Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I just time-traveled back to 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I watched this all last night, and like its still very inconsistent. Season 1 is probably still the one with the best ratio of good vs bad.

3 Robots is always the highlight. The one with the Zombie was a fun animation thing.

My issue with Jibaro is that the whole thing is due to the Siren. She kills his entire cohort for her own reasons and then when he runs off, she follows him because either she's infatuated with him or because she cannot believe a man is not enticed to kill himself for her. I totally can get the sexual assault metaphor and the colonial aspect of him looting her body, but at the same time the narrative of the story is she murdered a whole bunch of people for an unknown reason. She could have just let Jibaro leave and nothing would have happened to her, but she specifically tracked him down. It kinda undermines the entire message of the story when the victim is also the instigator. It would be like going "Look at what the Europeans did to the Indigenous people of the Americas" after they had sailed across the Atlantic and burned down Lisbon and killed most of its inhabitants.

My biggest issue with a lot of these is they just end. Like Bad Travelling I thought was going to end with the lone survivor landing on the island only to find out its full of giant crabs. or Swarm ending with something more definite happening to the protagonist.

Kill Team Kill was literally just Neebs Gaming crew playing a multiplayer shooter, and I loved it.

In Vaulted Halls Entombed is such a Lovecraft story I totally expected to see "based on the works of HP Lovecraft". I really do love that the spider things where actually there to keep people from getting in, they weren't the threat, it was the people going into the caves that were.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Worth noting is that Jibaro was written by a Spanish guy, and he says that it's a metaphor for a toxic relationship. The conquistador wants her gold, she wants to kill him because she's a siren and sex and murder are the same thing when you're a siren. Then they ballet.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

After rewatching it I'm more positive on Bad Traveling. Am I seeing things or there's a lot of Joseph Conrad vibes in it? I don't just mean the whole nautical context, although of course thete's that, but the nebbish hero turning the tables after a secret test of character like in An Anarchist, the idealism vs brutishness thing, the bizarre nonchalance of the protagonist... It rings a bell.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah neither the siren or the knight is "the good guy" or "the bad guy"

The director said as much

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that take makes way more sense based on the narrative.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Good news, everyone!

Renewed for fourth season.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

there's a lot of hits and misses but I think it's a spectacular collection of short form stories and hopefully there's at least one diamond in the next season.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
It's almost always interesting to look at and that's enough to justify its existence.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hoping they get back to their horny roots with season 4. Too much death, not enough love.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

This has always been to me the the Black Mirror: The Animated Series.

And even if there are misses, there are also hits. So hey, more the merrier.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Just because of the format, it seems like the kind of thing worth renewing forever. Short form animation has basically no commercial platform, so I can't imagine it's expensive to curate an anthology of 8-10 animated shorts produced by whatever random unknown animation studio with few other places to go. Whatever eyes Netflix gets on it probably justifies the cost.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
(also, netflix really need to remind people why they shouldn't cancel their subscriptions, and stranger things is probably not going to be around, save for the inevitable six spin-offs)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Xealot posted:

Just because of the format, it seems like the kind of thing worth renewing forever. Short form animation has basically no commercial platform, so I can't imagine it's expensive to curate an anthology of 8-10 animated shorts produced by whatever random unknown animation studio with few other places to go. Whatever eyes Netflix gets on it probably justifies the cost.

Yeah I see no reason why Netlfix should ever kill this thing. It is really just "ideas and animation studios".

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Xealot posted:

It could also be a good way to vet or reward effects studios for other Netflix work. Do we know if there's any overlap between the studios who've done LDR shorts and studios that have done work on shows like Stranger Things?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah I see no reason why Netlfix should ever kill this thing. It is really just "ideas and animation studios".

Netflix (and audiences) should kill it if the studios can’t figure out that women exist and write, a lot

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
It’s loving inexplicable and drives me nuts!!!

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

General Battuta posted:

Netflix (and audiences) should kill it if the studios can’t figure out that women exist and write, a lot

This is one of my main complaints, as well. There's something so quintessentially male about it, the over the top edginess to most episodes. Half of any given season leaves me with the feeling that "this is some guy's pitch for a videogame" or "this is some guy's player character from their Cyberpunk campaign."

It'd be insanely easy to rectify, too: find stories from more diverse voices. It's anthology, and the only restriction is that it be vaguely genre. The criteria are loose as hell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It started life as a Heavy Metal adaptation so it's not a big stretch to believe the misogyny was baked in from the start.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It can stay edgy and misogynistic if it must, just buy the edgy misogynistic stories from some women too! The number of women writers they work with seems to drop every season and it didn't start out high.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I don't mind the unashamed maleness to it. I'm more upset that they've left horny behind for violence (the only emotion available to men). Like, a diverse show with different viewpoints and writers would be amazing. A modern Heavy Metal (which is basically what S1 was) is also amazing.

I like having sex. I hope to continue having sex. I never want to kill anyone. While I look back on my antifa punkrock barfighting days with nostalgia they weren't healthy and modeling that isn't healthy either.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hoping they get back to their horny roots with season 4. Too much death, not enough love.

Love Death and Cumbots

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Open Source Idiom posted:

Love Death and Cumbots

3 robots: they gently caress now.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they can have all the sex and nudity as long as it's not a 15-year-old's version of it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

2nd Amendment posted:

I don't mind the unashamed maleness to it. I'm more upset that they've left horny behind for violence (the only emotion available to men). Like, a diverse show with different viewpoints and writers would be amazing. A modern Heavy Metal (which is basically what S1 was) is also amazing.

I like having sex. I hope to continue having sex. I never want to kill anyone. While I look back on my antifa punkrock barfighting days with nostalgia they weren't healthy and modeling that isn't healthy either.

Women can also be very horny, and like getting paid + getting huge exposure for their short fiction (and LDR is about the only place I can imagine modern SFF short fiction getting any mass exposure)

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

General Battuta posted:

Women can also be very horny, and like getting paid + getting huge exposure for their short fiction (and LDR is about the only place I can imagine modern SFF short fiction getting any mass exposure)

Obviously. And I did say it would be awesome if they went that way. But I don't mind the maleness if it plays out like S1. They've just dropped the ball on that by tripling down on violence

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Awesome, I loved season three.

I read this thread and was WTF on many of the replies.

What can I say, I enjoy the random different stories and styles.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Emmy time.

Winner:

Outstanding Short Form Animated Program
Love, Death + Robots • Jibaro • Netflix
Blur Studio for Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh