Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

u_s_eh posted:

First Reformed had been on my list for awhile but finally got around to it thanks to CSPAM

everyone here should see it lol

I just watched it tonight and it completely flubbed the denouement :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

for most of it it's pretty much this thread: the movie

actually for all of it lol

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

is being a skeleton as fun as i think it will be

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
aren't those wraiths

:goonsay:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the last of us was a documentary

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

What's the absolutely most pessimistic fiction work that's grounded in reality anyway?

cormac mccarthy's the road

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
still thinkin' about how first reformed would have been a better movie for the moment if toller had finished the job and blew the gently caress out of balq and the rest of those attendees, collateral damage be damned

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
between the CA wildfires and the ones burning in the I70 canyon, Colorado front range's air quality is some of the worst I've experienced. every morning everything is covered in fine ash and going outside by midmorning its incredibly difficult to get a good breath. the dogs don't even want to go out.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

enjoy that saltwater aquifer, Florida

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

mdemone posted:

ok fine I'll elaborate just a bit. I have a paper coming out about this so it's been on my mind last few years.

Earth got really jacked up at least twice during its history, turning into "snowball Earth" and basically freezing solid. about 2 billion years ago, and then again about 600-800 million years ago. biologists already know where I'm going with this. after/coincident with the first snowball Earth event, the Great Oxygenation occurred and radically changed the biosphere, huge biodiversity explosion, etc.

after/coincident with the second snowball Earth event, the Cambrian explosion of animal life happened, and the rest is more well-known history.

okay so that's a pretty cool story: mass extinctions because of planet-wide climate events, leads to evolutionary explosions right afterwards, hey how neat.

but why did those snowball Earth events happen?

we could go into more details about how they couldn't have been caused by local planetary conditions, it just doesn't make sense. the long-standing assumption has been that the snowball Earth epochs were kicked off by extraterrestrial conditions.

you need the atmosphere to darken as though the solar constant were suddenly reduced by at least 10-20%, we are talking about a negative radiative forcing that really only could happen if the solar system went hauling rear end through a giant dust cloud that was moving real fast with respect to us (again there is a lot of radiative physics behind the theory that this is the only way to do it, but that's not very relevant unless somebody wants some citations).

there isn't enough star formation happening right now in the Milky Way for it to be reasonable that a thick dust cloud could interact with the solar system. (okay I'm being glib here, the actual simulations say that you need multiple such passages within certain timescales like 10 million years or whatever).

but that's *right now* in the Milky Way.

anyone want to guess what was happening to the Milky Way about 2 billion years ago and then again about 700 million years ago?

next post as I get drunker.........

edit: the perfect snipe

this is cool AF, plz post more

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
imagining now what those sunrises, sunsets, northern lights and meteor showers must have looked like on pre-snowball earth as it approached and passed through this massive dust cloud :stwoon:

I'm sure it'd be breathtaking :grin:

extending the thought more, imagine the number of micrometeoroids and other potential impacts to Earth while passing through a cloud that dense. surely another avenue for panspermia if there ever was one right? or at least seeding the primordial planet with genetic material and amino acids. maybe even tardigrades!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I was going to say Devs haha

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
well, we determined this mosquito -filled swamp was bottom dollar and removed it oops we collapsed the ecosystem

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm in the 55deg drop in 12hr firesnow death zone in CO, ama

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It was 97 yesterday. Its 35 and snowing now!

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

teubo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
crabs gonna rule imo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/judyfutah/statu...ingawful.com%2F

seems extremely bad

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
gonna die under snow this weekend yall

https://mobile.twitter.com/JimCantore/status/1369271367456219146

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
my favorite part of climate change is getting ALL of our winter precipitation in ONE storm!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
is being a posadist itt considered gauche