Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Problem description: My computer turns on in that the power button LED turns on and all the fans spin up, but I get no picture and a "no signal, entering power save mode" message on the display, which is notably different from the "no cable" message I get if it's unplugged or set to the wrong input. There's no beep code. My mobo has no display output to bypass the GPU.

Attempted fixes:
Pressing F2/F8/F10 at boot to try to get to some kind of menu (can't see whether this worked but didn't fix the issue)
Leaving the PC running in case it's churning through some kind of weird driver breaking update
Swapping cable and input setting from DP to DVI for my primary display (Dell U3014)
Unplugging my secondary display (BenQ 2400WD)
Unplugging my primary display and attempting to use only the secondary
As above but using a different DVI cable with both
Connecting a third and separate display (same error)
Checking the power connectors on my GPU, though the fans are running
Reseating the GPU
Swapping the GPU out (for a 9800 GT but one which should still work)

Recent changes: None.

--

Operating system: Windows 7

System specs: i5-2500K, R9 280X, 8GB RAM, Asus P8P67 (B3) mobo

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

So you can't even see a motherboard splash screen? It isn't a driver issue in that case but definitely hardware.

If so, I'd try taking one stick of RAM out of the motherboard and see if that helps. Try each stick individually.

Also, disconnect all HDs/SSDs and other drives etc. temporarily.

Also, what is the PSU and how old is it? There's a chance the PSU is failing and the GPUs aren't able to run properly.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I didn't have even splash screens, yeah, and I got this working by swapping my GPU to the other PCIE slot in the end, so it seems like some kind of failure there.

Weirdly I'm seeing poor performance since, including some choppy playback on Twitch and YouTube, but if I close Firefox games run okay so not sure what that's about or if it's related. In any case I can use my computer again :toot:

The whole system is something like 7 years old now so I'm looking to replace it once the AMD 3000 series is out.