Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW OP are you using Irfanview? It'd help a lot since it only takes pictures of the client area so the game's window elements don't show up. You an also use it to resize portraits to keep em mostly the same.

You might also wanna use LPix.org with the Rightload plug-in, it'll be way faster and more reliable than imgur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well that story has more holes than swiss cheese.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can't get a bead on Rhue. Just talk to the woman, you're gonna look shady as gently caress if you do this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can see how this game became popular but goddamn is the plot ever frustrating. It feels like we're doomed to burn bridges with everyone.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I feel like too many people in this game have a habit of slashing first and asking questions later.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Now is not the time. If you want to talk to her continue on to Estrana.

WHY!?

You're literally making it a bigger hassle for the both of you!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

There are some interesting ideas here, but they definitely needed an editor.

Seriously. Another problem with ALL this loving build-up is that there is no way the twist can meet expectations.
I'm also getting whiplash from so many personality changes. Like hey, what happened to the treasure??

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I do hope we get some answers soon. I can't even get a bead on what's Rhue's deal.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I guess that's one way to get the party together?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair Rhue, you left her tied up. What'd you think would happen?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This game needs to work on the climaxes to its side events. Like let Rhue accomplish something

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was an okay segment. It's nice when Rhue is not a total dick because he can actually interact with people. This game works a lot better when Rhue has someone to talk to and when it lets him accomplish his goals.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

A two turn delay on moves is bad unless they get some crazy multiplier that makes it worthwhile. This game's design is real strange

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay cool so we can absorb souls as well as rocks, neat.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

What exactly posses these people to think that they can kill Rhue after he bailed them all out?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rhue can you please stop burning bridges with everyone for like 2 seconds??

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I dunno, even among other characters he's obviously the odd man out. Like he still asks Tidus-esque questions but without(?) the Titus-esque excuse. Like the game is screaming pretty hard that Something Is Off About Rhue, but it's taking a painfully long time to elaborate on what that is.

As for the game design, from what I understand this was in vogue back in the day. People wanted to make their games seem unique so they would do things that the big name devs wouldn't do, like hide items behind obnoxious walls. It would be some time before people learned that big name devs don't do this kind of poo poo for good reason.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Exercu posted:

Meanwhile in ffxii there are a bunch of chests you can't open starting from the beginning of the game unless you want to be locked out of the best weapon in the game.

Sure but that's one example in the game, though FFXII's approach to loot was...odd. And it was fixed in the IZJS release

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Using dark magic to try and heal your lover? What could possibly go wrong???

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For all the crap people give Rhue about plunging we're already at level 5 of 8 of their scaling system which should put us like above 70% of the people who do this poo poo.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You're a trooper for all that. drat what the hell Lun. And from what I understand you got all the power-ups you could at this point?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I mean like I get it, there was little chance that we would succeed but goddamn do I not like the game jerking us around like this.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

In the time we've known her, she lied people, conned them out of money, murdered them and planned on leaving Kloe to die.

If Rhue trusts her after that he deserves the knife that will inevitably be in his back.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This goddamn better have been worth it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:nallears: called it

I'm sure this would have been very impressive if I wasn't tired of Slade and his ability to stop any progress Rhue makes in his quest.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I am fully on board with Rhue killing Pinky here, seriously this is just exhausting now.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'd love to see some of this realistic dialogue.

It's a lovers' quarrel isn't it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rhue you really need to start demanding answers from people.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Props to Lun for finally giving some answers. That was really tiring.

I don't know why Strata suddenly cares about Lyrra, he was incredibly dismissive of her before and he was shown to be a huge rear end in a top hat who abused his own strength and power. When'd he finally decide to become so loving just?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Interesting we went from FF6 and BoF2 backgrounds to standard RTP from RPGmaker.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Okay, that was a neat diversion, and I suppose it was a good twist too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

For real. This is becoming a bad habit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well hey that was a nice idea for a segment. It has the problem that "the player cannot accomplish the one thing he needs to accomplish" but eh I guess.

You know, speaking of which, for all of the time we spent looking for Dancing Violet, we actually know remarkably little about her. She also died with minimal fanfare too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think Gaius shoved us into the world inside Rhue's Sword which has all the people it killed inside of it. The thing with Sorya just confirmed it. And I bet that spire is our way out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Regallion posted:

That's an awful lot of people for it to be true.
Did he also stab some buildings food and tech for good measure?

Well Rhue's sword is a Shadow Sword and Rhue is prob not its first wielder. We might even find some of the others inside Frostmourne-ville.

As for why it's Estrana, that I have no idea.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I've been kinda cold on this game, but this LP's been hella entertaining and I do wanna see how this ends!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rhue is taking all of these developments surprisingly well, both given his situation and given his personality.

Lol that we just bought a shiny new house in a blasted out town.

EDIT: Actually speaking of which, we have yet to meet Lyrra, right? If we are inside of Rhue's sword, she should be around here as well.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 28, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We became the best Plunger with surprisingly little fanfare. No other details why the other dude wanted to give up his title either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm gonna be honest, if that was the ending I got after 6 goddamned episodes, I'd be annoyed as all hell. After the endless parades of distractions and finding straw for holes in buckets we find out that Serena is dead.
I actually called this earlier because that would have been perfectly in line with the rest of Rhue's story thus far. I didn't wanna post about it cause I didn't wanna be bagging on this story super hard and I was promised episode 6 to get weird so I held my tongue.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think Lun can write tragedy within the framework of a game, and I think Lun recognizes that in himself too. Lun's quests felt like he ran out of ideas. Remember the endless parade of quest lines we had to do in ep 5 that ultimately resulted in us accomplishing absolutely nothing? That's what this ending was, that Lun just ran out of ideas on how to put more obstacles before Rhue and his increasingly-unattainable goal. Of course the final punchline would be that Serena is dead. Of course it is. If you look at it from that perspective, it's obvious.

I also find the navel-gazing dubious because while the game waxes about the nature of human relationships it's kind of lost considering we're a guy who might be possessed by an evil sword and might not even be his own person.

EDIT: maybe I'll hold off my judgement for when we see the other endings.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

Above all else though, I feel like I didn't experience The Way so much as I did experienced one man's attempt at creating something called The Way. The story gave me plenty of pause to think, but more than that I found myself thinking about the process of writing, designing, imbuing emotion, and all the blood sweat and tears that went into a man taking an idea from his mind and showing it to the world. What an odd and peculiar thing that it would be channeled through a piece of dated, buggy, poorly translated Japanese software and yet somehow still let me experience that process.

Gotta admit, this is a sentiment I agree with a whole lot. I think I sort of admired the story a lot more than I admired the story itself. It just feels really unfocused and like it switched directions halfway through. We started out living the life of a Wanderer and then ended up trying to break free from the thrall of a cursed sword. Like either of those would be neat stories but mashed together...IDK.

This was a cool LP though! You went above and loving beyond for this game, giving us history lessons, interviews and stuff. I really appreciated that :) Well done OP!