Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Problem description: Recently had my computer start presenting a black screen after a couple of hours of being powered up, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between load and the crash, though it normally happens after a couple of hours.. The computer would continue running 'underneath' the black screen just fine, but the GPU wouldn't output anything on either of its DisplayPorts, and unplugging/replugging the DP cable did nothing. I was able to take a screenshot of what the computer thought it was outputting and came up with these two errors.

So I ran the usual gamut of tests including Intels CPU tester, MemTest and ChkDsk just to be certain. All passed fine.

I logged the computer a few times with HWinfo64 and when it crashes all the GPU stats more or less freeze up, the power draw hangs at a set wattage, the load doesn't change etc etc. One of the log files can be seen below, crash occurs at 11:52:18, row 1535.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fcJJr7lYhFHTehofDfpoHO5kwKm4A26o

The card is currently under warranty, as is the mobo, so I've taken the card back to the supplier, who've said they can't replicate the issue. I'm currently studying and can't really afford to take my entire machine in just for them to take two weeks and $70 to check it over so I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue before and if so what do they think is causing it.

Attempted fixes:
Swapped out driver sets (clean install each time)
Run various diagnostics on CPU, RAM and SSD.
Re-seated the GPU
Taken the GPU in for warranty service

Recent changes: None on the hardware end.

--

Operating system: Win7 64bit sp1.

System specs:

CPU: i7-6700k CPU
MEM: 16GB RAM
MOBO: Gigabyte: GA-Z170N-G5 Rev 1.0
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970, (GV-N970TTOC-4GD)
PSU Corsair RM650i 650W

Please note that Australian customer service is extremely slow so I'd prefer to do as much work as I can on site than take it back to the store.

Thanks very much guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd run DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1490 and then try installing the latest GPU drivers again.

If that doesn't help then make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS:
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170N-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Should have mentioned. I've done both already.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

XTimmy posted:

Should have mentioned. I've done both already.

How old is the PSU?

Some other things to try in whatever order is most convenient:

-Try DVI or HDMI cable if possible.
-Try different DP cable/different monitor.
-Upgrading to W10.

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
I'm getting the card back and will have it over the weekend so I'll give the easier of those two a shot.

PSU is less than three years old.
Thanks for your help by the way. You're way more helpful than the store techs.