Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Netflix and algorithms, there's probably ways to find out a lot about someone's personality based on which of the shorts they liked most and hated most. I don't know what it is, but I do know I take some kind of irrational offense when people dis my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This show fucks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Could someone explain the animation style from The Witness.

Looked really different than all the other episodes.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It reminded me heavily of the rotoscoped style of that one keanu reeves movie or whatever

e: Scanner Darkly

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

etalian posted:

Could someone explain the animation style from The Witness.

Looked really different than all the other episodes.

It is, according to the (IIRC) director, not mocap or rotoscoping. I couldn't figure it out while watching it, either. If "Lucky 13" is the most hyperreal-looking one of the bunch, this was the most baffling "how did they do it?" one.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It reminded me heavily of the rotoscoped style of that one keanu reeves movie or whatever

e: Scanner Darkly

Scanner Darkly looks obviously like vectorized drawing (like flash) of video. The Witness looks like painting only on the actors, the rest of the Hong Kong set detail is just straight up video shot with very wide angle lens.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Pawn 17 posted:

I was sure it was rotoscoping, but the artist has said there was no motion capture (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu6zRUbo7dk/) and it's done with keyframes.
He explains his animation technique here: http://motionographer.com/2010/02/24/modern-rebel-alberto-mielgo-pinkman-tv/
And here is a video on his site of how his animations are made: http://www.albertomielgo.com/-making-of

Even so, watching it I still can't believe it could have been traditionally animated.

re the witness animation, honestly unbelievable. the process videos are like Step 1. stick figure, step 2. we draw outline of clothes, step 3. The Witness fully animated

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerkface posted:

re the witness animation, honestly unbelievable. the process videos are like Step 1. stick figure, step 2. we draw outline of clothes, step 3. The Witness fully animated

Yeah on a technical level is really stands out from all the other episodes as something unique.

The animation style is pretty much unbelievable especially how the artist used his love for painting to create the innovative animation technique going from a pencil style sketch to the final animation with shadows and colors.

For the more standard 3D CGI I thought Beyond the Aquila Rift and the Secret War were the most visually impressive

etalian fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 23, 2019

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Sonnie's Edge has stuck with me for a week now. That ending was just so loving raw with the stabbing through the brain and then the facestomp. The cruelty really bummed me out. Then the monster plot twist happened followed by instant karma. I loved it. I think I want more, but I have no idea where they could go with it. They already did the good part. A longer version would be something like Kill Bill or Lady Vengeance with monster battles I guess? That could be fun though.

Beyond the Aqua Rift kind of hit the same notes with its grim rear end ending. I put two those episodes at the top with Three Robots.

The rest didn't leave much of an impression. The nudity took me out of some of them because it felt forced and immature, the same way a lot of Kevin Smith's work does once you get past a certain age. I liked the premise of Ice Age, but Simpsons had an episode like that which did more with it.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 23, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

After going through the whole series, I'm starting to gauge my "favorites" based on the ones I go back and readily re-watch.

By that metric, "Three Robots" is definitely my favorite, followed by "Zima Blue". I also got a kick out of "Blackout"; I dunno, the action and animation were fun, and the banter was alright.

The more I think about two of them, though, the more questions I have about the plot. I'll spoiler-tag it I guess:

Zima Blue:
So Zima was once a pool-cleaning robot, and through numerous upgrades over the years, he became... a full-on flesh-and-blood human, who then modifies himself to become a robot again? Like, the one chick even calls him out on this, and he just handwaves it. I also raised my eyebrow when he explained that the shade of "zima blue" he's known for comes from a common shade of pool tile, and apparently at no point in his centuries-long odyssey of making literal planet-sized murals did anyone notice that his "unique" shade of blue wasn't unique.

Beyond the Aquila Rift:
If the "truth" was so shocking, why did she even bother revealing things in stages rather than just pick one lie and roll with it? Also, was Greta actually caring for her "lost souls"? Like, when Thom wakes up he's not tethered into anything like in The Matrix or whatever that would be feeding him life support as well as the false simulation, and he's all atrophied.

I noticed that both of those were written by the same author. Do his other stories tend to fall apart upon close scrutiny?

I dunno. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

After going through the whole series, I'm starting to gauge my "favorites" based on the ones I go back and readily re-watch.

By that metric, "Three Robots" is definitely my favorite, followed by "Zima Blue". I also got a kick out of "Blackout"; I dunno, the action and animation were fun, and the banter was alright.

The more I think about two of them, though, the more questions I have about the plot. I'll spoiler-tag it I guess:

Zima Blue:
So Zima was once a pool-cleaning robot, and through numerous upgrades over the years, he became... a full-on flesh-and-blood human, who then modifies himself to become a robot again? Like, the one chick even calls him out on this, and he just handwaves it. I also raised my eyebrow when he explained that the shade of "zima blue" he's known for comes from a common shade of pool tile, and apparently at no point in his centuries-long odyssey of making literal planet-sized murals did anyone notice that his "unique" shade of blue wasn't unique.

I think Zima's origins are so long lost that even he didn't know exactly where he came from until he discovered it through his art, which is why people like me where moved by it. The bit about him going to planet where he received bionic augmentation wasn't even told by him, it was a rumor that the reporter lady had heard that explained why he was this giant man made of pressurized polymer and steel that can survive the vaccum of space and molten lava.

The same thing with the tile. It's obvious the color's true name had been forgotten in whatever far future year it is, with probably the last memory of it being Zima's first memory.

Xenomrph posted:

Beyond the Aquila Rift:
If the "truth" was so shocking, why did she even bother revealing things in stages rather than just pick one lie and roll with it? Also, was Greta actually caring for her "lost souls"? Like, when Thom wakes up he's not tethered into anything like in The Matrix or whatever that would be feeding him life support as well as the false simulation, and he's all atrophied.

Thinking about it now it's very likely that "Greta" was performing some sort of hospice. By the ending narration, we are clearly supposed to sympathize with "her", so I'm going to assume her intentions are benign (I'd probably also think she's motivated by loneliness). She probably has nothing to feed him or take care of him, the only thing she can provide is comfort until he dies. The only reason she's revealing anything to Thom is that any attempt to reintegrate the navigator into the illusion continued to break it down and fueled his suspicions from the start. It's why when she rebooted everything, she convinced Thom something happened with her while they were in cryo-sleep.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 23, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Most areas probably aren't giant monster friendly unfortunately.

Giant monster here, can confirm

Lycus posted:

Sonnie's Edge: So did the backstory really happen and she later transferred her mind into the monster, or was she always the monster and "Sonnie" is completely fictional?

She was always the monster, which was raped by dudes into monsters

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked Fish Night up until the very end. I thought it would have been better without the guy being eaten by the ghost shark.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Lycus posted:

Sonnie's Edge: So did the backstory really happen and she later transferred her mind into the monster, or was she always the monster and "Sonnie" is completely fictional?

In the original short story:
Sonnie explains that she made up the whole "angry rape survivor" backstory because she knew the male characters would eat it up and not go looking for her real edge. She really just died in a random traffic accident and had her brain transplanted into the monster.

I wish they had included that dialogue in the short, since it explains why her backstory is such a lame trope.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

muscles like this! posted:

I liked Fish Night up until the very end. I thought it would have been better without the guy being eaten by the ghost shark.

It's by the guys who did the animation for the Witcher cutscenes and I can really tell. I think Suits was too?

I really enjoyed Suits, maybe my favourite one of the lot. I feel like the others have little holes in the story, they come across more like a fun experiment but Suits could be a series all of its own.

My least favourite was Alternative Histories because I actually enjoy 'real' alt history and it was all really loving wishy-washy centrist bollocks about Hitler.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I thought that ending was unintentionally hilarious for some reason since it made me think of Deep Blue Sea.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That's my feeling, too. I feel like everything being weird that the filmmakers could have easily had him resurrected after being eaten by the shark and have even more trippy sequence then end it with both salesmen trying to process what they've seen, instead of ending right after he's eaten

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So what stories does everyone think they should use for a potential s2? Personally I think the Paolo Bacigalupi story "People of Sand and Slag" would fit in nicely with the kind of stuff they did.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sandkings, but it might be too close to the freezer one. I thought that was the direction it was going to go at first.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

withak posted:

Sandkings, but it might be too close to the freezer one. I thought that was the direction it was going to go at first.

Outer Limits already did that though.
I actually didn't like Ice age, it seemed a bit too...stupid. Nice to see Topher and MEW in it however!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Ice Age just because how cool they were with a rapidly advancing civilization living in their freezer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So what stories does everyone think they should use for a potential s2? Personally I think the Paolo Bacigalupi story "People of Sand and Slag" would fit in nicely with the kind of stuff they did.

A William Gibson short story, like "Dogfight" (which is a collab with "Ice Age"'s Michael Swanwick) or "Mozart In Mirrorshades". Or Marc Laidlaw's "400 Boys", also from the Mirrorshades anthology.

One of the shorts I remember reading that could be interesting is George Alec Effinger's The Last Full Measure.

Also, if they could either get the rights or, even better, work around that it's fanfiction (or even best, get the rights but still work around it then just flat-out reveal what it is), Peter Watts "The Things".

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’d like to see what they could do with “The Jaunt”.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The Ted Chiang stories about the Tower of Babylon and the guy whose wife gets killed by an accidental angelic incursion. If it has to be robots the the air-breathing robots could be good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gaunab posted:

I liked Ice Age just because how cool they were with a rapidly advancing civilization living in their freezer.

That's what killed it for me and my girlfriend, I don't really know how I wanted them to react but finding the mammoth they were a bit :O then they just went "oh. look."

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

They should do All You Need Is Kill. Despite how good Edge of Tomorrow was, you could easily fit that story into an action packed 10 to 15 minutes.

Asimov's "Escape!" could be fun. It has malfunctioning robots and existential questions about teleportation.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
This is bad, dumb and boring. With few exceptions, there's almost no interesting ideas, visuals or story here. Feels like watching mediocre vidyagame action sequences for the most part. So far the decent eps were:

Sonnie's Edge
The Witness
Beyond the Aquila Rift

Three Robots had a dumb joke ending but it was fine I guess?
Good Hunting was ok-ish?

I checked out at Fish Night after hearing generic slide guitar for like the third time in the entire anthology. I dunno, maybe there's something good after that, but I wouldn't hold my breath. 4/11

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 24, 2019

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I'd recommend watching Zima Blue... And nothing else because nothing else was very good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Witness seemed really stereotypical and obvious, I rolled my eyes so much at the end part.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, not obvious, just doesn't go anywhere with it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Witness was completely pointless and the ending 'twist' was incredibly dumb, but at least it was pretty to look at.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Well on the bright only one episode had dick destruction

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
on the bright side? :kheldragar:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Well, not obvious, just doesn't go anywhere with it.

I've seen the same sort of thing in short stories before, causality loops and etc.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

True, sorry, I was aiming for the pun and I missed.

The Witness needed something more. Causality loops don't reset knowledge but the end implies they're stuck in the cycle forever. Maybe don't be chasing a stranger shouting unintelligibly, next time?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sage Grimm posted:

True, sorry, I was aiming for the pun and I missed.

The Witness needed something more. Causality loops don't reset knowledge but the end implies they're stuck in the cycle forever. Maybe don't be chasing a stranger shouting unintelligibly, next time?

It does reset, though, because one of them is always new to the loop and the other is always hosed up having just gone through the loop.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

'Oh that guy I saw in the window is the same guy that murdered someone that looked a lot like me, loving chased me all the way from my apartment to my workplace and all the way back again, and is now lying dead because he cornered me while I had a gun. HMMMM BETTER CHASE HIM DOWN BECAUSE HE SAW ME!'

No gently caress that, you get out of dodge without looking back, like any sane person would do.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sage Grimm posted:

'Oh that guy I saw in the window is the same guy that murdered someone that looked a lot like me, loving chased me all the way from my apartment to my workplace and all the way back again, and is now lying dead because he cornered me while I had a gun. HMMMM BETTER CHASE HIM DOWN BECAUSE HE SAW ME!'

No gently caress that, you get out of dodge without looking back, like any sane person would do.

Sane doesn’t really apply here, though, does it?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
So does Topher Grace have radiation burns? Is he going to die eventually of cancer/his organs giving out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Eh it was just a teeny tiny nuke. He'll be fine. :v: