Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They probably wanted to have Maximus fight lions but could only get tigers. I would have appreciated it if Ridley Scott had gone full crazy megalomaniac and ordered the make-up people dye out the stripes and stick huge ridiculous wigs on the tigers' heads. That would've been true Hollywood magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It obviously isn't perfect but it's about as good a movie about that kind of thing we can ever realistically hope for. If they made it today they probably would have twisted it more and made Saladin a bloodthirsty savage or something.

That would be a bit weird. But I'd still like a movie or series that dealt with Saladin's rise to power om Egypt and how he spent years subjugating rival Muslim powers before turning to Jerusalem, with his position always being very precarious. Particularly the seizing power in Egypt part is interesting because even people with an interesting in the history of the Crusades and the Islamic world are often unaware of how you went from the Fatimid Caliphate to Saladin's Sunni sultanate and tend to just gloss over it. It's actually a fascinating story of politicking between Crusaders, Turkish Syrian dynasts and internal factions in the tottering Fatimid Caliphate which ended up with a Kurdish officer from a Turkish (Nur ad-Din, the ruler of Aleppo) occupation army seizing power and going into business for himself.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I dunno man... "Trouble with Scotland, is that its full of Scots". Proceeds to make law to gently caress the Scottish (literally) so that there wont be scots anymore. Thats pretty good villainy.

No, not the archers. Arrows cost money. Send in the Irish. The dead cost nothing.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I enjoyed both as my friends movie night choices. How about full metal jacket or saving Private Ryan?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar posted:

I enjoyed both as my friends movie night choices. How about full metal jacket or saving Private Ryan?

Those are very different movies. I like both though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Edgar posted:

I always have to remind myself that the movie doesn't end after bootcamp in FMJ. Imho the rest is very forgettable.

saving private ryan is pretty good but fury replaced it as my favorite WW2 movie.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'd say braveheart, because many people actually believe it was an accurate historical account, somehow. and that's hilarious.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Icochet posted:

IIRC Rome had some kind of imperial thing going on so people of italian descent could maybe be found in Spain.

Ah yes the enormously different looking Spanish and Italian people.

It obviously isn't perfect but it's about as good a movie about that kind of thing we can ever realistically hope for. If they made it today they probably would have twisted it more and made Saladin a bloodthirsty savage or something.

That movie came out in 2005.... so uh, what?

Grape fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 16, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Grape posted:

That movie came out in 2005.... so uh, what?

attitudes and movies in general have changed in the last 14 years, believe it or not.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Randarkman posted:

He doesn't look or sound Roman either so who cares.

..... because he's from spain

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Twat McTwatterson posted:

well acccctually, spain wasn't known as spain until much later

so we're all wrong+dumb

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

well acccctually, spain wasn't known as spain until much later

so we're all wrong+dumb

They called it Hispania. That means Spain.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Randarkman posted:

They called it Hispania. That means Spain.

but the term spaniard wasn't used back then. trust me, i googled it and trusted the first thing i read that said it was dumb that they called him spaniard in gladiator

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

but the term spaniard wasn't used back then. trust me, i googled it and trusted the first thing i read that said it was dumb that they called him spaniard in gladiator

No they spoke Latin. The movie is in English where words are different.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Randarkman posted:

No they spoke Latin. The movie is in English where words are different.

that's a dumb argument though.

so is mine, but it's dumb.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

tetsuo posted:

Gladiator for the superier Hans Zimmer soundtrack instead of the mawkish bleatings of James Horner in Braveheart.

Also Gladiator got references in the Sopranos

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

attitudes and movies in general have changed in the last 14 years, believe it or not.

You're talking like the movie came out before 9/11 and would thus be different now that islamophobia is a big thing. I don't know if you remember the Bush years but uh...

Twat McTwatterson posted:

He doesn't look like a person from a Southern Europe. There, are we done lol.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Grape posted:

You're talking like the movie came out before 9/11 and would thus be different now that islamophobia is a big thing. I don't know if you remember the Bush years but uh...

I was just saying I wouldn't be surprised if they went that direction, not that they definitely would. I said "probably" because I think more directors than not would go with a less ambiguous message of "christian good, muslim bad". Not to say that Scott did some heroic thing by portraying him that way or anything.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
1. Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
1. Master and Commander
3. Braveheart
4. Gladiator

Braveheart takes it's time developing everything and is atmospheric while Gladiator is more straightforward with its story. Mel is a poo poo person obsessed with graphic violence but he makes exceptional movies. I think Kingdom of Heaven is Ridley's best movie (not his most notable, that's Alien/Prometheus) even if it has a very modern perspective and sets things through that lens and its my favorite on the list.

Master and Commander is the superior one out of that list. It's got a great slice of life of these sailors and establishes everything so well, has good tension and naval action scenes. It lives in the setting, the performances are good, the score is great, it's a challenging film to make and they do a great job with it.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Randarkman posted:

He doesn't look or sound Roman either so who cares.

At this point in Roman history (~180CE, death of Marcus Aurelius), Hispania Ulterior and Hispania Citerior have been Provincae for approximately 400 years (end of 2nd punic war 200BCE)

Now you know where the word "provincial" got its stank, because Romans in Rome didn't even like Romans who weren't from Rome

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I wish there were more movies like master and commander and I hate when people I recommend it to whine that it's too slow. By modern standards it's not even THAT long, and there are no parts that I thought "yeah they could cut this and it would be just as good or better". It's just solid the whole way through.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gatts posted:

1. Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut
1. Master and Commander
3. Braveheart
4. Gladiator

Braveheart takes it's time developing everything and is atmospheric while Gladiator is more straightforward with its story. Mel is a poo poo person obsessed with graphic violence but he makes exceptional movies. I think Kingdom of Heaven is Ridley's best movie (not his most notable, that's Alien/Prometheus) even if it has a very modern perspective and sets things through that lens and its my favorite on the list.

Master and Commander is the superior one out of that list. It's got a great slice of life of these sailors and establishes everything so well, has good tension and naval action scenes. It lives in the setting, the performances are good, the score is great, it's a challenging film to make and they do a great job with it.

You must be insane. Alien blows KoH out of the water and is easily a GOAT.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Alien was good but if I was grabbing a ridley scott movie to watch again today I'd never reach for it. It just feels kind of dated to me.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The only reason Alien is kind of stale for me is that I've seen it about 50 times. I was obsessed with Alien/Aliens as a kid. I still think the sets look incredible today.

Either way I vote Braveheart > Gladiator.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alien was good but if I was grabbing a ridley scott movie to watch again today I'd never reach for it. It just feels kind of dated to me.

I'm the opposite of you then. I think the movie's almost timeless (incidentally 70s horror movies were great) and if I had to reach for a Ridley Scott movie to watch again it's pretty much the only one on the list.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Grape posted:

He doesn't look like a person from a Southern Europe. There, are we done lol.

Yes he does.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Everyone in Braveheart wore a kilt, but they didn't have kilts in 1300. Impossible to enjoy!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Whorelord posted:

Yes he does.

He looks fine for the part. I don't think it's really that big a deal if you cast someone as another nationality than they are.

I do think that more non-white people should be cast in movies though, especially in major parts. But there's no real reason they have to stick with playing their own nationality either.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I spent half of Kingdom of Heaven texting through a breakup. Hearing the directors cut is good has me interested in giving it another chance. But talking about Mel Gibson’s dong and obsession with violence just makes me want to watch Apocalypto.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Extra Large Marge posted:

Everyone in Braveheart wore a kilt, but they didn't have kilts in 1300. Impossible to enjoy!

Braveheart takes place in 1300. The movie is still not very historically accurate though.

E: Reading comprehension has failed me.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
They're ok movies I guess, but have you been following the movies about marvel comic books op?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

One of my favorite parts of kingdom of heaven was when Guy just shanks the diplomat in the neck. If you're going to war anyway, why adhere to decorum or whatever?

too bad he was an idiot and marched his army into an obvious trap, could have kept jerusalem if he wasn't so clinically stupid.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

One of my favorite parts of kingdom of heaven was when Guy just shanks the diplomat in the neck. If you're going to war anyway, why adhere to decorum or whatever?

too bad he was an idiot and marched his army into an obvious trap, could have kept jerusalem if he wasn't so clinically stupid.

almost like those two events are linked somehow

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Extra Large Marge posted:

:sad:

I didn’t know this, immersion is ruined. They also talk modern English in both, when they should have subtitles like passion of the Christ. Also annoying!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

I always have to remind myself that the movie doesn't end after bootcamp in FMJ. Imho the rest is very forgettable.

saving private ryan is pretty good but fury replaced it as my favorite WW2 movie.

The last five minutes of Fury turned it into pure schlock.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Dinosaurs! posted:

I spent half of Kingdom of Heaven texting through a breakup. Hearing the directors cut is good has me interested in giving it another chance. But talking about Mel Gibson’s dong and obsession with violence just makes me want to watch Apocalypto.

The director's cut being good elevates the movie into passable territory but tbh its still overly long.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

The last five minutes of Fury turned it into pure schlock.

Yeah but it was pretty cool schlock. Who doesn't like seeing hundreds of elite nazi soldiers that suddenly forgot how to deal (hint: don't keep running at it, just fall back and then panzerfaust it) with a stationary tank gunned down by brad pitt?

In all honesty it does detract from the movie but the leadup to it is pretty drat good.

Only bad part about the pre-massacre part was how badly that german woman overcooked those poor eggs. Brad brought them so far to be obliterated and licked by that one guy whose name I can't remember.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Yeah but it was pretty cool schlock. Who doesn't like seeing hundreds of elite nazi soldiers that suddenly forgot how to deal (hint: don't keep running at it, just fall back and then panzerfaust it) with a stationary tank gunned down by brad pitt?

In all honesty it does detract from the movie but the leadup to it is pretty drat good.

Only bad part about the pre-massacre part was how badly that german woman overcooked those poor eggs. Brad brought them so far to be obliterated and licked by that one guy whose name I can't remember.

I think Fury had too much of a hard-on for it's set pieces. Should have followed the three tank column a bit longer and gave those tertiary characters some more flavor so that when we they did die you were like woah.

I did enjoy WW2 being depicted as grimy dirty work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

I think Fury had too much of a hard-on for it's set pieces. Should have followed the three tank column a bit longer and gave those tertiary characters some more flavor so that when we they did die you were like woah.

I did enjoy WW2 being depicted as grimy dirty work.

yeah agreed, I liked that dude from black hawk down, the other main lead tank guy. From what I heard though it was pretty realistic for a few shermans to get wrecked like that by a single tiger tank, but maybe they should have saved that battle for last instead of the "gently caress yeah america kill all the SS" thing they went with.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

yeah agreed, I liked that dude from black hawk down, the other main lead tank guy. From what I heard though it was pretty realistic for a few shermans to get wrecked like that by a single tiger tank, but maybe they should have saved that battle for last instead of the "gently caress yeah america kill all the SS" thing they went with.

I think so too. The end battle should have been a brolic tank fight with infantry from both sides engaged in nasty close range night fighting, end the same but everyone in the tank dying but US coming to out as winning at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The 76mm armed Shermans in Fury would have been able to take on a Tiger I like seen in the film from the front at a pretty good range. Shermans also had comparable front armor (taking into account sloping) to the Tiger I. At that point in the war on the Western front you were much more likely to encounter the far more powerful (but much more flawed) Tiger II (or King Tiger) though. I understand why they chose a Tiger I for the movie though as there are no working Tiger IIs remaining that i know of.

Also the book the movie is based on, Death Traps, is responsible for spreading and perpetuating alot of myths about WW2 Allied armor.