Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Tau Wedel has it right; all objects have a facing direction, but these directional words are separate entities from each other so the way they affect objects isn't related to the direction they're facing. I've considered changing that but right now the facing direction of words isn't accounted for in the rule system and changing that would take some work.

Snake Maze posted:

I think just having above/below as shown is better than any of the suggested arrow words. It has the same clunky grammar as the rest of the game, but the other suggestions don’t read as a sentence at all. Personally I think maintaining that consistent aesthetic (and having rules be at least somewhat parseable in English) is more important that covering every variant of the same behavior.

I kinda agree, tbh, but I also usually like implementing options people request if they're reasonably easy to add. I've wondered if adding "Beside" so that it works both to the left and to the right would work - it'd be different from Above & Below but possibly in an interesting way!

I streamed tonight and got a lot done! One new thing added was the word Feeling:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hempuli posted:

I streamed tonight and got a lot done! One new thing added was the word Feeling:

Baba Is You has irrevocably damaged my brain, so when seeing that, I immediately wondered how this would work with TEXT and PUSH

I mean, it could be that FEELING generally is a check if objects of a type have a trait, usually given by rules on-screen. So if I have KEKE IS PUSH, the combination KEKE FEELING PUSH IS BABA would turn every Keke into Baba, right? Assuming FEELING is not restricted to the color traits only.

But TEXT seems to have PUSH implicitly - I can push them around without any TEXT IS PUSH rules on-screen, after all. So would TEXT FEELING PUSH IS (...) have an effect?

That is an absolutely adorable little gif, by the way :3:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I sorta wish there was an easter egg room in the game that contained all of the innate rules, just as a meta explanation for where those rules are "coming from". Like a closed off area that has TEXT is PUSH EVERYWHERE and TEXT is NOT ALL EVERYWHERE. And it'd be fine if the rules were inaccessible and "EVERYWHERE" didn't even actually do anything, it'd just all be for the sake of... worldbuilding, I guess. That said, this game is a rabbit hole of potential and the very bottom is representing the entirety of the game's code with THING is THING rules, so... I'm not too torn up about those couple invisible rules.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Baba Is You has irrevocably damaged my brain, so when seeing that, I immediately wondered how this would work with TEXT and PUSH

I mean, it could be that FEELING generally is a check if objects of a type have a trait, usually given by rules on-screen. So if I have KEKE IS PUSH, the combination KEKE FEELING PUSH IS BABA would turn every Keke into Baba, right? Assuming FEELING is not restricted to the color traits only.

But TEXT seems to have PUSH implicitly - I can push them around without any TEXT IS PUSH rules on-screen, after all. So would TEXT FEELING PUSH IS (...) have an effect?

That is an absolutely adorable little gif, by the way :3:

Thanks! :)

Yeah, this is something I've been unsure about myself. A similar problem appears with the word "Mimic" which makes an object X copy rules from object Y. If you say "Baba Mimic Text", does Baba become Push even though the rule is implicit? Even more odd is if you say "Baba Mimic Level", because for technical reasons "Level Is Stop" is another implicit rule. At the moment I've decided to let those interactions happen and hope it doesn't cause too many problems.

Pigbuster posted:

I sorta wish there was an easter egg room in the game that contained all of the innate rules, just as a meta explanation for where those rules are "coming from". Like a closed off area that has TEXT is PUSH EVERYWHERE and TEXT is NOT ALL EVERYWHERE. And it'd be fine if the rules were inaccessible and "EVERYWHERE" didn't even actually do anything, it'd just all be for the sake of... worldbuilding, I guess. That said, this game is a rabbit hole of potential and the very bottom is representing the entirety of the game's code with THING is THING rules, so... I'm not too torn up about those couple invisible rules.

This'd be a pretty funny thing to have tucked somewhere! Thanks for the suggestion.

Here're some other new things added recently:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hempuli posted:

Thanks! :)

Yeah, this is something I've been unsure about myself. A similar problem appears with the word "Mimic" which makes an object X copy rules from object Y. If you say "Baba Mimic Text", does Baba become Push even though the rule is implicit? Even more odd is if you say "Baba Mimic Level", because for technical reasons "Level Is Stop" is another implicit rule. At the moment I've decided to let those interactions happen and hope it doesn't cause too many problems.

This'd be a pretty funny thing to have tucked somewhere! Thanks for the suggestion.

Here're some other new things added recently:

Hmm... did that rule formed ignore the GEM part and just turn Baba into a Crystal?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

McFrugal posted:

Hmm... did that rule formed ignore the GEM part and just turn Baba into a Crystal?

It's just BABA IS CRYSTALS [GEM]. The word gem is just ineffectually sitting there after the sentence.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's just BABA IS CRYSTALS [GEM]. The word gem is just ineffectually sitting there after the sentence.
I kind of assumed from the context that CRYSTAL was a modifier applied to GEM, and that there may be other objects with crystalline forms.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah, note how GEM doesn’t become brighter like the other words do.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Ariong posted:

Yeah, note how GEM doesn’t become brighter like the other words do.
Oh yeah!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Yeah, Gem refers to the generic diamond-shaped object in the middle, and "Baba Is Crystal Gem" turns Baba into Crystal, with the Gem being there just for extra effect.

Some more absolutely crucial features were added today:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
code:
TRA   IS   TO
IN         OT

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Introducing the word CHOO

It does nothing, unless you've got two in a row

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1272555592914276352

Happy pride month!

Development has progressed pretty nicely, and some days ago I realized for the first time how close we actually are to having the editor be feature-complete! Tutorials and such will take their time, but it's nice to get a sense that something could soon be finished, at least in some sense of the word!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hempuli posted:

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1272555592914276352

Happy pride month!

Development has progressed pretty nicely, and some days ago I realized for the first time how close we actually are to having the editor be feature-complete! Tutorials and such will take their time, but it's nice to get a sense that something could soon be finished, at least in some sense of the word!

So, like, what's actually going on under the hood in this image? We've got lots of colours with AND, and I figure the mutual exclusivity there is handled by having the colours cycle every step, but what determines which Baba is which set of colours?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fedule posted:

So, like, what's actually going on under the hood in this image? We've got lots of colours with AND, and I figure the mutual exclusivity there is handled by having the colours cycle every step, but what determines which Baba is which set of colours?

There are multiple different Babas in there - I changed the sprites to be the same but under-the-hood the different "Baba"-words refer to only a certain subsets of Babas in the level. So you can think of it as if the Baba-words were actually called something like Baba1, Baba2 etc., and the Babas on the dance floor were similarly titled Baba1, Baba2 etc. I feel that having the Babas look identical works best with the intention of the tweet.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Baba is included in the Humble Fight for Racial Justice Bundle! Includes also games like Spelunky, Hyper Light Drifter, FTL and more, plus topic-relevant books.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Dang, it's been a while again! :O As usual things have taken longer than one'd expect, but progress has been made (mainly on fixing bugs, but hey, that's something!) The editor is still pretty close to being done (there's one really aggravating bug I need to investigate, though), and we've concentrated a bit on getting the game up and running on mobile. There's still a bunch of stuff to do there, but a mobile version should be feasible sometime relatively soon.

In other news, Succinct_and_Punchy from these very forums will be speedrunning Baba Is You at SGDQ next month! That's cool! Speedrunning Baba is apparently finger-crushing.

Here're some pics of past things:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Excellent train. I wonder what rules enable it!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Excellent train. I wonder what rules enable it!

I had implemented the word "Follow" (i.e. Baba Follow Keke) in the game even before release, but I didn't end up using it because it was a bit inconsistent/uninteresting as a puzzle element. I recently updated its code to be more coherent, and while I still don't think it'll be that amazing as a puzzle element, it'll now allow for some fun contraptions.

I recently counted and the game now has about ~170 upcoming levels, shared between the "unused levels" levelpack and "new levels" levelpack. I'm starting to worry that the somewhat faster development pace I've had to keep up might end up meaning that these upcoming levels are way weaker than the ones in the base game, but we'll see. It'd definitely be unfortunate to introduce a whole bunch of levels to the game and then realize that they retroactively make the game worse.

KNR
May 3, 2009
Nice, 170 is a huge expansion.

For unused levels in particular, I remember it being an issue in many DROD holds (level packs), that feature post-game areas with bonus unused puzzles. It's one thing if the puzzle was removed because it was too difficult or didn't fit thematically, but a puzzle removed because it was too tedious is probably better off staying gone.

Some holds put in their bad unused puzzles with additional features added allowing you to skip the tedious parts, as a development showcase without making the player feel like they're expected to do the puzzle.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Hempuli posted:

I recently counted and the game now has about ~170 upcoming levels, shared between the "unused levels" levelpack and "new levels" levelpack.
Nice, that's massive. Looking forward to exploring those.

I don't think it should be that big an issue if the "rougher drafts/concepts" are properly marked as such and aren't rigid progression gates (and possible excluded from 100% completion collectibles).

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

170 is good. I'll play 170 levels with various new words to play around with.

After that, I will play a million user-generated levels, most of them infinitely worse, and I will shed a single Baba-shaped tear

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

170 is good. I'll play 170 levels with various new words to play around with.

After that, I will play a million user-generated levels, most of them infinitely worse, and I will shed a single Baba-shaped tear

I feel that TEAR is BABA might have unforeseen consequences. Somewhere, someone tears a piece of paper in half and is now holding their paper AND a BABA. Or perhaps the torn paper would spawn infinite BABAs?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

KNR posted:

For unused levels in particular, I remember it being an issue in many DROD holds (level packs), that feature post-game areas with bonus unused puzzles. It's one thing if the puzzle was removed because it was too difficult or didn't fit thematically, but a puzzle removed because it was too tedious is probably better off staying gone.

I've been "fixing" some of the levels to make them more interesting to play; I think I'm going to intentionally leave a couple somewhat more busyworkish levels to illustrate design difficulties, but if all goes well the levels should've been touched up a bit to remove the worst bits of tedium. I've also been adding small bits of commentary to the unused levels - that might make the experience more inviting, too.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
CASH RULES ALL NEAR BABA

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

GO  LO  BA
ON  VE  BA

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Hempuli posted:

I've also been adding small bits of commentary to the unused levels - that might make the experience more inviting, too.

great, now I'm looking forward to this even more

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Hempuli posted:

I've been "fixing" some of the levels to make them more interesting to play; I think I'm going to intentionally leave a couple somewhat more busyworkish levels to illustrate design difficulties, but if all goes well the levels should've been touched up a bit to remove the worst bits of tedium. I've also been adding small bits of commentary to the unused levels - that might make the experience more inviting, too.

Thanks for the kind comments :)

Sounds great, I'm looking forward to it.

I love the dollar sign in ca$h, makes it look extra extravagant.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Haha, thanks :D

I added bees to the game!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

Haha, thanks :D

I added bees to the game!

ALL BEE is GOOD.

What would happen if CART didn't have MOVE? I was assuming that FOLLOW was basically just a more-specific PULL but that's clearly not the case.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

ALL BEE is GOOD.

What would happen if CART didn't have MOVE? I was assuming that FOLLOW was basically just a more-specific PULL but that's clearly not the case.

Follow only affects an object's facing direction; the rule "Cart Follow Train" without Move would mean that the Carts turn to face the Train closest to them every turn.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
If the train was facing the other way, would that little loop-de-loop actually work, or is that just a cosmetic thing?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

President Ark posted:

If the train was facing the other way, would that little loop-de-loop actually work, or is that just a cosmetic thing?

It would! I made it so that if you have the rule X Follow Y and there's an X right next to multiple Y's, the X will prefer the Y that requires the least amount of turning; so no matter which way the Train was going, it would keep following the Track neatly. I originally implemented Follow before the game's release, but never used it for anything because it felt so arbitrary/chaotic; these changes have made it much more predictable (at least in cases of direct adjacency), and I'm really happy about that and might actually try to create a puzzle with them now!

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Just watched the speedrun, goddamn.

Also a very generous donation Hempuli!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That speedrun was pure magic :allears:

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Thank you very much! :) It was amazing to see Punchy run the game, very grateful for that.

So yeah, Baba was run at the SGDQ online event earlier today! It was very cool to see. In other Baba news, the game is still coming together as usual - a nice small milestone was that a couple days ago I managed to add commentary to most levels in the Museum levelpack! So unless something unexpected happens, that part of the new update might be done for good. Still adding more levels to the New Adventures, and the editor keeps looming in the "kinda almost done but there's still a billion things do" territory, as it has for so many months now.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Is there any sort of timeframe when the dlc might come out? As in, is it likely to be this year or clearly far enough away to be 2021 territory?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Here's the VOD of the run for everybody like me who missed it live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdEnUHxy0CQ

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The BABA Twitter just shared this:

https://twitter.com/hopotion/status/1298211299369848832

This is really cool, it feels like a DROD puzzle. The one thing that makes me sad about this game is that the more complicated a level you want to make, the less non-rule space you have to work with. I realize that's the whole point of the game, but it does make me wonder if there's a way to make rules more compact. Making a level's rules active inside a different level somehow? I'm not sure how I feel about that, even though it's sorta similar to that suggestion I made a while ago to have the hardcoded rules represented somewhere. The difference is that that'd just be an easter egg, while having actual important rules on another level actually raises concerns. At that point it'd be little different to using BABA as YOU as a game creation tool. Though that... sounds pretty great, honestly. It really has potential as an early learning tool for programming (it already is, tbh).

Yes, I just came up with an idea and then immediately criticized that same idea. This game just kinda does that to me, it has so much potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

This is really cool, it feels like a DROD puzzle. The one thing that makes me sad about this game is that the more complicated a level you want to make, the less non-rule space you have to work with. I realize that's the whole point of the game, but it does make me wonder if there's a way to make rules more compact. Making a level's rules active inside a different level somehow? I'm not sure how I feel about that, even though it's sorta similar to that suggestion I made a while ago to have the hardcoded rules represented somewhere. The difference is that that'd just be an easter egg, while having actual important rules on another level actually raises concerns. At that point it'd be little different to using BABA as YOU as a game creation tool. Though that... sounds pretty great, honestly. It really has potential as an early learning tool for programming (it already is, tbh).

Yes, I just came up with an idea and then immediately criticized that same idea. This game just kinda does that to me, it has so much potential.

Yeah, it's a shame that increased complexity in the level structures also limit the level space, not to mention make the whole scene more chaotic and hard to parse. This is in a way handy for me because it helps mask the fact that large contraptions don't run especially well, but it'd definitely be nice to have e.g. Minecraft-esque "command blocks" that could have their own rules within them, out of view.

I've been feeling like streaming and have streamed on 4 days in a row now; it's been very positive for the game's progress, although I've been avoiding some tough to-do points such as tutorials for the level editor. However, in today's stream I added this QoL thing that lets you type on your keyboard to add/select objects to/in your level:

https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1299230004421812224