Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Written by TheNabster, Art by DogKisser

The world is a mutable, malleable thing. In the immeasurable vastness of the Ocean, tiny pinpricks of Something burst into being, only to vanish. Without a stabilizing presence, they are hopeless against the crashing waves of Nothing. Without Gods, Something has no hope.

Gods float above the Ocean, droplets of dew against its immensity. Without worship, they perish, snuffed out. Small crumbs of Something draw countless Gods, feeding on each other and on the life they nourish with their presence. All are doomed to return to the Ocean, but for a time they grow strong and fat, and it is enough. Without Something, the Gods have no hope.

And yet. Something is a very robust material compared to the fragility of the Gods. Gods come and go, they leave their mark on this world, on its landscape, on its people and then they vanish, falling once again back into the endless ether beyond. But the whole remains, the shape of something remains. Even as the skies burn, and the seas boil, and the land is reduced as to dust, Something remains behind.

And when the Gods are no more, the people remain.

-O-

In the Broken Gods of Elsewhere, you take the form of a God, an being of immense power who can influence the land below you and through that, the people that live on it to your divine whims. For those who played or read DogKisser’s earlier efforts The Lord of the Tower, or The Fragile Gods of Somewhere you may already be familiar with the rules. In fact with DogKisser’s express permission I wished to use those same rules with just a few tweaks to make things a little different, and things will be different, trust me on this one. He is also helping me run this game and providing me some art in the process, so this will essentially be a Co-DM’ed game.

EDIT: Updated with the real rules.

THE CHOSEN
  • To create your Chosen, follow the instructions below this list and fill out the template provided.
  • Your body is robust but your innate power is volatile. You start with 4 HP and roll a d20 per turn to determine the effectiveness of your actions.
  • The higher your roll the more effective your action will be.
  • On a dice roll equal to or below 10, you will lose 1 HP.
  • On a roll of 1, lose 1 HP immediately and your Action backfires entirely, causing the opposite effect to what you wanted.
  • On a roll of 20, your Action is greatly magnified and you gain a +1 Bonus to Actions thereafter.
How to Chosen?
  • Start with a name of course! And a species, since you are still a Person of Elsewhere. Puns are not required but they are appreciated. (Note there is no set limit on the number Chosen for an individual species)
  • Next, choose a thing you are the Chosen of, this is your divine spark similar to a God’s giving you some limited supernatural abilities, ‘Miracles’ if you would.
  • Then pick three traits, one at Advanced and two at Basic. These are your character’s skills, and they will have an easier time doing things related to them than otherwise.
  • Describe your character, you don’t need reams and reams but it will define what you look like.
  • Finally draw your symbol, a template will be provided after characters have been rolled for an age.
Name: Chuck, Chosen of Templates
Species: Man
Traits: Advanced Template Writing, Basic Proofreading, Basic Cooking
Description: Chuck is a big man who wears a nice shirt. Chuck is also mostly made up for the purpose of this template and example.

WISPS

The Gods have ceased to be long before the beginning of the game, but the Wisps remain. Attracted to the latent energies of Divinity they surge at the borders of Elsewhere, to observe and influence the proceedings.
  • Any reader not currently portraying a Chosen is a Wisp - Wisps have no Names or true personalities, but may affect Elsewhere through affecting the Chosen.
  • A Wisp may still add or subtract one point from any active Chosen’s Action per turn. If this drops their roll below 10, so be it - the Ocean is a harsh place.
  • Dice rolls only go between 1 and 20 - any bonuses or maluses that would cause them to exceed these thresholds merely become a buffer. For instance, a roll of 19 with +3 granted by Wisps would mechanically become a 20 - but would require -3 to lower it to a 19, rather than -1. Mostly you don't need to concern yourself with the math!
TAKING ACTIONS

THE CHOSEN
  • List your Name, Traits and HP at the top of each post in Bold.
  • Write a post about what you intend to do, then roll a d20. That's it.
  • Your Traits and your Divine Spark don't have any direct effect on your roll, but doing things that you are trained in may lead to greater results.
WISPS
  • You don't get a name, but make sure to Bold any changes you make, as well as the name of the Chosen affected. You may only use one action per turn.
  • Each age you will get to perform two Bless actions, two Bane actions, and one Abstain action. Bless adds +1 to a Chosen's roll, Banes inflict -1 to a roll, and Abstain does nothing but still grants you a point
  • Each time you make an action, you weaken the wall between you and Elsewhere. Keep track of how many you do, it'll improve your chance to become a Chosen.
-O-

You know how this part works right? Maybe it’s a vague sense of deja vu, perhaps a memory once forgotten and brought forward. Here is a blank canvas for you perusal, everything right there is pure Something right now the raw meta-element of the Ocean, but it can't actually do anything unless it becomes something else, an actual thing rather than the platonic idea of a thing. You will all need to paint the scenery.

First lets get some d100s from everyone - the five highest rolls will be our first set of Gods, and the rest will be Wisps. Second, along with your d100 roll, I also need 5 Materials from each of you, regardless whether or not your roll is good. These can be things like Water, Ice, Chocolate, Licorice, Honey, Stone, Gems, Metal, Wood, Rabbits, Dragons, Pastry, Meat - you get the idea. Something tangible, something visible. These will form the building blocks for this world in their broadest sense: choosing Rabbit, for example, doesn’t mean that there will be rabbit people, just that they will have some qualities associated with it, and the landscape may take on traits of rabbit habitats. The land will be shaped by the Concepts chosen, and so will the Peoples upon it.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

THE LEXICON OF ELSEWHERE

The Elements of Elsewhere

The Magic of Elsewhere

This History of Elsewhere

The Prologue and Age One The performance commences, comedy and tragedy intermixed, a terrible discovery, an insurmountable foe.
Paralogue One An experimental intermission, a voyage into the void fated to disaster, the game set in motion, the missing half revealed.

Fan Art Tab

Art by Noppy

Art by Scribbleykins

Art by Jvie.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 28, 2019

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
GROUND FLOOR

HAMM, the God of Largeness
Become God: 1d100 57

Materials:
Blood
Cloud
Gold
Bread
Salt changed into Pepper

Theantero fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 13, 2019

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Rush, Deity of Rivers
God Roll: 1d100 92

Materials:
Blood
Steam
Slime
Rust Magnets
Bone Chitin

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 13, 2019

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Stork, God of Heights
Manifest: 1d100 16

Materials
Mold
Trains
Springs
Chitin
Oil

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Arad, God of Truth
God roll: 61.

Materials
Books
Limestone Gold
Horses
Leather
Wine Glass

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 13, 2019

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Estur, God of Overindulgence

Engoddify: 1d100 99!

Blood
Trains
Love Oxytocin Magnets
Truth Sodium Thiopental Books
Surprise Potassium.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 13, 2019

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Sucy, Goddess of Mushrooms
Manifestation roll: 1d100 86

Elements:
Mushrooms
Trains
Caramel
Salt
Steam

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

AJ_Impy posted:

Love
Truth
Surprise.

Tangible and visible Mr Impy, you can't hold Surprise in your hand.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

O, God of Want
Desire for existence: 1d100 24

Slime
Chitin
Void oil
Masks
Shark

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 13, 2019

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Kemissst, God of Transmutation
God Roll: 1d100 37

Materials:
Glass
Water
Dirt
Organs
Flame

e: Am I missing some canon Materials list that explains why everyone seems to have Blood/Chitin/Slime in their lists?

Klungar fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 13, 2019

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

V-Siau, Rain Deity
God Roll: 1d100 53

Materials
Teeth
Slime
Salt Trains
Chitin
Tungsten

Bee Bonk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 13, 2019

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Klungar posted:

e: Am I missing some canon Materials list that explains why everyone seems to have Blood/Chitin/Slime in their lists?

They're just suggestions that have caught on and more people are voting for them, and people like to see weirder elements. In Above/Below, the world's primary liquid was Crow.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Boreas, God of the North
Apotheosis: 1d100 1

Materials:
Sword Blood
Juice Salt Pepper
Eye Slime Books
Magnets
Uranium Trains

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 13, 2019

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Aabcehmu posted:

Boreas, God of the North

nice

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Remember that one time I rolled, like, I think it was three consecutive nat 1s in that game of yours? That was fun.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Aabcehmu posted:

Boreas, God of the North

To be fair, rolling nat 1 is far more likely if you roll 1d20 instead of 1d100 like a chump :v:

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Theantero posted:

To be fair, rolling nat 1 is far more likely if you roll 1d20 instead of 1d100 like a chump :v:
checks

drat it! Too much muscle memory for rolling d20s. Oh well, with my luck I probably wouldn't have rolled much higher on a d100 anyway.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Aabcehmu posted:

checks

drat it! Too much muscle memory for rolling d20s. Oh well, with my luck I probably wouldn't have rolled much higher on a d100 anyway.

I'll allow you to reroll your godhood with a d100, I'm not that bad.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

TheNabster posted:

I'll allow you to reroll your godhood with a d100, I'm not that bad.

Boreas, God of the North
Apotheosis, with a d100 you dummy: 1d100 7

Figures

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Neat, always wanted to participate in one of these from the start!

Nivaren, Lord of Lines

Manifestation Roll: 70

Materials
Rubies
Sand Changed to Pepper
Wax
Lemonade Changed to Books
Ice

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 14, 2019

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vāc, Goddess of Words
Manifestation Roll: 1d100 24

Materials
Salt Pepper
Wax
Copper Glass
Soda Chitin
Parchment Books

Tricky Dick Nixon fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 13, 2019

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Kazadar, God of Defenestration
http://orokos.com/roll/710460 (67)

Materials:
Wood
Glass
Lacquer
Stone
Linen

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

With the amount of rolls and elements we have I'll put up the current tally. I intend to close sign-ups by Midnight GMT on Friday, so until then feel free to apply or change elements. But as an additional side note, if you are changing your elements don't delete the previous elements even if they aren't getting any votes just put a line through them instead, trust me on this one.

UPDATE 6: Updated from Arcanuse
Number of Players: 27

Forerunner Elements - The favourites to win

Books 11
Pepper 10
Blood 9
Trains 9
Magnets 8

Competing Elements - Fighting for dominance.

Chitin 6
Glass 6
Slime 6
Steam 6
---
Gold 5
---
Beer 4
Oil 4
---
Bread 3
Ice 3
Masks 3
Teeth 3
Wax 3
---
Bone 2
Horse 2
Stone 2

Singular Elements - Those that could exist

Animals
Fish
Shark

Foodstuffs
Caramel
Nuts
Salt

Fungal
Mould
Mushrooms

Liquids
Lemonade
Juice
Paint
Soda
Water
Wine

Materials
Leather
Linen

Metals
Copper
Gallium
Potassium
Rust (I mean technically rust is a degraded form of Iron)
Tungsten
Uranium

Objects
Cash
Cube
Hats
Haunted Houses
Springs
Sword

Organics
Eye
Flesh
Organs

Stones
Brick
Limestone
Rubies
Sand (Just stones worn down)

Natural Miscellaneous
Cloud
Dirt
Flame
Stars
Wood

Unnatural Miscellaneous
Lacquer
Explodium (This will be Dynamite or Gunpowder because Explodium isn't a thing that exists)

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 15, 2019

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Sivvis, God of Reflection
God Check: 1d100 44

Materials:
Fish
Paint
Glass
Teeth
Gold

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Gelloebell, God of the Lost
Engoddify: 1d100 23

Elements:
Steam
Slime
Oil
:10bux: Filthy Lucre :10bux:
Gallium

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Baggles, God of Vagrants
Apotheosis: 1d100 27

Elemental Materials
Books
Brick
Bone Blood
Beer
Bread

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 14, 2019

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

TheNabster posted:

With the amount of rolls and elements we have I'll put up the current tally. I intend to close sign-ups by Midnight GMT on Friday, so until then feel free to apply or change elements.

I see, I misunderstood the OP. I thought the Materials were supposed to be about your God and were specific to your God, not some universal thing that people were voting on.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Klungar posted:

I see, I misunderstood the OP. I thought the Materials were supposed to be about your God and were specific to your God, not some universal thing that people were voting on.

Apologies if I didn't make that clear enough.

Incidentally we do have a Discord for other similar games that I am going to be using for this if you have other questions.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
Geralt, God of Resistance

https://orokos.com/roll/710487 = 23

Materials:

Blood
Books
Magnets
Masks
Ice

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Apotheosis: 1d100 100

Have you heard? The Once and Future King will be here at any moment! Surely then all our problems will be solved.
Yes, it's only a matter of time now...

Coming Soon, to a Reality Near You! The God of Hope!

---

Materials:
Trains
Magnets
Explodium Changed to Pepper
Bread
Stars

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 13, 2019

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Hat.

I wanna be a god!: 1d100 18

Materials:
Hats
Pepper
Trains
Cube
Butter

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Materials

gold
wax
teeth
horse
trains

woop: 1d100 33

womp womp

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Shine, God of Libations

Trains
Chitin
Steam
Magnets
Beer

Being A God?: 1d100 1

:rubshands:

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Love So Hazardous As To Be Impossible, God of Ethics ("Just call me Lovie!")

God!: 1d100 86

Blood
Pepper
Trains -> Beer
Glass -> Magnets
Teeth -> Books

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 14, 2019

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Let's be a godde: 1d100 89

Materials
Pepper
Haunted Houses
Beer
Slime
Bread wait beer and bread are close enough, how about NUTS instead

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 14, 2019

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Materials

Blood
Gold
Glass
Oil
Steam

Sam, God of Sales
Manifest: 1d100 49

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Kazo, the god of Suggestion

Become a god: 1d100 55

Books
Blood
Pepper
Slime
Magnets

Hopefully my luck is better now than it was for Fragile Gods.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

In light of seeing the amount of voting and applicants in the thread, I have decided upon consultation with DogKisser to close things off a little earlier. I will be closing Sign-Ups and vote changing at Midnight GMT tonight instead of on Friday, so around 5 hours from this post. If you want to slide in under the door at the last minute you are free to do so, but currently all rolls and elemental votes look like this.

The First Wave

Swedish Thaumocracy - Coming Soon, The God of Hope – 100
AJ_Impy – Estur, God of Overindulgence – 99
Barbed Tongues – Rush, Diety of Rivers – 92
Paper bag with a face – Anonymous – 89

And in the traditional grimy basement knife fight we have

Poltergrift – Lovie, God of Ethics – 86
Vs
Sheep-dodger – Goddess of Mushrooms - 86

In the interest of fairness I will allow you both to either roll off for this using a d20, or give it up to the other person. There will be no Bipartiteship in this game I will say first and foremost

The rest of you, feel free to draw your God Icon on the traditional template. You are only allowed to use straight lines and curves that follow the dots when drawing the icon. This is mostly to make things easier on DogKisser.

The Current Chosen Elements

Books 9
Pepper 9
Trains 9
Blood 8
Magnets 8

Competing Elements

Chitin 6
Glass 6
Slime 6
---
Gold 5
Steam 5
---
Beer 4
Oil 4
---
Bread 3
Teeth 3
Wax 3
---
Ice 2
Masks 2
Horse 2

If you so wish to do some last minute lobbying you may try, but you all seem mostly decided at this point. The dawn of the final day begins now.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 14, 2019