Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol yeah that post was smug as gently caress

It was intended to be. "Dismantle capitalism" is the right answer, but I was feeling like being an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Complications posted:

Unpossible. If we make highways big enough traffic jams won't happen which will drive up fuel efficiency which means less emissions!

Stack highways on top of highways.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, I think the non-cynical take on the push to return to the office is that a ton of people thrive in those environments and it's upsetting/inconceivable for them to imagine that maybe a whole lot of other people were just barely tolerating the situation and only because it was expected and required. Probably plenty of people never even realized it was having a negative impact on their mental health until they didn't have to do it anymore.

Not having to worry every day about carving out a space for yourself mentally at work every day is a huge mental health boon for introverts. Extroverts generally don't have to think about that so the change was likely more jarring.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

The city is also literally built on garbage dumped into the rivers and the mass infilling of marshes and dumping raw sewage into every outlet possible.

The only thing that matters is what developers want. "New Yorkers don't retreat."

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Hubbert posted:

urban planning in a nutshell

Sucks. Make more planners read The Real Estate State and curl up into a ball and die because capitalism rules everything around me.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I need to engage with it in more detail, but that paper is equal parts compelling and horrifying.

Any time I engage with climate change in detail though I'm just overwhelmed by existential dread and hopelessness and end up retreating into things like buses and trains. It's all so frivolous by comparison and I really don't know what to do.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've been saying for a few years now that the only solution is depopulation and i've been called a malthusian idiot for it when it just seemed like simple physics to me, so it's nice to get validation.

There are plenty of people that have a hard time understanding the difference between explaining a solution and lusting for the death of billions.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

apatheticman posted:

Life is a lot like that feeling when you have to poop but nothing comes out.

What does eating more fiber symbolize?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

There's an entrepreneur currently working on an innovative solution to the blood machine which will return .0001% of the drained blood to the tophat man as we speak! And it has an app!

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

The blood machine must be destroyed. That's the only way out.

Destroying the blood machine now would be unfair to those who already had their blood drained before.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Oh look, I also saw this episode on my kids morning TV cartoons. My kids are gonna be incredibly climate aware! To bad by the time they have are old enough to control the levers of power the world will already be dead.

Train them to run their respective tribe's climate dome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Egg Moron posted:

A canticle for leibowitz is a great read