Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best iPhone
iPhone SE
iPhone SE
View Results

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

There Will Be Penalty posted:

you're wrong it's iphone 4s

were u also trying to upload a large image to imgur and it hosed it up, cos same thing happened to me and idk why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

There Will Be Penalty posted:

you're wrong it's iphone 4s

this is correct with the caveat that it must have ios 5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

the best iPhone is the one you keep close to your nutsack ❤️

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I still want a 4s body with modern guts.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

were u also trying to upload a large image to imgur and it hosed it up, cos same thing happened to me and idk why

i don't remember it loving up for me. original was 600 x 600.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
totalwireless has refurb 32gb SE's for $69(nice) no strings/plan required. just bought one for my sister who dropped her gas station android in the toilet.

i don't think she's ever had anything other than an android that was literally the cheapest thing she could find at any given time, so i'm sure she'll be in for a shock in regards to how less lovely a phone could possibly be.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

the best iphone is the one you have with you

bless

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Laslow posted:

totalwireless has refurb 32gb SE's for $69(nice) no strings/plan required. just bought one for my sister who dropped her gas station android in the toilet.

i don't think she's ever had anything other than an android that was literally the cheapest thing she could find at any given time, so i'm sure she'll be in for a shock in regards to how less lovely a phone could possibly be.

won’t this phone be locked to only operate on total wireless/tracphone/simple mobile for a year?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

strangehamster posted:

won’t this phone be locked to only operate on total wireless/tracphone/simple mobile for a year?
not sure, but she doesn't even need service in theory thanks to everyone that matters to her having imessage/facetime anyway. :)

e: and now that i'm thinking about it, i should probably grab one as a backup phone/music player while they're still available. :thunk:

Laslow fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 21, 2019

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

strangehamster posted:

this is deemed anti-competitive in a number of jurisdictions, here anyhow they have to unlock the devices for free if you contact the carrier

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
i think you can usually you can use a locked mvno device on the main carrier too without problems, like say using a metropcs phone on t-mobile. but the problem with tracfone is that they use all four major networks, so i guess i won't know until i get the device and check out the model and it's baseband values.

i'd bet it's likely a gsm carrier, but i can't be sure which one. but i think most iphone models are universally compatible after the 5s or 6. again, it's not an issue for my sister since she'll end up using whatever ghetto prepaid service she can when she does get actual phone service, locked in or not.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how difficult is it to unlock? what is the method used in the locking process?

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

echinopsis posted:

how difficult is it to unlock? what is the method used in the locking process?
Usually it’s a code you need to enter on your phone.

Unless you owe money or are still under contract, you just call and request the subsidy unlock code from the carrier.

I think most phones are unlocked per FCC rules nowadays. I got my phone under an installment plan through AT&T but technically I bought it outright and they just finance it at 0% apr as opposed to the old contracts with subsidized prices, like $199 iPhones, but were carrier locked for 2 years.

Price wise, it’s really a wash between the old subsidy contracts and new financed installments. But 0% APR for 2 years is a pretty great deal when you consider they don’t charge even a penny over MSRP, even if it’s a grand. You do need credit, which I don’t really have, but I’ve had my account for so long, I think they overlooked that for me.

In fact, I’ve got a family plan and have $2500 worth of phones financed, they’ve got almost too much faith in me, lol.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the plans can be bad tho, esp in Canada. a number of third party resellers are popping up with better deals these days but it’s basically impossible to get a good plan on contract with one of the majors; you have to choose one of the expensive ones, so it’s still cheaper here to buy outright and go elsewhere depending on your needs

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
yeah, you really gotta do the math. in my case at&t is cheaper than just buying a phone and going with a mvno with all the lines i got when i deduct all the installments. you also get priority on their network, which does add value. also the sales and support staff is better since i'm technically on a business account. at&t has u.s. and philippines based customer service, but when you dial 611 you're much more likely to be routed to the u.s. call centers if you're a business account.

the mvno's support staffs are awful from what i've heard as suspected. i mean, what would you expect from ULTRA wireless by Circle K or whatever? i hear straight talk is decent, but gently caress wal-mart. how bad could your customer service be when you're getting dunked on by at&t of all companies?

and i read a bit about both canadian internet and wireless on these forums and it sounds like hell on earth. i know the u.s. is a vast land for networks to cover, with both lovely consumer protections and downright consumer hostile regulations, but canada still manages to be so much worse, it's not even funny. i guess it's hard when you've got on tenth the population and barely any market competition but still got all that square mileage to cover, so that kind of money isn't exactly pouring in for network improvements and customer service.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Laslow posted:

yeah, you really gotta do the math. in my case at&t is cheaper than just buying a phone and going with a mvno with all the lines i got when i deduct all the installments. you also get priority on their network, which does add value. also the sales and support staff is better since i'm technically on a business account. at&t has u.s. and philippines based customer service, but when you dial 611 you're much more likely to be routed to the u.s. call centers if you're a business account.

the mvno's support staffs are awful from what i've heard as suspected. i mean, what would you expect from ULTRA wireless by Circle K or whatever? i hear straight talk is decent, but gently caress wal-mart. how bad could your customer service be when you're getting dunked on by at&t of all companies?

and i read a bit about both canadian internet and wireless on these forums and it sounds like hell on earth. i know the u.s. is a vast land for networks to cover, with both lovely consumer protections and downright consumer hostile regulations, but canada still manages to be so much worse, it's not even funny. i guess it's hard when you've got on tenth the population and barely any market competition but still got all that square mileage to cover, so that kind of money isn't exactly pouring in for network improvements and customer service.

for what its worth, i use puretalk, an att mvno, and they have their own us-based support that has been pretty decent for me. limited hours, though

also i like that they support tethering and visual voicemail, which many cheap mvnos dont

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

how does a provider disable tethering if you use an unlocked phone

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fart simpson posted:

i dunno, the toggle wasnt there before for me, but also im not jailbreaking or anything like that

then again i was on a p old version of ios before, so maybe thats the difference. do all carriers embrace that now?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

liked the original iphone the most. thread rated 1

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the best phone is back up for sale on apple dot com

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

fart simpson posted:

the best phone is back up for sale on apple dot com

they weren’t selling the iPhone XS on the apple website? :confused:

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
the iPhone XR is the best

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
again, it's been established that the iphone 4s with ios 5 is the best phone and is not currently being sold anywhere so please stop saying otherwise

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just bought an iphone 4 with a cracked back as the dispensary phone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fart simpson posted:

beats the hell out of me but verizon kills it on my decade old grandfathered unlimited data plan regardless of os or manufacturer of phone.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I love my SE, but it only supports one of three of my carrier’s LTE bands.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

i do miss those chamfers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

i do miss those chamfers

On the 5 at least they were bad because the color rubbed off on them.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I phone 8+

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

akadajet posted:

it’s patina

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

im lookin at my 5 and no, not really

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i love some visible wear on my well-used things v:shobon:v

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Lazyhound posted:

it’s patina
it's character.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i broke my 6 but now i have a 6s and its even better and i love it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
post the griptape

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I had a thing goin for a while where I'd put gaffer tape on my phone for grip and it was pretty good but after a few weeks it gets kinda grody

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
looked pretty good for the first week or so tho, got kind of a tweed suit vibe to it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
glue some hemp to your phone

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

bespoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored