Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

One nifty thing I like is that when you get magic power lines setup you can actually see the transmission leylines spark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Is there hotkeys for raising and lowering builds?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Building stuff up high? Not that I know of. I just build a scaffold in the center of where I want the building. You just need a single scaffold tile at the height you want in the very center of the 3x3 building and it will place the other 8 tiles for you. And yes, if you haven't noticed every building is either 1x1 or 3x3.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't really moved or updated my town center yet but I need to. All the road junctions make wagons getting to market look like a game of pacman where one suddenly reverses direction when it finds out its on the same bridge as another wagon in the way.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, definitely build any path for wagons at least two tiles wide. I'd set the production buildings a tile back from the paths too, so wagons waiting to pick up or deliver don't block the path.

I initially put my markets by the river, in the expectation I'd be able to use boats to transport goods. Turns out you can't. On the other hand, it meant later I had lots of free space for rail delivery.

I do hope transport boats get added though, they'd be great for river-heavy maps.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Kind of odd that once you have a market no one ever has to actually get to a house, so you can just plop them anywhere in the markets' radius.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Including stacking them on top of each other in a horrible hell tower.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

zedprime posted:

I haven't really moved or updated my town center yet but I need to. All the road junctions make wagons getting to market look like a game of pacman where one suddenly reverses direction when it finds out its on the same bridge as another wagon in the way.

After 1000+ hours in factorio I apparently can't think in 3D anymore. Paths going over other paths or even over buildings? What is this sorcery?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bernardo Orel posted:

After 1000+ hours in factorio I apparently can't think in 3D anymore. Paths going over other paths or even over buildings? What is this sorcery?
Those are important bridge designs do not steal!!!

I hope a Rollercoaster Tycoon control gets added for paths and stuff because there are tricks you can do to help build elevated stuff and they generally work but its not exactly intuitive.

Some of the things you get encouraged to do for natural resources: these workers may one day escape their iron prison but I'll probaly just hem them in further with new tracks if they aren't made redundant by a mine and sent to work in the sweatshops.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Embarrassingly I spent about 10 minutes yesterday playing all sorts of conveyor height and placement games trying to figure out how to get the food market to accept my belt of apple pies.

Apple pies need to go to a specialty shop

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

zedprime posted:

Those are important bridge designs do not steal!!!

I hope a Rollercoaster Tycoon control gets added for paths and stuff because there are tricks you can do to help build elevated stuff and they generally work but its not exactly intuitive.

Some of the things you get encouraged to do for natural resources: these workers may one day escape their iron prison but I'll probaly just hem them in further with new tracks if they aren't made redundant by a mine and sent to work in the sweatshops.

... what the gently caress, workers can deposit items into chutes directly? WHY DID I NEVER TRY THIS OH MY loving GOD

edit: although you have to manually tell a worker to harvest from a resource and deposit into the chute. can't wait for mass select and ordering.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 17, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ambaire posted:

... what the gently caress, workers can deposit items into chutes directly? WHY DID I NEVER TRY THIS OH MY loving GOD

edit: although you have to manually tell a worker to harvest from a resource and deposit into the chute. can't wait for mass select and ordering.

Yup! Though what's really nice is once you get a metal forge set up you get silos to put at the end of those chutes. Great for storing a backlog...or when you get the excavator carts that touch a deposit twice then come back with 12 iron.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Thing that annoys me in video game: I spent like 20 minutes searching for the water temple on my map, after buying full map access. Since the temples can't be made by the player, it'd be really nice to have some way of easily pinpointing where they are on the map

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Thing that annoys me in video game: I spent like 20 minutes searching for the water temple on my map, after buying full map access. Since the temples can't be made by the player, it'd be really nice to have some way of easily pinpointing where they are on the map

Don't click on them when you reveal them and they won't stop shining?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Map markers would be cool, though. Mark those temples, mark your production sites, mark whatever you want.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Build a 5 stack barn. Besides being obvious, it can also store 5 barns worth or ploppable shared inventory.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

zedprime posted:

Build a 5 stack barn. Besides being obvious, it can also store 5 barns worth or ploppable shared inventory.

Explain?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

5 barns built directly on top of each other. Not only a very visible beacon, but anything put in them is available for construction, which can be useful when you find new crops, gold, or elemental stones that you might prefer to set up nearer to the places you're using them.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I can place ore that has about 50 units for the cost of 10 units. When they run out they don't vanish, instead they become 'depleted'. Is there something I can do to put more ore in these?

Edit: I can't really work anything out that does it, so I think it might be a future thing.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 19, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think eventually you pump one of the magic essence things into them to recharge them.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

earth shrines do it. also, they only get depleted if mines are using them, regular workers will erase them.

mines will continue to get resources slowly from depleted nodes. you can delete the nodes and make fresh ones as well

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Thanks.

Does the particular type of goods within a category you supply to houses matter, aside from the coins it gives you? Like, should I just supply them with raw grain since it is easiest? Why would I want to make sandwiches?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They also leave the houses satisfied in that category for longer, letting you maintain happiness more easily.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Sillybones posted:

Thanks.

Does the particular type of goods within a category you supply to houses matter, aside from the coins it gives you? Like, should I just supply them with raw grain since it is easiest? Why would I want to make sandwiches?

If you click on a house you'll see a little progress bar. Each upgrade except for level 5 adds another bar. There's one for the grocer, general store, apothecary and then specialty store. When you fulfill a need from a certain store (i.e. dude delivers some wheat to the food market, house accepts it) a progress bar for the market will appear and tick down. Basically the house does a "process" that "costs" negative coins and takes a few seconds to fulfill. Until that process finishes the house can't accept anything else from the food market. Or it can if they're physically delivered (such as via wagon), but it just stockpiles it and make a queue.

So you can totally just shove raw grain into the food market with no real work, but you'll only be adding 10% satisfaction and one coin while still having the exact same cool down (I think about 2 seconds) before the house can accept anything else from the food market. Meanwhile, someone who gives the house grain gets 30% satisfaction and 5 coins for that same 2 second cooldown, or bread for 50% satisfaction/12 coins and Sammiches for 100% satisfaction and [gently caress if I know I haven't ever made them] coins. The higher the satisfaction the longer a house stays happy for the category and provides that happy-point, and the more time you have to pump items in from other categories the food market can provide (meat, dairy, fruits/veggies). Keep in mind that each upgrade of a house also means their satisfaction meter drops 10% faster so tossing more raw grains into the furnace does less and less.

Note that even if the satisfaction meter is full the house will still chomp down greedily on an incoming item for that category if it's queue is empty.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a few weird inflections with the goods above 50% satisfaction where it feels bad to make, sandwiches bring the standout. Most stuff is tracked to one good category or another and the difference between a lower tier item and a higher is some value add step with another ingredient of a similar disposition.

Sandwiches have you take meat, vegetable, and dairy to fluff up a grain. And the meat, vegetables and dairy I'd use don't necessarily need to be from a meat and vegetable supply chain, it still feels like I'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul if I set up sandwiches before my meat and vegetables needs were more fulfilled.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah I'm near the end game with my current game, at least research wise, and have not bothered with Sandwiches. I probably should just for an "I did it" thing but...

Anyways, a quick tip:
Buildings can work on multiple recipes at once. I have a single kitchen outputting both bread and jam into my food market. You can also have a building take care of multiple steps in a chain: I Have a workshop that takes in cotton and herbs, turns the cotton to cloth, then cloth to bandages and finally mixes them with the herbs.

It does cause a slight slowdown, but simplifies things immensely.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

It is a little gate that only lets carts pass if they are 3 seconds behind the previous cart (or what ever number the timer is set to). It is good for spacing the carts evenly and pretty simple.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Has anyone done testing on farms? I mistakenly made a farm with max available tiles, and planted all grain. Even after fertilizing it's not going to produce enough grain for what I want, so I'm guessing the benefit to having such a large farm is you can also place workers in the field to harvest as well, but I'm wondering if there's a later tech to incentivize large, single produce farms?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

This game is real charming and spaghetti in it is actually kind of nice and also I will not stop until my town is a Midgaresque stacking of layer upon blighted layer of industrial interconnects.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chakan posted:

Has anyone done testing on farms? I mistakenly made a farm with max available tiles, and planted all grain. Even after fertilizing it's not going to produce enough grain for what I want, so I'm guessing the benefit to having such a large farm is you can also place workers in the field to harvest as well, but I'm wondering if there's a later tech to incentivize large, single produce farms?

I reached the end of the tech tree and there’s currently no explicit farm upgrade I can see. But there are things that speed buildings up, so you may need more grain tiles to ensure some are always ripe.

Also I’m pretty sure fert and water don’t directly affect yield, they just shorten the growing time. So as long as you always have ripe grain and your farm is constantly outputting, they don’t give any benefit. None that I can tell, anyway.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Water and fertilizer are a recipe, so they slow down harvesting even. Common sentiment is it's not worth it. I build farms in pairs and only one waters and fertilizers but that's 100% for fun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chakan posted:

Farm don't produce more or less grain based on how many farm tiles are around them. The farm tiles are only there to grow crops that the farm harvests at a standard rate, one at a time. I've found that, with water, a farm needs 12 farm tiles max to harvest continuously forever.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Multiple farms can harvest from the same fields. Building more around there will improve your output.
This is an factory game, after all. Never be afraid to add more.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

jokes posted:

Farm don't produce more or less grain based on how many farm tiles are around them. The farm tiles are only there to grow crops that the farm harvests at a standard rate, one at a time. I've found that, with water, a farm needs 12 farm tiles max to harvest continuously forever.

So what does fertilizer do for farms? Right now I'm trying to somehow get this whole Pasture/Farm/Grain Mill thing working but they all somehow feed into eachother. Then there's fertilizer that can be used by farms and without it it looks like the farms aren't replanting tiles that are being harvested.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Farms will harvest from nearby plants.

They can also apply water or fertilizer to those same plants.

Farms just create 1 vegetable every few seconds based on the recipe. As long as a plant is around it can create the 1 (and take it out of the plant)

Once plants hit 0 from supplying a farm they turn into a dormant growing plant. They will take a while to grow. Things grow faster when they are on a farm tile (you can farm natural plants without a farm tile but they are really slow to grow). They also grow faster and consume water and fertilizer if it's been supplied to that specific plant.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The number of tiles you need to keep a farm satisfied changes depending on its harvest speed, which changes as your happiness goes up, if you add additional workers, and uhhh probably if you use the earth booster I guess I don't actually know what that does but I assume it's a speed thing

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I should say, the slowest farm speed I've managed to set it to only needed 6 tiles without fertilizer/water to always be farming.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
I usually end up with using fertilizer only for the construction of new fields and to power my kitches.

Why, yes, i roast cows over their poo poo.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 19, 2019

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I don't even gently caress with fertilizer it's a hassle unless it's absolutely necessary, I just let it stay at 10/10. A single cart delivering fertilizer to your home base will probably leave you with Too Much Fertilizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fertilizer requires an outlet if you're using belts instead of workers. I have it going into a furnace.

It way under supplies the furnace but that alright because it gets rid of the bullshit