Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Protagonist posted:

The near end of the mitigation curve is still attainable.
get a load of this guy he's still hopeful

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

yeah too bad our doom is stupid bullshit sun shades and iron tides of death instead of kick rear end nuke robots murdering us in our cities after we darken the skies.
look I've watched the Matrix and I know that shades make a dude about 5000% cooler

we can't give earth the full shades treatment, it's only got the one round thing to put a shade in front

but we can ensure our legacy is that this planet is the coolest in the universe

the only way for aliens to compete would be to add a black leather trenchcoat to their planet, but jokes on them they'll Venus themselves before they ever have enough cows and dye

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

EvilJoven posted:

poo poo like this makes me wonder if one should put stock in maltheism.
No, you put your stock in natural gas, that's the next big energy thing after the coal plants shut down

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Insanite posted:

ridiculous doomsaying

refugees won’t be able to handle the work volumes we’ll have

we’ll draft them into a “migrant work opportunity program” wherein they assemble robot bees

make ten thousand trillion bees barehanded

get a green card

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Amazing takes I've enjoyed reading from elsewhere that I'm sure will also draw a smile from everybody here:

Losing 95% of insects by biomass is no big deal, they aren't going extinct after all there's just fewer of them

Climate change doesn't cause extinctions and shouldn't be worried about, animals just move to places they can inhabit while others move into those newly available spaces

We can't lower our farming output under any circumstances because it'll cause poor people to starve; food waste is unavoidable and as good as it can get anyway

Soil depletion is no big deal since soil manufacturing exists - that'll just scale up naturally as it's needed, and distributing it won't be an unsolvable problem anyway

Further growth and industrialization will naturally be mitigated by increasing efficiencies in greenhouse gas production

And of course my favorite - melting glaciers, drying rivers, and depleting aquifers aren't a problem since nuclear power plants, desalination plants, and pipelines for moving fresh water inland have decades yet to be built before it's a major problem

Thus the world is saved and nothing need be changed infinite capitalism forever hooray

we're all gonna die and it's gonna be funny as hell

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Kobayashi posted:

Do these takes come from people you know, or online?
Little of column A, little of column B.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Bullfrog posted:

Not to turn this into an E/N thread, but I've been having a lot of anxiety about death lately, and I wonder if knowing all this about climate change is making it worse.

I'm counting on this relationship of fear to change as time goes on
Think of it this way - you were dead for give or take 14 billion years before you were born. It didn't seem to matter much to me or anybody I've ever met. It'll be fine.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

California becoming a state known for its tornados in addition to the earthquakes and fires is gonna be the best thing ever

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Lokar posted:

cool now that the #russiagate poo poo is done
You seem to be very new to the american political scene. It's going to be wall to wall Russiagate and House circuses until the primaries start heating up (Democrats remember Benghazi yo). Then it will be wall to wall primaries. Then wall to wall election horseracing. Spring 2021 for a pivot at the soonest.

jk lol it's gonna be nazi/antifa clusterfuck time then

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gonna have to do something about plants delivering less nutrition with high CO2 levels, too.

Admiral Ray posted:

just read an article about nematodes living 2 miles down in some mine shaft eating biofilms and living their dream. if those dumb worms can do it, why can't we?
But did the worms have wifi and air conditioning though

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rastor posted:

Indoor farming is an existing and rapidly growing industry. The forces of capitalism would not be pursuing that if they didn't see it as feasible and potentially profitable.

So there is a disconnect there somewhere.
It's simple. Taking a hint from the oil industry, they've got plans to externalize more of the costs. If it's not red ink on the business balance sheet it doesn't exist.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

General Dog posted:

And the Sun is going to pay for it
Solar energy is the next nonsolution that's liable to get dragged out as long as possible (lol energy storage), so the sun is definitely gonna put a down payment on it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

CODChimera posted:

do we still have at least 10 more years of 'good times' or has our doom been sped up or averted(lol)?
We've got a good couple of decades before the first world has to start really caring, and the USA can definitely be fine for a bit after that because lol geography. Anybody over 20 can basically live the good life. Anybody under 20 is probably going to see the doom in their twilight years. Anybody born in 20 years is hosed in ways that only tentacles can express.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Telephones posted:

gods mad!!!!
clearly this is because of all the gay marriage

if we only roll back our social mores 200 years god will surely smile

wait that didn't help? poo poo

maybe we should've listened to the scientists after all

too late now though

best to just keep burning the oil and making numbers go up

- neolibs 2050

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

judging people's worthiness to be asylumed by credit score and social media profile

that seems about right yes

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Scientists: We need to cut back emissions immediately, and go negative as fast as possible

Corporations: That sounds dumb. Let's launch a shitload of satellites and make space billboards instead.

Yup

quote:

“Orbital billboards are the revolution on the market of communications. That’s why on behalf of Adrenaline Rush — PepsiCo Russia energy non-alcoholic drink, which is brand innovator, and supports everything new, and non-standard — we agreed on this partnership.”

“We are ruled by brands and events,” project leader Vlad Sitnikov told Futurism at the time. “The Super Bowl, Coca Cola, Brexit, the Olympics, Mercedes, FIFA, Supreme and the Mexican wall. The economy is the blood system of society. Entertainment and advertising are at its heart.”
beep boop numbers go up all is well

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Poniard posted:

*peeks in to cspam* wow! those leftists sure are crazy

lol go read guillitine.txt

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

don't worry I'm sure that rather than addressing the situation of growth our brave capitalists will aim for arcologies instead

who really likes nature anyway

hippies, that's who

don't be a smelly hippie kids, be a captain of industry

yes that won't work but everybody with power will be dead by the time it fails :shrug:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

we've got until 2030 for major reductions because it's all in human emissions and individual action combined with awareness campaigns will easily be enough right

surely we have time left

"having a kid is what gives me hope for the future, even when environmental catastrophe is keeping me up at night—that it has to work out, because she's here"

"it has to work out"

lmao

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Two big conferences at the end of 2020, huh? Be a real shame if a US veto annihilated that UN treaty wouldn't it? I wonder who's in office ----oh.

It's okay, I'm sure we'll have another chance. It's not like it'll be a problem for several decades anyway, so what's the rush? I'm sure there's nothing at all that might change that optimistic estimate.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

What I find interesting is that the news is all reporting this as "the strongest cyclone in 20 years." Which is accurate. However they leave out that the one 20 years ago was the strongest ever recorded cyclone in the North Indian Ocean. It's just framed as if "oh well these happen like this every once in a while" not as "these storms are getting stronger and more frequent globally."
Well, yes, this is normal.

Numbers went up, you see.

It's nature adapting to capitalism as all things should.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

The cool thing about being poor and low class is I already knew I would never retire, but thanks to climate change, I also don't have to work until my 70s, because either I'll be dead already or society will have collapsed way before then!
Don't worry, if society collapses you'll still be working. Lord Humungus always needs more axel greasers; deserts are nasty to undercarriages don'tcha know and the benefits are to suffer for.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

double nine posted:

what are the bottlenecks for creating large-scale azola production? I'm assuming lack of interest and fresh water shortage, and maybe unsolved question what to do with the dead plants, but I might be missing stuff?
How do you make money off of it?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

Birds are the same here, native species, Gila woodpeckers, common sparrows, Gambel's Quail, Western Mockingjay's, grackles and the like.

But the insects, well, yeah, I've seen 3 butterflies of any species in 6 months, like, 5 bees of any species in the same time frame and not much else but flies and mosquitoes. Also, the plants are growing weird, and annual vegetable plants are WAY off in their growling cycles.

But yeah, it's probably always like this, just a normal thing, no big.
It's a scientific fact that climate change doesn't help or hurt any species don'tcha know. If the climate changes, everything just migrates a bit and the food web reshuffles a little. There's no climate change attributable losses going on at all, changes in things like insect biomass or species extinctions are solely down to things like pesticide farming and expanding cities and fishing. Sure, things'll look a bit different after the temperature changes, but there's no reason to worry about the ecosystem nature works itself out.

[/middle management]

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

vyelkin posted:

in other news a dude dove farther down in the marianas trench than anyone has ever done before and found plastic waste

our garbage has explored more of the planet than we have
we're poisoning species we've never even conceived let alone met, truly we are the emperors of earth

quote:

Do you understand the true power of a sovereign? A raw man must kill with his bare hands. The battered warrior, a weapon. The commander, his bellowing voice, the conspirator, a whispered word. But all these pale compared to kingship. A true sovereign need not flex a single muscle in his body, and a hundred men die. A true sovereign may murder without a single impulse, or even intent, sight, breath, or even thought of his murder. He is an idiot indifferent to his own violence. He has sublimed the act of obliteration.

That is the meaning of kingship.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

There are folks who think that migrating animals will just adapt to migrate through human constructs - like birds taking advantage of cleaned water storage lakes near cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxPdPpi5W4o&t=323s

quote:

Once we deployed these balls, all the birds were gone.

collateral damage lmao

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

squirrelzipper posted:

I was reading that thread last night, doesn’t that range put us squarely in irrevocably hosed territory?
yes

yes it does

lmao

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rime posted:

‘Extraordinary thinning’ of ice sheets revealed deep inside Antarctica

quote:

A complete loss of the West Antarctic ice sheet would drive global sea levels up by about five metres, drowning coastal cities around the world. The current losses are doubling every decade, the scientists said, and sea level rise are now running at the extreme end of projections made just a few years ago.
Exponential curves are awesome and I'm stoked that we're gonna see one on the scale of a planet.

I say one, but I'm also pretty sure that this is the tip of the iceberg and we'll see a lot more.

this owns

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

baw posted:

i hope the the children of republicans are cognizant enough to hate their parents when they grow up
the libs were just too partisan and divisive and had to be owned

the cost was high

but their civic duty was done

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Zeno-25 posted:

What's the best way to get into HAM radio for someone that's currently on the tech level of being able to build a PC? I don't know crap about electromagnetism but I love tech and the idea of being able to subvert whatever info blackout comes down the line in future climate chaos fascism is appealing.
Any government worth a drat can triangulate a radio signal trivially. The only reason 'pirate' radio stations even exist is because relevant government agencies are at best half assed on cracking down on them, and underfunded for the role besides. If you want to subvert the man, I'd advise doing something that doesn't literally broadcast your position to everybody listening within hundreds of miles.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

weather forecasting is going to be set back decades because the radio frequency used to detect atmospheric water vapor is too close to the one being auctioned off by the FCC for 5G wireless

https://twitter.com/housetrotter/status/1131315615313141765

our posts will outlive us
Can't prove the weather is changing if the weather instruments don't work, guess we can't really know anything for sure about the weather now

checkmate libs

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Xaris posted:

if people could stop eating so loving much and just trawl catching everything they can get their webs on. of course now everything powered by fuel guzzling barges and poo poo and destroying wholesale aquatic life.
Between sonar, lure systems, and some decent depth control on the nets trawl and general dragnet catching was obsolete decades ago for the purpose of catching something specific. It'd be very expensive to put the more precise systems in place though, and the efficiency gains from snagging less trash wouldn't offset the loss to shareholder value.

trawling and dragnets are more profitable, y'see, so nothing can be done

it's all just economic reality

practically physics, that

can't be helped

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

dream9!bed!! posted:

Shut the gently caress up AoF.

In other news, this thread on the Arctic Sea Ice forum is fun. I've never seen such dramatic language being used (in some posts towards the bottom referencing the ECMWF forecast): https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,2591.1000.html
that thread rules, thank you

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Shima Honnou posted:

I haven't seen a mantis in probably 10 years and we used to get them a fair amount. Fireflies I haven't seen any yet this year and we had some breeding out here just last year. I have seen like two butterflies but that's all, no moths yet. No crickets either and they're usually common. It's unusually devoid of insect life so far this year and I can't tell if it's just because of the hosed up climate change winter where we got like 12 start-stop winters or if it's because they're all gone extinct now.
The fireflies are absolutely dying. This article's from 2016 but lays out why.

quote:

The causes, however, appear to be clearer: a combination of habitat degradation and loss, light pollution, destruction of water tables, and pesticides, Pfeiffer said.

The insects play a role in human health as well. Two of the enzymes fireflies use to create their bioluminescent flashes—luciferin and luciferase—are used to track the growth of cancer tumors, among other things. Fireflies have also been used to help detect bacteria in food products.

Lee-Mäder said he suspects that decades of overzealous collection by the medical industry may have contributed to fireflies’ decline. Pharmaceutical companies used to pay bounties of up to a penny per firefly to collect their chemicals for biomedical use. The pharmaceutical company Sigma Chemical Company collected up to 1 million fireflies a year and sold the chemicals for about $260 an ounce, according to a 1975 report in the Milwaukee Journal.

A 2013 study published in Ecological Modeling found that some firefly populations failed when medical harvest rates exceeded 60 percent.
I'll let the harvest rate of >60% of the population figure just stand there

Somebody's quarterly report was really great

Pity about the next quarter

:capitalism:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

AceOfFlames posted:

What makes any of you think you will survive? Why does everyone think they will be Immortan Joe and not one of the many skulls littered around?
I'm not

I'm also not worried about being dead that much; I was dead for 14 billion years before birth frankly that hasn't done a drat thing to me

Dying is gonna suck though

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Wakko posted:

some good news from early info coming out of the next IPCC report

New Report Warns Planet May Be Warming Twice as Fast as Expected
Numbers went up, and are going up more quickly than ever? Capitalism working as intended! Good work all, bonuses all around, see you in seven years.
Numbers going down? Totally unaccountable statistical anomaly. Bonuses all around, and we'll workshop improving next quarter.

Complications has issued a correction as of 18:41 on May 29, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Apparently if you plant corn in along with a kind of bean you can actually achieve a crop that replenishes the soil, but it's impossible to have a machine harvest both at once so it's never going to happen. I don't remember the details but it's not just that our plants suck but the methods we use to plant and harvest them are garbage.

It's infuriating because literally the only reason it "won't work" is that modern corn is engineered to be picked by a specific machine and having three plants all tangled up makes harvesting it via industrial machines almost impossible. Apparently corn in the past had the cobs all over but now it's grown to have them near the top to make it easier for machines to pick. Easier/cheaper to just ruin the earth forever for short term profits!!
Also the milpa system is two years on and eight off to be fallow. Good luck pitching that in the era of industry.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Telephones posted:

This is all happening too slow. COME ON, I want mass death!!!
Syria isn't enough for you?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I wouldn't bank on this at all, it's unlikely we won't get another depression (or "recession") before 2030 (should be half a decade sooner than that at the latest and it's probably tomorrow) that when compounded by climate change will early-release Mad Max (in select cities) (don't think only Global South either). I'm still not at all convinced that one degree warming is as bad as IPCC and relevant bodies think, it's much worse and we're starting to notice it this year (stay tuned!).

Should I buy an RV? Strap some solar panels on it? Or war boys?
In terms of survival? Best bet if you're not on the guillotine list is to get yourself an essential government job, since those kinds of people can hide behind fucktons of guns and resources. In terms of maximizing enjoyment, an RV and touring everywhere you can go is good. In terms of not being an rear end, you can probably do similar things that an RV can with a hybrid car or the like if you're willing to be less comfortable. Boats are dumb as gently caress unless you're going on a world tour or something in which case yeah go nuts but you'll want something else for survival.

We're all going down regardless, the only question is time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So it's going to be business as usual and we're not going to get a massive climate mobilization until 2049.
It it hurts the corporations economy it's alarmist and unfounded and unneccesary and impractical and too expensive.

what I'm saying is that there never will be a mobilization