Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
N: Buzz almost definitely going to Texas A&M once we lose, as apparently he's decided not to meet with our AD after the season to hear his 'stay at VT' pitch.

V: gently caress, we very well could be almost completely devoid of talent next year and better make a great hire if we want to try to build on our success. Initial names I've heard include Cronin, Oats, Hoiberg, though Twitter seems to think Hoiberg to Nebraska, so who knows.

Here's hoping we at least make the sweet 16 this year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Adun posted:

I mean this sounds like B-S if only because wouldn’t you want some leverage to get a better offer out of Texas A&M?

They poo poo money and supposedly are going to make him a top 5 paid coach, plus the massive facilities and logistical advantages their amount of money entails.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

With Buzz leaving for TAMU (is rear end my dude), all I can hope for is that we manage to end Zion's college career Friday night just to get one more game of the Buzz era.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Was hoping we'd take a shot at him, name had come up for VT along with Marshall & Cronin. If only we weren't still playing and already had an opening to fill >< Stupid timing.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Apparently Buzz agreed to leave VT for A&M last year, but wanted to stick around Tech to see how far this team could make it this year. He'll be going to $5.2m supposedly, leaving our cupboard almost completely dry of talent, and will likely get replaced by Mick Cronin. It was a good run with a disappointing end :)

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

elentar posted:

ugh I loving hate Mick Cronin, just the dirtiest teams out there

Have also heard it could Wojo or Marshall, and I'm definitely hoping for one of those two.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

gently caress Duke hooray! Hearing more and more noise around Wojo as VT's next coach, which I absolutely love because it creates a strange animosity from Marquette for stealing all their coaches.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

Wofford had a really dope offense and he built the program from Division II to one of the best mid majors in the country. They were top 20 KenPom this year and got a 7 seed from the SoCon. I'd be really happy with that hire.

Remains to be seen if he can recruit at a decent level or not, Wofford had no resources, and he's actually from SWVA near Tech, so it's coming home for him. I feel like we over payed him, but oh well. Dude needs to do some WORK recruiting our current squad and commits, because we have the chance to be an absolute tire fire with the # of players who've already jumped into the transfer portal or left for the draft.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

elentar posted:

Kerry Blackshear is transferring out of VT, I’m guessing to follow Peterson? Tough on Tech, they were already losing a ton of minutes.

Buzz Williams? Sounds like he's likely going pro, but put his name in the portal to figure out if he wants to transfer. Could still stay at Tech, but I'd guess he's playing overseas next year.

E: Just a clarification, putting your name in the transfer portal does not mean you're definitely transferring, you can take your name back out if you want. Unless you're Chris Clarke, since he's no longer welcome as a student at VT.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Any word why Chris Clarke was suspended?

Domestic violence. Punched his girlfriend in the eye, she went ballistic posting it on social media and such, but declined to include the detail that he hit her because she threatened to stab him while holding a knife. After he was suspended he reportedly handled things poorly on his end and ran out of welcome. Most recently was arrested for possession during the NCAAT. He'll play well for someone else next year I imagine.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Well everyone on the VT side of things thought star freshman wing Landers Nolley, top 100 kid out of HS, was going to transfer home to UGA, using the fact he recently had a kid there to get a waiver. New staff convinced him to stay, completely out of left field. Now have to hope he can convince Kerry Blackshear to stick around rather than go play for Kentucky, Kansas, or Florida, his three main suitors atm.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Wouldn't mind Blackshear on the Vols, don't think we are in for him though.

Sounds like UK, KU, UF, VT, or pro. His dad played pro ball in Spain for a long time while KJ was growing up, imagine he'll end up playing euro ball.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Cole Anthony committing next Monday. Hopefully to UNC so we've got a chance at holding on to 4* CG Anthony Harris...

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Cole Anthony committed to UNC yesterday, and Anthony Harris is committing at 6:30 EST tonight. He's currently on an OV to Chapel Hill, so have to assume ol' Roy got him too.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

And Roy pulls Anthony Harris also. Hopefully VT can convince a couple of their '20 targets to reclass, or it's gonna start getting ugly just trying to have enough bodies. Currently on track for 5 scholarship players. Thanks Buzz!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Mike Young doing a pretty good job holding down the fort in Blacksburg so far. Convinced high 4* R-FR Landers Nolley to come back after he put his name in the transfer portal. Seems about to lock down getting high 4* SO PG Wabissa Bede back from the portal as well, and it's sounding like if Kerry Blackshear chooses to play college ball this year, he'll be doing so in Blacksburg. He's also convinced a top 100 2020 PG, Jalen Cone, to reclass to 2019 and commit, which should be happening for VT Thursday. Went from not even having enough bodies to field a starting 5 of scholarship players to potentially competing for a bubble spot next year. Have to say I'm surprised given he's never really done big boy recruiting before or even had a recruiting budget.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT coming close to finishing off the '19 class finally; picked up commitments from 6'10" C John Ojiako and 6'3" SG Nahiem Alleyne, both talented kids who need some time to polish their game, .88 3* kids.

We have two spots left, one's being held for Kerry Blackshear still, and the staff is recruiting F Lok Wur extensively. Hopefully we get Wur, kid looks incredibly talented, but didn't get rated due to academic issues. He got his grades back on track and got eligible, so instead of looking at JUCO or prep, kid got some (reportedly) 34 offers in the last month. Just released a top 5 of TAMU, VT, Oregon, Hawaii, and Creighton. VT insider said he thinks he'd be a high 4* if he were rated now, and was supposedly offered by, but isn't considering, Kansas and Louisville. If I were him I'd go to Hawaii, but I think our priorities are different :)

If Coach Mike Young somehow gets Blackshear back and secures Wur, that's an incredible job staunching the bleeding from Buzz leaving.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Still consistently hearing Kerry Blackshear coming back to VT from VT's side. The feedback Tennessee is riding high on is the exact same thing he told every school he visited; great experience, great opportunity, etc. That guy that said KJ was down to just VT or Tenn was wrong at the time, was just speculating.

Also hearing that he'll decide in the next 72 hours, so should know one way or another shortly.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

It’s been the next 72 hours for like 3 weeks now

Any time now! :v:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Twitter seems to think Blackshear's committing to Florida tonight. Sucks if true, but makes sense for him, and I'll miss having him in O&M.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Makes sense, in that he's from Orlando, also where his family still lives. Honestly figured they'd be our biggest competition.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT flips 4* SG Joe Bamisile from Northwestern. Top 100 lengthy 2/3 who scores well at all three layers. Mike Young proving me SUPER wrong, dude's recruiting fantastically so far. We're a basketball school now!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

VT hosting top 40 PF Henry Coleman this weekend. Had his OV to Duke last weekend, entire VT staff was in last night to see him in-home. Won't be taking more than one more OV after this one. Smart money's on Duke, but desperately hoping we can snag him away, especially since he's in-state and his dad was a football star playing for Frank Beamer. If we managed to, our 3-player class would briefly be #1 in the country, which is just confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

kiimo posted:

I would like to formally welcome the Tennessee Volunteer fans into the “Oh poo poo football sucks when does basketball start?” club

Sadly enough, VT too this year.