Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Ugh, poor Jontay. I guess the Porter family doesn't have great longevity genes, since MPJ, Jontay, and Sierra all have had serious injuries. Wonder if he comes back or tries to get drafted or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1110225166901100545

lol this is all a poo poo show

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Michael, please get to the bottom of the NCAA cabal's vendetta against the University of Missouri Tigers athletic programs, we need you Bastaman

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Does Jontay Porter get drafted if he declares?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/hardknoxpizza/status/1115368798704537602?s=20

They’re offering the wrong guy food. Give these offers to Phil and watch him work some magic

Do any of these businesses truly follow through on their offers? Like if the coach or player gets fired or leaves the team or retires, are they still honoring their offers?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The NCAA is a joke. Everyone should just lie and or ignore them at every point and you can do whatever you want

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Jeremiah Tilmon declared for the draft for some reason (I guess to get notes on what to work on), but I think it's safe to assume he will be back next year since he fouls out of like half the games and wasn't dominating the floor when he was on the court.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

I was going to say, "If you're not eating Wheat State, what are you doing with your life?" but looking it up online shows it might be closed which might be the most depressing news I've had all day and I just hung out at a half-dead mall on recession safari.

So you were at the old Wheat State location in Lawrence then?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

this is basically FIBA rules and something I've thought the NCAA should have adopted ever since FIBA moved their 3pt line back and abandoned the trapezoid lane

plus, for maximum FIBAness we could get KU to re-install the old car horn they used as a buzzer at AFH up until about 2004ish, as that's a lot like the hooters they have in Europe

They NCAA should institute a rule change that demolishes Allen Fieldhouse

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Some 7 foot JUCO dude from France named Axel Okongo is coming to Mizzou this season and I'm excited to see some towering Project drop 2 PPG

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Troy Queef posted:

as a Mizzou fan I am not happy with this one bit

He's gonna be fighting for minutes on that team behind a bunch of more highly ranked players. Good luck my man

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

So I'm unclear on that story. Is the issue that her healthcare plan got hosed with or that she doesn't want to report to doctors?

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

I guess I don't really understand what the big deal is if you're working in what is essentially a sports medicine position and needing to consult with...doctors. Seems like a good way to keep these unpaid athletes healthier and less exploited by coaches (not as bad in basketball as football).

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article235306247.html

quote:

The NCAA is preparing to issue a notice of allegations that details multiple major violations in the Kansas men’s basketball program, The Star has learned.

The notice will come, sources told The Star, after a summer of speculation following a top NCAA official saying the organization would make findings against schools involved in a pay-for-play recruiting scheme investigated by the FBI.

When asked for comment, Dan Beckler, associate KU athletic director for public relations, told The Star that KU Athletics had not received any notification from the NCAA.

The Star also asked the NCAA for comment.

“Due to member-created rules, we cannot comment on current, pending or potential investigations,” Stacey Osburn, NCAA director of public and media relations, wrote in an email.

On June 12, Stan Wilcox, the NCAA’s vice president of regulatory affairs, said at least six schools would receive a notice of allegations for Level 1 violations this summer.

North Carolina State on July 10 received a notice of allegations that included two Level 1 violations.

Level 1 violations carry some of the most severe punishment, including postseason bans and loss of scholarships.

A NCAA notice of allegations starts a clock toward punishment, a timeline that could take several months to complete, likely past the end of the 2019-20 men’s basketball season.

Universities have 90 days to respond to a notice. The NCAA has granted extensions to schools in the past.

The school response then is sent to an NCAA enforcement committee. That committee has 60 days to file a reply and a “statement of the case.”

Next, a hearing date is scheduled with the NCAA Committee on Infractions. At that hearing, the university is allowed to present its case with an NCAA ruling to follow. The ruling could take several months to reach.

If a school is assessed penalties, it has the opportunity to appeal.

Kansas was among the schools associated with Adidas that were named during the federal investigation that led to the N.C. State notice of allegations.

Former Adidas employee T.J. Gassnola testified in federal court last October that he made payments of $90,000 on behalf of Adidas to the mother of KU basketball player Billy Preston and $2,500 to the guardian of Silvio De Sousa. Gassnola also said he agreed to pay $20,000 to Fenny Falmagne, the guardian of De Sousa, to help Falmagne exit an agreement to send De Sousa to Maryland, an Under Armour school.

Gassnola testified that KU coach Bill Self was not aware of the payments.

As a result of that trial, De Sousa was given a two-year NCAA suspension. Kansas appealed the second year of the punishment and the NCAA reinstated De Sousa, who is allowed to play this upcoming season.

Gassnola avoided prison time and was sentenced to probation.

One of KU’s NCAA issues could be Gassnola’s relationship to Self and assistant Kurtis Townsend as revealed in court.

Text messages showed that during the time KU was recruiting De Sousa, KU coaches were aware that Gassnola was in contact with De Sousa’s guardian, Fenny Falmagne.

Gassnola testified that Townsend asked him to contact De Sousa’s guardian. Falmagne told The Star he wanted to see if Adidas would send gear it didn’t need to Angola’s national team.

Third parties and/or boosters are not allowed to provide anything with monetary value to a recruit or the recruit’s family or guardian. It is possible the NCAA deems it inappropriate for Townsend to ask Gassnola to send gear to Angola.

ESPN recently reported that NCAA investigators were also working on cases at Arizona, Auburn, Creighton, Louisville, LSU and USC.

So assuming these schools will have to forfeit a preseason game or something

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

The funniest part is David Beatty is implicated in this too, for having extra coaches or something.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

SOP should be to deflect and deny and the NCAA has proven they don't give a poo poo unless you're allowing your players/coaches to rape people and then they might ban you from a bowl for a season. Just don't cooperate, they'll slam you for it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

OK, but give us football games too so Mizzou can dominate them in some of the games