Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

Get hiya, end thread.

That's what I did. I have all numbers that match the first 6 digits of my phone blocked. It catches 99% of them since that's usually what they use to try to make it look local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I just have caller ID and use T-mobile scam id. Works great.

On my work phone I pick up 100% of the time though because businesses still do business on the phone

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Everyone likes to say they like to gently caress with them for hours and waste their time, but they're mostly on to that now and will quickly hang up the second they think you aren't gullible/serious. There are so many and they are generally so stupid that it's bound to work sometimes, but those guys probably aren't the ones doing the real harm and would probably struggle scamming a senile 90 year old.

If you answer and sound like just another college kid and you don't immediately start giving them your real information they'll probably hang up on you. Even the "professionals" like hoax hotel get called a madarchode and hung up on immediately sometimes.

also the most entertaining scammers are the cameroonian pet scammers like this pomera puppy guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeL4HBPTUw

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

and people say reading gbs is a waste of time

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I've been going through my dad's phone contacts to tell everyone he passed on.

The answer to, "who the hell picks up the phone anymore?" Is "Baby Boomers"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Statutory Ape posted:

I just have caller ID and use T-mobile scam id. Works great.

On my work phone I pick up 100% of the time though because businesses still do business on the phone

Same here (except I also use the block number on the iPhone which keeps them from ringing my phone)

The scam id works great for scams like the fake lawsuit one I got a few days ago, but hasn’t caught up to the extended car warranty one I get more often

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I like to get a live person on the line and have them change the number they have for me to a non-emergency police number, then ask if they can call right back.

I like this idea.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I get ones in Chinese all the time it’s odd

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I get 4-5 spam calls a day that play a recording telling me to refinance my student loans. Always different numbers, half of them spoofed to look local. They all leave the same voicemail too.

DUE TO OUR NUMEROUS ATTEMPTS TO REACH YOU...

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

I get ones in Chinese all the time it’s odd

same here tbh. automated chinese messages

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Android has a new-ish setting where you can make suspected spam calls not even ring your phone. Now I just get them a few times a month instead of every day

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Chinese calls are this scam - https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/2018/04/scammers-impersonate-chinese-consulate

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

somewhat related to that, one of my phones is a one plus 6t and the block number functionality (manual block, ie, ex gf you dont wanna interact w, etc) 'blocks' the number but still pops up w notifications that its contacting you which

may be the most retarded functionality ive ever heard of tbh

e:

i had a friend translate it for me and he said something about the phone call basically wishing me good luck on the day, something roughly analogous to a fortune cookie or so lol

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
I have started getting calls from Belarus and Senegal at 4 in the morning this month. I don't know why it's not easy to tell my carrier to block all international calls, I cannot foresee ever wanting one. It's bad enough I have to talk to non-Americans on the internet.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I never get tired of stupid old people stories about them thinking the cops really deal in Apple iTunes gift cards purchased at the Target. it's hilarious and the old people lose lots of money so it's really a win win all around.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tato posted:

I never get tired of stupid old people stories about them thinking the cops really deal in Apple iTunes gift cards purchased at the Target. it's hilarious and the old people lose lots of money so it's really a win win all around.

tbh its not just olds that fall for that, back in the day i remember some dude in his 20s/30s that bought like 3k-4k worth and was mystified that tech support still needed more money to fix his $2000 mac book

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://youtu.be/FO0iG_P0P6M

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Statutory Ape posted:

tbh its not just olds that fall for that, back in the day i remember some dude in his 20s/30s that bought like 3k-4k worth and was mystified that tech support still needed more money to fix his $2000 mac book

We received an email like this at work, it was reported we sent out an email reminder about scams and directly referenced the email. Two people admitted to sending "the CEO" thousands in iTune and Steam gift cards.

The person claimed to be in China and needed gifts (lies the CEO was sitting in his goddamned office). It also promised to pay them back double when he got back.

4 more people fell for it after the reminder email and deleting every email with that subject from the server because of course they somehow found a way to still have a local copy. This actually ruined Christmas for one of the people as they had used a debt card and spent all their kids present money before buying presents. The bank refused to do poo poo. People that used Credit Cards had better results in claiming fraud.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Everyone is bad with computers, and by extension understanding scam calls.

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/

“Below Level 1” = 14% of Adult Population Because not even the study thought people could be this bad.
An example of task at this level is “Delete this email message” in an email app.

14% of people age 16–65 cannot delete an email

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pixaal posted:

We received an email like this at work, it was reported we sent out an email reminder about scams and directly referenced the email. Two people admitted to sending "the CEO" thousands in iTune and Steam gift cards.

The person claimed to be in China and needed gifts (lies the CEO was sitting in his goddamned office). It also promised to pay them back double when he got back.

4 more people fell for it after the reminder email and deleting every email with that subject from the server because of course they somehow found a way to still have a local copy. This actually ruined Christmas for one of the people as they had used a debt card and spent all their kids present money before buying presents. The bank refused to do poo poo. People that used Credit Cards had better results in claiming fraud.

lmao imagine being outed as such a sycophant that you had to cancel christmas

tbqh i cant think of a better fate for a bootlicker

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tato posted:

I normally laugh, but my dad actually ended up getting scammed this exact way out of $20k. I have no idea how, because I only found out since I have access to his banking info and questioned him on it - he was clearly really embarrassed by the whole thing and keeps quiet about it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HD DAD posted:

I normally laugh, but my dad actually ended up getting scammed this exact way out of $20k. I have no idea how, because I only found out since I have access to his banking info and questioned him on it - he was clearly really embarrassed by the whole thing and keeps quiet about it.

your dad purchased 20k in itunes gift cards?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
that's why the scams work so well. Old people are stupid gullible morons by and large and easy to scam. Then they're so embarrassed at being idiots that they won't even report it or keep getting scammed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

lmao imagine being outed as such a sycophant that you had to cancel christmas

tbqh i cant think of a better fate for a bootlicker

They actually did it thinking they would have double the money to spend on their kids and were devastated

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Statutory Ape posted:

your dad purchased 20k in itunes gift cards?

Specifically $2k in Target cards, and then two weird checks for $9k each. I initially thought someone just stole his ID, but apparently nope, it was him. Unless he has some secret drug empire on the side, all he ever told me was he was scammed, and a phone call was involved.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

pixaal posted:

“Below Level 1” = 14% of Adult Population Because not even the study thought people could be this bad.
An example of task at this level is “Delete this email message” in an email app.

I think it's saying that deleting an email is an example of something they CAN do, but that's the limit of their abilities.

I'm more concerned about the 26% who can't use a computer at all

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Specifically $2k in Target cards, and then two weird checks for $9k each. I initially thought someone just stole his ID, but apparently nope, it was him. Unless he has some secret drug empire on the side, all he ever told me was he was scammed, and a phone call was involved.

tbh if i was cheating on my wife and had to accommodate my other woman i would probably just say i got scammed too

babe i totally got scammed out of diapers and a crib at target idk how it happened but

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think it's saying that deleting an email is an example of something they CAN do, but that's the limit of their abilities.

I'm more concerned about the 26% who can't use a computer at all

Your right I read this wrong for years.

okay 26% of people can't delete an email it's even worse than I thought.

On top of that 14% of people can't search their email for simple things like "all emails from Joe"

40% of the population can't use a basic search :cripes:

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i was in a cell phone store the other day and some old people were returning their phone as defective because it didnt have a dial tone

cell phones have been around long enough that these people werent even loving old when they came out now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Statutory Ape posted:

tbh if i was cheating on my wife and had to accommodate my other woman i would probably just say i got scammed too

babe i totally got scammed out of diapers and a crib at target idk how it happened but

Lmao I would have probably gone with that explanation, but my mom’s dead so

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

pixaal posted:

If you read about halfway down this there's a graph showing that the greatest proportion of "cannot use a computer at all" is found in Japan. Initially that was surprising to me because I think of Japan as a place where everybody has all the latest gadgets, but on reflection I guess it's also got a hell of a lot of old people lol

(Japan also has the greatest proportion of "strong" users, but that proportion doesn't vary nearly as much between countries)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Hammerite posted:

If you read about halfway down this there's a graph showing that the greatest proportion of "cannot use a computer at all" is found in Japan. Initially that was surprising to me because I think of Japan as a place where everybody has all the latest gadgets, but on reflection I guess it's also got a hell of a lot of old people lol

(Japan also has the greatest proportion of "strong" users, but that proportion doesn't vary nearly as much between countries)

But it caps the age of participants to 65.

Age actually has nothing to do with computer skills I work in IT and see how terrible schools are at teaching people computers.

Story: I had a user who was in college looking for a summer job we hired them for customer service. They were confused by the mouse and kept poking the goddamn monitor. They insisted they only knew how to use an iPad and said they'd start when I gave them an iPad. I told them our stuff wouldn't run on that so they told their new manager who promptly fired them.

This is the story of the 6 minute user. The guy was 20-21 and clearly thought he was hot poo poo.

We do not teach computers in school we assume they learn at home but their parents don't know how to use a computer either. Most people are now moving away from desktops and going to mobile devices. There are people who are just getting into the work force that will touch their first computer at work.

The question is, is is the employees responsibility to train the user how to use Windows, or is this a "basic life skill" and if it is where are they supposed to learn this? (Elementary school in my opinion with a course on word and excel in high school, make it a standardized test that everyone has to pass for a high school diploma)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pixaal posted:

What the hell lol

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Nobody under 20 knows how to use a computer other than ipad or iphone anymore

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I had computer classes as far back as elementary school, and I definitely remember taking keyboarding and computer applications classes in high school. I don't think these classes exist anymore. My daughters have loving iPads in their classrooms, but there aren't any desktop computers besides the one the teachers use.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Odd posted:

Today i got 3 phone calls while i was at work, claiming that they were from the department of social security and that my social security number has been "deactivated". I looked it up and this is obvioiusly a scam, what should I do? Also what do you guys do when you get obvious scam calls?

Dude was shooting up innocent people in a mosque while the real invaders were making scam calls and stealing his cell phone minutes.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Statutory Ape posted:

The only person I've seen fall for one of those scams was a lady in her mid-30s. She had already handed over $1400 worth of iTunes and Google Play gift cards to the dude on the phone by the time I realized what was going on and told her to call the cops.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pixaal posted:

40% of the population can't use a basic search :cripes:

I wonder what the cross section is between that and red hat wearers

I bet it’s pretty large

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

pixaal posted:

But it caps the age of participants to 65.

That does not mean there are not a lot of old people aged under 65 - it is about the shape of the distribution, not just how far it tapers at the top end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

pixaal posted:

We do not teach computers in school we assume they learn at home but their parents don't know how to use a computer either. Most people are now moving away from desktops and going to mobile devices. There are people who are just getting into the work force that will touch their first computer at work.

The question is, is is the employees responsibility to train the user how to use Windows, or is this a "basic life skill" and if it is where are they supposed to learn this? (Elementary school in my opinion with a course on word and excel in high school, make it a standardized test that everyone has to pass for a high school diploma)

you're not wrong. im dating an intelligent, tho younger woman. she works in a law firm and is finishing a law degree and she wanted to email herself something or something like that from my work laptop so i just was like, oh yeah sure, np, have at it

she basically stared at the screen blankly and was like "how send email????"

i was like cmon lady im p sure you can just loving intuit it at this point jfc.

E: also, related. i make a lot of calls for work. my cell phone number is ABX-XXX-YYCY and i swear tf it impacts the likelihood that ppl actually answer my calls lol

Worf fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 19, 2019