Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Nobody ever believes me or they just ignore me but Ultimate Warrior and Haku had a really awesome match once I think on a Saturday morning thingy, way back. They just stiffed the balls off each other and it was really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Nobody ever believes me or they just ignore me but Ultimate Warrior and Haku had a really awesome match once I think on a Saturday morning thingy, way back. They just stiffed the balls off each other and it was really fun.

If you can find it, please do post it. That sounds pretty rad.

I want to just thank everyone so far for their contributions and also honoring the spirit of the thread. Y'all know I like positivity and people respecting each other and just sharing in joy and I'm so happy to preside over a thread that encourages that and that people are taking to it. :)

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 13, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

I started watching wrestling in early 2005 and this is one of the first matches I remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKxYoFzAjg
Shelton Benjamin v Shawn Michaels [I] (RAW; May 2, 2005) This match is far from perfect but it is one of my favorites.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Peanut President posted:

I started watching wrestling in early 2005 and this is one of the first matches I remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKxYoFzAjg
Shelton Benjamin v Shawn Michaels [I] (RAW; May 2, 2005) This match is far from perfect but it is one of my favorites.

The ending of this is still one of my favorite things ever.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I would like to submit Asuka vs. Emma, NXT TakeOver London

Tenille Dashwood's WWE career was ... weird to say the least, but this is easily her high water mark. Coming off a fresh heel turn and going up against the recently debuted Asuka, this is the best Emma has ever looked in that company, trading stiff offense and going toe-to-toe with the former Kana (who herself was feeling it, opening up her offense more after mostly squashing jobbers for her first few months in NXT). Also shouts to Dana Brooke, whose interference spots were well-timed and didn't take away from the match -- in fact she helped enhance it, setting up a loving awesome finish that I won't spoil if you haven't seen it yet.

These two were put in a perfect spot -- opening match in front of a red-hot London crowd getting their first TakeOver -- and made the most of it. They ended up being great opponents for each other, which makes their main roster wet farts even more baffling.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

The ending of this is still one of my favorite things ever.

god drat, yes. it was loving incredible

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I present El Hijo Del Santo vs LA Park from 12/23/01 from Monterrey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfvVhrwZr0

Some how Santo is underrated despite being one of the best wrestlers of all time since he somehow isn't in that argument very much. Maybe it is because some of the best matches of his career took place after the peso devaluation when lucha wasn't quite as hot. Maybe it is because on top of that, some of them are on indies where we're lucky we even have footage! This is one. It's a complete bloodbath. You'll probably be surprised what a bloodbath it is. It's just a great match between two absolute greats.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Tomohiro Ishii vs Zack Sabre Jr, Semi-Final Match in tournament for the IWGP United States Title, G1 Special in USA, July 2, 2017

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00445_4_03

Maybe it's just me, but this is low-key one of my favourite rivalries in all of wrestling and after having seen him in the CWC and not really 'getting' it, this was the match that made me see what makes ZSJ so great, and cemented my love for Ishii. It has one of the most insane pops I've ever heard for a rope break.

(apologies for JR and Barnett audio btw)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Some how Santo is underrated despite being one of the best wrestlers of all time since he somehow isn't in that argument very much. Maybe it is because some of the best matches of his career took place after the peso devaluation when lucha wasn't quite as hot. Maybe it is because on top of that, some of them are on indies where we're lucky we even have footage! This is one. It's a complete bloodbath. You'll probably be surprised what a bloodbath it is. It's just a great match between two absolute greats.

I think unfortunately people tend to also undervalue him because his dad was a much bigger star, which is unfair, since his dad is the biggest star in the history of Lucha, plus every person I know who follows Lucha parrots the "Santito was a WAY, WAY better worker" talking point.

Which I don't necessarily doubt given the time period the original's heyday was in, but given how little footage of him exists, it feels like they're going on word of mouth and the footage from him being completely broken down.

It would be like if Hogan had a son who was a crisp, dynamic worker but maybe only had a cup of coffee as WWE champ because of politics or his desire to work for lots of different companies. Crazy stuff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ECW's King of the Hill Battle Royal from the 12/24/96 edition of ECW TV

It's an ECW Royal Rumble that features the classic roster and a slightly different rule set. One, pins are allowed. Two, teams are allowed to enter together under the agreement that if they win, they have to split the winnings. I was lucky enough to see this the first time I watched any ECW and I'm glad it's on the Network.

Similarly...

CHIKARA's Countdown Showdown from Young Lions Cup VIII: Night 3 in 2010

I know that some of CHIKARA is up on the UK Amazon Prime and if they have anything 2010, then this is a good match to check out. It's a 30-man Royal Rumble during the end of the company's heyday when they had their biggest and strongest roster, but before the cracks started to show and they burned their bridges. There's barely any dead weight in there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just checked. Prime is only season 11-18, and season 10 is available to purchase, but that only takes us back to 2011.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Now-defunct indie promotion FWE had a great 2/3 Falls: AJ Styles vs Johnny Mundo title match in March 2015 that nobody remembers because nobody watched FWE. They went all out for a gym of only like 300 people, and it might be the only time that match will ever happen (barring a Morrison return to WWE).

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2t7heu

Sanguinia posted:

John Morrison vs Shaemus in a Ladder Match. It's really quite incredible and I recommend anyone with the network check it out.

Those two had fantastic ring chemistry. For whatever reason they just clicked. IIRC they had a few high profile gimmick matches around that time and they were all really good.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 13, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think unfortunately people tend to also undervalue him because his dad was a much bigger star, which is unfair, since his dad is the biggest star in the history of Lucha, plus every person I know who follows Lucha parrots the "Santito was a WAY, WAY better worker" talking point.

Which I don't necessarily doubt given the time period the original's heyday was in, but given how little footage of him exists, it feels like they're going on word of mouth and the footage from him being completely broken down.

It would be like if Hogan had a son who was a crisp, dynamic worker but maybe only had a cup of coffee as WWE champ because of politics or his desire to work for lots of different companies. Crazy stuff.

That's an interesting way to look at him down to being kind of Hogan like with his politics. Maybe more of a Brody.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That's an interesting way to look at him down to being kind of Hogan like with his politics. Maybe more of a Brody.

I guess the original didn't do many jobs, huh?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I guess the original didn't do many jobs, huh?

I'm talking about the Son. Has a rep for being very hard to work with.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I'm talking about the Son. Has a rep for being very hard to work with.

I remember hearing he had some disputes with CMLL but I figured that was just the people in charge being cheap or whatever because of the state of the peso

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Maybe this one gets love and I just miss whenever or wherever it's brought up but I've always really enjoyed Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus [2 out of 3 Falls] - Extreme Rules 2012 (Dailymotion). The big joke with Bryan and Sheamus has always been their back to back unfortunate Wrestlemania encounters, getting bumped to the pre-show for an underwhelming US Title lumberjack match at WM27 and, more infamously, jerking the curtain at WM28 in That Match, but people tend to forget they capped off the feud with kind of a secret banger of a match before Bryan spent a couple months feuding with Punk and eventually forming Team Hell No.

It's not an all time classic or anything but it's one of the matches I used to like to point to as an example of Sheamus being way better than people give him credit for prior to teaming with Cesaro.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Steve Austin and Spike Dudley had a match on a random RAW that was so good that they storyline gave Spike another shot on the following Smackdown that was also really good. Probably 2001.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 14 days!)

Bigass Moth posted:

Steve Austin and Spike Dudley had a match on a random RAW that was so good that they storyline gave Spike another shot on the following Smackdown that was also really good. Probably 2001.

as far as profightdb says they only had one match, on Smackdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOw6IV07XE

edit: they did work a 6 man on Raw the next week Austin & The Dudleys (Bubba Ray / D-Von) versus Jericho / Benoit / Spike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLjhug5xpqk

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 16, 2019

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bigass Moth posted:

I may have been thinking of Austin and Benoit.
I was, they had a Raw/Smackdown back to back series that were both really good. May 28/29 2001 in Canada.

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 16, 2019

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There was definitely an Austin/Benoit singles match where Austin actually did some mat-wrestling and Heyman patronisingly went "WOW, I DIDN'T KNOW AUSTIN COULD WRESTLE!"

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

i was about to post that lol

here's another pair of all time greats that are extremely underrated, volk han and kiyoshi tamura. tamura is just an amazing worker in this shoot style. he's probably the best babyface in all of shootdom at this point. volk han is a a grappling master. what i like about him is he's always thinking "how can i end the match." a lot of wrestlers it feels like they just want to do stuff to show off, but volk han is 100% all in on winning, and he's looking for any hold, lock or choke he can grab out of any position. together it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SXCbaBmSlM

i'll post some volk han squashes later because it's entertaining seeing a high level grappler trying to figure out the most ridiculous way to submit someone

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
John Morrison and Sheamus had really awesome chemistry. They had a bunch of matches and they're worth checking out. It was the most unexpected hoss-off.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tamura is indeed incredible and here's a couple of his best matches

Super Vader vs. Kiyoshi Tamura, UWFi 94 Pro-Wrestling World Tournament: Semi-Final, June 10th 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y5JkZmxOjE

Everyone knows Vader. He's a big fucker who hits hard and he's one of the best in the world at this point. You'd expect this to be a squash, but it really isn't, because Tamura holds his own really well here. Basically, Tamura's the better martial artist of the pair of them, so if he can use his size and speed to somehow eke out a win against Vader, he'll be in good stead. Of course, this is Vader we're talking about, so that's easier said than done. Well worth ten minutes at the very least.

also speaking of RINGS, they aren't even listed as a promotion on Cagematch (since they did a lot of actual shoot matches alongside their worked shoot matches) so

Tsuyoshi Kohsaka vs. Kiyoshi Tamura, RINGS Fourth Fighting Integration, June 27th 1998

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fa000

Even though this is ostensibly a Meltzer ***** match, it doesn't get nearly enough attention. As mentioned above, Tamura is an incredible shoot wrestler, and TK is every bit his equal in this match. Once they get past the preliminary strikes, the way that they struggle out of each others' holds is so drat beautiful and captivating, and it's the closest example to a 'real' professional wrestling match that I've ever seen.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I wanted to relive my vague memories of seeing Jushin Liger and Ultimo Dragon on a WCW PPV, and I found Starrcade 96. They start the show with Ultimo and Dean Malenko to unify the WCW Cruiserweight Title with all the other junior heavyweight belts. Following that is Akira Hakuto against Madusa for the WCW Women’s Title. And the third match on the card is Rey Mysterio vs Jushin Thunder Liger.

All three matches still hold up with almost anything today, and are on a card most people only remember for the drizzling shits Hogan/Piper main event.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I'll take any chance I can get to share The Greatest Match Of All Time, Samoa Joe vs. The Necro Butcher, IWA Midsouth, 06/11/05

https://youtu.be/mMU5S9VHhJM

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I'll take any chance I can get to share The Greatest Match Of All Time, Samoa Joe vs. The Necro Butcher, IWA Midsouth, 06/11/05

The exploder onto concrete is still the most Gross thing I've ever seen in wrestling

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

NienNunb posted:

Those loving headbutts at 2:50 :gonk:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

This Probably is the best thread ever made on here. very grateful to whoever made it and thought Of it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

This Probably is the best thread ever made on here. very grateful to whoever made it and thought Of it.

That would be Me but also All Of You. Thank you. :)

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Obviously not for everyone but...

LETS GO GRANDMA
https://youtu.be/pkyzLlGcOVI

Not even much to say really. Good memories of early post brand split smackdown.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NienNunb posted:

Oh god, Necro is insane. I'd forgotten how horrifying and visceral this was.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Benne posted:

I would like to submit Asuka vs. Emma, NXT TakeOver London

I'd like to signal boost this match. I keep meaning to go back and watch it again, it's soooooo good.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

There are two matches that are tied for The Greatest Tag Team Marches Of All Time, The Young Bucks vs Super Smash Bros and The Young Bucks vs Future Shock vs Super Smash Bros. Both are worth buying the respective PWG dvds (Death To All But Metal and Threemendous III)

https://youtu.be/upDlVIt7MXU

NienNunb fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 18, 2019

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Threemendous III ladder match is loving bananas

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Xerzes posted:

I'm not sure if this match is sufficiently underrated for this thread but it is good.
Bret "The Hitman" Hart vs The 1-2-3 Kid, RAW, July 11, 1994
I'd started watching wrestling about a month before this and this very good match blew my mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_tO49Yu93s

This is one of the best matches I've watched in a while! I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks for posting!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i don't usually bump threads this dead but this thread has shown me so many good matches and I don't want it to die

Nick Bockwinkel vs Billy Robinson, UWF-i, May 8th 1992.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z1V2IzZ0Sk

I think we take for granted sometimes that pro wrestling is one of the only sports where the athletes are able to perform into their 50s and 60s. You'll never see Larry Bird come back to the Celtics and put up 25 PPG like he used to. You'll never see Bo Jackson put on a Raiders helmet and rip through a defensive line again. But you can watch Nick Bockwinkel have a better match at age 58 than probably half of the North American matches I've seen this year. great, realistic looking grappling and wrestling

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Low Desert Punk posted:

I think we take for granted sometimes that pro wrestling is one of the only sports where the athletes are able to perform into their 50s and 60s. You'll never see Larry Bird come back to the Celtics and put up 25 PPG like he used to. You'll never see Bo Jackson put on a Raiders helmet and rip through a defensive line again. But you can watch Nick Bockwinkel have a better match at age 58 than probably half of the North American matches I've seen this year. great, realistic looking grappling and wrestling

Sometimes the smoke and mirrors is so good/used so effectively that promoters get tricked into thinking they're as good as ever and start pushing them again which generally doesn't go all that well (Hulk Hogan getting another title run in the early 2000s) but it is weird how little it is taken advantage of nowadays that a promoter can have almost 100% control over every aspect of the match structure, its construction, the participants etc, and even carefully guide the audience down a very specific path in terms of cheering/booing.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Christian's entire series of matches with Randy Orton over the Heavyweight Title are very fun to watch. Christian was always very good at laying out matches and each one has new wrinkles in it that make them distinctive and fun to watch. Plus, each match the guys get wise to their opponent's moves and start coming up with counters and fake-outs. Even the match that ends with a DQ is fun because of the implications of the DQ and how it perfectly tied into the storyline they were telling. They only real negative is the literal last move of the feud, as Christian does one of those moves that serves no purpose other than to get countered into an RKO. Like, even if it wasn't countered, he would have just been jumping into thin air.

Also pick any random Christian ECW title match you want, they were always fun. Zack Ryder still hasn't had a better match in almost a decade since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God yes, the Christian/Orton matches were such a treat just from the way you'd see each learn from the mistakes/triumphs of the other whenever they had a new match. Though he was far from as good as Christian at it, I actually dug Cody Rhodes having a similar type of thing in his feud with Ezekial Jackson (I think?) of all people, where every match he got just a little bit better at scouting out Zeke's moves/strengths and finding counters/weaknesses till he finally came out top of the feud. Then a few months later they randomly had another match but by that point Cody had risen higher in the card and as a result he dominated the match. The latter was probably because that's just how they book in WWE, but I liked to think it was a good demonstration of Cody's storyline growth as he was on his way to bigger/better things.