Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't understand how any part of this game resembles Banished. I guess the crafting as a city shaped thing? I thought everyone played it for the Malthus demonstration.

The UI is very bad but I don't care, this game simulates discrete manufacturing in a way Factorio and Production Line wish they could. The graphical theme is a city but it's totally a factory and the workshops are benches, the carts are forklifts, the conveyors are material flow systems. I'm getting a little hard just talking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can automate log removal into a sawmill with a forestry building. Once you bulk produce bread the yellow coin tax isn't half bad.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Economic progress is locking people inside buildings and giving them stuff to make them work harder.

Factory Town works the same way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Alkydere posted:

Some of the biggest things that took me a while to figure out:
-You can input a z-level or two above a building's floor, which still lets you have a path underneath.
-You can just drag a line for chutes/conveyors/paths and the game goes "Oh I'll just add the supports for you!" Excellent if the end point you drag to is on scaffolding so you basically mage a bridge and a lot easier than making the path by hand.

Edit: am I doing something wrong or does the Move tool just not work?
The move tool is poorly named. It is a tool for moving loose items (like the wrong products in a chute or belt) into your shared inventory :downs:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Stables and farms can run multiple recipes. It's going to take a shitton of food and be a little interesting to output the goods but you could run milk, meat, and leather in the same farm and as long as it's got enough food and water, the recipes actually run parallel.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I haven't really moved or updated my town center yet but I need to. All the road junctions make wagons getting to market look like a game of pacman where one suddenly reverses direction when it finds out its on the same bridge as another wagon in the way.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bernardo Orel posted:

After 1000+ hours in factorio I apparently can't think in 3D anymore. Paths going over other paths or even over buildings? What is this sorcery?
Those are important bridge designs do not steal!!!

I hope a Rollercoaster Tycoon control gets added for paths and stuff because there are tricks you can do to help build elevated stuff and they generally work but its not exactly intuitive.

Some of the things you get encouraged to do for natural resources: these workers may one day escape their iron prison but I'll probaly just hem them in further with new tracks if they aren't made redundant by a mine and sent to work in the sweatshops.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Build a 5 stack barn. Besides being obvious, it can also store 5 barns worth or ploppable shared inventory.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There's a few weird inflections with the goods above 50% satisfaction where it feels bad to make, sandwiches bring the standout. Most stuff is tracked to one good category or another and the difference between a lower tier item and a higher is some value add step with another ingredient of a similar disposition.

Sandwiches have you take meat, vegetable, and dairy to fluff up a grain. And the meat, vegetables and dairy I'd use don't necessarily need to be from a meat and vegetable supply chain, it still feels like I'd be robbing Peter to pay Paul if I set up sandwiches before my meat and vegetables needs were more fulfilled.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Water and fertilizer are a recipe, so they slow down harvesting even. Common sentiment is it's not worth it. I build farms in pairs and only one waters and fertilizers but that's 100% for fun.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Farms will harvest from nearby plants.

They can also apply water or fertilizer to those same plants.

Farms just create 1 vegetable every few seconds based on the recipe. As long as a plant is around it can create the 1 (and take it out of the plant)

Once plants hit 0 from supplying a farm they turn into a dormant growing plant. They will take a while to grow. Things grow faster when they are on a farm tile (you can farm natural plants without a farm tile but they are really slow to grow). They also grow faster and consume water and fertilizer if it's been supplied to that specific plant.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Grabber with a filter works for 35/36 possible output spots at least. Supposedly grabber with a filter works to override the default output spot but I feel like I've had mixed results.

Efb. You can also use a trough at the default output and you only get grain out because poo poo don't roll.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 20, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Chutes and ladder logic.

Need to spend the weekend figuring out how the logic blocks work so I can make the mine carts run betterer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

zedprime posted:

I haven't really moved or updated my town center yet but I need to. All the road junctions make wagons getting to market look like a game of pacman where one suddenly reverses direction when it finds out its on the same bridge as another wagon in the way.

Not long after this I replaced the city delivery center with a barn depot -> mine cart -> store set up and kept my grid lock out where I had more room to maneuver. A while after I got advanced logistics so I added simple switching to short cut carts back to the depot after dropping off at a store. A really important computation block set up is inventory -> math (>0) -> pusher to switch trains based on inventory - send empty carts back to the depot as soon as you could fit in a switch.

New goal is to set up mine cart loops specific to the depots coming from the workshops and machine shops to try and minimize carts taking up workers. Not because I have to, I'm at like half house capacity. But because it is correct and proper and also I could tie in new supply chains from distant areas. Lusting over magic mine cart tracks to make hills not suck.

This game looks ridiculously good in screenshot and even better in motion.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Magic rails are everything I've dreamed of. My delivery rail circuits are now bumper cars.

The economy is pretty weird. Red, blue, and yellow coins are easy to make, until their aren't because you get a million mines trying to support a burgeoning magic ecosystem and you're suddenly doing the math on how to keep your coin revenue in the black.

e. pictures of spaghetti incoming

The 2 cart loops supplying my markets from depots

This train crash supplies 2 depot barns with junk from the 8 different product supply chains. There's a neat little circuit loop that only sends them down a long dog leg for 2 products if those 2 products are actually in stock enough to justify a mine cart. the dogleg is almost completely obscured by the bridge I'm still using to slowcart bandages over to a medicine workshop.

My mad fire laboratory on top of a mountain. Random generator is cooler than I would ever be.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 24, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You can grabber into a chute. You can also do advanced things with splitters and pushers but the chute building is kind of fiddly to make it work right. But it's building of a sort that you will need to screw with if you go down the mine carts rabbit hole.

My gut is without downhills chutes are metal conveyor fast and with down hills as fast or faster than magic conveyors so any intermediate belts are going to gently caress your throughput up.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Dev considering economy changes that sound like it would make the game more city like: https://steamcommunity.com/app/860890/discussions/0/1813170373213374806/

Current idea is houses need food that is always going to need delivering by something, markets now sell specialty goods for coins and will be boosted by houses, but only so much and a house only counts once so your markets and houses need to be spread around.

Probably a long while out as he continues doing/considering the speed of the quality of life changes and code base prep he's been doing since release. But I'm kind of pumped again because this game thrives on its different layers of logistics and the current end game kind of fizzles out once you start getting saturated mine cart circuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Not yet, the major things added so far are phasing out click and drag worker management and making buildings movable with the move verb. The last one is big but not exactly gonna bring you back in if you've already made cake and sandwiches.