Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dont post about my wedding

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

psiox posted:

one word: quantum

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nooooo! not computer!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

posts will be stored in a database. registered users will be able to read and create posts using the Oracle SQL Developer app, available free of charge here: https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/appdev/sql-developer.html

i like this idea. let’s do this one

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

assume that the "new" codebase does not need to be relied upon in any way, and can be hosted on the cheap separately from this website, running alongside it as a proof of concept for as long as necessary. Copy some threads over manually for testing and otherwise use dummy data.

Likewise there's no reason to open the existing forums code up to public scrutiny if we just accept not migrating anything over (except for user credentials, which is a smaller job). A fresh start. It can aim for the same superficial behavior of each existing forums feature without anyone needing to care how radium's code accomplished a similar thing. If some things are different, they can at least be simpler and more open to being fixed. The nuances that don't get captured might not be noticed much since most of SA's weird niche features are used rarely (or not at all if they were temporary fads) compared to a few extremely common actions... read, post, edit, filter threads, search, etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i wonder how many times it can be explained to that person without them getting it?

several more, at least, surely

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
hypothetically, how hard do you think it would be to find the old bitcointalk forum posts when they were donating 1 million+ funbux so that the dipshit who ran it could code a new forum from scratch?

version 1.0 being the most secure, etc? that was some quality stiff and i think those posts would offer a lot of insight if presented in qcs

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
my main concern with the current forums honestly is that they use https, which is known to be backdoored by the nasa and mi5. I’d like to propose a goon project to design a new secure network protocol using a custom encryption (not "audited" by us governmet!)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

infernal machines posted:

hypothetically, how hard do you think it would be to find the old bitcointalk forum posts when they were donating 1 million+ funbux so that the dipshit who ran it could code a new forum from scratch?

version 1.0 being the most secure, etc? that was some quality stiff and i think those posts would offer a lot of insight if presented in qcs

I wish you goonspeed on this endeavor

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

my main concern with the current forums honestly is that they use https, which is known to be backdoored by the nasa and mi5. I’d like to propose a goon project to design a new secure network protocol using a custom encryption (not "audited" by us governmet!)

oh yeah definitely the new forums should use the goonfish protocol for security instead of aes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
as a starting point I’m thinking just XOR traffic against hello.jpg. boy howdy I wish I could see the face of the cryptologist who breaks that

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TIL that my company uses that weird jeff fatwood forum software for their support forums

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
what about it is “weird”?

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
i assumed he meant fatwood

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

obstipator posted:

what about it is “weird”?

wasn't that the one where he came to SA and started a thread about him wanting to write forum software that replicated SA's moderation but with an algorithm?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

six course, by chef fatwood of snack overflow

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
he wanted to know how to create a successful internet community, so he carefully studied something awful and then did exactly the opposite

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Soricidus posted:

as a starting point I’m thinking just XOR traffic against hello.jpg. boy howdy I wish I could see the face of the cryptologist who breaks that

:hmmyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can actually page people

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Uses IEC 62279 so can run a train through it.

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
High integrity shitposting

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
emptyquotes are paid for with awfulcoin, a crypto token that can also be traded for custom titles, ik status, or the ability to promote threads to the front page

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
the new forum must be 508 compliant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'll head up the iso 9001 certification initiative

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
biographies of users found at 420.69 in the dewey decimal system

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
akla twitter, a users posts should load up directly under their profile immediately, none of this searching business

since posting pictures is so much more fundamental to the internet this days and age, maybe add gallery or collage functions inbuilt? some sub forums are almost entirely pictures so perhaps, while [img] things still work, there is a second input box that only takes [img] links and displays the images as a collage or gallery style, so that image heavy threads have inbuilt flexibility on how they are displayed, especially on mobile, of which displaying on will be considered from day one (eg instagram style side scroll images within one post but can scroll to next post immediately)

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

echinopsis posted:

akla twitter, a users posts should load up directly under their profile immediately, none of this searching business

since posting pictures is so much more fundamental to the internet this days and age, maybe add gallery or collage functions inbuilt? some sub forums are almost entirely pictures so perhaps, while [img] things still work, there is a second input box that only takes [img] links and displays the images as a collage or gallery style, so that image heavy threads have inbuilt flexibility on how they are displayed, especially on mobile, of which displaying on will be considered from day one (eg instagram style side scroll images within one post but can scroll to next post immediately)

how about 56k-NO :smuggo:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i think you just invented the *chans gallery and overboard views

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Soricidus posted:

he wanted to know how to create a successful internet community, so he carefully studied something awful and then did exactly the opposite

and he recruited a goon to write it for him lol. of course he also paid said goon to do it.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Oh no I just mean coding a new forum from scratch. Like, from the ground up, a new platform for displaying and storing forums. Even I know how I would write a trivial forum site. I'd use Node and MongoDB for backend and vanilla es6 JavaScript/CSS for front end and host it on AWS. I know that set of simple technologies could do it in a minimal fashion, even though they're the only tools that I know. Which is why someone else should probably do it, like someone who does this for a living and knows what they're doing, but I've run into tons of people on here who fit that bill in SH/SC. Many of them would probably eagerly watch a project purporting to be the new version of the forums the post on every day, if Lowtax endorsed it. Some would see opportunities and contribute. Some would take charge because it means something to them.

There is nothing inherently hard about storing and serving up text. Today platforms that serve video are all the rage, but a single video or GIF holds more data than the entire text of some entire megathreads and maybe even subforums. It gets dicey the less minimal you go, but people would be willing to put up with a pretty minimal experience if it meant the forums aren't at risk of vanishing and get to survive forever because the codebase is open source. And then there's no reason to stay that minimal; little features like smilies could be integrated immediately because they're small, simple, and cost nothing to host. Force images and video to be stored offsite, even maybe avatars. No frills at first. Incrementally add quality of life things in as time goes on, but now it's a community doing it and an open source project so there's more potential contributors down the road and no risk of the whole thing suddenly disappearing from the internet forever if someone has a stroke

Of course some of the "frills" I mention are revenue streams (like avatars, plat) so maybe don't flip off the switch of the original forums until the new platform has shown that it can handle that stuff. But I don't see how keeping both websites open simultaneously could really backfire. Worst case, the new platform sucks and no one migrates and things stay the same, and there never becomes a need to expand hosting for the new one so the total cost is $0. Best case, it's better and people like it more and do migrate and still want to find ways to pay Lowtax for it.

My eye lid started twitching uncontrollable halfway through reading this

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao that you read it at all

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i think you just invented the *chans gallery and overboard views

don’t u dare say chan to me :jerry:

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
just make a quick html solution

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

heres your solution https://jekyllrb.com/news/2019/03/18/jekyll-4-0-0-pre-alpha1-released/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

may i suggest the forums be coded in a language that's close to the metal?

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

my bitter bi rival posted:

just use a google sheet that we all have access to

You jest, but, why not Wave. Once we iron out those teething problems, its pretty good at serving up text.
Rewind functionality was a riot.

Failing that, Sharepoint is clearly a very capable and webscale platform.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

spankmeister posted:

may i suggest the forums be coded in a language that's close to the metal?

gpu-accelerated forums

thanks, vulkan

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we are not using ruby for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
who's in charge of jira