Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In the 5th edition of the D&D Player's Handbook, Halflings are given an average height of 3ft while Gnomes are given an average height of 3-4ft. This is, frankly, BS and I don't enforce it when I DM.

Also while we're on the subject, Kobolds are described in the Monster manual as cold blooded reptiles but their physiology and behavior is more consistent with that of warm-blooded dinosaurs and dragons. If they were cold blooded, living in cold, underground caves would make them sleepy, not mischievous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hell yes, I love science threads.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
:biotruths:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Pretty sure Kobolds are spotted dog like creatures.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Halflings should not be a player race along all the other half-breeds like half golems (who would gently caress a golem!? How does that even work?!), half-beholders and others. Lings should take their place in some bestiary.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Halflings should not be a player race along all the other half-breeds like half golems (who would gently caress a golem!? How does that even work?!), half-beholders and others. Lings should take their place in some bestiary.

“Halflings” are D&D’s version of copyright-free Hobbits and, as far as I know, are not actually a hybrid of any two races.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Pawn 17 posted:

:can:

this is kind of like the fish/bird thing with sirens
one of them's the "right" one, but people have been waffling on it for so long that either one has enough precedence to not strictly be "wrong"

I think current greyhawk canon reconciles them as doglike lizards with goblinish traits

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

A gnome is an Earth Elemental (read your Paracelsus!!!), so it's perfectly okay for a Gnome to gently caress a Golem, as long as it's okay for a human to gently caress an Android.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
They're called halflings because they're half as tall as a normal person.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
aren't kobolds supposed to be little rat dudes who scream "you no take candle"?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also I don’t give a gently caress what the player’s guide says: Dragonborn have tails.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I hear the gnomes are better endowed in the, heh, penis area.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Applewhite posted:

“Halflings” are D&D’s version of copyright-free Hobbits and, as far as I know, are not actually a hybrid of any two races.

Nuh uh they are half lings.

What are lings? Perhaps one of the most guarded secrets of Gary Gygax. Maybe the next beastiary will finally let us know how many hps lings have and what loot they drop when killed.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Also I don’t give a gently caress what the player’s guide says: Dragonborn have tails.

Why aren't they called "Dragonhatched"?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

font color sea posted:

You are thinking of the Ratfolk.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Grevling posted:

I hear the gnomes are better endowed in the, heh, penis area.

Gnome account spotted.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Why aren't they called "Dragonhatched"?

Because Dragonborn are viviparous.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nuh uh they are half lings.

What are lings? Perhaps one of the most guarded secrets of Gary Gygax. Maybe the next beastiary will finally let us know how many hps lings have and what loot they drop when killed.

That’s how they make their money. They always tease that their next Monster Manual will reveal the secrets of the Lings but they never do.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Colonel Cancer posted:

i agree with col. cancer

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

font color sea posted:

That's from a different fantasy setting.

The one with two-pool Ling rushes.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

gnomes are the ones who should be dis-included. the other traditional races are all tolkeinesque metaphors for different historical peoples. gnomes however are (traditionally) more abstract metaphors for the capriciousness of nature.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zane posted:

gnomes are the ones who should be dis-included. the other traditional races are all tolkeinesque metaphors for different historical peoples. gnomes however are (traditionally) more abstract metaphors for the capriciousness of nature.

D&D has expanded beyond Tolkien and now steals from a wide variety of fantasy authors.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
name one interesting loving gnome!!!!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Zane posted:

Rumpelstiltskin? Also the leprechaun.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Zane posted:

Look no further than this video, friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3pFFPSlW4

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
op I feel that gnomes and hl should have reversed height stats tbh
perhaps gnomes should be even shorter than that idk

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Zane posted:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

SniperWoreConverse posted:

op I feel that gnomes and hl should have reversed height stats tbh
perhaps gnomes should be even shorter than that idk

Exactly! Right?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cZqRzHnI8s

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n3pFFPSlW4
This thread just got gnomed on tool

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

who would gently caress a golem!? How does that even work?!

Anyone who summons a golem is def trying to gently caress it. They even invented the FleshGolem explicitly for this purpose.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
How drunk are you dude?

This is quite the lovely thread deluge.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Mooey Cow posted:

Anyone who summons a golem is def trying to gently caress it. They even invented the FleshGolem explicitly for this purpose.

lies most golems are formed out of the most locally-plentiful resources

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Pawn 17 posted:

Kobolds are like Kirins, they seem to be different in every RPG universe. They range from mini Gnolls to short lizardfolk or rat-men with candles. My guess is at least in the DnD world, Kobolds as little dogs would be pointless because Gnolls exist. Even early artwork depicts them as little lizard goblin things.

Personally I think lizard Kobolds are way more interesting than when they are depicted as the Gnoll's lamer cousin.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
You just got gnomed on son.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Is this thread pro or anti Deekin?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I always thought gnomes should be full on David the Gnomes and ride foxes and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdZQub7QVE

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Zane posted:

Tolkien had gnomes in all that weird extra fluff stuff that nobody reads. They were the most tech-savvy type of elf.

Well, when I say nobody, I mean nobody except for people who need to rip off something for their totally new and unique fantasy setting, because god loving forbid they make up something themselves.

Deadbeat Poetry
Mar 6, 2004

Sorry if my costume scared you
I agree with the thread title but im not reading a loving WORD in this THREAD and theres NOTHING you can do about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

Because Dragonborn are viviparous.

They also feed their young milk, as evidenced by their scaly tits.