Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

etalian posted:

Yeah I think Zima Blue was one of the more solid episodes in terms of combining a interesting story, visuals and having a satisfying ending.

Yeah, that one was my favorite, it was a neat sci-fi read on art.

As for the others: Sonny’s Edge was a little too edgy, to put it mildly. Three Robots was pretty funny. I actually like Suits because it did a remarkable job fitting “giant mechs vs. horrifying bugs” into a farm life, it felt like the whole thing was yet another typical farm chore to the people; bale the hay, feed the animals, bug war, all just another day’s work (if a bit tougher than expected by the end). Nice when they make the fantastic feel grounded like that. They actually did a good job with that grounding vs. fantastic blend in most of them really; Lucky 13, Beyond the Aquila Rift, and Shape Shifters also were great that way. Though Helping Hand kind of took me out of it because while the physics were good your arm is NOT going to freeze over like that in space, probably wouldn’t even lose the thing. On the opposite end, Witness was a bit too incoherent, one of those “best experienced on powerful drugs or during a bad fever” type shows at best. Fish Story was kind of the same but at least had a story rather than basically an experience to sit through. The artwork in general was very good quality even with the weaker stories, which definitely helped a lot.

All in all this was a really good series, it’s definitely worth the watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I didn't care for Sonnie's Edge as a story, but Sonnie's character design her decoy body, not the monster was super top-notch. :discourse:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I appreciated how the show was so good at sneaking dicks into as many episodes as possible.

Like the garbage monster episode, there's no way they could include a dick in this story.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So who else caught the Alien franchise reference in one of the shorts? Because I caught the reference. :v:

Satellite “LV426” in “Helping Hand”

For someone like me, it felt super-duper on-the-nose.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

So who else caught the Alien franchise reference in one of the shorts? Because I caught the reference. :v:

Satellite “LV426” in “Helping Hand”

For someone like me, it felt super-duper on-the-nose.

They wanted the same "dirty space trucker" feel, so it seemed appropriate.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Madurai posted:

They wanted the same "dirty space trucker" feel, so it seemed appropriate.

Lame rear end Gravity short trying to be hip with an Alien reference.

Can you really use the term LV426 without license. How come nobody is making unauthorized LV426 movie? Just make the alien loo different.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

tino posted:

Can you really use the term LV426 without license. How come nobody is making unauthorized LV426 movie? Just make the alien loo different.

It’s just a string of letters and numbers, it’s like name-dropping “1138” or the room number from ‘The Shining’ or whatever

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

tino posted:

One of the creators likes the same thing as you. It’s gonna be okay man

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well at least the series didn't have any aliens with massive dicks.

Some restraint was demonstrated...

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Watched this over the last few days and it was okay, but I agree with whoever said it sometimes feels more like a demo reel for various animations studios than an actual anthology. The themes and plot were so lean in a few episodes as to be almost non-existent, but I still enjoyed it overall and if Netflix wants to throw a bunch more money at animators to get more stuff like this made then I am totally down.

Edit: I'd maybe also have a chat with whoever set the episode order. Someone else mentioned a generally masculine feel to the writing and there is some definite male gaze going on at times, but it's pretty heavily weighted toward the first half of the series. I think it wouldn't have stood out so much if, for example, Sonnie's Edge and The Witness were spaced out a bit more.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2019

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Three Robots was cute and funny up until the end, where the final gag was just...dumb. I am not a cat person.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am a cat person, and I agree it was dumb but I was also lukewarm on the entire short. Too twee for my tastes.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Skippy McPants posted:

I am a cat person, and I agree it was dumb but I was also lukewarm on the entire short. Too twee for my tastes.

I thought the first half after a couple of minutes was funny but it started to drag around the teabagging point and while I like cats (and thought the cat video joke was fine) the ending went on too long. Child monitor bot in particular was too... on the nose?

I think the only one I really disliked was the train(?) robbery one. It seemed the most pointless and time-wasting. Cool on a few others but that one really rubbed me wrong for some reason.

quote:

Edit: I'd maybe also have a chat with whoever set the episode order.
Apparently there are four possible episode orders depending on some unknown variable.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Are there? Weird. The episode order I got was the same one listed on the Wikipedia entry, but maybe that was a coincidence.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Netflix says they are doing some A/B testing on the episode order.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Interesting! I still think my criticism of the ordering stands, in that stacking too many episodes with similar themes or structural issues can create a false impression of the overall offering. Imagine if the first three episodes the viewer got served were,

Three Robots
Blind Spot
When The Yogurt Took Over

or

Sonnie's Edge
Good Hunting
The Witness

Either one could be misleading about what to expect from the rest of the anthology. Selecting different viewing orders at random is cool, but the orders themselves still benefit from curation. Though I suppose they might also be testing random ordering specifically to gather data about which generates the most engagement. But at that point, it's less about the viewer experience and more about farming analytics.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
3 robots n that ghost ocean are super dumb, just skip them.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I’m glad I read this thread instead of just watching the episodes in order because yeah, not a big fan of sexualized violence against women and there is a lot of it.

Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue were so good I went and bought an Alistair Reynolds anthology though.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
this show perfectly captures the experience of reading a short story anthology of contemporary science fiction with its three subjects: rape, military fetishism, and bad jokes

but Zima Blue was nice

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zachack posted:

I think the only one I really disliked was the train(?) robbery one. It seemed the most pointless and time-wasting. Cool on a few others but that one really rubbed me wrong for some reason.

that train robbery episode had such a cheesy 90s feel

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Labes for days posted:

I’m glad I read this thread instead of just watching the episodes in order because yeah, not a big fan of sexualized violence against women and there is a lot of it.

There is? Good Hunting obviously, and I can see the symbolism in Pokémon Gladiators, but (in my order) that was the first and roughly midpoint episodes.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Train robbery has the useless noob protagonist dumber than viewers trope. It's basically 2F2F.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I think Good Hunting was about being trapped in the friend zone?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Zachack posted:

There is? Good Hunting obviously, and I can see the symbolism in Pokémon Gladiators, but (in my order) that was the first and roughly midpoint episodes.

Plus, there's The Witness.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Sonnie's Edge: So did the backstory really happen and she later transferred her mind into the monster, or was she always the monster and "Sonnie" is completely fictional?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lycus posted:

Sonnie's Edge: So did the backstory really happen and she later transferred her mind into the monster, or was she always the monster and "Sonnie" is completely fictional?

Her human body was essentially a puppet after she was almost beaten to death

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Lycus posted:

My impression: given that pain she had felt real, more like the former. She states she was pretty much toast after the estate gang had their way, so what was left of her brain became Khanivore, the body is probably a cloned shell with some biocomputer processors for a "brain"

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Obviously putting mind in the monster body make more sense because you get better ping time.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Either way, it is pretty silly to me that she's cool with being imprisoned most of the time while pretending to be her human puppet instead of being a free monster.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Lycus posted:

Either way, it is pretty silly to me that she's cool with being imprisoned most of the time while pretending to be her human puppet instead of being a free monster.

Most areas probably aren't giant monster friendly unfortunately.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

In case anyone hasn't followed twitter today, it's been confirmed that Netflix has been experimenting with episode order for the series. It came revealed when Lukas Thoms, an activist for queer issues in new technologies and the tech industry, raised some concerns about the episode order being altered based off sexual preference, in particular, how lesbian friend started the show with "Sonnie's Edge" with it's brief tryst between Sonnie and another woman, and while a straight friend had the series start with "Beyond The Aquila Rift", with it's 'explicit hetero sex' between characters. Netflix quickly posted a response to Thoms, denying any preference based off gender, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, but did confirm, what most have encountered, that they were giving four different episode orders for random users.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I like how netflix is all "oh w don't even have that info" when I'm sure it can be gleaned with a moderately successful chance based on what has been watched, kinda like how amazon can figure out if you're pregnant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I like how netflix is all "oh w don't even have that info" when I'm sure it can be gleaned with a moderately successful chance based on what has been watched, kinda like how amazon can figure out if you're pregnant.

Netflix might not have it but Google and Facebook would sure have it and they share marketing information, so they're technically correct, but it's all semantics.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
It put Three Robots second for me and that is the must un-me thing on netflix.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Netflix can have a guess but there's no way to really know from just the information on Netflix itself.
Amazon knowing your pregnancy state is down to what you're buying, not that hard.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Labes for days posted:

Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue were so good I went and bought an Alistair Reynolds anthology though.
Yeah I bought an anthology and House of Suns. I had completely missed him before this so yay Love Death and Robots.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The constant boobs and whatnot made a lot more sense after I read that originally this was David Fincher's reboot of Heavy Metal.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Ice Age was good. Beyond the Aquila Rift and Zima Blue are okay. Sonnie's Edge had good monster fights.

The rest of it was so cringe inducing I had trouble getting through it. The Dump might be the worst 10 minutes on Netflix.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If I'd seen Three Robots first, I would've hesitated to keep watching. It's good until the ending, which is unbearably corny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The constant boobs and whatnot made a lot more sense after I read that originally this was David Fincher's reboot of Heavy Metal.

It was plot related boobs like in Game of Thrones