Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Poque posted:

I'm loving the teams placed in San Jose. The committee sure had a high opinion of teams in the southwest to place there and then every team in California and Arizona completely poo poo the bed this season. Somehow UC Irvine (13) and Oregon (12) get the only location advantage of the eight teams there.

I mean I guess relatively speaking but neither of those schools are especially close to San Jose either (and I don't think UCI really has a lot of fans willing to travel anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

MourningView posted:

I mean I guess relatively speaking but neither of those schools are especially close to San Jose either (and I don't think UCI really has a lot of fans willing to travel anyway)

Oregon isn't immediately close but California is a natural endpoint for a lot of Oregon grads. It's certainly a better situation for them than Wisconsin. UC Irvine I'll concede.

It might not matter as much since it's the Fri/Sun set of games instead of Thu/Sat.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Declan MacManus posted:

also duke is gonna look real ugly against vcu even though they’ll probably win just based on superior talent

If VCU doesn't have Marcus Evans back in time for game 1 I don't see them even getting the chance to play Duke.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Big come-from-behind victory, too.

edit: Lucky they didn't play Alabama.

Coco13 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 18, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I always pick 30-win teams on principle so I have UCI.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

LionYeti posted:

How stupid is it to put Purdue into the Elite 8?

I did. They have an easy path to it.

Or was it Sweet Sixteen? Whatever.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Honestly anybody could come out from the South Bracket. Tennessee is the only team that I don’t think can “lose to anyone”, but they could easily lose to Purdue or Villanova before the Elite 8.

Every other team in that region can definitely lose to anyone. Or beat anyone. :iiam:

Edit: for example I have Villanova losing to St. Mary’s because that would be like this Villanova team.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Georgia State's gonna knock off Houston

heard it here maybe second

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Can Villanova or Purdue shoot 3s really well? That has been Tennessee's bug a boo this whole season. Defending the perimeter against a good shooting team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

dirty shrimp money posted:

Georgia State's gonna knock off Houston

heard it here maybe second

I hope so because ISU is probably not beating Houston. I barely believe they’ll beat OSU, but I’m hoping for revenge for 2013.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Can Villanova or Purdue shoot 3s really well? That has been Tennessee's bug a boo this whole season. Defending the perimeter against a good shooting team.

Yes to both of them, but from what I can tell they’re both streaky, so you never know what you can get.

Also worth noting that it’s Villanova and Purdue and they could potentially not even be there by the time the sweet sixteen rolls around.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

FartingBedpost posted:

Honestly anybody could come out from the South Bracket. Tennessee is the only team that I don’t think can “lose to anyone”, but they could easily lose to Purdue or Villanova before the Elite 8.

Rick Barnes can absolutely lose to anyone. That's been the story of, like, his entire career

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rick Barnes can absolutely lose to anyone. That's been the story of, like, his entire career

Yeah someone brings it up every time Tennessee or Barnes is mentioned.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I don't watch college basketball but live in Houston.

Tell me how to be irate about UH's draw/seeding to talk poo poo to all the ACC transplants here.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Houston is actually overseeded and no one anywhere considers them a threat. You have set a great challenge for yourself here.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Even with a Rick Barnes team, I still think they’re the least up and down of all the teams in the South.

I mean, watch them lose first round now that I’ve said that.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Houston might literally be worse than the 5 and 6 seeds in their own region, which means they will be in the final four.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FartingBedpost posted:

Even with a Rick Barnes team, I still think they’re the least up and down of all the teams in the South.

I mean, watch them lose first round now that I’ve said that.

Biggest problem is depth and when another team goes on a run you can see them lose energy. That and not being able to defend the 3 to save their lives.

It's amazing that the team is as good as it is considering none of them were top-200 players coming out of HS except Grant and he was barely one.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poque posted:

Houston might literally be worse than the 5 and 6 seeds in their own region, which means they will be in the final four.

How can you tell? They haven’t really played anyone that great from what I can tell, but they only have 3 losses. Looks like they rebound well and that scares me as an ISU fan.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee could get bounced before the Sweet 16 or go on a good run. This is why I have them winning the whole freaking thing baby!!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hope we make it to the final for obvious reasons but also because Duke will likely be the other side and one of my best friends went to Duke and we've agreed if both teams make the final we'll go to Minneapolis for the game.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I pick Michigan to go far every year and I'm rarely disappointed. Except when my team plays them.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is anyone relevant going to be in the College Slam Dunk Contest?

I got an e-mail advertising tickets and they're surprisingly affordable but if it's just a bunch of weenies I'm not interested.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1107704583495864320?s=19

Having to actually play him every year would really take the shine off the joy of seeing ISU fans lose their minds. This seems kind of absurd on the surface but his grandpa coached there and Nebraska has been throwing a ton of money at the basketball program to try to get it going. They also have lax enough academics that he could get away with loading up on nothing but transfers instead of actually recruiting, which was his preference at ISU and something he couldn't get away with at a job like UCLA

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 18, 2019

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

How can you tell? They haven’t really played anyone that great from what I can tell, but they only have 3 losses. Looks like they rebound well and that scares me as an ISU fan.

Really just kenpom heh. but yeah, ISU is unbalanced between their offensive and defensive rankings and that could be problematic against a team like Houston.

I don't know why I put so much trust into a system like kenpom when it ALWAYS overrates Purdue

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

IcePhoenix posted:

Is anyone relevant going to be in the College Slam Dunk Contest?

I got an e-mail advertising tickets and they're surprisingly affordable but if it's just a bunch of weenies I'm not interested.

I don't think they've announced all the participants yet. It's been better than the NBA dunk contest fairly regularly in the past though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1107704583495864320?s=19

Having to actually play him every year would really take the shine off the joy of seeing ISU fans lose their minds. This seems kind of absurd on the surface but his grandpa coached their and Nebraska has been throwing a ton of money at the basketball program to try to get it going. They also have lax enough academics that he could get away with loading up on nothing but transfers instead of actually recruiting, which was his preference at ISU and something he couldn't get away with at a job like UCLA

Thanks. I hate it.

This just seems so bizarre to me because all I hear about is he wants to stay in the NBA, hates recruiting, and I think would hate to rebuild a program again. Except this time he’s rebuilding a program with no basketball history at all. Well, hope he succeeds I guess.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Houston is actually overseeded and no one anywhere considers them a threat. You have set a great challenge for yourself here.

So lock for Final 4?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Final 4?! Sounds like a National Champion to me.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
N: Buzz almost definitely going to Texas A&M once we lose, as apparently he's decided not to meet with our AD after the season to hear his 'stay at VT' pitch.

V: gently caress, we very well could be almost completely devoid of talent next year and better make a great hire if we want to try to build on our success. Initial names I've heard include Cronin, Oats, Hoiberg, though Twitter seems to think Hoiberg to Nebraska, so who knows.

Here's hoping we at least make the sweet 16 this year...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MourningView posted:

I don't think they've announced all the participants yet. It's been better than the NBA dunk contest fairly regularly in the past though.

Hmm, I guess I'll try to see if some friends want to go check it out then

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Houston -

+ really gets in guys faces on defense
+ rebounds well
+ isn't streaky in shooting
+ two good senior guards

- bigs always in foul trouble
- "big" means 6'7
- has the yips at the free throw line late in games
- Jim Valvano, Patrick Ewing, and Jordan Poole
- seriously, hasn't won a truly high profile game since 1968

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 18, 2019

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
too many fans on twitter are too convinced that unlv is gonna make a good hire that i'm now doubting it heavily

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Lessail posted:

too many fans on twitter are too convinced that unlv is gonna make a good hire that i'm now doubting it heavily

New UNLV coach: Garvin Benzies

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

FartingBedpost posted:

New UNLV coach: Garvin Benzies

it's more like i should be reading up on who is coaching the high school teams currently

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

untzthatshit posted:

If VCU doesn't have Marcus Evans back in time for game 1 I don't see them even getting the chance to play Duke.

he’s supposed to be back for the tourney so i’m not stressed

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Nur_Neerg posted:

N: Buzz almost definitely going to Texas A&M once we lose, as apparently he's decided not to meet with our AD after the season to hear his 'stay at VT' pitch.

V: gently caress, we very well could be almost completely devoid of talent next year and better make a great hire if we want to try to build on our success. Initial names I've heard include Cronin, Oats, Hoiberg, though Twitter seems to think Hoiberg to Nebraska, so who knows.

Here's hoping we at least make the sweet 16 this year...

I mean this sounds like B-S if only because wouldn’t you want some leverage to get a better offer out of Texas A&M?

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
Is there a group for goon brackets on ESPN?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Bird in a Blender posted:

Thanks. I hate it.

This just seems so bizarre to me because all I hear about is he wants to stay in the NBA, hates recruiting, and I think would hate to rebuild a program again. Except this time he’s rebuilding a program with no basketball history at all. Well, hope he succeeds I guess.

From a Lincoln Journal Star columnist this afternoon: https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...65e0b1f726.html

quote:

The Hoiberg-to-Nebraska possibility has been tossed around often. When it comes to the former Iowa State head coach, folks inevitably wonder about his relationship to college recruiting, and the comments he made a couple seasons ago.

“I absolutely ... hated recruiting,” he told the Office Show’s Keith Smith in 2017.

So, um, what about that comment, coach?

“There were a lot of things I didn’t like about recruiting; a lot of things are sometimes out of your control when you’re recruiting,” Hoiberg told Randy Peterson of the Des Moines Register a month ago. "Some of the things I liked about recruiting were building relationships with the kid and building relationships with the family. I liked that a lot. I felt like I was pretty good at it. We had some really high-level players (at ISU) as transfers and also as four-year guys.

“It’s the most important thing you do as a college coach, I get that. If it is a college opportunity, I’ll go 100 percent at it and do the best job I can to build the program."

"It is a grind," he added. "You can talk to any college coach, and they’ll tell you the same thing. And if they tell you something different, they’re lying to you.”

So that seems like a moot point.

I'm totally on board with this hire, if it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Real Name Grover posted:

From a Lincoln Journal Star columnist this afternoon: https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...65e0b1f726.html

So that seems like a moot point.

I'm totally on board with this hire, if it happens.

Yea I think he’s heavily hinted at that he hates dealing with AAU coaches and all the poo poo that goes with it. Might be another reason he likes transfers so much. Not sure how that changes when he goes back to Nebraska though.