Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Verus posted:

i distinctly remember you being a horrible poster, but now you are a good poster. I'm proud of you.

quote:

and compared to trump, that’s still true.
getting there but still not completely over the lib brain worms.

E: gently caress you new page.

June 19th and the mainland US has already had 13 deaths from tropical storms, with another 11-17 expected this season.

really looking forward to the atlantic continuing to heat up

Harik has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Jun 28, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

LionArcher posted:

which is why I’ve said Biden is better than trump. still terrible, not going to save us, but if nothing else the tension level from friends family partners has drastically gone down since Biden took office. let’s keep things as pleasant as possible as we watch civilization collapse.

lol.

(sweating because I live in Oregon and it is already almost a 100 here).

loving lol at this

if trump didn't exist the market-libs would have had to invent him. all he did was take the heat for the destruction they have been working on for decades.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

perepelki posted:

anybody itt who had a berry crop devastated by the heat dome should be looking for the berries that didn't get completely ruined, and saving those seeds; that's the beginning of their heat-tolerant heirloom line.
that's not remotely how genetics work.
the "qq but mexico nationalized their oil company" talking point came out so fast it must have been an emergency workshop by exxon-mobil.

Harik has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Jul 4, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Mola Yam posted:

THATS A BIG loving TIRE DUMP

holy poo poo

edit: lol it's even on fire in the google maps photo from god knows when:

is it just always on fire

not really that big, you can see the bare ground. The ones in the US are piled up en enormous pyramids of waste. It also means if anyone cared here they could just bulldoze the tires away in a ring around the fire and let it burn itself out.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

mediaphage posted:

they dig big holes and fill them, though, so i'm not sure you can use this as a means of guestimation. i think the satellite scale is also probably throwing people off. it's a fuckton of tires either way:

that seems like a lot of work just to make the tire graveyard slightly less unsightly, unless they're using the material dug out for something else.

i have a hard time caring because the only thing that happens with used tires is they get burned, aside from a microscopic fraction that get turned into playground material or mixed with asphalt.

the us mostly got rid of their enormous tire piles by feeding them into furnaces.

it's been around 150 years and nobody's figured out how to devulcanize rubber, or reform vucanized rubber into a new tire.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

mawarannahr posted:

the grapes metaphor is a little too awkward to name the book after it imo. heavy for the vintage?? the more people post that passage the more i wonder if the book would have sold better with a sensible title.

people got so mad about it steinbeck moved out west to live on a boat for years to write a book about the marine life.

it used to be non-fiction but now he might as well have documented mermaids and unicorns

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

fabergay egg posted:

industrial chemistry may have put the world on the path of destruction, but at least we're can use it to figure out how to recycle our garbage while everything falls apart?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0921344918300636

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acsomega.9b01424

https://weibold.com/introduction-to-end-of-life-rubber-devulcanization
i did do the research before i posted and it amounts to "lol, lmao". every few years someone promises to invent a way to devucanize and every few years it peters out because it's more costly than using one-handed slave labor in the belgan congo to get virgin rubber.

it'll 100% get adopted if someone cracks the code because used tires are essentially free but in 150 years of research on the topic nobody has yet.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Whitenoise Poster posted:

completely forgetting that those companies are providing products that the middle and poor classes will pull you apart with their bare hands if you do much as reduce thire access to these comforts by a half of a percent.

now this is utter bullshit. covid and the supply chain breakdown have made tons of consumer goods scarce, where's the deadly riots and lynch mobs? nobody seems to give one single poo poo that our store shelves are half empty and there's no way to buy everything on your list when you go grocery shopping - even if you had infinite money poo poo's just not available.

the rabid frenzy for the last gucchi is entirely made up.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Real hurthling! posted:

the people that would riot are killing each other for pokemon cards , society is safe
the people doing that are the wanna-be capitalists. same with designer sneakers or graphics cards: people with a few extra bucks in their pocket and the burning desire to turn that into an arbitrage opportunity.

consumers aren't ripping each other apart for dumb trinkets, they're grumbling and buying them at inflated prices.

meanwhile, at the grocery store

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I'm still riding that 21st century buzz and the myriad elements of that lifestyle won't all blink out of existence at once but will quietly step away one by one like guests leaving a lovely party without offending the host.

very much this.

E: I'm not saying "eggs don't exist anymore", I'm saying that the breakdown of society is accelerating and it's blatantly evident in day-to-day life. You either have to hit a few stores or go shopping a few times in a week to get everything, there's signs saying "we're out and don't know when it will be restocked", prices have shot up significantly. but you can still eat (for now)

Harik has issued a correction as of 06:45 on Aug 12, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Shipon posted:

People have gone loving insane in the past year and a half, in case you haven't noticed.
about a lot of things, yes. like evil government making them do anything they don't want to, mostly. Not so much at the corporations letting produce rot rather than sell it without the Approved Packaging™

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

lol as soon as i saw that i thought of this thread and here it is. that's gotta be a 20 minute duct-tape and polish job to get it back to tip-top shape, right?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rime posted:

Nah, that's roughly $350,000 going poof. There's no coming back from that one, RIP 20,000 lbs of fiberglass. :haw:

that's just doomer talk i watch youtube videos of people doing fiberglass repair and this casual media consumption gives me authority to explain over actual experts in the field, as it does for every subject

e: another view of the same incident here

Harik has issued a correction as of 03:12 on Aug 31, 2021

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Rime posted:

If renewables must necessarily be rebuilt, en-masse, every half century, how will that be achieved if we commit to zero fossil fuel emissions and a 100% renewable grid. As an aside, every time I bring up the regular rebuilding of renewables facilities as an issue, and somebody points out that "well nuclear and hydro need regular maintenance!" - I just assume they are an idiot because we clearly don't rebuild major hydroelectric facilities from the ground up every forty years.
Yes, we do. The same parts that are rebuilt on wind are rebuilt that often and for the same reason. Turbines have fixed lifespan and debris-laden water flowing through them at high speed causes corrosion. The dam itself also needs maintenance or you have what's technically known as a "whoopsiedoodle" and scour clean all traces of civilization downstream. Just because you don't have to re-pour a million tons of concrete every few decades doesn't mean hydro is a set-it-and-forget it technology.

At some point we're mining scrapyards for materials, not raw ores, so there's a finite limit to the amount of material needed for energy generation. It's cheaper under capitalism to externalize the costs and use slave labor to produce raw material and throw everything into a hole when it's outlived its usefulness, but that's not inherent to the production itself.

Rime posted:

It's not about raw "producing the power which went into building and maintaining it" but about the form which the power generated takes. Physics is a bitch, electricity =/= "energy" as it applies to all applications. See the other quote about how RE sources cannot generate the manufacturing conditions necessary to build more of themselves, let alone while also powering civilization.

arc furnace smelting exists and RE has enormous and predictable surplus periods where generation has to be idled. The non-aligned usage/production cycles will only get larger as the transition to RE continues and there's only so much you can do with battery tech. Dumping that 'waste' energy into high-energy processes (desalinization, electric smelting) makes sense.

It's one of those "we could absolutely do this thing, but we won't because capitalism"

Harik has issued a correction as of 10:39 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Tubgoat posted:

That REALLY sounds like perjury, kidnapping, false imprisonment and malicious prosecution (among myriad other criminal acts).

So, wait, if you, a private citizen, have lawyers on retainer, YOU CAN JUST ORDER COPS TO KIDNAP ANYONE YOU WANT REGARDLESS OF SURFACE LEGALITY!?

lol at thinking we were a nation of 'laws'. we're a nation of force and post-facto justifications and the reason this mock trial isn't national news is the same billionaires running it own all the media.