Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

lentils are great when added to a curry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

different lentil varieties cook differently, as well

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

little caesars is loving disgusting and I love it

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Rime posted:

Fools such as yourself are the reason the progressive left has fractured into a dozen shards, each bent on consuming the other in pursuit of ideological superiority.
is this an appropriate case of

turn on your monitor

cause I've never really caught on. in any case, lmbo

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

hobbesmaster posted:

hosed up distribution of pay aside, inefficient storage isn't exactly a capitalism only problem. Command economies from internal company allocation of resources to the USSR definitely have/had the same issues with warehousing and shipping things every which way.
Maybe there just isn't an answer, and it's all hosed???

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

hey! everything’s coming up roses!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/05/us/chris-cline-dead.html

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wrong thread

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Read Aurora in a few days, bought New York 2140, thanks for book discussion climate death anticipators

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

IAMKOREA posted:

So I'm a petite bougeous fucker. And I made a pledge to not fly for poo poo except as required by my petit bougeous job and to see my Mama once a year. And it's a long loving flight across the Atlantic. Other than that I eat meat in less than 5 meals a week and take public transit to work. I'm doing my part.

But thanks to Profesorka Shakova, I don't worry anymore! Not about poo poo! The world could literally end at anytime, and almost certainly will within this century! Don't just listen to Prof Shakova, just ask her colleague Igor - who has spent more time in the field than her! Igor thinks it will all fall down tomorrow.

Shakova explains it all:
https://youtu.be/kx1Jxk6kjbQ

Cool

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

actionjackson posted:

Some cities in Australia going to be 50 C apparently
When, like 2060 or something

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Seems bad

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

StabbinHobo posted:

src: https://www.ipcc.ch/sr15/graphics/

people who liked Figure 1 may also like Figures 3a and 3b

It’s adorable

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Profit

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

redleader posted:

luckily the fires aren't burning in south australia (afaik?). it'd be impossible for firefighters to go outside to fight them in that heat
He said nervously

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

‘American Canopy’ by Eric Rutkow is a really great book about the history of forests and how they have been used in the United States.

Timber as a resource is has been dwarfed only by oil/natural gas as far as the resource wealth it has generated.

Railroads ALONE were consuming about 2 billion board feet of wood a year by 1880. That doesn’t include, as already mentioned, the enormous and historic fires caused by trains themselves, and fires caused by the hastily built lumber towns across the Midwest and South.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

is there a climatological explanation for why it’s been so relatively cool in NYC lately

jet stream lower than usual? which I assume means something bad elsewhere

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

silicone thrills posted:

That was a let down to us all. We also should have seen the signs. His language was always wishy washy about everything. He never committed to poo poo.
I also volunteered on that campaign and learned alot of important lessons. Like gently caress the center.
all of this

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

at 11C, horseshoe theory kicks in and everything ends up okay

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I mean if you think everything was okay in like 1750 or whatever

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol 2100 you need to be focused on if things are gonna be okay in 2030

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

consume, for soon there shall be none

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

dude humans have always faced big crises and we always found a solution. people far more intelligent than you or I are working on this problem as we speak
"What a relief," I say as I watch the safety video featuring the old white man CEO of Delta Airlines

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

just live on a treadmill that moves at lightspeed

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Is that weird community of people outside of Taos still around, living on the land that is in legal limbo following a sweepstakes in the 50s

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Waking up to a NYC metro Tropical Storm warning for tomorrow afternoon. Surely not Isias, coming up all the way from the Carolinas without breaking apart...?

Oh. OHHHH :stare:

yeah dog, it's hot outside

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Direct action is not synonymous with terrorism you dopes.

depends on the body bringing charges

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

fauna posted:

i liked the deep adaptation paper so i joined the facebook group, but it's kind of an exercise in frustration. lots of lovely, very sweet upper-middle-class white people going "we took up cycling and started a backyard garden!", lots of yoga and relaxation exercises. a few people are planting trees. occasionally someone will suggest we cut down on our fossil fuels, or mention we should look to indigenous cultures for sustainable farming techniques, but without really sharing any information or specifying any concrete course of action. the group's probably doing a lot of good psychologically for its members, and i don't begrudge them that at all, but given it's basically a fan club for the most realistic (doom) climate collapse paper published so far, i was hoping there'd be something at least a bit groundbreaking or unusual going on. maybe positive thinking just isn't my thing.

i've signed up for an online graduate diploma in project management. part of it will presumably be defining one's own project and writing it up, so i'll be making use of it to get my broadacre habitat restoration techniques down into a coherent, workable format. in the meantime i'll also be getting myself into another twelve thousand dollars of student debt, but gently caress it. luckily in australia you don't have to start paying it back until you earn $45,000 per annum, and i will never earn that much.

where i go from there is still all up in the air. by the time i have something usable, we'll be another two years down the road, two years' worth of runaway damage. and the hardest part is actually getting the land, because land is a commodity and it is so hard to convince people that it's worth more rehabilitated than just left as scoured dying paddock. even if it's just sitting there and they've never planted anything on it, the landholders always have the idea in the back of their mind that they might plant something on it someday, so i have to fight against their fantasy estimate of what the land could be worth. which never takes climate change into account, because the people who own all the degraded farmland are the same ones who think global heating doesn't exist.

gently caress it lol

it’s basically Berkeley, CA.txt

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

none of this is gonna go well for anyone

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dex_sda posted:

Why, are things looking bad?
it's just a feeling, probably nothing

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Saki posted:

I think a big issue is +3C by 2050 doesn't really freak out laypeople. Like it doesn't sound that bad to them.

see this is what i'm saying

just don't feel good about this!!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

time to start fuckin' i guess

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I’ll be surprised if it last that long

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Mameluke posted:

the problem with the left isn't that nobody is organized. the problem is that the solution to climate change is nakedly obvious, and is often attempted by individuals, but anybody trying to implement it gets the full weight of the state brought down on them
you'll find this is the case with the solutions to many of our biggest problems

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

a lil' bit of lead never hurt anyone
makes the water taste INCREDIBLE

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

yeah I don’t eat poo poo that comes out of the ocean

I’m sure I have plenty of plastic in me, but gently caress eating anything in that giant dead toilet

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

dry heat, could be humid, could be worse

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

SplitSoul posted:

Soooo... that BOE is not happening in 2035, is it?
oh most definitely

but it'll also happen way before then too

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

so how likely is communism to occur elsewhere in the universe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it’s so hot in here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol where’s the video where he brags about making the US the largest oil exporter