Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Are you ever going to show off a modded Moo2 game?

There VDC, and regular modded both which add and change various stuff, Antarans being much much more dangerous, starbases and planetary defenses got buffed, and the tech tree got reworked for starters.
ICE-M and ICE-X makes the AI more difficult.

In all of these you are expected to cheese the game whenever possible.

http://moo2mod.com/ for those that want to look at it, and yes I have played it, and yes I got my butt kicked.

Edit: to share a story, my family used to play Master of Orion 2 for years, until the original CD exploded in the CD drive, good game.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

It's weird that "300 space of infinite missiles" is not that great, seeing as missiles are kings of the early game.

The short version for those who may get to see that in action soon: missiles hit harder than equivalent beams this early and have 100% accuracy. The only way to not get hit by a missile is to shoot it down (good loving luck with the targeting computers available) or use technology that comes further down the tree. Sure, missiles have limited ammo, but a few five-shot racks should be able to shoot down most of what you encounter, with a backup laser or two just in case.

You can get enveloping on fusion beams which makes for a good early game anti-missile/fighter weapon.

Also if you stack up on modifiers on lasers they are the poor man's death ray.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Arban posted:

Yes! this, and the ship design system in general is the main reason why I like this game. There are so many ways to tweak and modify your ships and many of them have significant effect on performance, which affects tactics... it's so much more rewarding than just "mk3 laser give 15% more dps than mk2 laser"

:unsmigghh: There are at least 20 ship combat/building stratifies depending on what technologies/weapons you have/want to use. I was about to go into a long effort post about it but that would be spoilers.

Depending on what technologies you have and how well off you are, the Antarians could be throwing free ships at you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Fun Fact about Space Academies, if you have more than one space academy they add up.

Also Lasers are the best starting weapon, Last I checked you can put armor piercing, shield piercing, continuous, and more for very little cost/space. And this doesn't go away very fast because the damage reduction of armor and shields only matters if they stop the attack.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 21, 2019

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MaskedHuzzah posted:

It's worth noting that once ships are on there way to one of your systems, diplomacy seems to work but is entirely irrelevant. I've gotten the AI to agree to a non-aggression pact while waiting for its ships to arrive, and they just went "SNEAK ATTACK". And I don't think AI empires get diplomatic penalties with each other over breaking pacts.

This is true, they can even attack and invade your world while an alliance is in effect. Yes, this did happen to my brother, he was playing on impossible mode and winning, his AI ally attacked and tried to invade one of his worlds (failed anyways) and was somehow still allied to him afterwords.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Torrannor posted:

It's hilarious that "missile bases" comes up again and again. Too many people who only played creative races itt?

It's clearly a very tough situation to be in. Silicoids and Klackons are the early game races. If you could hold against them with a similar number of worlds, your tech advantages would make you overtake them eventually. It might still be possible to stave them off. Callisto and Sol have several usable planets between them. You could try to turtle a bit, and then take out the Meklar?

Until they send 1 spy for a turn and steal all the key technologies.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Olesh posted:

Fighter bays launch 4 interceptors per bay. Fighter Garrisons launch 10 interceptors (in two groups of 5).

Fighter bays never make new fighters during combat, they're basically fancier missiles, any fighters that die will stay dead.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Lithavore doesn't get farming technologies and doesn't get any racial farming picks.

Also repulsive is one of my go-to free points, you are going to be killing all the AIs eventually.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

my dad posted:

The one nice thing about the Darloks being repulsive is that they can't trade away anything they steal like the AI usually does. Those techs can only be stolen from them, and good loving luck to people trying to spy on Darloks.

This was explained to me by some Moo2 modders, apparently the AI is programmed to trade any and all techs they have for an advantage over the player,

what I think: the AI has some advantages over the player such as "poo poo out a ship or something every so often for free" to balance out the fact they aren't a fully fleshed out AI, the same goes for spying against the player.

Every +10 or -10 is how much a spy is worth in rolls. every +10 is addional spy worth, every -10 a spy is worth half as much. Since the darloks have +30 this means every one of their spies are worth 4 of an unbonused species spies.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MechaCrash posted:

"have no Darloks left to do the stealing."

This is why I always go repulsive, there is only one way to deal with the AI in MOO2:

Purge the xeno scum.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

nweismuller posted:

I thought there was only one way to deal with the AI: establish mutually-beneficial links of commerce and communication and solidify one's position to lay the groundwork for a new era of peace.

Fun fact, the AI can attack you without breaking an alliance, and it will spy on you even if you are it's ally.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Antarians and space monsters are immune to ion cannons.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I prefer ships with Damper Fields to ships with shields. To get the most out of your shields, you need Hard Shields, Shield Capacitors, and Multi-Phased Shields. And some of the later game weapons easily chew through even those shields, while they will do much less damage against Damper Field protected ships. If you have Xentronium Armor and Heavy Armor, then that's a lot of hit points to get through, and it takes up less ship space as well.

Yes, but then you leave yourself vulnerable to randomly getting one shotted through all that. Structural analyzer and plasma means you are taking 8x more damage, with dampner field that takes it down to 2x, but that still leaves you open to things like achilies targeting unit and missiles with emission guidance system insta-killing your ship.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Thotimx posted:

That makes sense, I guess I should bypass the Guardian for the time being then.

I remember there were some techs that could only be gotten from Orion that I think have since been removed from the game. There was a planetary blackhole generator that's basically double the effectiveness of a warp inhibitor that slows down enemies to 0.5 parsecs or something, thats the only one I can remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
You can get enveloping on fusion beams, which is very very nice.