Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am glad that someone is finally LPing this series. It is one of the best.

Wish I could find more like it.

Out of curiosity, you plan on showing off the Scarred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Very nice. May the Purpose guide you.

Maybe I'll finally find out from this LP where the song "A Reflective Sky" is from.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, as an aside since I just noticed this and did not want you to miss it, one of the updates uses Rhue's portrait for "You all right Rhue? You look sick.".

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

My memory is a bit hazy, but did I not see a mirror behind the shopkeeper?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I think I can explain the Purpose of the Way line. I would not recommend people who haven't played the series click this.

Very early Christianity, we're talking when St. Paul was alive, was called "The Way." See Acts.

The games are rife with mostly subtle and some not-so-subtle references to Christianity. Slade's skill, Outer Darkness, is in fact one, but you would never notice it being one until later. Most people would think it is just a cool attack name until they start noticing other references, many of which are, again, subtle.

There's therefore two ways to read the line.

1) God is truth. Fairly simple.

2) Purpose as lowercase. The purpose of going through the Way is to find the truth, implying that the Purpose does not exist as a separate entity but is in fact an anthropomorphized abstract concept. In 2 Peter 2:2, Peter refers to following Christ as "The Way of Truth." Notice that you found the line in Episode 2, which is either coincidence or a blatant reference.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 2, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I believe you have Slade's skill, "Outer Darkness", as "Out Darkness" in the post.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Who says the shadow plunger has anything to do with the sword at all? It comes around just after Scatha talks about demons.

It is a demon. The portrait has blatant horns and the being is on fire. That's why Rhue is freaking out - he says it himself: "What are you?"

That is why Rhue is confused when Scatha asks about "the man" - she is not talking about the shadow plunger, who she never even saw. Remember, she was not awake for Rhue's encounter with it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 10, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fleshwit, are you going to mention that there was originally an alternate version of the Lexus scene?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You missed something.

Look again at what exactly Slade says while breaking down with random words. Perhaps arranging it this way will help.

quote:

Young
Existence
Stringent
Harsh
Undermind
Arrogance

Selfish
Abomination
Vanity
Embitter

Meandering
Endless

See it now?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 8, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's there somewhere, if I recall.

Oh yes, thank you for telling me what A Reflective Sky is.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem with Master of the Wind is just that it is far, far too long.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

There is something that makes Lexus worth bringing along, and honestly Thorn of a Rose does do absolutely massive damage to enemies and not that much to allies if I recall.

Plus, we're getting so much XL now the sapping isn't actually that big of a deal.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I want to say that when Rhue/Lexus pops up it's supposed to indicate that they are doing a combination attack for large damage.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So, obviously, Kavax is Kava + x.

Now, does that mean Exmus is Emus + x? No wonder he was champion, in another life he beat all of Australia.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

One thing that is great about The Way is how it never straight up tells you what dots to connect, but like in the conversation with Traziun's mother, if you remember bits and pieces certain things become obvious and in fact somewhat horrifying.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 30, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What's great about the suspicion you mentioned is that you would only have it before now if you studiously examined objects throughout the series.

Whereas if you did not, you would only now start to think something is up.

(Who's gonna take a stab at what we are talking about?)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 30, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Someone has pointed out that Rhue's name has all the letters in Jeruh earlier.

That guy being involved is pretty much a freebie.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 30, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

King of Bleh posted:

I don't know how to fully parse that ending either narratively or thematically, but "holy moley" indeed. The "walk with me" segment and then the one after it seems as close as you could get to expressing a thesis for the game. I think it's suggesting, and this is even kind of subversive from within the context of a cliched JRPG setting, that the grand quests and tragic destinies etc are all just lovely window dressing that gets in the way of people connecting with each other. That's a pretty novel punchline to put in a game like this.

What actually digetically happened to the characters we didn't know to already be dead seems less clear, that one final shot of the bloodstain is annoying opaque in that regard.

That seems right. Pretty much everything about Tetzel is like this.

Speaking of Pontifex Maximus Tetzel, who killed Eyashu:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Tetzel

Something is rotten in the Guided. Probably.

(Also, I point out that Gharon's strongest attack is End of The Way.)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 1, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What makes you think the Illuminati are the Shadow Swords, out of curiosity?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fleshwit posted:

Oh, Gaius probably has no reason to be frightened of the Phantom Slasher. In fact, if somehow it did manage to kill him, I suspect it might do have the same effect killing Traziun did.

Rhue literally couldn't hurt Gaius with the sword on two separate occasions. The mostly accepted idea is that the sword outright refuses to harm Gaius because of... whatever Kalmar did to make him his Perfect Blade. His Ultimate Instrument of Justice. Just like the Illuminati and the Shadow Swords.

And Traziun was the -failed- Perfect Blade, if you remember.

It's either that, or Phantom Slasher cannot harm Gaius because he carries the final pure Illuminati.

As you can imagine from meeting up with Arctura, Phantom Slasher was originally Arctura.

Phantom Slasher was corrupted in the Lord Below's desperate attack, and it enacts justice on people because it believes they cannot change, possibly due to fear. When Traizun stabbed himself with no fear, the sword realized it was wrong and that not all fail (see its line in the Reaches ending), and by its own standards it must be destroyed.

What's probably going on here is that Rhue is Venge, son of the Lord Below that survived the desperate attack. Phantom Slasher is either lying about not knowing who he is, or lost its memory of being Arctura (it is probably this one). The easiest explanation of how Venge got Arctura is that he was given it to kill his father, whose brow he scarred with it. Sacrifia's version of the story is probably the wrong one.

Normal people would go mad from the Shadow Swords' aura absorption properties, which are probably a result of their corruption. However, because Venge is a demon and survived his father's attack, he somehow gained the property of taking on other people's appearances and identities.

The mirrors are the first hint. Venge does not like them because they risk his realization that his appearance keeps changing. Traizun's mother saying "your face keeps changing" is the second.

So, Phantom Slasher swapped the main aura as needed to accomplish its goals. This either allowed it to gain a functionally unlimited amount of auras and therefore functionally infinite power, or it just liked to not have to go through the trouble of finding a new host.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 2, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nobody is sure who the two people in Jeruh's memory are.

Some theorize it is Tetzel and Eyashu. There's just nothing.

It is possible that the sword involved is not Phantom Slasher, it doesn't seem to kill kids. It is also clear that Jeruh discarded whatever sword he had.

---

Snake Maze posted:

Looking back, I'm kind of sad the setting as presented in chapter 1 ended up not mattering much. The setting is honestly really cool, but the story we were actually told would have worked just as well in a more traditional fantasy setting. Honestly, it probably would have worked better - there were a lot of well constructed cities, forts, and organizations with elaborate hierarchies for a people who are constantly on the move.

Would it help if I said that The Way is probably a circle?

---

As for not seeing Kura...

...yeah I got nothing. That's a good point.

Do we see Cade? The sword definitely has his aura.

I do not think Kavax would be wrong, though, and I have an idea as to why.

It's worth noting that Kavax doesn't point out the changing face, unless he is being cute when he talks about water. It could be that, as the Pharaphalyn, he has the power to just see Rhue as he really is, and he sees Kura after "understanding his mind."

I suggest that Kura was Venge the whole time without any sword aura swapping shenanigans after changing his name. In this formulation, he only became the Mimic after Kava was killed and he couldn't use the Kura identity anymore.

Note that it is Rhue as Kura who kills the Guided in the play. I think when you read the Kura poem and what Sacrifa says about it, you're supposed to get the idea is that Kura decided that the Guided betrayed him as well, and he decided to execute them all as revenge the night after. Meaning the improvisation is what actually happened, and there was no "ghost of Kava."

That could be why the second part of the Venge poem has "fading into the night." Kura faded away from memory after massacring the Guided that night.

---

The only hole in all this is the legend relayed by Castor that the Landorin Massacre marked the birth of Phantom Slasher.

I think that could be a reason to suspect Tetzel's involvement. I believe it is said that Tetzel is the one who spread the legend of Phantom Slasher. If he was there, and started spreading the legend then, then the comment that the Massacre birthed Phantom Slasher becomes true. Making the seemingly contradictory origin legends of Phantom Slasher technically true all at once. This is similar to how the poem room with its legends about The Mimic, Kura, and Venge are best understood with the idea that they are all describing the same exact entity.

I imagine Episode 7 would have explained this by explaining Tetzel.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 3, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Traziun's life was spent consumed with revenge against the killer of his mother, who he thought was his father Kalmar. Kalmar showed Traziun what truly happened. He had an opportunity to take revenge on Rhue, his mother's killer, and instead chose to sacrifice himself, proving the sword's given reasoning behind why it kills people (being unable to change and presumably move on from their sins) wrong.

Thus, it felt remorse. Phantom Slasher was supposed a holy weapon of justice. Its criteria for what is just was warped by the Lord Below, but not the fact that it is supposed to stand for justice. It could not bear the idea that it might be unjust, and destroyed itself.

---

I should probably mention the Books of Sermeot owned by Tetzel.

Sermeot is a servant of the occult demon subprince Ariton. Ariton has the power to see past, present, and future, making the book name quite fitting.

The name was probably lifted from this: https://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Magic-Abramelin-Dover-Occult/dp/0486232115

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jul 3, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem I have with suggesting that it is Rhue in control of his own body is the fact that the dream world still exists.

I do not see how continuing to entertain a fantasy inside a dream world would enable him to display such powers.

Plus, why would he say "I have no end."? That does not sound like him at all.

That said, I do not believe it must be Phantom Slasher. It could be the original Venge personality. I am not sure why Traziun would stop Gaius from chasing Rhue if Phantom Slasher was in control.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I mean there's really three options.

One, it's Phantom Slasher. The problem with that idea is that it does not make sense for Traziun to stop Gaius if there was danger of a crazed flying executioner. It is also not clear why this situation would grant Phantom Slasher control over the body. If outright puppeting a body was something Phantom Slasher could do, one would think it would have done it by now.

Two, it's Venge. This would explain the "I have no end" line, seeing as how he is an immortal shapeshifting flying demon. It would also explain why Traziun forces Gaius to let him go, because it's not clear Venge would be under the control of Phantom Slasher. It's not inevitable that a Shadow Sword controls its wielder, as both Kalmar and Traziun himself demonstrated.

It could be that the reason Traziun showed up was to eliminate Phantom Slasher; he recognizes that the sword is the problem, which is why he sacrifices himself to destroy it in the normal ending and in the process prevent Gaius from possibly killing Rhue. Traziun was never going to kill Rhue, because if he was, he would not have ditched Night Reaper. If the new personality is in control, the sword is no longer a problem.

Three, your suggestion. The holes in it are the very dramatic line and the fact that the Rhue personality is clearly in the sword with Lexus.

By the way... no comment that in the Lexus ending, Cetsa is alive for some strange reason?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 3, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait, I see it now. I just realized that Traziun's mother means Rhue's not the same person, even if his face is the same, not that his face keeps changing.

I always read her conversation as meaning his face kept changing, when actually she means his personality did.

So scratch shapeshifting off the list. I think I read too much into how Lun decided to give Rhue the same eye and hair color as Jeruh. They practically look related.

I guess the Mimic poem is literal: he just stole their names.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 3, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fleshwit posted:

That's honestly probably why the E1 Headhunter attacks Rhue despite the fact that if there's a bounty on Jeruh, he's most likely the one that put it out there.

That scenes also really curious with the idea that originally that Headhunter was looking for Gaius. Did Lun always intend for him to have the role he did? Maybe The Blood Lyn were looking for him too originally? They don't really seem the type to put out bounties though.

Gaius is the second Blood Lyn who escaped, with Traziun being the first, I thought. So they would definitely want him dead I would think.

I can't remember, did you bring up that Gaius is the Harbinger?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Oh, right.

To tell the truth I was under the impression that the Headhunter was a Blood Lyn, but I suppose that makes little sense.

EDIT: Also I'm wrong. Traziun mentions that Blood Lyn were "not" sent after Gaius. I suspect the change from Gaius to Jeruh was a retcon to accommodate the fact that Gaius is the Perfect Blade.

I personally suspect that the thing that makes Gaius perfect is that he willingly pushed away his attachment to Kloe, while Traziun could not push away his attachment from his mother.

That said, would have been nice to know what Traziun's failed task was.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 3, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

My guess?

To destroy the Shadow Swords or kill Tetzel.

The first explains why Traziun makes his snarky comment about his dad Kalmar being young, he knows why. He would have had to be given information on Shadow Swords.

The second would explain why Gaius has infiltrated the Guided. The Blana Sera hate the Guided, and killing Tetzel would align with that.

EDIT: Oh wait, you mean before he was made the Perfect Blade.

Yes, I would imagine he was just a Senser. It just fell by the wayside, just like all the stuff about Bloodlife and Menders being special.

I think at some point The Way shifted from being a story about a world, to the story of Rhue. Hence all the unresolved details like Tetzel, the Citadels, what the deal is with the Blana Sera, et cetera.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 3, 2019

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You and I both know that Master of the Wind will also take forever anyway. Dear "God" does that game drag on.

You will spend hours transcribing dialogue.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The sword Jeruh used is probably not Phantom Slasher.

Compare the shapes of the weapons. They are a tad different. Lun was pretty good about differentiating his Shadow Swords, which is why you are able to identify Ghost Horror and Night Reaper in the endings, and people by their silhouette.

There is an alternative theory as to where the Last Illuminati is: Gaius has it.

It would explain his powers, and why Rhue cannot harm him.

Also, keep in mind that the background manual says that there were "TWO" tragedies in Landorin. Wonder what the second one was?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That "guardian" thing is actually a great suggestion. It being a projection of Night Reaper would explain why Rhue's sword goes insane in that battle, as it goes ballistic whenever it is around anything having to do with another Shadow Sword.

It could be that Jeruh used Ghost Horror, but the main issue with that is Kalmar. Kalmar has been implied to be using it for an extremely long time, and the Massacre occurred within living memory. I cannot imagine he would have let Jeruh live, considering his "kill 'em all" attitude.

Hence the theory that Tetzel is involved. It's not clear who the two men are, whose sword that was, and how Jeruh lost it. I recall it being stated that Tetzel is the person who warned everyone about Phantom Slasher. Which begs the question of how he would know about it, and just so happened to give it a name that sounds suspiciously like a Shadow Sword.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 3, 2019