Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the system shall use X.500 directory services for message routing and any other directory needs

to simplify this and provide for future interoperability, addressing and identification will follow the OSI standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the system shall be provisioned with X.25 endpoints for wide area access

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I like how that too

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
Imagine a network ... now imagine a mesh network ... now imagine ... instead of packets ... it's posts ...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
whatever we do, it must run in containers on service fabric

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Captain Foo posted:

its time to break with the tired, traditional concepts like authorship, attribution, and both chronological order and the insane semantic ordering we allow others to impose upon us.

nah, we need to preserve authorship and attribution so we can implement an attention-economy blockchain token to reward posters who create compelling memes

I agree with the chronological order part of this though. get rid of the thread/forum listings and just have a flat newsfeed with an algorithm to make sure the top items are posts that you are likely to enjoy based on your previous activity on the site

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stick Insect posted:

All links in a post will be replaced with SA's own url shortening service http://goon.say. It will be used for metrics and eventually stop working.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

all images used in posts will be automatically migrated to a distributed image service to ensure their continued presence in case any particular centralized service disappears

pram
Jun 10, 2001
we can call it waffleimages

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

lmso

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

pram posted:

k thx

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Because it turned 360 degrees and broke your image thread urls

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

infinite scrolling, but if you scroll more than two pages then it pops up an overlay telling you to buy premium

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
To expand on the need for infinite scroling: When opening a thread, it should always start at the first post. You need to scroll all the way down to the most recent post before the reply button will appear. This has multiple advantages over the current paginated format.

No more repeat questions and reposts! Everyone who posts in the thread has been forced to read and understand every post.

No need to lock large threads either, they simply won't grow too big because eventually the browser will crash or scrolling will become so slow that a potential poster will quit in frustration.

No more poor people posting. Poor people cannot afford as much RAM, so they'll be kept out of threads at an early stage.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Sweevo posted:

infinite scrolling

Hilbert's Forums

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your cardinality is a piece of poo poo

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

also please override the browser's standard scrolling functionality

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
also put a "DO NOT STEAL" popup whenever you try to right click something

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Convoolio posted:

also please override the browser's standard scrolling functionality

nobody uses page down/up or space/shift+space, they just use natural scroll on their phones or heaven forbid, the scrollwheel of their mouse

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Zlodo posted:

also put a "DO NOT STEAL" popup whenever you try to right click something

this isnt the enterprise software thread

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
I’m very excited to get started next week. thinking Monday afternoon?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

passwords should be like this for extra security

• must contain at least 2 uppercase and lowercase letters
  • minimum 16 characters
  • at least 3 numbers
  • at least 2 special characters
  • must not contain spaces or $ sign because see below
  • must not contain any dictionary words

i thought of a clever way to store them safely in the db. we can basically md5 the password 2 times and append the md5 of the current date of the password as well to make it extra safe.

thanks to that we can also force people to change it every 6 months

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

• minimum 16 characters
  • at least 3 numbers
  • at least 2 special characters
  • must not contain spaces or $ sign because see below
  • must not contain any dictionary words

i thought of a clever way to store them safely in the db. we can basically md5 the password 2 times and append the md5 of the current date of the password as well to make it extra safe.

thanks to that we can also force people to change it every 6 months

look it's 2019, time for some innovation

the password should contain an emoji

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

rotor posted:

Imagine a network ... now imagine a mesh network ... now imagine ... instead of packets ... it's posts ...

maybe this is where you were going, but if not, it got me thinking: there are a lot of costs involved with hosting a database and all that. also all the blockchain stuff is lovely cause the storage everyone has to have grows and grows (and many other reasons blockchain is poo poo, ofc). SO… what if we always just send the posts back and forth to each other forever. that way the storage is in the network, which is free for us. it's perfect.

))<>((

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

like no one hangs out here because of the forum features. it's because of the community and moderators. we could rewrite the forums tomorrow by just deleting the whole thing and deploying xenforo or whatever.

the only critical features are:

1. support for linking payments to accounts. the forums obviously need to move to a monthly subscription model. maybe poor posters can beg for patronage from 6 figgy yosposters.
2. support for whatever the moderators need to effectively continue to moderate.
3. getting rid of all of the existing posts

then we can talk about adding features. i think lowtax is afraid of losing income revenue from av purchases and that kinda thing but at the end of the day i think he will get more money just by going to $10/mo.

Quoting an extremely correct post so that I can repost it on the new forum.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

• minimum 16 characters

uh I think you mean maximum here. and 16 seems quite high. probably 10 is enough, maybe even 8. we can just ban accounts after 3 failed tries so brute forcing isn’t a threat we have to worry about.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lots of time should be spent porting over vital features like SAclopedia

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Sweevo posted:

lots of time should be spent porting over vital features like SAclopedia

if the one guy who still has Forums Cancer doesn't still have it in the new forums then I am going to write Richard a VERY angry email

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Vomik posted:

I’m very excited to get started next week. thinking Monday afternoon?

has anyone made the wiki yet? we aren’t going to get very far without one. I was thinking about giving it a shot but I can’t decide which wiki software has the best syntax, can someone make a poll please

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

in addition to the wiki we need a newsgroup on news.yospos.net

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

eschaton posted:

in addition to the wiki we need a newsgroup on news.yospos.net

Rotor, paging rotor

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

um yeah like uh its right there my dude

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
We also need to port over the paging functionality which is cleary working very well.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

maybe we can put an access database into a google drive and then share the folder with paying members???

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
maybe a wiki is unnecessarily complicated, is there a way to put a onenote on the internet without paying for it? everybody has onenote right?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

look i thought about it overnight and i know php 7.2 is most popular php but maybe we should make sure the forums software is still compatible with php 5 because we might have to migrate search to my old hostgator account when the forums are under high load

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i found a long term enterprise grade free cloud storage solution:

https://github.com/stewartmcgown/uds-web

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

look i thought about it overnight and i know php 7.2 is most popular php but maybe we should make sure the forums software is still compatible with php 5 because we might have to migrate search to my old hostgator account when the forums are under high load

wait, we’re not using perl? I thought we agreed on perl

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress, that means I need to start over on the coding style guidelines. I’d nearly finished the rationale for the brace positioning too. urgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Perl 4, 5, or 6 though?