Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Well, it's just my opinion. But I think having multiple wives might be bad because then other people might have no wives and get mad. But then again, if I'm the guy with a bunch of wives, it seems like it might be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=surkCGT2emA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
As a much married man, multiple wives sounds like a loving nightmare.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

yea! multiple womens!!! *grunts and thrusts pelvis*

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's always depicted as if all wives are equal in polygamy but there must be the alpha wife and the loser wife. But then the loser wife can come up with all sorts of weird poo poo to become the secretly best wife and then the other wives are caught off-guard like deer in headlights. I'm sure it's all super complex, the politics of a multi-wife situation.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Palpek posted:

It's always depicted as if all wives are equal in polygamy but there must be the alpha wife and the loser wife. But then the loser wife can come up with all sorts of weird poo poo to become the secretly best wife and then the other wives are caught off-guard like deer in headlights. I'm sure it's all super complex, the politics of a multi-wife situation.

they should make it a reality tv show

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

we all saw Big Love

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Collateral posted:

As a much married man, multiple wives sounds like a loving nightmare.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Chasing after the unicorn of a multiple-husbands wife.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Everyone talks about multi-wife arrangements but what about one wife and multiple husbands?

e: OK, no-one talks about it apart from Palpek. My point still stands :colbert:

a glitch fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 17, 2019

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
just give me one good snapper

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Kak posted:

just give me one good snapper

ouch

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

spb posted:

Well, it's just my opinion. But I think having multiple wives might be bad because then other people might have no wives and get mad. But then again, if I'm the guy with a bunch of wives, it seems like it might be good.

Haha spd that is really funny, becuase I jokeingly brought this up to my wife just the other day!

she immediately shot back with, "you can't even handle the wife you DO have!" and she is SO RIGHT hahaha

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pPFYQAJ_o

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Skeleton King posted:

Haha spd that is really funny, becuase I jokeingly brought this up to my wife just the other day!

she immediately shot back with, "you can't even handle the wife you DO have!" and she is SO RIGHT hahaha

lol you go skeleton queen

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

he was the funniest man on earth.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Palpek posted:

You ever heard of the Ottoman empire and the harem, because look into it dude you are more right than you know.

*maybe you have and that was like your point, either way other onwatchers, check that poo poo out

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
You might have mixed opinions on marriage OP but I think we can all agree you’re a loving muppet and this thread should be gassed

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Maybe you should be gassed I was just about to start talking about harems and poo poo

*it's for the best for the thread to be gassed really please go ahead

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I think that in practice polygamy has usually meant a bunch of young women, or even girls, being married by force to powerful but creepy old men. But, in theory, since women are only attracted to 20% of men, and find the other 80% "below average", maybe, if there was no cultural stigma against it, a lot of women wouldn't mind sharing the best 20%? I don't know.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Telebite posted:

yea! multiple womens!!! *grunts and thrusts pelvis*

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

It should be legal, but only for men with multiple penises or women with multiple vaginas.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Palpek posted:

this is something pimping solved - you have your bottom bitch, and she keeps the hoes in line

doverhog
May 31, 2013

As the successions became increasingly more muddled some wives in the Ottoman harem gained increasing influence and de even de facto ruled the empire at times through their sons. That's a big danger inherent to polygamy, women.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Pawn 17 posted:

It should be legal, but only for men with multiple penises or women with multiple vaginas.

I honestly can't argue with that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the office but an FLDS clan

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
imo, it would be better if all the wives were into eachother, too. But then they won't need you at all, OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

imo, it would be better if all the wives were into eachother, too. But then they won't need you at all, OP.

How would that be different from like all opther women

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

The Dennis System posted:

I think that in practice polygamy has usually meant a bunch of young women, or even girls, being married by force to powerful but creepy old men. But, in theory, since women are only attracted to 20% of men, and find the other 80% "below average", maybe, if there was no cultural stigma against it, a lot of women wouldn't mind sharing the best 20%? I don't know.

Maybe us 80 percenters should just get together and take care of our own needs. Not in a gay way just milking each other's loads to help out

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Mohammed married his brother's wife I think. The idea of polygamy in Islam is to help take care of widowed women which is noble in a cultural context.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
as a native Utah'n, i will say that polygamy is bad and made fun of extensively. goons are not immune to this treatment and if i see a harem of veiled wives following a man selling homemade sausage at the farmer's market, i will leave some very strongly-worded DMs for you to read.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
Did you know a female cuck

Is called

A cuckcake

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I had a harem of guys

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
If I were rich then I'd just sort of retire/disappear and get another wife who'll be good friends with current wife but we won't say anything to anyone and anytime someone visited only one of the wives would be there and then the next time the other wife and so on but we'd never say anything about the changes and keep it up until the guest finally snaps

It would be hilarious and amazing every time and we could just gently caress with other people constantly

It would totally work

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
There was one Sultan (I think it was Murad the Somethingth?) that had two particularly lovely women in his harem who were both excellent swimmers. They had a competition to see who was the best and they went out to this river. Well, there had been a small wreck and the waters around that were turbid and turbulent. The first lady was caught up in an undertow and the second swam back to save her. Once the lady was saved, the exhausted savior was then tugged away herself and the first did nothing to save her as she was smashed against some rapids. The Sultan gave her a bag of gold and sent her away, knowing that his true love was dead.

loving lots of people is always more commitment.

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018

Nirvikalpa posted:

I wish I had a harem of guys

I too wish I could turn my bedroom into a Mobius strip of disappointment

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

underthecube posted:

I too wish I could turn my bedroom into a Mobius strip of disappointment

If it's a Mobius strip of dudes and you're still disappointed, the problem is you.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
... i'm get my rent paid

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

a glitch posted:

Everyone talks about multi-wife arrangements but what about one wife and multiple husbands?

e: OK, no-one talks about it apart from Palpek. My point still stands :colbert:

Lol search "reverse harem" on Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Dennis System posted:

dawkins and a bunch of other biologists did a bunch of cross disciplinary things with sociologists in the late 90s to early 2000s and their basic conclusions went something like:

- the primary reason polygamy isn’t more of a thing with humanity is because women won’t allow it
- that’s because the primary thing they get out of a pair bond that they can’t get elsewhere is support raising kids, and obviously if a dude has like 3 wives that means her kids get 1/3rd of the attention
- the above is also why there’s no multiple husband polygamous relationships - a woman does not gain much of anything by having more dudes around, and the men lose interest pretty much instantly if they can’t be sure the kids are theirs anyway
- the rare polygamous relationships arise because the men in question are so rich and powerful that they can afford better raising despite having less time individually
- but the women in question also tend to have way, way, way worse options, to the point where money matters to that degree - so, yes, the multiple wives of an emperor or whatever were very likely to be offered up farmgirls because their only other real prospect was to marry another shitfarmer and die of tuberculosis at 24, probably childless. merchant daughters wouldn’t put up with it because even if the local blacksmith’s boy was never gonna rule a country he would make enough to teach their kids a real trade and be there to raise them right
- one of the primary reasons you see even less of it today is because of the above; even if you compare a billionaire to a gas station clerk the gulf between them is monumentally smaller than the king and the serf of yesteryear

before someone jumps all over me for writing some :biotruths: poo poo I’d like to remind you all that I’m just regurgitating information from cross disciplinary studies led by a respected expert in the field (who was, at that point, managing to not step outside his area of expertise and spout his dumbshit philosophies to anyone he could accost). i personally don’t have a take on the situation because I know fuckall about it

e: well no wait my take is that if polygamy were legal today it would probably primarily be practiced by creepy predators who would obtain their wives from human traffickers

i base this off a gut feeling from watching wife collectors like donny t

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Mar 18, 2019