fascists from burning the amazon for pasture land

I eat meat (not very much) but anyway yes they are. Ron Paul atreides argument is literally that quinoa supply chain is bad, scroll up.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

uhh... it does tho?

along with all other supply chains under capitalism, which includes everything you eat whether you personally are vegan or not. so um, this quinoa stuff that i've never personally actually seen in my stores, i assume because it's too expensive to ship to finland from whereever to get the local vegans to buy, is simply the most obvious expample of a supply chain creating more harm than it could ever solve lve

Except Ron Paul's quinoa bullshit is a total red herring because there is no vegan oath that requires you to eat quinoa. And lol at pretending you don't know what quinoa is as if they don't sell it at DM you goon.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

German drug store there are 3 within walking distance from my place, I guess they didn't get to Finland yet.

But I can literally also buy quinoa at like most corner stores here as well. Are you guys seriously still eating nothing but pine bark and pickled herring?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
How do you get momentum to pass those laws if no one is even willing to bother doing it on a personal basis?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Well duh there's no solution, we're going to burn every drop of oil we can until the oceans are completely dead. Everyone knows it. But whining about how people who take individual action are dumb is the most goony "well actshully" bullshit I can imagine.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I literally had to scroll up and make sure I wasn't in D&D. Can you idiots shut up? By the way Kurnugia, vitamín d supplementation might help your cum piss problem.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Kurnugia posted:

heres my dinner btw

Haha no way that rules

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
It's me, the guy unwilling to stop eating burgers every day for lunch and dinner until there's a drat collective to join!

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Like if you really believe that meaningful collective action against climate change is possible (its not, we're hosed then why not start implementing the necessary changes in your life right now? They're mostly better for you anyways.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

why do people always state these hypotheticals as if we want to live

Never underestimate the human will to survive even in the most horryfing conditions imaginable.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

baw posted:

like you said that switching from red meat means everyone will eat avocados or quinoa and all the alternatives are equally bad. which is false by just about any way you want to quantify "bad"

Nope lentils don't exist it's either beef or quinoa harvested by peruvian children who now have to subsist off of crickets because they can no longer afford quinoa.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

the difference is so tiny that it might as well have. a law banning industrial production of beef, on the other hand, might have an impact. however, it's harder to argue for such a law if your position is "i have already done this and so should you and, indeed, everyone" rather than "we should stop eating beef together"

So like no one can stop eating meat until everyone agrees to di it together? Wow great idea I bet baw sure feels like a bozo now.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
It's been said before but it's crazy to think we're waiting for some insane climate change related catastrophe. I'm pretty sure climate change feels real as gently caress if you're drinking from a toilet in a concentration camp after having your baby ripped from your arms by fascists after migrating because corn, which your ancestors literally created, doesn't grow anymore in your home country.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Blockade posted:

I was watching Chernobyl with some of my born rich lib friends, one of them said "can you believe the ugly tiny concrete apartments communists would make the poor live in?".

That pretty much ended a friendship.

apartments in the show:

I've said this before in cspam but it was mind blowing for me to go into an apartment in an old communist block for the first time. The outside was decrepit but inside there was as much warmth and life as any other home I'd ever been to. Outside the garden was carefully tended by grandmas and old men made sauerkraut and butchered pigs in the garages. There was a much stronger feeling of community and belonging than I've ever felt anywhere in the US. I'd take living in a block over mowing a lawn in suburbia any day of the week. And that was all still after capitalism destroyed their country.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Also those apartment blocks, if in a large city, almost certainly are in walking distance to a tram. How many Americans can afford housing within walking distance to light rail?

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I guess my single point of reference led me to believe that living next to a light rail stop was way better for property values than it really is.

Well nevertheless,

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Although you guys are talking about pretty big cities, whereas in many ex Soviet countries trams aren't uncommon in small or medium cities of only a few 100,000.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
I saw a documentary on Netflix a few years back about cyclist commuters and apparently LA at one point had a huge wooden boardwalk that acted as a highway for cyclists but the car industry destroyed it and you can still find traces of it in the alleys behind people's houses and stuff.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

succ posted:

Go to any middle class home and the AC never leaves 68. Now imagine explaining to them their lifestyle is unsustainable.

poo poo like this makes me want to weep until I realize that I actually lust for the death of all humans.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

What is "the brink"? What magical transformative thing happens once we cross it?

Well we all pass the brink at different times. There's a lot of Hondurans sitting in concentration camps in Texas who passed the brink a while ago.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Sister of a friend moved to Qatar recently and when I protested that it was dumb as poo poo and probably a death sentence their answer was it's okay because everything is air conditioned there.

I had to go to Dubai once for work and it was literally hell on earth. My hotels entrance was basically an American style interstate off ramp, but also every street was basically built like an American interstate and walking anywhere was impossible. I didn't interact with a single Emirati, they all walked around like some demigods in their flowing white robes. At least there were a lot of chill Indians and therefore good food.

Idk what Qatar is like but I can't imagine it's too different.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Sing Along posted:

same for the survivors of dorian in the bahamas and, as is often cited, the population of syria. there are also a lot of people in india who are likely wistfully looking back at the brink

You won't know you've passed the brink until you do, and after you pass it none of the unpassed will really care.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
One time on a business trip in Denver I was heading back to my hotel after work. It was 5 o'clock and the crosswalk was packed with people heading home. A pathetic looking skinny woman was screaming "HELP ME! PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!" She dropped to her knees then let herself fall prostrate just absolutely loving bawling with misery. Not a single person looked directly at her. The little white man appeared on the crosswalk sign and I crossed the street with fifty other people leaving her all alone.

Welp good luck Bahama people lol

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

We're talking about a planetary brink not a personal one. Where's the planetary brink? What happens?

Losing an entire country (Syria) is hardly personal.

We're already there, buddy. Its person by person, village by village, city by city.

Planetary? Pretty sure the rock we live on will keep being a rock for a while.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
If your definition of the brink is earth being a prokaryotic soup, I'd suggest you change it. Global fascism and genocide coinciding with the destruction of nature (all advancing rapidly literally right now) is good enough for me.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Hey glad you finally figured out the point, there is no brink only a very large sliding scale of despair that we can affect.

A different dude brought up the word brink, but anyway it doesn't matter. Guess we agree that any useful definition of brink is one we have already passed.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

some people use that argument unironically too

yeah Buddhism rules. impermanence? hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Now there's a guy in the thread in the bad forum saying that the politics leading to a ban on meat scare him more than climate change lol