Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
With regards to Silicoids, there's a strange bug related to custom species: Their "repulsive" status is actually also tied to their species graphic. So if you pick Silicoid graphics for a custom species, you're automatically stuck being unable to engage in diplomacy.

Not sure if it's present in all versions of the game, but it was in the one I had as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I always tended to avoid earlygame combat in MoO2 as much as possible and just built fortress worlds, but when I got pushed into it, I always went missiles since beam and projectile weapons tended to be much worse about missing.

Later-game, my favourite strategy was always to go heavy on the boarding and steal entire enemy fleets if I could get away with it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I feel like two "stock" race runs and one custom would be the way to go. Perhaps grab Psilon in a smaller galaxy for an "easy" run and to show off as much as possible, then a less-powerful species like the Darloks or Sakkra to a challenge run, and for the custom run do a species that's as opposite of the previous two as possible.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Yow, I have a feel like we're not gonna see a surprise turnaround on this one.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I enjoy having the maths broken down some.

Also, Thotimx, if you're not having fun with a purposeless run, I'd say go out in a blaze of glory as soon as possible so you can restart, unless you see some sliver of potential hope.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Personally I seem to remember the MoO2 AI as being very diplomatically capricious but also, yes, opportunistic as gently caress. It will easily spot if it can pound you into the dirt and then jump on that opportunity in an instant.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Personally I always liked to combo Creative and Lithovore. Being able to spread fast, because you don't have to give a drat about whether a given world can actually support farming, combined with Creative, will soon outweigh your disadvantages.

Ground Combat, Farming and Spying penalties should combine to make the former affordable, if I didn't miscalculate. Or if it's actually smart enough to bar Lithovore races from taking Farming penalties, Poor Home World + Ship Defense penalty.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm surprised you aren't going full hog on colony ships like I'd expect you to do in MoO1 if you found a cluster of nice habitables like that. But then again, I suppose the colony ships will come out faster if you get, say, the automated factories rolling first.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Does seem suspiciously long without bumping into anyone. Maybe they're having all the cursed starter luck this time around.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

From my own experience, I'd suggest militarizing, since I remember the AI being extremely quick to pounce on any perceived weakness even if you get along with them diplomatically.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The GNN is really just like a modern news source in that they care about what gets clicks/reads. So it's huge outrage stories like "KLACKON EMPEROR LAID EGGS IN MY SPINE, SAYS INNOCENT DARLOK" on the front page and "GALAXY-DESTROYING ALIEN MARAUDERS" goes at the bottom of the back page.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What sort of defenses are you slapping on your planets? When I had a tech lead I usually found that the static defenses like star bases, battle stations, garrisons, missile bases, etc. were effective at warding off most things the AI could toss at me unless they really had overwhelming force. I usually didn't go for a mobile force until it was time to be seriously on the offense.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Wow, this is an exceptionally hostile galaxy.

But also yes, the MoO2 AI is really capricious in general, it's rare that you can count on an ally to have your back in any sense.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Would a Raid attack against an Antaran ship have a chance of damaging their Quantum Detonator? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Silicoids look pretty behind in tech, you never know, maybe your missile base can chunk a decent number of their ships.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well poo poo, that's a lot of sudden hostility. But yeah, the MoO2 AI hates the player, it feels like. Very rarely you'll have one staunch ally that actually sticks with you, but anyone you're not outright allied with will be an aggressive dickhead... much like human players, really.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Voting for:

Crazy Go-Nuts

And for the next game, it'd be fun to see the Darloks as a player race. Maybe a custom with the worst imaginable research abilities, but the best spying abilities, meaning you'd have to more or less steal every research advance you wanted.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Any last redesigns with the new stolen tech and Orion tech before having a go at Antares?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I vote ASSAULT ships, because that was always my personal favourite gimmick.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Thotimx posted:

It is taking somewhat longer than expected, partly because I ran into a game engine limitation that has slowed things down a bit.

I'm curious what the engine limitation will turn out to be. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The Punchnoids from Planet Fist

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Huh, I didn't even know the Antarans used the same mechanics as players, in that sense. I thought the game just randomly generated them a fleet when you attacked or had some hard-coded presets.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm, pleasantly, surprised you managed to fight your way out of that initial boxing-in. Nice job.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

That's just a jinx of a note to end on. But let's hope it's not!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

These small galaxies get very knife-fighty very quickly.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It'd be a surprise if this ended with a diplomatic victory, but probably the least risky way to win considering the Klackon tech disadvantage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh Jesus, get better soon, Thotimx.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Good to hear you're making a recovery!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I don't recall that event lasting that painfully long, in my memory it's just a couple of turns when it pops. Maybe my memory is flawed or maybe there's just a random range that has a very large upper bound.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

man, Ecu is a split system, I think it's my first time seeing a three-way split. I wonder what the max number of planets in a system is, and thus how many ways it can potentially be split.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It feels like the flipover in this last game from "barely hanging on" to "kicking rear end" was extremely rapid. That might just be me, though.

Congrats, in any case!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hell yeah, I'd be down for a Ground Control 1(also 2? Or just 1?) LP.

I also think your assessment of MOO2 is pretty spot-on. A lot of what it adds is conceptually good, but the balance is just... hoo, yeah. It feels like they didn't even try, at points. Or never tested it on anyone who was actually trying to win.