Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
"Have you seen Admiral?" lmao

Grant Williams is cool and good and I'll be sad when he leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/...1%26page%3D1481

Welcome to the Kingdom, Iowa fans.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

UNC's Nasir Little questionable with the flu.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

There's a pretty significant overlap there already

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Been off the grid for the past several days, but I'd be shocked if Hoiberg to Nebraska isn't a done deal (or as done as it can be). He's in DC to watch his son play for Michigan State; guessing we get an announcement and press conference next Tuesday or so.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

drat, Oregon played the game completely wrong in the second half.

They didn't even try to push the pace on potential transition buckets. Pritchard played point like a jittery 8-year-old.

One of the worst game plans I've seen for this deep in the tournament.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Please ban Tony Bennett from coaching basketball

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I like Purdue's chances and it feels weird

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
A little close for comfort, gotta hope that Guy and Hunter get whatever this is out of their systems between now and Saturday.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

drat, Oregon played the game completely wrong in the second half.

They didn't even try to push the pace on potential transition buckets. Pritchard played point like a jittery 8-year-old.

One of the worst game plans I've seen for this deep in the tournament.

That's not how Oregon has played in the back half of the season when they've actually been any good. UVA eats transition teams for breakfast because the whole point is to wear them down on defense to the point they get exhausted and sloppy. Oregon stuck to the slow game and wore out Virginia in turn, and thus they stayed in it the entire way. That seems like a pretty drat good game plan to me, and very nearly one that worked.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
A couple years ago I went to a Wisconsin game with a buddy that went there and as a show of support I bought a Wisconsin shirt to wear. Bought it from the Big10 store, still get emails from them from time to time, no big deal.

Until last night, about 20 minutes after the game when I got this

gently caress you, big ten store

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/895124/2019/03/29/admiral-schofield-and-the-final-sad-moments-of-a-tremendous-career/?source=dailyemail&redirected=1

Good, albeit sad, article about Admiral. I can't remember the rules on quoting from pay sites but if you don't have an Athletic account get one dummy, it's 100% worth it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I would say it's 100% worth the sale price but there's usually a sale.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Edwards' back heel was out of bounds and that was not a foul goddamn it

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Opinion: Auburn's Bruce Pearl symbolizes the rot in college athletics
Opinion: Eat a dick haters!!!

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

All of the talking heads hot takes will be "Auburn is on a roll, and they've already defeated two bluebloods, so I pick them to beat Kentucky."

Only...

CATS

BY

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Chief McHeath posted:

All of the talking heads hot takes will be "Auburn is on a roll, and they've already defeated two bluebloods, so I pick them to beat Kentucky."

Only...

CATS

BY

:hmmyes:

Also, Beuce Pearl is in the Elite 8 but Tennessee is not. I find that amusing.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I think we can all agree the greatest evil in college athletics is a guy grilling hamburgers for some recruits

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
At least Kansas got their rear end drilled out of the tournament by what's turning out to be a good team. Silver linings.

And Tech might be legit! If it weren't for K-State winning the conference too, this might almost be a respectable demise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/heady_chris/status/1112025722422472704?s=19

Good job finding a way to come back to college basketball where I can't enjoy it, you dickhead

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

welcome to the Legends Division, meat

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Apparently Buzz agreed to leave VT for A&M last year, but wanted to stick around Tech to see how far this team could make it this year. He'll be going to $5.2m supposedly, leaving our cupboard almost completely dry of talent, and will likely get replaced by Mick Cronin. It was a good run with a disappointing end :)

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Texas A&M breaking the bank to consistently be the third best team in the SEC feels extremely on brand

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
You know, for some perverse reason, I'd be into a Tech vs Virginia championship game. Tech v Michigan part 2.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adun posted:

Texas A&M breaking the bank to consistently be the third best team in the SEC feels extremely on brand

More bang for their buck than they'll be getting out of football at least

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

[Good job finding a way to come back to college basketball where I can't enjoy it, you dickhead

:dance:

Supposedly bringing his old lieutenant Matt Abdelmassih to Lincoln -- he's considered one of the top recruiters of transfers in all the land.

E: Seven years, $25m -- puts him third in the B1G behind Izzo and Beilein

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 30, 2019

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Confirmed that Chuma Okeke tore his ACL, what abysmally lovely luck for a team that was looking as good as anyone the past few weeks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

elentar posted:

Confirmed that Chuma Okeke tore his ACL, what abysmally lovely luck for a team that was looking as good as anyone the past few weeks.

The loving sucks for him too, he was starting to work his way into the first round discussion.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

So in terms of the highest goal of stopping the Duke juggernaut, I guess you have to pull for Gonzaga tonight, since they're the only team who went toe-to-toe with a full-strength Duke and won. (Yes, Syracuse, but let's just chalk them up to being surprised they could actually bleed.)

I don't think they would have an easy time against Texas Tech either, that is a mean defense. But the thing with Tech is, they are great at efficient field goal defense, but they haven't been Zion-tested. And they're not good at preventing offensive boards, which is pretty goddamn important against Duke. The only upside would be them causing a lot of turnovers, which helps against a sloppy Duke that doesn't really care because they don't think they can lose, but not so much against a focused Duke that's in the Final Four and know they only need to try to win.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

elentar posted:

So in terms of the highest goal of stopping the Duke juggernaut, I guess you have to pull for Gonzaga tonight, since they're the only team who went toe-to-toe with a full-strength Duke and won. (Yes, Syracuse, but let's just chalk them up to being surprised they could actually bleed.)

I don't think they would have an easy time against Texas Tech either, that is a mean defense. But the thing with Tech is, they are great at efficient field goal defense, but they haven't been Zion-tested. And they're not good at preventing offensive boards, which is pretty goddamn important against Duke. The only upside would be them causing a lot of turnovers, which helps against a sloppy Duke that doesn't really care because they don't think they can lose, but not so much against a focused Duke that's in the Final Four and know they only need to try to win.

Elentar, my friend, instead of imagining ways for Duke to lose have you ever considered how fun it might be to cheer for the single most athletic and likeable college basketball player in at least 20 years? Duke should be an underdog in every game from here and I just wish there were more people (like you!) along for the ride.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Nur_Neerg posted:

Apparently Buzz agreed to leave VT for A&M last year, but wanted to stick around Tech to see how far this team could make it this year. He'll be going to $5.2m supposedly, leaving our cupboard almost completely dry of talent, and will likely get replaced by Mick Cronin. It was a good run with a disappointing end :)

Is that who they're going with? Everyone in Vegas was convinced they're gonna get Mike Rhoades

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Adun posted:

Elentar, my friend, instead of imagining ways for Duke to lose have you ever considered how fun it might be to cheer for the single most athletic and likeable college basketball player in at least 20 years? Duke should be an underdog in every game from here and I just wish there were more people (like you!) along for the ride.

I have said multiple times now that if they were wearing a different jersey and were coached by someone else, I'd probably be pulling like hell for them. I mean, Zion could coach them himself (how could he do any worse?) and they could be the Fightin' Zions, and they could challenge the field as an independent barnstorming team. That'd be great. There's no Laettners and no Wojos and no Redicks on this team, they're surprisingly likable in a way I don't think is likely to repeat any time soon.

But it's Duke, and it's K, and that's just not going to work. Now that UNC's out, give me anyone else in the field, and especially give me UVA's stultifying-rear end basketball, because I have personal connections to some of the players and I want to see them be happy. I don't want Duke fans happy, ever, at least not for reasons relating to college sports.

Nur_Neerg posted:

ugh I loving hate Mick Cronin, just the dirtiest teams out there

edit: i also think this Gonzaga team is the most likable one that Few has put together, as much as I hope Michigan State does the job, that Duke-Gonzaga one would burn literal barns

elentar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 31, 2019

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

elentar posted:

Err, so Tech played Duke to start the year. Zion Williamson played in that game. He scored 17. Duke wound up pulling away late to win by 11. Tech only had 1 player in double digit points that game.

Now, Tech is a much better team than they were when they played Duke. They're still running an 8 man rotation, but they're getting more out of their 7 & 8 now than they were back then, and they also found how to produce offense that wasn't just Jarrett Culver.

I'm sure Duke's a better team too, but I'd say that Tech improved more than Duke did.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

kayakyakr posted:

Err, so Tech played Duke to start the year. Zion Williamson played in that game. He scored 17. Duke wound up pulling away late to win by 11. Tech only had 1 player in double digit points that game.

Now, Tech is a much better team than they were when they played Duke. They're still running an 8 man rotation, but they're getting more out of their 7 & 8 now than they were back then, and they also found how to produce offense that wasn't just Jarrett Culver.

I'm sure Duke's a better team too, but I'd say that Tech improved more than Duke did.

For all of our sakes, I hope you are right.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

And Tech might be legit! If it weren't for K-State winning the conference too, this might almost be a respectable demise.

How did Tech lose twice to K State anyway? Dean Wade bamboozle people all night or something?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

*bangs frying pan with big metal spoon*

gently caress Duke, y'all.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Evil always wins. Pats, Trump, Duke.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Keyser_Soze posted:

Evil always wins. Pats, Trump, Duke.
Caesar when he crossed the Rubicon.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

Caesar when he crossed the Rubicon.

Zion Williamson as Titus Pullo

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This might be the one thread here where I don't see a bunch of articles from The Athletic linked constantly so here's a great one, go subscribe!

quote:

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It was a Friday night in November and Samir Doughty had one thought: Terrible shot.

Auburn was playing host to Washington in the third game of the season. Doughty, a junior transfer from VCU, was still finding comfort in the Tigers’ breakneck offense. And then junior guard Jared Harper came flying down the court and hoisted what Doughty deemed an, um, questionable shot.

“Just a terrible 3,” Doughty says. “A terrible 3, like terrible. Bro, we ain’t winning like that.”

Doughty looked at Harper, his expression conveying a certain displeasure. Harper stared right back. And then Tigers coach Bruce Pearl broke the tension, barking an important message.

“Coach is like: ‘That’s the shots we take,’ ” Doughty says. “ ‘We’re going to take those shots. You can take those shots all year long.’

“Since then, I’ve been like: ‘All right, I guess taking terrible shots is good shots, honestly.’ ”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Grittybeard posted:

How did Tech lose twice to K State anyway? Dean Wade bamboozle people all night or something?

The Big XII was magical this year, no one had a consistent read on anyone else. This Tech team lost by close to twenty in Lawrence.