Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Buying a bottle of champagne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

*Biblical plague hits*

Ha-ha-haaa, it's protein!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Agreed, it's totally outrageous that she takes a lovely two-week ride on a fossil-free boat without comforts instead of flying, what a terrible person she is. Autistic, too!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Chuka Umana posted:

She's promoting minor lifestyle changes as helping the climate.

drat, what a loving upper middle-class BITCH.

I could've sworn she went in front of all the world leaders last year and basically told them all to get hosed, that things were going to change whether they liked it or not.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

vyelkin posted:

the only difference is she's also a really prominent public figure and the right absolutely loves attacking her and trying to find any trace of hypocrisy in her actions that they could use to discredit her and the entire climate crisis movement, so it actually is absolutely imperative that she do things like avoid flying so that they can't pull out the Al Gore/Leonardo DiCaprio line and say "look what a hypocrite telling us we need to restructure our entire civilization while still enjoying all the carbon-emitting benefits of our civilization like flying everywhere to attend protests"

People are already doing that, the comments sections are bursting with idiots who only read "yacht" in the headline and assume she's going on a luxury cruise, not eating dried food on a racing boat with zero amenities for two weeks. Also, she's mentally ill and a literal child who should be in school.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What if... we used the sand to build giant glass domes.

Edit: :lol:, no wait, it's subterranean

quote:

Sand to be used as bedding for pipes, cables and other underground infrastructure.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Aug 2, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is this what they call emerging markets :thunk:

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Aug 2, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shima Honnou posted:

And on the other side of the world but also with weather that isn't supposed to happen

https://twitter.com/stephengrenfel1/status/1160605617838366721

Well there you go, it froze over.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Taintrunner posted:

hey remember that country we loving demolished in 2003? how’s that going you ask?

More like cradle of uncivilisation.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

succ posted:

why didnt the guy that stabbed bolsonaro not bring a loving gun

We already knew God gives poor instructions.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Crusader posted:

capitalism is a murder-suicide pact

Fixed.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

StabbinHobo posted:

for the record i'm pro-nuke, i would rather bernies plan have had nukes in it, BUT i live in loving reality and i recognize that the only chance we have of getting nukes is throwing several trillion dollars at the other stuff and then IF we truly cannot build a dynamic demand/response management overlay between the internet and the grid then fine we build some nuke plants to shore it up.

It takes something like five years to build a nuclear plant if it stays on schedule.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rewatching Utopia a couple of years on sure was a trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIKu0pQVJFE

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://i.imgur.com/VRep0GR.mp4

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1168854991152566276

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This guy goes into some detail on how hosed we are and when, but the video was recorded in 2018 and the timetables seem to have moved up by a lot, so you know, lol.

Also I posted it for my politically conscious friends on FB and the only reaction it got was a tittybot responding with ":D". lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzQsjuzr3_M

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Oxxidation posted:

different kind of cognitive issues, and we're still not at the CO2 saturation point where mental function is impaired

What if you also factor in everyone huffing lead for nearly a century?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Poor homo sapiens, impaired its own cognitive functions and died.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

lmao

https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4698/9/1/26

quote:

Although wealth inequality has many established negatives, this study investigates a potential positive, unprecedented wealth concentration makes it possible for solutions to large and seemingly intractable problems to be deployed by convincing a relatively small number of individuals to invest. In order to probe this potential outcome of inequality, this study quantifies the number of people necessary to radically reduce the greenhouse gas emissions responsible for global climate destabilization from the U.S. electric grid, which is one of the largest sources of emissions. Specifically, this study determined that 1544 GW of solar photovoltaic (PV) technology must be deployed to eliminate the use of fossil fuels on the U.S. electric grid, if PV is conservatively deployed as a function of population density. The results showed that only 79 American multi-billionaires would need to invest in PV. This investment would still leave each investor with a billion dollars of liquid assets as well as substantial long-term profits from PV. The analysis also concluded that 79 people is a conservative upper estimate of those that would need to be convinced of the usefulness of moving to a solar U.S. grid and that this estimate is likely to decrease further in the future.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Blockade posted:

Didn't the FBI try to honeypot some young anarchist dudes with an attractive woman who gave them money and advice on building bombs but the guys just used the money for pot and hung around smoking and watching cartoons with the FBI lady for months?

That was a good use of tax dollars.

drat, how do I get in on this racket?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What a shame, we should be able to leave behind a tomb world as warning to a more intelligent species in the unlikely event they happen by our stale brown dot.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hand it all over to the corvids, IMO.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I was just reminded of this.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Funky See Funky Do posted:

What the context for that? Photoshop thread?

:lol: Guess again.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I know exquisite misanthropy is all the rage here but I really hope human civilization survives and emerges better.

humans are pretty cool.

I was pretty miserable all day from the new projections and eventually caught myself, started thinking the same thing, maybe we aren't that stupid after all and will find a solution before it's too late. Then the news came on and there was a five minute segment about a veterinary hospital that had hired a dog telepath.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

comedyblissoption posted:

i've basically never ever seen american media talk about climate change using fahrenheit which is what almost all americans use as a point of reference for temperature and i am 100% sure this is intentional

It's the Mars Climate Orbiter all over again, except with humanity.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Turtlicious posted:

I mean only half the world is uninhabitable in a 7c world. Only half the world is so hot that sweating wouldn't save you.

I imagine "inhabitable" would include producing food, pretty sure that goes out the window for way more than half the world around 4C.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I looked up the dog telepath lady and apparently her skills aren't limited to dogs or the living. A few years back, during a seance at a church, she convinced a former horse owner that her horse was in horsey heaven, scolding her for being in financial trouble that forced her to sell it to a dude who had it put down.

Blockade posted:

Why would they be? In the year of our lord 2019, more people believe in ghosts than climate change.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/only-38-americans-believe-humans-mainly-responsible-climate-change

We just need to convince them that dinosaur ghosts are responsible. I know just the person for that task!

Shima Honnou posted:

It owns that if it were being done by aliens, whether legal (space) or illegal (not-space), the entire earth would have banded together with a rousing speech and fought back and a crazy old guy would save the day, but since it's being done by hubris and the golden cow that can do no wrong called capitalism we just have to deal with probably killing everything more complex than an amoeba lmao

The segment of right-wing populists who reluctantly acknowledge climate change are already busy convincing their followers the reason is Africans having too many children and cooking with wood-burning stoves.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 20:45 on Sep 18, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

SuccBot Circlejerk posted:

Look at any history book.

lmao

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Some of you are rooting for the robots and that's totally fine and understandable, but personally I've decided to throw my lot with the aliens that are apparently real now and have been brought to light by that guy from Blink-182.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

porfiria posted:

What if the aliens are robots?

:hmmyes:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

vyelkin posted:

wow good thing india elected modi to fix that problem

He has plenty of experience with genocide at least.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

In my country, XR blocked entry to a McDonald's in the hopes that McDonald's would hopefully source their beef from somewhere that didn't destroy the rainforest. They were immediately assaulted by people desperate for overpriced garbage burgers.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kindest Forums User posted:

Maybe there'll be a worldwide revolution in the next few years.

lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

D.Ork Bimboolean posted:

I'm thinking going for cybernetic singular accelerationism and bringing skynet online.

Yeah, about that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKYNET_(surveillance_program)

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

It's almost as if a system that encourages and rewards sociopathic behavior was a bad idea.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49773869

quote:

[G]lobal temperatures have risen by 1.1 degrees C since 1850, the paper notes they have gone up by 0.2C between 2011 and 2015.

[...]

The average rate of rise since 1993 until now is 3.2mm per year. However, from May 2014 to 2019 the rise has increased to 5mm per year. The 10-year period from 2007-2016 saw an average of about 4mm per year.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

dream9!bed!! posted:

Surely one of these economic models realizes that gains are better over the medium to long term if society and a habitable earth exist? Were we always doomed to be killed by selfish monsters (I know, I know)?

The same models that say unemployment is good for the economy because rational actors will accept lower wages thus allowing job creators to hire more people? No, they don't.

I recently read an interview with an economics professor from the Danish Technical University who thought we just needed to incentivise Eastern Europe to drop coal in favour of ~green jobs~ thus fixing the climate forever, and also that her grandchildren would enjoy greater material wealth than her own generation. The crux of her argument was that it would be bad to limit commercial flights because interacting with other cultures was good for personal growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kinda loving with my head realising that Fallout was too optimistic on both the timetable and end results.

How do we get Ron Perlman to make this all feel a little better?