Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/969074806061756417?lang=en
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1105890902545960961
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1105996736470896640

Welcome to the greatest event in sports: the first four days of the men's college basketball tournament, known as March Madness. Between Thursday morning and Sunday night there will be 48 games played by college students, resulting in 48 losers and a lot of lost productivity at work. The constant stream of games, storylines, and absolute insanity assures fantastic watching. The Super Bowl is for corporations. Waiting 4-7 games for an upset in the NBA or NHL playoffs is unreliable. Skip work and watch meaningful Thursday and Friday morning basketball.

Here's the current most informative bracket.

Benne posted:

Utah State gonna kick the poo poo out of us

Oh and :siren: GOON BRACKET IS BACK UP EVERYBODY JOIN NOW https://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/t1/group/76849/invitation?key=586354b9bd47003e&soc_trk=lnk :siren:

Password: fuckduke

The "I Ignore College Basketball Until Gambling Picks Up" section
Zion Williamson: On a team with the top 3 lottery picks, Zion seperated himself from his fellow Blue Devils by delivering a steady stream of highlights every time he took the floor. Then he seperated parts of his shoe against UNC, and Nike's stock dipped 1.5%. He came back in the ACC tournament to demolish his opposition. If your NBA team has a lottery pick, cross your fingers for him. Don't root for Duke, because he might suffer another injury the more he plays and also because he roots for Duke.

Pac 12 Sucks: They sent 3 teams. The highest seed is #9 Washington. What absolute trash.

Ja Morant: The Murray State Racer's leader, he's a 6-3 point scoring, dime-dropping machine. If he's not playing your alma matter then you root for him because he's been fun as hell to watch.

Will Wade Wiretapped: Won't Watch Wins With Waters: Turns out, college basketball has some shady people hanging around. For example, the FBI, and people that want to give college students money. If you want an early upset in your brackets, pick against the 3-seed Tigers.

Kansas Is No Longer Big 12 Champions: Congrats to the plucky underdogs of the Big 12 conference, Everyone Not Kansas, as they finally dethrone their overlord Jayhawks for the first time in 15 years.

FiveThirtyEight's predictions
KenPom predictions.
Post dope highlight reels of years past, beers you'll be drinking, and who you're leaving in the dust at work.
Thursday, March 21st games and times
Friday, March 22nd games and times
Saturday, March 23rd games and times
Sunday, March 24th games and times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh9ZHOZPb-0

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Vols Bitch, gently caress Duke

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
🍊

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I hate this bracket because I can’t figure out who Duke loses to. Zion is too much.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Gardner-Webb > Virginia calling it now

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
That Buffalo/Texas Tech/Nevada/Michigan corner of the bracket is pure hell and is gonna produce some really good games.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Poque posted:

That Buffalo/Texas Tech/Nevada/Michigan corner of the bracket is pure hell and is gonna produce some really good games.

They're hosting an open practice this Thursday for the Tulsa bracket (Buffalo, Texas Tech, OSU, etc)

Anyone ever gone to one of those? Kinda came here to ask that. (150 bucks to go to the actual games sadly)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poque posted:

I feel like Buffalo has a good chance to make it far, but who the hell knows. This is a bizarro year for me where I think every Big 12 team sucks and will not make it to the second weekend.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

DC Murderverse posted:

Gardner-Webb > Virginia calling it now

They are, by some distance, the best of the 16 seeds.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kansas gonna beat Roy Williams a third time on the way to a championship game, book it.

I won't.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Go K-State. :toot:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I hate this bracket because I can’t figure out who Duke loses to. Zion is too much.

As long as Zion's healthy, I don't see Duke losing. Unfortunately.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Washington played like poo poo over the past month and got a deservedly bad draw, getting a hungry Utah State in the first round before a potential meeting with UNC next. It'll be a miracle if we make the Sweet Sixteen, but for our first tourney appearance in 8 years, I suppose things could be worse. Mike Hopkins has done a hell of a job turning things around.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It's probably inevitable, but a run of games from the second weekend on that's something like Virginia Tech - Michigan State - Gonzaga - UNC/UVA would at the very least make Duke earn it. Kenpom is definitely underrating Duke right now because of the injuries, but they'd still max out at a 25% or so chance of winning it, probably closer to 20.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The South region is weird as hell. I don’t trust any of these teams to make an Elite Eight run, much less a Final Four. If there’s a wacky upset region it’s probably that one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

WHY WOULD THEY EVEN ALLOW FOR THEVPOSSIBILITY FOR A WISCONSIN-UVA GAME TO HAPPEN

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

WHY WOULD THEY EVEN ALLOW FOR THEVPOSSIBILITY FOR A WISCONSIN-UVA GAME TO HAPPEN

Dick Bennett spoke to the Great Old Ones and is bringing doom upon us all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

Because they saw what happened earlier this season and said give me more of that poo poo.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/SportsChannel8/status/1107041567066521601?s=20

Lol

Moton is NC Central's coach, he made that comment 2 days ago

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 18, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Somehow I ended up putting Cincinnati in the final four

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

Somehow I ended up putting Cincinnati in the final four

I have Villanova losing in the first round in one bracket and going to the Final Four in the other.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

I have Villanova losing in the first round in one bracket and going to the Final Four in the other.

They are the most "if they make threes" team maybe ever so this actually seems about right

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yale upsets LSU in the first game, book it daddio

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
On principle I refuse to pick the ivy league school over the drunk corn dog smelling Cajun school

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Also Belmont upsets Maryland. I'm just giving these tips away!!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Also Belmont upsets Maryland. I'm just giving these tips away!!

I feel this way too. Maryland has lost a lot to some bad teams.

I haven’t made a lot of upset picks, so that means I will be very wrong and every favorite will be eliminated by the sweet 16.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Belmont is the sexy pick every year and they always get bounced. They still have a play in game too.

Also didn't know that the Yale guy who wrecked Baylor is now on Baylor.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
My bracket is mostly chalk but I just can't see where the big upsets are besides Yale and Belmont if they win the play-in.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

I feel this way too. Maryland has lost a lot to some bad teams.

I haven’t made a lot of upset picks, so that means I will be very wrong and every favorite will be eliminated by the sweet 16.

I didn't have many when I filled mine out either. At least on paper this seems like it probably should be a really chalky year.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Murray State over Marquette could be a possibility. Maybe UC Irvine over K-State? I haven't watched K-State any this year, but I know the Big 12 hasn't been very good.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'll have you the big 12 had the best strength of schedule

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UCI over KState was my first instinct for an upset pick but it feels like everyone is picking that one

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I know it's real, real dumb to pick UCI over K-State and I'm going to get owned for it just like I have for counting out K-State for most of this year, but it's too delicious, I had to do it.

But other than that and Murray State and Saint Mary's winning, I don't think I have that many mid-majors jumping up. I think I own myself a lot by only watching the bigger conferences, so I end up saying to myself, "Oh, I've seen Maryland a lot this year," without saying to myself, "Yeah, but are they any good?" And this is such a weird year outside of Duke, and I could see Duke suddenly have a meltdown at some point in the tournament. It seems whenever they've been at peak hype momentum, they drop a game. But I didn't reflect that in any bracket because if I'm going to live in a hell universe, might as well get a win out of it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

st louis over vt is my stone cold lock of the week

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Giggity

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

also duke is gonna look real ugly against vcu even though they’ll probably win just based on superior talent

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

lmao just came in here to post this.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

How stupid is it to put Purdue into the Elite 8?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

lmao just came in here to post this.
:same:
Where does that stack up vs being a champion of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm loving the teams placed in San Jose. The committee sure had a high opinion of teams in the southwest to place there and then every team in California and Arizona completely poo poo the bed this season. Somehow UC Irvine (13) and Oregon (12) get the only location advantage of the eight teams there.

LionYeti posted:

How stupid is it to put Purdue into the Elite 8?

If Kenpom is to be trusted, we should make it to 16, but having watched a lot of Purdue this year, I'd be surprised to see us make it that far. Carsen Edwards' decision making has completely fallen off a cliff. Also being in Louisville for a potential matchup S16 against Tennessee isn't ideal.