Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Baba is You is a very good, very charming puzzle game released for Mac, Linux, PC, and the Nintendo Switch created by local goon Hempuli. I'd describe it as a logic puzzle dressed as a block-pushing puzzle. This quote from the Baba is You website tells you everything you need to know:

quote:

Baba Is You is a puzzle game where the rules you have to follow are present as physical objects in the game world. By manipulating the rules, you can change how the game works, repurpose things you find in the levels and cause surprising interactions!

Or watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7MJljsoUSo

If you are not sure if you want to pay for Baba is You (even though you totally should), there is a demo of sorts available:

President Ark posted:

It's probably worth putting in the OP that Baba Is You was conceived at a game jam, and the game jam build is still available which serves as a kind of demo for people interested in how it plays.

Spoilers and Puzzle Solutions

Baba is You does not have a story, but maybe spoiler tag puzzle solutions so people can try on their own? :shobon:

If you have trouble with a puzzle, feel free to post here to request hints, or check out this fan-made spoiler-free guide:

https://twitter.com/keyofw/status/1143541066206892032

Testimonials/Fanworks

https://twitter.com/jsketch12/status/1124191211458318336/photo/1

https://twitter.com/doodlemoth/status/1135267521953579008

Leylite posted:

Yep. Hempuli uploaded all the tracks to his YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMoZgWjm14OF2AWFfPc3cyQH7T2SC89jo

The soundtrack is also for sale directly from his website too: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you-soundtrack

tudabee fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

These FORUMS are DEAD and GAY but BABA is GOOD.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I just got this game after all the gushing in the Switch thread and I already feel dumb (the second "secret" lake level :argh:). I love it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This game is great and I would accept a small hint for:

Regy Rusty posted:

Ugh I'm so stumped at the Baba level River-10 with the cog on the other side of hot water. This might be the first one I have to skip and come back to.

Meanwhile fortunately there are many other levels to do, Baba is Love and Life.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
this game is smarter than you are and it's great

important question: is baba a sheep or a rabbit

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

This game is great and I would accept a small hint for:

Meanwhile fortunately there are many other levels to do, Baba is Love and Life.

Sure!

In order of spoilery-ness:

Think about what you can actually manipulate.

Think of the water graphic as just another object with no inherit properties than what it is given through text.

[SINK] is the key thing to think about here. What can it take?

You used [SINK] in a previous level to get rid of something, right? What is truly expendable to open the path, and you don't need again afterwards?

The moment [SINK] becomes active the first time is the moment it must do something.

Text is still an object.

Even after you solve this puzzle, that last spoiler is going to be SUPER important going forward, and you should check it out after you finish the level.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Ark posted:

important question: is baba a sheep or a rabbit

Baba is you.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

oh right how could i forget

e: It's probably worth putting in the OP that Baba Is You was conceived at a game jam, and the game jam build is still available which serves as a kind of demo for people interested in how it plays.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 15, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I thought it was a dog. but ultimately:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

But Crab and Baba is You

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Roluth posted:

Sure!

In order of spoilery-ness:

Think about what you can actually manipulate.

Think of the water graphic as just another object with no inherit properties than what it is given through text.

[SINK] is the key thing to think about here. What can it take?

You used [SINK] in a previous level to get rid of something, right? What is truly expendable to open the path, and you don't need again afterwards?

The moment [SINK] becomes active the first time is the moment it must do something.

Text is still an object.

Even after you solve this puzzle, that last spoiler is going to be SUPER important going forward, and you should check it out after you finish the level.

Hahaha the one part I hadn't thought of isn't even actually a part of your hint, but it still helped me The whole destroying text thing I got but then I was still fixated on the idea that I needed 4 objects to push the flag word through the skulls, when in reality all i needed was one... COG is SINK

Thank you

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Also, here's an example of the sort of galaxy brain horseshit you can do in this game (minor spoilers for a (easy) puzzle):

https://clips.twitch.tv/AntsyInspiringStarlingPeoplesChamp

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Hahaha the one part I hadn't thought of isn't even actually a part of your hint, but it still helped me The whole destroying text thing I got but then I was still fixated on the idea that I needed 4 objects to push the flag word through the skulls, when in reality all i needed was one... COG is SINK

Thank you

I identified that part immediately, but getting me to destroy text was still a hard sell at that point. Can't wait to see what the rest of the game has!

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

President Ark posted:

oh right how could i forget

e: It's probably worth putting in the OP that Baba Is You was conceived at a game jam, and the game jam build is still available which serves as a kind of demo for people interested in how it plays.

Added, thank you!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Baba is Masterpiece
That is All

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

--------SJM
BABA Is GOOD and FUN
--------GLAD
--------and
--------:allears:

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

hey are you actually baba in this game cause i am setsuna utterly lied about that

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got into the sunken palace 2 and gently caress YOU JELLYFISH

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Merilan posted:

hey are you actually baba in this game cause i am setsuna utterly lied about that

You misunderstand, YOU are not BABA, BABA is YOU. Well, sometimes ROCK is YOU, or ROBOT is YOU. But often BABA is YOU.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Merilan posted:

Sometimes BABA is not YOU, but other times there are many BABAs and all of them are YOU, so it balances out.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 15, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

YOU is ABSTRACT

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm already stuck in the Lake level 2, "Turns".

SINK lets you pass things with DESTROY, so I got the CRAB word out, but I can't do anything with it. Yes I can turn any object into any other object and control whether it's PUSH or not, but that's it. It's a dead end. There will always be a CRAB or ROCK or STAR outside of the level that I can't interact with, and BABA is YOU seems to be an immutable rule.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LifeLynx posted:

I'm already stuck in the Lake level 2, "Turns".

SINK lets you pass things with DESTROY, so I got the CRAB word out, but I can't do anything with it. Yes I can turn any object into any other object and control whether it's PUSH or not, but that's it. It's a dead end. There will always be a CRAB or ROCK or STAR outside of the level that I can't interact with, and BABA is YOU seems to be an immutable rule.

If getting CRAB out isn't the answer, maybe you need to get something else in there instead.

BABA is YOU isn't quite as immutable here as it might seem. You can't move the text, but you can add on to the beginning of it.

The rule you need is: CRAB and BABA is YOU.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Rethink your final sentence. [spoiler]You can be more than you are[/spoiler]

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

I got into the sunken palace 2 and gently caress YOU JELLYFISH

Hint time!

So, pre-placing the rock inside the flag room isn't going to work. But there's something different about the entrance...

You're going to need to sneak something inside that room AFTER the crab is DEFEAT. You can't push in the object by itself, but....

TEXT is always PUSH.

Make redundant text and use it to help push an inert object inside the room, then make it YOU.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I haven't played a puzzle game in so long I forgot the rule of not playing them when I'm exhausted because it will just lead to me looking up the answers online and feeling dumb.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

gmq posted:

I just got this game after all the gushing in the Switch thread and I already feel dumb (the second "secret" lake level :argh:). I love it.
This one had me stumped for so long but once you get it it teaches you such an important unstated rule going forward. At least, that was the first time I learned it, or at least really grasped how it could be used.

I can't imagine the minds that had to be present to make this game considering how difficult/fun it is just to solve it.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Tiny Pond broke my brain for a bit, this game is nuts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I said this in the switch thread but my favorite mechanic is still the BABA is BABA one, his existence is immutable do not dare to meddle, mortals.

I got completely stumped on a bunch of levels in the Fall zone but then plowed right through the Temple so hopefully i'll make better progress in the other one later.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
fittingly, the level I'm completely stuck on is 'Prison'

anyone got a hint?

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Your Computer posted:

anyone got a hint?
Usual progressive spoilers:

One way or the other, that (WALL) {IS} [STOP] has to go.

Have you ever gotten objects to overlap before? That's key to breaking up the WALL code.

MOVE is completely redundant, but (KEKE) is not.

(KEKE) {IS} (BABA)

There's a very particular set up for your two Babas.
SOLUTION:

Set up one Baba on top of the WALL code, the other on bottom. Move in one direction (this overlaps one part of the code on one of the Babas), then move the other direction (this breaks the code)

Roluth fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 15, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roluth posted:

Who says you have to open the door with the key?

When objects with CLOSE and OPEN collide, both are removed.
not the right level, unfortunately

it's Island-11

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Your Computer posted:

not the right level, unfortunately

it's Island-11

Edited my last post. Realized it at the last moment.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Your Computer posted:

anyone got a hint?

This is a hard one to give simple hints for, so read this at your own caution.

WALL IS STOP isn't as immutable as it seems

You're going to need to have two things be YOU

What would happen if there was one Baba above WALL and one Baba below STOP and you tried to move up or down?

Move IS into place before moving KEKE into place

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Roluth posted:

Edited my last post. Realized it at the last moment.
heck yea, thanks! got it after the second hint - I never even thought about that and as soon as I experimented with it I solved it :v:

this game is the best

creationist believer posted:

This is a hard one to give simple hints for, so read this at your own caution.
I got it seconds before your post but thank you anyway :3:

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
What's everyone's favorite level so far? I like Garden-6 (Got All This Stuff Here), admittedly maybe because it's prob the most complex level I've solved without needing any hints so I got to feel real smart :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
BABA is BRAIN and MELT

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Zyxyz posted:

What's everyone's favorite level so far? I like Garden-6 (Got All This Stuff Here), admittedly maybe because it's prob the most complex level I've solved without needing any hints so I got to feel real smart :v:
Probably the early one with the crab and this-

Regy Rusty posted:

I said this in the switch thread but my favorite mechanic is still the BABA is BABA one, his existence is immutable do not dare to meddle, mortals.
I'm still early in but that one is both adorable and I felt smart when I figured it out thanks to the FLAG is FLAG bit from an earlier level.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zyxyz posted:

But Where's The Key, hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think I'm overthinking Ruins-10, "Further Fields." All of my ideas keep coming back to needing to set up KEKE IS PUSH so that one of the Babas pushes Keke onto the other side of the grass while KEKE isn't YOU, and then have another one of the Babas cause KEKE to be YOU again. But that's so fiddly to set up that I'm not sure it's even possible.