Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Thotimx posted:

My conclusion is that the level of customization in MOO2 ... it's just too much for the rest of it to absorb.

You aren't wrong. The whole is more than just the sum of its parts. The best games tend to be the ones that are aware of their limitations.

Symmetrical gameplay can be a huge trap - Human vs game AI is inherently an assymetrical battle because one can think outside the box and the other is inherently a part of the box. This can be resolved in multiple ways, some breaking symmetry like AI War, some even keeping the illusion of symmetry despite this fundamental problem. A good example would be Galciv 2, where the AI and the game weren't seen as separate things, and the game was deliberately made in such a way that the AI which the developers were capable of creating for it was capable of playing it right. (You can also just go "gently caress it, this is a multiplayer game, the AI is a punching bag for you to train on", though that, too, can be done poorly)

Also, Ground Control. I'd love to see your take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

ManxomeBromide posted:

I've learned a tremendous amount from these LPs of yours, Thotimx. Thanks so much for doing them.

You're welcome! Having them be entertaining enough to stick with and informative pretty much checks the two most important goals for me on any LP, so that's a great compliment.

PurpleXVI posted:

Ground Control 1(also 2? Or just 1?) LP.

We'll see how things look when the time comes, it will almost certainly be based on interest relative to whatever other projects are still active at the time. I'll be surprised if there's enough to justify doing the expansion or sequel, but I'm not going to decide for sure until we get there.